[UMC] Looking for help with a new campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mentos987

[UMC] Looking for help with a new campaign

Post by mentos987 »

Hi, I am new to this modding scene but I have done some in other games. I am looking to start up a campaign that would require a fair bit of work and I am looking for help with it, I don't foresee any major problems but the more the merrier. If nothing else I would like someone to bounce ideas off of.

I have a long list of ideas for the campaign but the main gist is this:
  • Base building similar to "Wild frontiers" but more linear and restricted.
  • One main campaign map similar to "Wild frontiers" but hand crafted.
  • This map will be huge but you will only be able to access a ninth of the map at the start, the rest is unlocked in later scenarios.
  • A linear story with a main mission each scenario and a few side missions.
  • Several changes to mechanics, sacrificing units will be part of the norm, remove need to grant kills for exp, a magic system, an item system, more..

I am going for a similar feel to the WC3 campaign "The Founding of Durotar".

I expect this project would take me a month (40 hours) to finish the first scenario alone. Three months for the rest (9 scenarios in total, with room for expansion)
(50% coding, 25% map crafting, 25% story crafting) for the first scenario. Since I am no artist I plan on reusing assets from the main game.

If any of this sounds interesting to you or if you just feel like helping out, please respond here or in Discord (Durzi#2027).
I have no expectations from any of you, I just like working in teams.
Last edited by mentos987 on September 21st, 2021, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
WINR

Re: Looking for help with a new campaign

Post by WINR »

Sounds like a brave project.
I'll try to help in a way or the other.
Are you planning to have a public repo or just a team repo?
The real fun starts when you code your first campaign
mentos987

Re: Looking for help with a new campaign

Post by mentos987 »

I have never held a GitHub project before and I don't know what the work and benefits involved are. I guess the answer depends on how many people are interested in getting involved.
Heindal

Re: [UMC] Looking for help with a new campaign

Post by Heindal »

Your concept is pretty ambitious, I´m not quite sure it can be done as an inexperienced modder. I'd say start small and then improve the concept bit by bit.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
mentos987

Re: [UMC] Looking for help with a new campaign

Post by mentos987 »

Heindal wrote: September 21st, 2021, 9:02 pm Your concept is pretty ambitious, I´m not quite sure it can be done as an inexperienced modder. I'd say start small and then improve the concept bit by bit.
Oh, I don't plan on doing anything new, except maybe a few spell effects. All the concepts that I have in mind are inspired from existing work.

And I do have 500+ hours in lua code, although not for Wesnoth.

But starting small and improving bit by bit is what I plan to do. Adding magic and item systems will come later. Right now I am trying to drum up some interest for the project. I would gladly talk though the plans if anyone want to do it over Discord.