A Song of the Winds (prequel to The Dragon Trilogy, SP Campaign for 1.14 & 1.15)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: A Song of the Winds (prequel to The Dragon Trilogy, SP Campaign for 1.14)

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Now, wth is that load log? O.o Were you unable to load the campaign?
The campaign loaded fine. However, the log is the backend. I don't know about any issues so far but I really need to pass the first scenario to probe further. Only if that stupid elf leader showed even the slightest bit of intelligence in keeping the leader safe.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
momotaro99

ASotW-Valley of Shadows does not end properly

Post by momotaro99 »

Operating System: Linux Mint 20.1
Wesnoth Version: 1.14.9 (standalone)

The bug is in "A Song Of The Winds - Valley of Shadows" using medium difficulty.

After the Dark Vortex and other shadows are eliminated the game continues without resolution. All towns are owned by Windsong or Elves, and the Elves have ceased movement. But the game continues even though objectives have been met.

I have attached move 14 (prior to the Dark Vortex running away) and move 15 (after it is gone).
The log data was scraped (copied) from the terminal screen because ">" redirection did not work.

I will play it on Steam to see if it works there.
The prior battles in this campaign were well-balanced and very enjoyable. Cheers!
Attachments
wesnoth.log
(21.66 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
ASotW-Valley of Shadows-Auto-Save15.gz
(150.42 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
ASotW-Valley of Shadows-Auto-Save14.gz
(150.5 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: ASotW-Valley of Shadows does not end properly

Post by Pentarctagon »

momotaro99 wrote: March 18th, 2021, 5:15 pm Operating System: Linux Mint 20.1
Wesnoth Version: 1.14.9 (standalone)

The bug is in "A Song Of The Winds - Valley of Shadows" using medium difficulty.

After the Dark Vortex and other shadows are eliminated the game continues without resolution. All towns are owned by Windsong or Elves, and the Elves have ceased movement. But the game continues even though objectives have been met.

I have attached move 14 (prior to the Dark Vortex running away) and move 15 (after it is gone).
The log data was scraped (copied) from the terminal screen because ">" redirection did not work.

I will play it on Steam to see if it works there.
The prior battles in this campaign were well-balanced and very enjoyable. Cheers!
Moved here since the Technical Support forums are for issues with the vanilla game, not with add-ons.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
momotaro99

Re: A Song of the Winds (prequel to The Dragon Trilogy, SP Campaign for 1.14 & 1.15)

Post by momotaro99 »

Played "A Song Of The Winds - Valley of Shadows" (on version 1.15.10) battle on Steam. Again, after the shadows were all eliminated the game continued, as in the standalone version. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this bug?
cjpw13

Re: A Song of the Winds (prequel to The Dragon Trilogy, SP Campaign for 1.14 & 1.15)

Post by cjpw13 »

I just ran into the same issue with "Valley of Shadows". I'm playing on OS X.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Why does Lamiya have the 'submerge' ability? Naga need to breath.

Why does 'Island of the Sun' have only 40% carryover instead of 100%? (Btw, maybe set income to 0 in that scenario?)

Steps into a Nightmare
Soooooo. Spotting Moving close to the enemy leader makes my allies disappear into thin air. Why?
Oooooh, nice.

Dark of the Sun, part II
Moving next to 28,30 triggers the dialog twice.
All the cells were empty. No Windsong to be freed. Why?

Sunnas AMLA don't heal her from poison.
Apparently also true for Maat. Possibly for all the AMLA you implemented.

'sun beam' (from the north) is only animated when it misses.

Breath of a Dead World
Not in your -> Not even in your

Nightfall
Those 'highest lvl' undead move around, is that intended?

Savannah Winds
When I move Deni to 15,37 a dialog happens that makes no sense.

There is an invisible amulett on 23,11 and I have no idea why it is there..?
Oh I see. You kinda already placed it before the player actually recovers it from the ruins, when recovered you only place the image instead of the item itself.

The Deshra have no icons for their attacks in the attack dialog.

EDIT:
Fun fact: you can kill the Ashen Dragon, and find Hathors home each without recruiting or recalling.

EDIT 2:
Why is the Solariel Sylph neutral?

'winter's embrace' (Snow Slyph) has no attack icon.

'sun beam' (Sun Elves) has no attack icon.
Btw, I switched to 1.15.
Attachments
ASotW-Sparks to the Winds replay.gz
(100.89 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
ASotW-Beyond the Horizon replay.gz
(122.93 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
ASotW-Savannah Winds-Auto-Save3.gz
(218.32 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
stpeter

Post by stpeter »

Thank you for this nice campaign. When playing, I was not aware that it is apparently brand new, which explains some smaller bugs or inconsistencies. I played version 1.0.2 on medium difficulty, which was on average ok for me (being quite experienced, but not in the mood of trying to beat the same scenario multiple times).

The story is quite extensive and interesting, although I found it sometimes a bit hard to keep track of all those mystical beings from long time ago. Not (simply) being able to scroll back some chapters like in a book makes it more complicated. Additionally (as already in the Dragon Trilogy), I would really appreciate a world map to keep track where I am currently strolling around.

