A Song of the Winds (prequel to The Dragon Trilogy, SP Campaign for 1.14 & 1.15)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Re: A Song of the Winds (prequel to The Dragon Trilogy, SP Campaign for 1.14)

Post by revansurik »

Konrad2 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 5:40 pm How strong is my army supposed to be when saving the elvish lord? I'm stuck in that scenario (on hard) because no matter what I get overrun by turn 20. :(
I had a few lvl 2 units (playing on Normal), and had no issue... What strategy are you using?
Spoiler:
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I used the first strategy, but that left most of my army in the south, so therer were no help once the new enemy wave arrived. Then I modified it and finished the enemy off (barely) with a small number of units while sending most of them back to the keep where I was overrun.

But FTR I had barely 2-3 lvl units except heroes because I made a point not to kill any Elves in the previous scenarios, which left me apparently underleveled.
Now I've finished replaying from the start with the strategy to crush everyone, leaving me with a far stronger army. I'll still have to see if I can make it work now.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Konrad2 wrote: February 8th, 2021, 3:28 pm I used the first strategy, but that left most of my army in the south, so therer were no help once the new enemy wave arrived. Then I modified it and finished the enemy off (barely) with a small number of units while sending most of them back to the keep where I was overrun.

But FTR I had barely 2-3 lvl units except heroes because I made a point not to kill any Elves in the previous scenarios, which left me apparently underleveled.
Now I've finished replaying from the start with the strategy to crush everyone, leaving me with a far stronger army. I'll still have to see if I can make it work now.
Let me know how you fare with more leveled units. I did manage to beat this scenario without much difficulty, but I played in on normal; on hard, I chose the strategy of focusing all my forces in Esthiel and defending it from the walls, leaving the elves to fight off the brunt of the enemy forces. (Then again, I'm not a very good playtester because I'm a chronic save-loader :oops: )

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

FTR, here is the replay of me being overrun.
Attachments
ASotW-Tempest death replay.gz
(119.98 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Scales2

Post by Scales2 »

I just destroyed the well of memories in the "At the Crossroads of Time And Space" and received the following error message after some dialogue:

<Lua error> lua/wml-tags.lua:875: bad argument #2 to teleport (location expected, got string)
stack traceback:
[C:] in field 'teleport'
lua/wml-tags.lua:875 : in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-utils.lua:145: in field 'handle_events_commands'
lua/wml-flow.lua:20: in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-flow.lua:6: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:5>

The scenario then just continues with no cues on how to proceed. I have a saved game if you wish to see it for yourself.

Also, not sure if you meant for Deni's leveling to be available for all Farstriders, but it is. It's a nice perk to have 3 or 4 quick units for scouting, but it seems to be a bug.

Lastly, I've played all of your campaigns and enjoyed them mostly (WoJ the best, ASoF next, and Aria was ok but not as good). Thank you for making them.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Scales2 wrote: February 10th, 2021, 5:53 am I just destroyed the well of memories in the "At the Crossroads of Time And Space" and received the following error message after some dialogue:

<Lua error> lua/wml-tags.lua:875: bad argument #2 to teleport (location expected, got string)
stack traceback:
[C:] in field 'teleport'
lua/wml-tags.lua:875 : in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-flow.lua:20: in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-flow.lua:6: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:5>

The scenario then just continues with no cues on how to proceed. I have a saved game if you wish to see it for yourself.
Ugh, I can't believe it :augh: :doh:
I'm not letting you replay that entire scenario, so use debug to jump straight to the next scenario (open the chat box, type debug, then type the letter 'n').
In the next scenario, see if Hathor appears, or if an error message shows about a certain variable not existing, then let me know what happens. If you get the missing variable, I'll give you a modified version of that scenario file (I'm about to go to sleep as it's past 3 am where I live, and I'm typing this from my cellphone). Tomorrow as soon as I can I'll upload a new version correcting that bug. I swear it didn't happen to me when I was playing :|
Also, not sure if you meant for Deni's leveling to be available for all Farstriders, but it is. It's a nice perk to have 3 or 4 quick units for scouting, but it seems to be a bug.
Yep, definitely did not mean that :doh:
Lastly, I've played all of your campaigns and enjoyed them mostly (WoJ the best, ASoF next, and Aria was ok but not as good). Thank you for making them.
Thanks! I hope ASotW ranks better than Aria then :lol:
FTR, here is the replay of me being overrun.
I'll check that tomorrow too, today was a busy day for me ^^'' Guess I should re-balance that scenario. And I added The Sylvan Gates precisely to give the player a chance to level up more units before that big battle...

