The Demon of our Ourselves [1.16]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

fable_lake

Re: The Demon Of Our Ourselves - FINAL [Wesnoth 1.14.15]

Post by fable_lake »

Konrad2 wrote: May 7th, 2021, 12:33 pm Spirit of Flame
Seems to be able to level up, but the help lists no advancement.
The ranged attack has no icon.
Thanks for detecting this I have already fixed it, in the next update I will release this problem will be solve.
Konrad2 wrote: May 7th, 2021, 12:33 pm Is there a special reason why
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

You are using an old way to award the campaign completion laurel, so people only get the silver one instead of the gold one.

See this issue on how to fix it: #3983
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I am playing it right now; looks quite nice. Some of the abilities seem a bit strong
(+5 movement in particular) but this is minor.

I am in one campaign though where I have to defend a cave or ice pass or something.
An orcish unit sneaked past and killed a civilian inside and I lost.

Would it be possible to add the loss condition into the overview? I skipped the
intro of that scenario so I was surprised when a civilian dying led to the failure
of the scenario.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

That reminds me ... the unit that turns to stone during daylight. I think it
cripples him too much. Perhaps turn him into stoneform but still allow
him to attack? But with fewer attacks and less damage. Losing all
attacks during day is IMO making the unit too bad right now.

The idea is a fun idea so I don't recommend to remove it - only to adapt
it a bit.
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Hi shevegen
shevegen wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:40 am I am playing it right now; looks quite nice.
Nice that you like it
shevegen wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:40 am Some of the abilities seem a bit strong
(+5 movement in particular) but this is minor.
Yes, the main characters units are quite strong. This is on purpose because they are Heroes, such as example Heracles (Maybe not so strong as him)

shevegen wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:40 am I am in one campaign though where I have to defend a cave or ice pass or something.
An orcish unit sneaked past and killed a civilian inside and I lost.

Would it be possible to add the loss condition into the overview?

I'm sure Objective Lose says "Death of any Citizen" when you open it. Maybe you missed it.

shevegen wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:40 am I skipped the
intro of that scenario
Huh ... Okay

shevegen wrote: July 22nd, 2021, 2:42 am That reminds me ... the unit that turns to stone during daylight. I think it
cripples him too much. Perhaps turn him into stoneform but still allow
him to attack? But with fewer attacks and less damage. Losing all
attacks during day is IMO making the unit too bad right now.

The idea is a fun idea so I don't recommend to remove it - only to adapt
it a bit.
Ah, this unit was ported, I am not its author. It was added because I thought it was great especially in sieges where it can hold its position almost immortally. But the fact is that it is not very balanced, it is more suitable for positions holding the front. But in the future, I do not rule out balancing its skills.
oror

Post by oror »

Hi, I get an error:
Error while playing the game: game_error: Could not find the unit being advanced to: Giant Troll
when an armoured troll needs to advance
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Hi, Nice that You report bug
oror wrote: September 29th, 2021, 3:33 am Hi, I get an error:
Error while playing the game: game_error: Could not find the unit being advanced to: Giant Troll
when an armoured troll needs to advance
The new version of the campaing was already published v5.0.8 with correction of this mistake.
oror

Post by oror »

ok, thanks, I thought I had all updated but it was actually still 5.0.7
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

oror wrote: September 29th, 2021, 10:23 am ok, thanks, I thought I had all updated but it was actually still 5.0.7
When you reported this bug, v5.0.7 was still the latest version. So then you had the newest version of the campaign and after your message regarding this bug I released a quick update to fix it which is v5.0.8, so your message help me very much.

Anyway I forget to explain what I do in update.
Spoiler:
marcelius

Re: The Demon Of Our Ourselves

Post by marcelius »

Hi, just started playing this campaign on medium and it is a really nice and colorful story. Cool campaign.
A small issue is that the text is sometimes a bit too much between the campaigns, lots of reading. Maybe make it a bit more concise.

And now I have reached Hope Dies Last and I seem to get totally overrun by an endless horde of enemies. Maybe I am totally missing the strategy there, but so far it seems hopelessly hard for me. The enemies are recruiting for 14 turns without running out of gold and I need to defend 3 sides. Either I miss something or the difficulty hikes up a lot there.

I am not a very experienced player and am including a savegame with 14 turns. Maybe you see what is going wrong.
Attachments
TDooO-Hope Dies Last Runde 14.gz
(226.95 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
fable_lake

Post by fable_lake »

Hi
marcelius wrote: December 10th, 2021, 9:46 pm Hi, just started playing this campaign on medium and it is a really nice and colorful story. Cool campaign.
Thank you for such kind words, i put a lot of heart into it.
marcelius wrote: December 10th, 2021, 9:46 pm A small issue is that the text is sometimes a bit too much between the campaigns, lots of reading. Maybe make it a bit more concise.
I think for me it can't be helped, I just really like writing and making long stories :D
marcelius wrote: December 10th, 2021, 9:46 pm And now I have reached Hope Dies Last and I seem to get totally overrun by an endless horde of enemies. Maybe I am totally missing the strategy there, but so far it seems hopelessly hard for me. The enemies are recruiting for 14 turns without running out of gold and I need to defend 3 sides. Either I miss something or the difficulty hikes up a lot there.

I am not a very experienced player and am including a savegame with 14 turns. Maybe you see what is going wrong.
I downloaded your save and got familiar with the situation.

The tactic in the Hope Dies Last scenario is something like tower defense and the player's task is to withstand the massive enemy army. In this case, the charge with your branch is not enough and you have to build a defense, preferably in a cave and defend it so that the orcs do not get inside.

Small Spoiler:
Spoiler:
marcelius

Re: The Demon of our Ourselves [Wesnoth 1.14 - 1.16]

Post by marcelius »

The tactic in the Hope Dies Last scenario is something like tower defense and the player's task is to withstand the massive enemy army. In this case, the charge with your branch is not enough and you have to build a defense, preferably in a cave and defend it so that the orcs do not get inside.
I see, thanks for the hint. I think what was misleading me to try securing and keep holding the perimeter was that I did not want to concede all villages outside and read the objective so that I need to defeat the enemy armies. But it seems they have so much gold and income, that it indeed hardly matters. They are recruiting for 14 turns fullspeed anyway and I was not expecting that. I expected them to run out of gold or throttle recruiting after a hand full of turns. In which case I could probably have held out with my lvl 3 troops.

Turtling in the cave certainly sounds a lot easier, I was afraid to be sealed off then by a huge horde of troops with good income and then run out of turns. That is what made me try to defend the mountain perimeter.
marcelius

Re: The Demon of our Ourselves [Wesnoth 1.14 - 1.16]

Post by marcelius »

Ok, turtling and waiting for the pretty massive support helps a lot. The support is actually even a slight bit too strong.

Nevertheless it was at one point fairly tight because one of the peasant fighters decided to do a suicide move jumping in front of the defensive line of the fortress. So I had to overextend and follow him and pray the single attack on him does not hit. Was lucky (I use the biased random generator, so no save loading possible).

Interesting turn btw with the fire daemon attack at the end. :D
Attachments
TDooO-Battle of Ice and Chase Aufzeichnung abspielen 20211212-212440.gz
(183.71 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
TDooO-Hope Dies Last Aufzeichnung abspielen 20211212-135230.gz
(190.82 KiB) Downloaded 22 times