Chyrospitals campaign - Feedback and Discussion

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jaeslin

Re: Chyrospitals campaign - Feedback and Discussion

Post by jaeslin »

Yellowsilver wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 4:05 pm Do you plan adding different difficulties as well?
Yes. First I have to do some more playtesting to get a good, balanced intermediate level (probably on the hard side) and then I think I'll add an extra novice difficulty level.
Yellowsilver

Post by Yellowsilver »

Hi there!
I started playing Chyrospitals again (finally! ;)), I'm still at half of it! I can see the improvements you did, they go in the right direction and make a more equilibrated game.
A few (not particularly ordered) remarks:
  • I still saw really many typos, and I find exactly the same typos as those I already saw before and pointed out. I suppose you didn't correct them yet.
  • Hybrid race works now, great. And the few hints you give about them are very good. Nevertheless, I don't understand why some are lawful and others chaotic. For me they should all be chaotic.
  • I think Aegir should be able to recruit peasants. He can recruit bowmen but not peasants.
  • Gwendyl with elusive foot is really strong. I would suggest to nerf perhaps the sword attack a bit, because it's even stronger that the melee attack of an assassin.
  • Aegir can't level up to lvl 4. He now appears as a normal dwarfish guard. Is it wanted? (well it appears so in the units window of BfW... But I suppose he gets this advancement when he becomes lvl 3 (just looked at the code).
  • Gwendyl's AMLAS look good, but she gets as much protection in three AMLAS as Bernen in one, it's not very equal. Perhaps improve her AMLAS a bit? And I assume you didn't manage to make the assassination ability work yet.
  • EDIT: I really think Bernen should have the loyal trait. It seems strange that this guy who sometimes appears with the heroes, who has special AMLAS,
    Spoiler:
    isn't loyal, while other normal units that you get on the first scenario are...
  • The code looks much better now. Congrats! :D
That's it! Keep up the good work!

Yellowsilver ^_^

EDIT:
The Central Plains
This scenario is still difficult. Easier but still difficult. The first charge of the centaurs is a bit difficult to contain without too many losses, but impaling them on spears is soooo good. And then it is a rush for Gwendyl to go unnoticed to the border while the others fight the enemies.
Remarks:
  • If Gwendyl steps behind the bridge, she asks herself whether to destroy it. A bit weird. Perhaps you could add a special message for her.
  • I hadn't seen the dialogue with the slaver, was it here before? I hadn't attacked him last time I played.
EDIT:
Last Scenario:
EDIT:
Finally finished it (I managed this time :lol:). Wonderful story!
Although I think the way you harm units is a bit artificial. I forgot exactly how it works, but I think you can use the [harm] tag with primary_attack and secondary_attack (or something like this), making the unit really attack. I didn't look again how it works exactly, I'll let you look into this if you want. I think it would produce a better effect for cutscenes.
And also, I find your prose a bit rough. You seem to write English as though it was oral with informal language, and even sometimes bad language. This would need a complete rewrite, but it feels strange sometimes (although I suppose it's normal for a dwarf, the others not really).

EDIT:
Thinking as well, it's not really equilibrated. Excluding the last scenario, it's sometimes really hard not to lose half of your units, and it's sometimes so easy and nearly boring...
For the scenario in the mountains with the gryphons, for the magical tunnel, I would suggest you to make it behave like the teleport ability. It would be better, otherwise it's a bit a pain in the neck to use it. inferno8 did it in TLU, if you already played it I suppose you'll see what I'm talking about. Otherwise, play it :lol:
jaeslin

Post by jaeslin »

Hi all of you

After having been absent from Wesnoth for months here I am back with a Chyrospitals 1.2.0 !
Here are the most notable changes :
The first part of the campaign has been reworked (better ai and dialogue mostly). Check out mostly for :
Scenario 6 : The Central Plains
Scenario 8 : New Home

Scenario 11 has been completely reworked (whether ai, shroud setting, clarity of the objectives etc). Go have a look if you were upset last time you played it. Note that :
Spoiler:
Also, I have finally added an extra difficulty level I dubbed "Soft" because it should be very soft. It is meant for those who simply want the story without too much challenge or for people who are new to wesnoth. If you want the challenge keep playing what is now "Challenging" mode.

Finally, the campaign doesn't end anymore with scenario 11. Were working on the second part : The Sands of Revenge. It has 2 short playable scenarios for the moment but we plan to add, bit by bit, more content. In the end, Part II should be slightly longer than Part I. Those who have finished the campaign can now have a first taste of the sequel we are currently writing and coding.

Finally I would like to thank all of you for playing this campaign and sending feedback. I wasn't active for a long time and I'm sorry I didn't answer your posts. I have other projects in my life and I can't spend all my time coding wesnoth unfortunately. Beer, the one you can find in the credits, will take a more and more active role in developing this campaign because I don't have the time to do it all. But the quality will be exactly the same or better. I guarantee !!

Edit : Chyrospitals 1.3.1 is out with two new scenarios. I'm also working on improving artwork and music so the size of the download exploded. I plan on creating a Chyrospitals Ressources package in the end, when I have found all the custom music I need.