Here are some comments on single scenarios (no guarantee that it was not already mentioned before, though...):

Winds of War
The Herald speaks a foreign language. Just out of curiosity, are this just random letters or is it somehow possible to decode that?

Wanderlust
Abhai or Kalyon, what is the Wanderer's name supposed to be? Unit name and story do not match.

Tempest
Spoiler:
A Glimpse of the Darkness
Spoiler:
The High Kalian of Hiera'Shirsha
I see the point in limiting the number of veterans to be taken over to the next levels (kind of a reset). The number could be even lower: Having eight level-3 veterans together with the five strong heroes makes already a quite remarkable army. Also I do not understand why there is no penalty for taking dwarfs and trolls. Well, they both turn out to be not extremely useful later, but still I think this should be an "either/or" decision, or the troll/dwarf units should be part of the eight units to take.

Ssyuris Fen
Spoiler:
Hearts in Flames
Spoiler:
Sparks to the Winds
Spoiler:
Dark of the Sun, part I
Spoiler:
Dark of the Sun, part II
- I did things in the wrong sequence (somehow having missed the hint that I should start searching the western parts). This made the dialogs a bit weird sometimes.
Spoiler:
Dark of he Sun, part III
I had not noticed that Hathor can recruit here. Could this be mentioned at the beginning of the scenario? Or just give her the golden leader-icon.

Savannah Winds
Nice idea in general. I found one bug: At turn 3, suddenly the "finished investigating the ruins and found an amulet" event was triggered. At that point I had not even got close to the ruins in the South. So it seems to be a bug. Later, after discovering the ruins, I was still told to leave someone there for three turns to investigate. I was a bit disappointed that nothing happened after doing this.

At the Crossroads of Time and Space
I found a bow and a sword and tried to give both of them to an Elven Captain, but it was refused. Obviously, he was neither considered a sword fighter nor an archer. This could be a bis less strict, I would say. I entered the realm of the Winter King through the back door (from the great map hall). He appeared out of thin air only when a unit had proceeded further south, which was a bit awkward.

War of the Soul
This also was a bit too easy for my taste. Enlil, Verthandi and Maat are so strong that the opponent Asuri fall like flies, even without the additional Ugallu units. I would suggest to make this either a story-only scenario or make the battle a bit more balanced.
In the final dialog, an error appears: "<Invalid WML found> Unknown conditional wml: [filter_second]"

Fields of Fire
Spoiler:
Convergence
Spoiler:
The Calm Before the Storm
Spoiler:
The Dragon Awakens
The story part is nicely done and surely surprising. The actual scenario task is, unfortunately, rather boring. There is hardly any possibility for strategic decisions.

Lightning and Fire
Spoiler:
Falling Heavens
- I am still able to recruit Windsong units. The story suggests that this should not be the case and only Sun Elves should be available.
Spoiler:
- With that much gold being involved the number of AI units is quite high, so the player cannot do much about the progress of the battle and spends much time watching the AI work. I would suggest to remove the 23 starting units for Krathon to make it more balanced and reduce the number of AI units fighting each other.

The Final Age
- Just a small remark that applies also to some of the previous scenarios: What is the gender of Kingu and Apsu supposed to be? By human standards, Kingu looks male and Apsu female, but they are occasionally (though not consistently) referred to as "she" (Kingu) and "he" (Apsu). This could be made more consistent.
Spoiler:
Ascension
Spoiler:
Well, in total, I really appreciated this campaign. Please see this review as a (very small) contribution to its furher improvement.

I am looking forward to campaigns on the creation of the Windsong order, Ashura's war and whatever more might come into your mind :)
astrakan

Post by astrakan »

Hi,

This is the first message I write, following years of love with the Wesnoth universe.

This campaign is really nice: very good job you did! All the units from the different races are new to me; I really enjoy the gameplay they offer.
cjpw13 wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 12:49 pm I just ran into the same issue with "Valley of Shadows". I'm playing on OS X.

I am however so frustrated facing the same problem in Valley of Shadows: after destroying all ennemies, the scenario does not end. I suspected a hidden unit, but this is a nightmare to find. The problem repeated even if the last unit is killed by a computer elvish unit (I started from the same scenario savefile; I didn't try going back to previous scenario).
The animation with the Shadows leader leaving the map displays when it is killed.

I play on version 1.0.4, with Wesnoth 1.14.5-53 on Android (F-droid build).

Would anyone have any suggestion? :D

[Edit] Attached save files (before and the turn after killing last unit)
Attachments
ASotW-Valley of Shadows Tour 11.gz
(103.35 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
ASotW-Valley of Shadows-Sauvegarde automatique12.gz
(102.39 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Rafvtell

Post by Rafvtell »

Hi,

First message on the wesnoth forum, I've played the various campaign (the trilogy) made by revansurik, and recently, I've returned to Wesnoth to see if anything was new, wich was A Song of Wind.

