Journey Into the Dwarven Roots (Campaign for 1.16.x)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ashmyr

Re: Dwarvish Kingdom (Campaign for 1.14.x)

Post by Ashmyr »

Any suggestions on balance, difficult, gold, recruits, turns or plot would be greatly appreciated. :) I appreciate the suggestions so far.
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
More campaigns to come soon :)
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

The undead allies was a big one for sure, but also having the arcanister line and the troll ally too. And just wait until 1.15/16 when you get different mushroom terrains :)
Forgot to mention this.

The S2 "Unit Dialogue" can be a bit wordy so I'm gonna fix it later but the Arcansiter, while there, has been nerfed. The melee damage increases by only 3-4 iirc, but the main benefit is the ranged fire attack (6-1 for runesmiths [Arolmar is dextrous so it's higher for him] and 7-2 for runemasters) becomes Magical, and thus a lot more useful :) The Arcanister originally had an attack **double** that of the Runemaster so I nerfed him but the magic fire somewhat makes up for it I think.

Edit: Formatting.
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

The update is mostly ready now with a buff for the Dwarvish Mage. Just waiting on a friend for dialogue still, most everything else is done.
Novice campaign creator.
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

UPDATE:

I will have all TODOs done by the next update. However my dialogue-writers are still busy and will likely not be free until after the weekend. I apologize for the delay, but I will try and make up for it by having both S4 and S5 done, maybe S6 as well, by the new update. :)
Novice campaign creator.
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

UPDATE: The next update will include

- Tunnels of Flame (DONE, but need friend to re-do dialogue)
- Fixed alchemist portrait (DONE)
- Fixed Master of Alchemy and Potion Smith sprites (DONE)
- Jeman should be a DK Guardsman now (DONE)
- The Spearman should be nerfed (DONE)
- The mage should have a slightly more powerful cold attack, with the resistances improved (DONE)
- The Spiders replaced with a lvl 2 (DONE)
- Tentacles and 2 more Fire Guardians added to S3 (DONE)
- Slight revisions on S3 map (DONE)
- Semas spawns after enemy leader is killed with the suggestion Mirion wrote (DONE)
- Undead allies die after enemy leader dies (DONE)
- Side 3 in S2 and Side 2 in S2 both avoid village terrains (DONE)
- The burial ground feels more burial ground-y. There are more skeletons now but the raiders have more income to balance this out.
- Jeman and Dulotmos have Leadership now (debating if this is too powerful -- I like giving heroes/loyal units little bonuses to make them slightly better. Arolmar's bonus is that he is Dextrous . Though I haven't thought of anything for Semas..)
- Passages in S2 are widened.
- The camera now pans to show the cave in/earthquake to the south. It goes a little faster than I'd like but I don't know how to adjust the speed.
- 2 tentacles and 2 fire guardians added to S3

The next update will probably be out Monday. If anyone has more suggestions before then, let me know. I'm debating how well the portraits actually fit the characters but for now I like them
Novice campaign creator.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

(debating if this is too powerful -- I like giving heroes/loyal units little bonuses to make them slightly better.
Compared to what other users do. This is fine.

BTW, 6-7 posts in a row XD. LOL.
2 tentacles
Not sure how they fit into an underground lake...wait, never mind I figured it out.
The Spiders replaced with a lvl 2 (DONE)
There goes 32 XP down the drain. I could have used that for some level ups.

Suggestion: would it be possible to include experience_modifier={ON_DIFFICULTY 80 100 120} or something similar to compensate for taking away the XP from the spiders?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Ashmyr wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 4:01 pm Though I haven't thought of anything for Semas..
An idea I just had: since he's an ulfserker, how about making him extra strong? With this I mean that, instead of the mainline strong trait (which has +1 melee and +1 hp), he should get a custom extra strong trait with +2 melee damage and +2 hitpoints.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 4:24 pm BTW, 6-7 posts in a row XD. LOL.
Yeah. Forums work differently than Discord, and multiple posts that are just a few minutes apart are usually discouraged. Besides, even if you don't post so often we're aware that you're working on the campaign, so don't rush :)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Elvish_Hunter wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 5:19 pm An idea I just had: since he's an ulfserker, how about making him extra strong? With this I mean that, instead of the mainline strong trait (which has +1 melee and +1 hp), he should get a custom extra strong trait with +2 melee damage and +2 hitpoints.
I could try to do that. I don't know how but I'll look at the code for some campaigns which have custom traits and figure it out. I do like making Loyal units a little better than an average unit, just with "Free" instead of one other trait. A lot of Loyal units are supposed to be "heroes" in some form after all.
Yeah. Forums work differently than Discord, and multiple posts that are just a few minutes apart are usually discouraged. Besides, even if you don't post so often we're aware that you're working on the campaign, so don't rush :)
Alright. I'll do better at condensing my posts into one message. If I have another idea or update I'll either wait a day or put it in the last post.

----

Also, new update:

Dulotmos, Arolmar, Semas, Jeman and Garug should all have unique death messages in a new update..though I do seem to use "Aargh" a lot, I'll see what I can do to make them more unique, lol.
Novice campaign creator.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Ashmyr wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 6:56 pm
Elvish_Hunter wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 5:19 pm An idea I just had: since he's an ulfserker, how about making him extra strong? With this I mean that, instead of the mainline strong trait (which has +1 melee and +1 hp), he should get a custom extra strong trait with +2 melee damage and +2 hitpoints.
I could try to do that. I don't know how but I'll look at the code for some campaigns which have custom traits and figure it out.
You can honestly just adjust the "strong" trait in the core/macros/traits (I think.)

