A New Order.

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gnombat

Re: A New Order.

Post by gnombat »

HenryY2020 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 1:50 pm Is it just me or is A New Order basically the sequel to Soldier of Wesnoth?
I think it would be more accurate to say that Soldier of Wesnoth is a prequel to A New Order.

(A New Order was released in 2005, while Soldier of Wesnoth was written later, in 2013.)
HenryY2020

Post by HenryY2020 »

gnombat wrote: June 9th, 2021, 5:49 pm
HenryY2020 wrote: June 9th, 2021, 1:50 pm Is it just me or is A New Order basically the sequel to Soldier of Wesnoth?
I think it would be more accurate to say that Soldier of Wesnoth is a prequel to A New Order.

(A New Order was released in 2005, while Soldier of Wesnoth was written later, in 2013.)
Got it, thanks.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

It's just you actually. :D
SoW is by far younger than ANO and there have never been any attempts to reconcilate the timelines of these two campaigns, or to fit ANO into the Dragon War canon.

It's an interesting idea though.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Konrad2 wrote: June 12th, 2021, 11:58 am It's just you actually. :D
SoW is by far younger than ANO and there have never been any attempts to reconcilate the timelines of these two campaigns, or to fit ANO into the Dragon War canon.
Well, the narrator in Soldier of Wesnoth mentions the Akladians, so it must have been intended to be part of the same continuity ...
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

gnombat wrote: June 12th, 2021, 12:26 pm Well, the narrator in Soldier of Wesnoth mentions the Akladians, so it must have been intended to be part of the same continuity ...
Huh. I think I somewhat remember that mention... So if anything, SoW would be unofficially part of the Akladian verse, but it's not trying very hard to be, beyond that one comment. It's probably possible because neither insist on referencing things from the other story, nor do they deny anything about each other.
HenryY2020

Post by HenryY2020 »

Just asking but is this campaign canon? I've seen this page (https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Garardine_Dynasty) and I'm not sure if it makes A New Order campaign as canon or not.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

HenryY2020 wrote: June 21st, 2021, 9:00 am Just asking but is this campaign canon? I've seen this page (https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Garardine_Dynasty) and I'm not sure if it makes A New Order campaign as canon or not.
Well, in general, the only things you can rely on as "canon" are the mainline campaigns (i.e., the campaigns that come with the game). The wiki might mention things from add-ons in a few places; but the wiki and campaigns on the add-on server are not necessarily consistent or up-to-date with the mainline campaigns.

That having been said...
  • A New Order is a very popular and well-regarded add-on campaign
  • It has been around almost as long as the game itself (since 2005)
  • I don't think there is anything in it that actually contradicts existing canon
So, you may well see references to the events of A New Order in other add-on campaigns (for example. Soldier of Wesnoth).
HenryY2020

Post by HenryY2020 »

gnombat wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 1:43 pm
HenryY2020 wrote: June 21st, 2021, 9:00 am Just asking but is this campaign canon? I've seen this page (https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Garardine_Dynasty) and I'm not sure if it makes A New Order campaign as canon or not.
Well, in general, the only things you can rely on as "canon" are the mainline campaigns (i.e., the campaigns that come with the game). The wiki might mention things from add-ons in a few places; but the wiki and campaigns on the add-on server are not necessarily consistent or up-to-date with the mainline campaigns.

That having been said...
  • A New Order is a very popular and well-regarded add-on campaign
  • It has been around almost as long as the game itself (since 2005)
  • I don't think there is anything in it that actually contradicts existing canon
So, you may well see references to the events of A New Order in other add-on campaigns (for example. Soldier of Wesnoth).
Thanks for your reply. I'm planning to make an add-on that takes place right after King Konrad II dies. I'm not sure if that's a good idea since add-ons like this existed.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

HenryY2020 wrote: June 23rd, 2021, 11:49 am Thanks for your reply. I'm planning to make an add-on that takes place right after King Konrad II dies. I'm not sure if that's a good idea since add-ons like this existed.
I would not worry too much about conflicts with other add-on campaigns; an enormous number of add-on campaigns have been written over the years, some of which tend to contradict others, and it is not really possible to avoid inconsistencies arising among them.

On the other hand, it sounds like it would not be very difficult to make your campaign consistent with A New Order, if you want to do so; A New Order takes place many years after the death of King Konrad II. Note that the page https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Garardine_Dynasty was originally written a long time ago (2007) and some of the information appears to be inaccurate; in particular the timing of the events of A New Order seems to be off by 50-100 years. (I'm comparing it to the history described in the file scenarios/Timeline.txt from the A New Order add-on itself.)
HenryY2020

Post by HenryY2020 »

Good to know. Thanks for the reply.
egallager

Post by egallager »

I'd just like to post the latest potfile I've generated here, for any translators unable to download it from GitHub:
wesnoth-A_New_Order.pot.gz
(128.94 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
szopen

Post by szopen »

It would be advisable to change the readme.txt wrt moneybookers and paypal part (about funding portraits and other art). While no one actually has donated in last few years, IF someone would nevertheless to do that, it would be better if the donation would go to someone who actually is in charge of the campaign.

Similarly, maybe it would be reasonably to delegate my email adresses to secondary role and add current maintainer's email as primary
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH
egallager

Post by egallager »

szopen wrote: August 17th, 2021, 1:04 pm It would be advisable to change the readme.txt wrt moneybookers and paypal part (about funding portraits and other art). While no one actually has donated in last few years, IF someone would nevertheless to do that, it would be better if the donation would go to someone who actually is in charge of the campaign.
OK, done here in 76b4867: https://github.com/cooljeanius/A_New_Order/commit/76b486705b91b57332d676557026f8351291c610
Similarly, maybe it would be reasonably to delegate my email adresses to secondary role and add current maintainer's email as primary
You mean in the _server.pbl? Yumi would have to make that change; she's the one with that file currently...
Last edited by egallager on December 1st, 2022, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
egallager

Post by egallager »

Last edited by egallager on December 1st, 2022, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
szopen

Post by szopen »

Egallager, cool job! One note re: ""still has the two of them disagreeing, so don't use that; come up with something better instead" and the image for "Karen and Lorin finally getting along". It is supposed to be Gawen being clueless about their true relations, and was originally used with intentions of making a humorous effect. They never actually get along.
"Even when the Slav is gay the effort is often evident" -- P. R. RADOSAVLJEVICH