EDIT: By 'tomorrow' I mean this Wednesday. It's past midnight but I count the days according to my sleep :lol:

;-)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

After 'blank cipher' has been cast, the scenario objectives still mention beating the elvish lords.

And if one of them dies (still after 'blank cipher') the main elvish lord wonders why they turned against him.

Can you please stop Gil-Gawien from leaving the main keep?

EDIT:
So, I did it. :D The way I ended it had a lot to do with berserk though.
But getting there was mostly owed to having stronger units.
Attachments
ASotW-Tempest replay.gz
(147.77 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Ford

Post by Ford »

Hi, before I get to the point I want to say that I liked all of your previous campaigns a lot. The Dragon Trilogy is among my favourite Wesnoth campaigns, and this one looks really good so far, too. So thanks for creating this and all other campaigns.
However, I encountered a certain issue in "A glimpse of the darkness". It seems that if you kill Kingu after Hathor has already reverted to her normal form (which happened to me at first because Sekmet is too weak to kill Kingu on her own in just two turns, I only succeded after making sure I have as many scribes to back her up as possible) the scenario becomes impossible to finish. Kingu says his first line, but after that I only get an error message "[unstore unit]: variable 'hathor_sekmet_stored' doesn't exist". Also, if Sekmet dies, the scenario doesn't end, but that was reported already I think.
Also, I think the heretic's 'enchanted' ability might not always work, as I've seen her fireball having only 50% chance to hit instead of 60% as it should be. I'm not really sure why and when exactly it happens, though. I can let you know if I encounter this issue again, if you wish.
EDIT: Come to think of it, the heretic might have simply been dazed and I failed to notice that, so the second issue is probably not an issue after all. Sorry.
Scales2

Post by Scales2 »

revansurik wrote: February 10th, 2021, 6:19 am
Ugh, I can't believe it :augh: :doh:
I'm not letting you replay that entire scenario, so use debug to jump straight to the next scenario (open the chat box, type debug, then type the letter 'n').
In the next scenario, see if Hathor appears, or if an error message shows about a certain variable not existing, then let me know what happens. If you get the missing variable, I'll give you a modified version of that scenario file (I'm about to go to sleep as it's past 3 am where I live, and I'm typing this from my cellphone). Tomorrow as soon as I can I'll upload a new version correcting that bug. I swear it didn't happen to me when I was playing :|
Yep, definitely did not mean that :doh:
I skipped to the next scenario, "Wounded Lioness", and Hathor does not re-appear. It does have the error message about an unstore_unit hathor_stored variable not existing. I did skip to the next scenario though, and everything after that seemed okay. I assume I missed some story bits.

About the Farstriders, when you level up regular Pathfinders, it lets you choose between Deni's Farstrider unit(10 movement points) and the regular Farstrider unit(8 MP).

Just a small note about "Herald of the Winds" scenario. The scenario objective claims Abhai can recall all units except the Windsong and the Undead, In reality he can only recall the Elven units(regular and Sun-elves). Also he can recruit Sun elves and the mer-people, which is a bit inconsistent since he can't recall the mer-people.

I'm enjoying the campaign so far, though the difficulty is definitely varied, with the more difficult scenarios in the beginning with those frustrating magical hitting skirmishing unit and almost every enemy unit moving quickly regardless of terrain.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Ford wrote: February 10th, 2021, 9:40 pm Hi, before I get to the point I want to say that I liked all of your previous campaigns a lot. The Dragon Trilogy is among my favourite Wesnoth campaigns, and this one looks really good so far, too. So thanks for creating this and all other campaigns.
However, I encountered a certain issue in "A glimpse of the darkness". It seems that if you kill Kingu after Hathor has already reverted to her normal form (which happened to me at first because Sekmet is too weak to kill Kingu on her own in just two turns, I only succeded after making sure I have as many scribes to back her up as possible) the scenario becomes impossible to finish. Kingu says his first line, but after that I only get an error message "[unstore unit]: variable 'hathor_sekmet_stored' doesn't exist". Also, if Sekmet dies, the scenario doesn't end, but that was reported already I think.
Also, I think the heretic's 'enchanted' ability might not always work, as I've seen her fireball having only 50% chance to hit instead of 60% as it should be. I'm not really sure why and when exactly it happens, though. I can let you know if I encounter this issue again, if you wish.
EDIT: Come to think of it, the heretic might have simply been dazed and I failed to notice that, so the second issue is probably not an issue after all. Sorry.
Thank you for playing them! ^_^
About the issue, please read the changelog below. The issue should no longer happen (it did because I considered that Sekmet would still be active when Kingu was beaten, but now I added a conditional in case she's not). Bad news is, you'll have to replay the scenario :oops:

And here's changelog for v. 1.0.1, with the bugs mentioned so far (hopefully) corrected!