Edit : Chyrospitals 1.3.2 is out with two important bug fixes SexyPringles noted. Please install it or you will have issues with scenario uncharted woods
Last edited by jaeslin on May 1st, 2021, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SexyPringles

Post by SexyPringles »

Hello, I have been playing your campaign for a while now and I'm loving it.

There seems to be some kind of bug in part 2 in the scenario "uncharted woods" when i choose to join Sigfried and he builds a camp but the camp has no keep so I can't recruit in there. Also in the scenario where Baran leaves the group and reaches the singpost he doesn't disappear from the map.

Edit: forgot to ask but when Part 2 starts, is it intentional that your heroes get reduced back to lvl.1?
Last edited by SexyPringles on May 2nd, 2021, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hippity Hoppity, this is my property:Tale of Thunedain
jaeslin

Post by jaeslin »

Hi SexyPringles
I'm glad you're enjoying the campaign. I have been working on it for a year now. If everything goes according to plan, they're will be a new major update soon.
Thank you for pointing out those two bugs I hadn't seen because I simply debugged uncharted woods :whistle: . Both should be fixed in 1.3.2 I have just launched on the server.
The Scenario Over and Under (because it is quite long and complicated to code may have some issues, bugs or unbalance etc). Don't hesitate to point them out so I can correct them in the next big update.
Yellowsilver

Post by Yellowsilver »

Hey there,
I started playing again (from my last save to test the second chapter as I was lazy to do all the campaign again).
It's really good! I chose Siegfried and I love the Southmarch people, they're just so good!
I'm playing Under and Over just now, and I just keep losing since Azher runs to the enemy and suicides himself each time, and I can't stop him. Perhaps you could make him a guardian unit protecting Iskandar to avoid this?

Also, I see you like Egyptian mathematicians ;)
jaeslin

Post by jaeslin »

Hi everyone,
I have been to busy lately to properly work on the campaign but I released version 1.3.3 on the server with two fixes.
SexyPringles wrote: April 30th, 2021, 2:24 pm Edit: forgot to ask but when Part 2 starts, is it intentional that your heroes get reduced back to lvl.1?
No actually :oops: In my old code I killed all the leaders after scenario 11 which was the old ending. Forgot to update that code with the new version. Should be fixed now. Sorry for those who played the beginning of the second part with low level heroes, must have been quite hard because I playtested the scenarios with upgraded heroes. Should be a little easier now.
Yellowsilver wrote: May 28th, 2021, 6:51 pm I'm playing Under and Over just now, and I just keep losing since Azher runs to the enemy and suicides himself each time, and I can't stop him. Perhaps you could make him a guardian unit protecting Iskandar to avoid this?
Strange, I never have a problem with keeping Azher alive. I prefer not to give him a guardian ai because else he might not be aggressive enough and without his powerful attacks the battle is impossible on one side. I decided to give him nice traits so he has far more health and hits harder. This should change things quite a bit.
Yellowsilver

Post by Yellowsilver »

jaeslin wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 7:21 pm
Sorry for those who played the beginning of the second part with low level heroes, must have been quite hard because I playtested the scenarios with upgraded heroes.
Actually, it wasn't easy but it was quite feasible (with my medium wesnoth level).
jaeslin wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 7:21 pm Strange, I never have a problem with keeping Azher alive. I prefer not to give him a guardian ai because else he might not be aggressive enough and without his powerful attacks the battle is impossible on one side. I decided to give him nice traits so he has far more health and hits harder. This should change things quite a bit.
Well, okay, for me he dies each time, I could send you a replay if you want. I'll check it out again.
Also, lazy to do everything again to get upgraded heroes, too bad.
jaeslin

Post by jaeslin »

Hi there
I haven't been around for a while. Chyrospitals is out on 1.16 !
The current version on 1.16 is 1.4.0 ans has two more playable scenarios than the latest version on 1.14. I have decided to update to 1.16 because some mechanics I use don't work on 1.14 so if you want the best experience of the campaign move on to the 1.16 version (good way to check out the new dunefolk by the way even if I have a soft spot for the game mechanics of the old dunefolk) !
If they are any bugs, problems or things that didn't go smoothly with the port to 1.16 please tell me.

Edit: 1.4.1 fixes some major bugs in scenario 17
Tarcil

Post by Tarcil »

Liked the story of this campaign and I´m really enjoyed it again. The new scenarios are also good and I´m curious how the story progress.
Creator of "In Defense of Kharos" viewtopic.php?t=56628
Ysolde

Post by Ysolde »

Hello,

a detail about "the central plains" : the dialogue for breaking the bridge is triggered even if the bridge has already been broken.
Now that I could pass it (I got stuck there previously), let's see what's next...
jaeslin

Post by jaeslin »

Hello,

Thank you Ysolde for pointing this out. It should be fixed with version 1.4.3.7. I haven't had time to really work on this campaign for the last one and a half year but I plan on releasing 1.4.4 in the coming months with some updates concerning units, story and a scenario 18 which will end Part II of the campaign.

I plan to make a shorter Part III to end the story properly if I have the time and motivation. Thanks for any feedback!