Now, I actually want to say a few thing, it's seems that, the valley of shadow scenario has a bug, were the Victory trigger does'nt activate when eliminating the Enemy leader, it happened to me as well (kill past turn 14), I played the scenario in a different difficulty (I play medium and tried to see in easy as it'd be faster) to see the result, no change, but once everyting on the map is done, debuging and starting the next scenario was my solution, not the best but it work.

I'm actually here for an other reason, after the defense of Hiera'Shirsha, we get to select 8 unit with wich we'll go to the Sun elves (didn't look for that particular parts name), i'm yet to go there (i'm at dragon city) but I've been a bit surprised to see in my recall list a lot of unit in the scenario right after, not just 8, by the way, I took with me 1 of each windsong all lvl 3 (4 for librarian) since there are 8 different unit when fully leveled.
Yet, as I said I got at least 30 lvl 3 unit in the next scenario, that wasn't my full army since I usually only use lvl 1 or 2 unit and 3 if they can still level up. I didn't have my low level unit, I still had a few of them, 3 or so.

My question is, In that scenario, when you recall your retinue, before departing for the sun elves, are you supposed to take low level unit, or fully leveled unit? How does it actually work?
I believed I'd leave many veteran behind, also perhaps I'm wrong about it, but there may also have been unit I didn't have? I ended up with way more Warmongerer than I thought I had. (I tend to make 6 of each lvl 1 as my baseline, so I usually have 3 of each, I had 5 of them)

Thank you for reading it all if you did, and thanks to revansurik for the wonderfull moment I had playing his various campaign.
Ps: I don't know how to put my savefile here, sorry, have a great day.
Rafvtell

Post by Rafvtell »

Hi

I just found something concerning, I was playing the scenario "The final Age" where we face Kali'-> avatar of order, everything was fine, and I finish her, around turn 50, something is wrong I think because there is no dialogue as kali die, there was no more dialogue between sekmet and kali except when hathor transform, then next scenario and hathor isn't here ...? I look at my recall list and I can call back sekmet, well ok, there is no keep...damn. By the way, I did try to kill kali again in the raw by reducing her hp to 1 and hitting her with maat but well, apparently only hathor would work...so what do i do?

I find myself not being able to finish the campaign, am i locked because i did something wrong somewhere?

Edit : ok i wasn't supposed to kill but to get killed ok, i had to look at the trigger event for the scenarion and found the last breath sekmet has to get rekt
Federicux

Post by Federicux »

I've hit the bug with Valley too.

From what the Ancestor says, I'm not entirely sure it is a bug. Maybe the unit hides. But finding it is frankly impossible.
Aristophil

Post by Aristophil »

astrakan wrote: April 13th, 2021, 6:38 pm Hi,

This is the first message I write, following years of love with the Wesnoth universe.

This campaign is really nice: very good job you did! All the units from the different races are new to me; I really enjoy the gameplay they offer.
cjpw13 wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 12:49 pm I just ran into the same issue with "Valley of Shadows". I'm playing on OS X.

I am however so frustrated facing the same problem in Valley of Shadows: after destroying all ennemies, the scenario does not end. I suspected a hidden unit, but this is a nightmare to find. The problem repeated even if the last unit is killed by a computer elvish unit (I started from the same scenario savefile; I didn't try going back to previous scenario).
The animation with the Shadows leader leaving the map displays when it is killed.

I play on version 1.0.4, with Wesnoth 1.14.5-53 on Android (F-droid build).

Would anyone have any suggestion? :D

[Edit] Attached save files (before and the turn after killing last unit)
I am having the same problem. I replayed the scenario, this time leaving a monster before chasing off the monster boss, but it made no difference--no event was triggered once the last monster was killed.
Ashtero

Post by Ashtero »

Had the same problem with "Valley of Shadows". I've used "inspect" command and it seems that the bug is not because of some hidden unit -- there were none (and the event should trigger on leader death anyway). If you have it, I suggest using :debug and :n commands -- it will let you skip to the next scenario. It seems that bugged event doesn't do anything complex, only dialogs and win. The dialogs are about "he retreats, let's pursue him!", you can read them in mod folder.

Edit: in the 13th scenario when some of your veterans are left behind, the list of types of units that are supposed to stay behind is incomplete, -- at least heretics, warmongers, rune forgers, envoys and heralds go with you even if they are not one of 8 chosen (envoys and heralds are mentioned, but they are usual ones instead of "Envoy_ASotW" and "Herald_ASotW").
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

I have a problem in "Valley of Shadows" scenario. It's nothing happen after I defeat the enemy leader
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

At long last I return to these forums. Just last week I decided to fire up Wesnoth and look up available campaigns and found one by ‘revansurik’.

The first scenario starts with Lunar Cage, my favourite track ever from BfW! Mr. revansur, you're trying to seduce me!

I've just started the game, so let's see what comes at me.

btw it's funny, I won entire Dragon Trilogy and Soldier of Wesnoth on BfW 1.12 so now I have to ‘unlock’ all the units again. There's only one solution to this.