Rebellion in the fields -- intermediate campaign BfW 1.14 (7 scenarios)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mercurius999

Rebellion in the fields -- intermediate campaign BfW 1.14 (7 scenarios)

Post by mercurius999 »

Hello folks!

This is my first campaign and I'll be glad to listen your comments. It is a project i started long time ago but I want to share it before it disappears (it seems I started it in 2010!).

Here do you have the rar file and I'd like to receive suggestion from your part before to uploading it to the official server:
Rebellion_in_the_fields.rar
(3.16 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
I tried to present different strategic problems each scenario, with some innovation about enemy movements. Infact they will be almost never moved by the default AI but they will persuit their own goal.

History

The action take place in the Dulatus Hills 590 YW when this part of the wolrd was at the border of Wesnoth. The south part of Dulatus Hills zone is exploited by local westhonians that, not controlled by a central power, often exceed taking from farmers and shepherds.

The friction between wesnothian army and local farmer will be the spark of the rebellion.

You will impersonate a shepherd with his young brothers and his loyal shepherd dog Baccus against the arrogant power of the loacl army.

During this campaign you will benefit of many loyal units as you will have no gold for a lot of time. You can be supported by Paesants and after by Bowmen but they will be Neutral aligned because of some elfish blood heritage, as explained in the dialogues.

Strategy and Tactics

Each scenario pose a different strategic problem: you might be asked to block the enemy path, ambush them, help your friends to escape.. No one of the six playable scenarios is a plain fight.

I treated to limit the storytelling as shorter as possible, but these few lines are worth to read.

WML implementation

I have done my best to craft some decent behaviour in the WML and I ended with 42k of funcions utils/utils.cfg and it is a lot for me. The main idea is to have an army of enemies or more of them, moving in a close formation or defending togheter some crucial point of the map. In later scenarios I also tried to balance the enemy side inspecting the player one in the aim of proposing everythime a challenging battle.

My code for sure need a lot of cleaning and optimisation, for sure due to my limited understanding of the WML, but it seems to work the way I planned so I'm quit happy with it.

my best wishes and have fun!
L*

PS (resolved: see below) if I try to upload the campaign to the official add-ons server I get an error about invalid path for campaign icon. In my _main.cfg I have

Code: Select all

icon="units/human-peasants/peasant.png~RC(magenta>red)"
and I suppose it is correct. perhaps something about path specification has changed recently? Should I review all my inluded path for errors? TIA
Last edited by mercurius999 on May 19th, 2021, 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
vghetto

Re: Rebellion in the fields -- intermediate campaign BfW 1.14 (7 scenarios)

Post by vghetto »

It's probably complaining about the image in _server.pbl, not _main.cfg.
mercurius999

Post by mercurius999 »

thanks vghetto it was indeed _server.pbl having a leading images/ in the path specification.
I have uploaded to the official server.
I wait for other suggestions

L*
mercurius999

Post by mercurius999 »

hello folks!

no one took some time to test it? Come on it is my first effort.. :) It is interesting also in the wml implementation.
I'have uploaded to official server and i noticed some download: I wait for your comments

L*
Ptitboul

Post by Ptitboul »

Hello. It seems that there are not so many players testing the new campaigns. My own new campaign has had a few players, but not much. I guess that part of the motivation in making a campaign needs to be by playing your campaign yourself...

Here is some feedback on your campaign, at medium difficulty.

The first scenario is nice, but I lost two peasants. I don't know if it is expected that we save them all.

The second scenario is more complex. The tactic seems to sacrify some peasants to wound the soldiers, so they split and go to villages to heal. And then kill them one by one, preferably during the night. The horses are slightly easier to kill, with ranged attacks. At the end of the scenario, I had only two peasants left (both loyal, one strong and one quick).

In the third scenario I went against the horses first. They seemed to be easier to kill, especially with the elves and their bows. And therefore did not defend the villages against the soldiers, who anyway are slower. At turn 14 I have killed 16 enemies but it is the time to flee, they are too many. They have burned three villages and they don't seem to burn any other village. And they are not very agressive, which is enough to win the scenario.

That's it. I did not start the fourth one yet.
My campaign, Bloodlust, is is need of feedback!