Code: Select all

#define TRAIT_ULF_STRONG
    # Units with trait Ulfstrong get a +2 increment in hitpoints and melee damage.
    [trait]
        id=ulfstrong
        help_text= _ "This guy is ulfstrong!"
        [effect]
            apply_to=attack
            range=melee
            increase_damage=2
        [/effect]
        [effect]
            apply_to=hitpoints
            increase_total=2
        [/effect]
    [/trait]
#enddef
EDIT:
If you really wanted to have a field day, you could make him gain 1 dmg every time he levels up, have him start with normal strong then build up from there. But that might be overdoing it for a side-character.
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

The easiest way to do this is adding strong twice.

[modifications]
    {TRAIT_STRONG}
    {TRAIT_STRONG}
[/modifications]
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Mirion147 wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 7:48 pm
Ashmyr wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 6:56 pm
I could try to do that. I don't know how but I'll look at the code for some campaigns which have custom traits and figure it out.
You can honestly just adjust the "strong" trait in the core/macros/traits (I think.)

#define TRAIT_ULF_STRONG
    # Units with trait Ulfstrong get a +2 increment in hitpoints and melee damage.
    [trait]
        id=ulfstrong
        help_text= _ "This guy is ulfstrong!"
        [effect]
            apply_to=attack
            range=melee
            increase_damage=2
        [/effect]
        [effect]
            apply_to=hitpoints
            increase_total=2
        [/effect]
    [/trait]
#enddef
EDIT:
If you really wanted to have a field day, you could make him gain 1 dmg every time he levels up, have him start with normal strong then build up from there. But that might be overdoing it for a side-character.
1. I will try that, that code looks good. :) Hoping it'll work, the extra damage will be helpful.
2. That's just feeding but with damage instead of help, haha. And...it'd get too powerful after a while, lol, people would exploit it. Fun suggestion but no thanks.

And unrelated notes:

I have playtested the Tunnels of Flame scenario a few times and I'm not entirely confident about it -- the enemy sides run out of units a little faster than I'd like. I'm going to playtest a few more times, hopefully it'll be finished by the time my friend can edit my dialogue around Monday.

With my turn limits, I want Medium players to be able to finish with 1/3 to 1/4 of the turns left. The Tunnels scenario is turning out to finish a bit more than that. I should mention I playtest on Medium so Easy may not be too Easy and Hard may not be too Hard, I think I'll try to balance that better later. Right now though, I am really happy with S2 and I don't think I want any more changes to it. it's more or less what I want in a beginning scenario -- Not too easy, not too much of a challenge. S3 I'm happy with as well, though I'm wondering about the time limit. I haven't exactly made a campaign before, just a bunch of massive scenarios for myself, so gold and turns may be off.
Novice campaign creator.
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Dwarvish Kingdom 0.0.3 will be out in an hour or so! Along with the changes I listed above, Scenario 4 should be done. Scenario 5, which I originally planned to be a branching campaign path, will no longer be so -- It will just be one scenario. Hopefully the gameplay looks good, I have implemented a big last-minute change.

Also, Semas should have the extra strong trait.

Edit: The last part.
Novice campaign creator.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Replays
For replays, watch with PRNG enabled. Otherwise, there is a crash.
DK-Tunnels of Flame replay.gz
(31.16 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
DK-Feral Tunnels replay.gz
(20.79 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Commentary
Scenario 2 - Feral Tunnels
  • It's way easier than before and I am on Hard difficulty
  • rescuing the loyal Whelp is possible now
  • Those nerfed down spiders seem like someone nailed their legs to the cave floor. 4MP. :lol:
  • Less XP gained than last time.
  • Dwarven Flamethrower stats are unsatisfactory.
Scenario 3 - Tunnels of Flame
  • Needs better name. Caverns of Flame
  • Goblins? Really? Where did they even come from? Why are they so near the Drake Enclave?
  • Troll Shamans vs Drakes? LOL :lol: :lol:
  • What happened to the Drakes as enemies thing?
  • Bat swarm? Why..just why? :augh:
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 6th, 2021, 10:10 pm
Scenario 2 - Feral Tunnels
  • It's way easier than before and I am on Hard difficulty
  • rescuing the loyal Whelp is possible now
  • Those nerfed down spiders seem like someone nailed their legs to the cave floor. 4MP. :lol:
  • Less XP gained than last time.
  • Dwarven Flamethrower stats are unsatisfactory.
Spoiler:
Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 6th, 2021, 10:10 pm
Scenario 3 - Tunnels of Flame
  • Needs better name. Caverns of Flame
  • Goblins? Really? Where did they even come from? Why are they so near the Drake Enclave?
  • Troll Shamans vs Drakes? LOL :lol: :lol:
  • What happened to the Drakes as enemies thing?
  • Bat swarm? Why..just why? :augh:
Spoiler:
Novice campaign creator.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Okay, so I did a full play through and I have some notes on multiple aspects of the campaign. Keep in mind that I went rather in-depth, but am no expert on anything so this could be ignored without incident :P :

Dialog:
Spoiler:
And then gameplay:
Spoiler:
I apologize for how chaotic my thoughts are but I wanted to post them while I had the time. So they are not very refined/organized. :whistle:
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!