Code: Select all

Changelog V. 1.0.1
- Scenarios:
	- Wanderlust: Objectives are clearer once you destroy the obelisk; scenario won't end with the Herald of Roshanee still standing
	- Tempest: objectives now should update properly depending on whether Lanthel or Tauryen are still standing; Gil-Gawien should stay idle during the battle
	- Breath of the Earth: objectives should now update properly whether Dvalin's been found or not
	- Rage of the Winds: Windsong may only proceed to the upper hall after finishing the first Asuri
	- A Glimpse of the Darkness: unstore_unit bug should no longer happen
    - At the Crossroads of Time and Space: teleport bug at the scenario end should no longer happen
- Units:
	- Pathfinder no longer advances to Deni's unique unit type
- Miscelanea
	- Sekmet's death now triggers defeat

;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Scales2 wrote: February 11th, 2021, 7:10 am I skipped to the next scenario, "Wounded Lioness", and Hathor does not re-appear. It does have the error message about an unstore_unit hathor_stored variable not existing. I did skip to the next scenario though, and everything after that seemed okay. I assume I missed some story bits.

About the Farstriders, when you level up regular Pathfinders, it lets you choose between Deni's Farstrider unit(10 movement points) and the regular Farstrider unit(8 MP).

Just a small note about "Herald of the Winds" scenario. The scenario objective claims Abhai can recall all units except the Windsong and the Undead, In reality he can only recall the Elven units(regular and Sun-elves). Also he can recruit Sun elves and the mer-people, which is a bit inconsistent since he can't recall the mer-people.

I'm enjoying the campaign so far, though the difficulty is definitely varied, with the more difficult scenarios in the beginning with those frustrating magical hitting skirmishing unit and almost every enemy unit moving quickly regardless of terrain.
I just released a new version with a correction to the issue in scenario 27 ;) The Farstrider issue is corrected too.
As for Abhai's recall list issue... Ugh, I knew I'd missed some unit types :doh: That's due for version 1.0.2, though...
I might tweak the Asuri and the Ugallu some time. I wanted them to be tough, but maybe they were too tough ^^''

;-)
makalu

Post by makalu »

First off, thanks a lot for the effort you put on your campaings, I love them. Among the best storylines of the full game (probably best IMO) and challenging and varied scenarios!
First scenarios were very tough, I was tempted on giving up, but I choose to cheat a little because I'm very interested on playing your campaing.
Im playing the "Steps into a Nightmare" scenario and I've noticed the jinx curse is not cured by healers nor villages.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

makalu wrote: February 11th, 2021, 6:57 pm First off, thanks a lot for the effort you put on your campaings, I love them. Among the best storylines of the full game (probably best IMO) and challenging and varied scenarios!
First scenarios were very tough, I was tempted on giving up, but I choose to cheat a little because I'm very interested on playing your campaing.
Im playing the "Steps into a Nightmare" scenario and I've noticed the jinx curse is not cured by healers nor villages.
Thanks! ^_^
Yep, some people are finding the early scenarios a bit too hard... Guess I'll have to work on that ^^''
About the jinx issue, the units with that weapon special are from the War of Legends faction... Did you try posting on its thread, or contacting its owner (Lord_Knightmare)?

;-)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Rage of the Winds
For one, the first fight is quite difficult, highlevel Asuri everywhere and my allies only have some token force to contribute to fighting them.
Beyond that, your Troll ally can die as early as turn 4 because the flying Asuri are just that fast. No chance to help him, you just have to hope that it doesn't happen.
Attachments
ASotW-Rage of the Winds replay.gz
(72.39 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Ford

Post by Ford »

Some minor issues I noticed today:

During the dialogue after killing Xerxix in Ssyuriss Fen, I got an error message: "<Invalid WML found> unknown conditional wml: [filter_second]". And if you kill Xerxix with some other unit, it will still trigger dialogue as if Raika killed him, which I think might be a result of the same error.

Another thing - this is very minor and I'm not sure if really worth fixing, but I will report just in case - you can interrogate a saurian with Raika after killing Xerxix, in which case the dialogue does not reflect the facts that at this point you already know the saurians' motives and Lamiya is already rescued.

EDIT: It's possible to accidentally skip the fight against the dragon in Sparks to the Winds by killing all enemy leaders before entering dragon's fortress. If you do, the scenario ends instantly, with no dialogue. Also, am I supposed to be able to recall ships from the previous scenario?