Palms amid Blue Dunes [Dunefolk Campaign]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bottle4westnoth

Re: Palms amid Blue Dunes [Dunefolk Campaign]

Post by bottle4westnoth »

MoonyDragon wrote: February 17th, 2020, 7:06 pm Hello everyone,
I am glad to introduce the campaign "Palms amid Blue Dunes"
Hi, I play this game many years, but only now I just registered here and only to say that I am very happy with your campaign:

You have incomparably sense of beauty level, so were able to make extremely good design maps only with in-game design tools!
quality before quantity :-)

First several maps are amazing.

I saw that you are still planning to improve existent maps.
Might be it would be good idea to introduce non-linearity in Palms amid Blue Dunes:
1. different maps Xa Xb, especially for gameenders
2. if hero X [survive/dead/found] - then [map X or Y / next map event X Y]
3. introduce artifacts without any additional interfaces, just like in Heir to the throne - artifacts gives additional weapon to unit
4. would be interesting to implement ship's[mechanical] debuffs during storm weather or even small damage every turn if only ships not in a cost hex
5. can the storm weather be a random event?

Questions:
- Understandable that campaign failed if one of the heroes dead (however, read aforementioned idea #2), but very strange that same happened if one of the ships[mechanical] got destroyed.
- liminal units are very weak as they almost always have -x%. Maybe liminal units should have "Plus" two time-periods, not just one ?

Thanks!
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

bottle4westnoth wrote: April 5th, 2020, 8:24 pm
MoonyDragon wrote: February 17th, 2020, 7:06 pm Hello everyone,
I am glad to introduce the campaign "Palms amid Blue Dunes"
Hi, I play this game many years, but only now I just registered here and only to say that I am very happy with your campaign:

You have incomparably sense of beauty level, so were able to make extremely good design maps only with in-game design tools!
quality before quantity :-)

First several maps are amazing.

I saw that you are still planning to improve existent maps.
Might be it would be good idea to introduce non-linearity in Palms amid Blue Dunes:
1. different maps Xa Xb, especially for gameenders
2. if hero X [survive/dead/found] - then [map X or Y / next map event X Y]
3. introduce artifacts without any additional interfaces, just like in Heir to the throne - artifacts gives additional weapon to unit
4. would be interesting to implement ship's[mechanical] debuffs during storm weather or even small damage every turn if only ships not in a cost hex
5. can the storm weather be a random event?

Questions:
- Understandable that campaign failed if one of the heroes dead (however, read aforementioned idea #2), but very strange that same happened if one of the ships[mechanical] got destroyed.
- liminal units are very weak as they almost always have -x%. Maybe liminal units should have "Plus" two time-periods, not just one ?

Thanks!
I feel warmly praised by the fact that you registered to express your liking of the maps <3
Welcome to the boards!

Ideas are greatly appreciated in this thread, as is every kind of feedback. It's just that I wasn't able to work on the campaign lately...
1. & 2. are indeed great possibilities for future updates, since PaBD features many sides and heroes. I immediately started brainstorming about all the limitless options and decisions,
but was brought back to earth by the enormous amount of work which that would require... But it's nonetheless a cool concept for the (rather far) future!
3. is a great idea! In fact, I have already added artifacts to heroes (e.g. Saluman has a green potion icon which gives him healing). After I am done with the balancing, I will add some items aswell.
4. & 5. can be unfun to play with. Currently, the rain is only supposed to simulate tropical climate with its daily rains. A debuff adds unnecessary complexity to the game, and some random storm disrupting strategy is outright frustrating.

- The three ships are supposed to represent the "flagships" which you need to transport your expedition, while the boats you recruit are locally built auxiliaries. The problem with letting them die is that I need a minimum of ships for cutscenes and scenarios.
- I totally forgot that liminal units used to be 0/-25/-25/0/-25/-25 instead of +25/0/0/+25/0/0... In the next update, I am going to buff them by 25% for versions below 1.15.

Thank you in turn!
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
bottle4westnoth

MoonyDragon wrote: April 6th, 2020, 4:11 pm - The three ships are supposed to represent the "flagships" which you need to transport your expedition, while the boats you recruit are locally built auxiliaries. The problem with letting them die is that I need a minimum of ships for cutscenes and scenarios.
Having so many so strong ships makes the game unbalanced a bit. For instance, All Enemies afraid to attack Flagship!
I would limit amount of ships to 2 Caravels, otherwise, actually there is no use to make your own ships as well as, you know, it is so ego-friendly to develop your own Flagship! but now... player already have "IMBA" stack from the beginning :-(
2 Caravels seems like a good choice, as the game background/expedition initially stands to help villages as quickly as possible, right?
MoonyDragon wrote: April 6th, 2020, 4:11 pm I immediately started brainstorming about all the limitless options and decisions,
but was brought back to earth by the enormous amount of work which that would require...
Dear, I may suggest these enhancement which do not require tons of work on new maps, but still add multiplicity:

1. Father
Liminal units to have +35/-10/-10/+35/-10/-10

IF during prologue[mission#1] Father Die from Goblins, then during [mission#2] "rebels" from 1st liberated villages will give Hero (artifact appears next to a village on hex) Family Medallion: +10/20% def from Pierce

ELSE Main Hero evacuated/escaped before Father Die (killed by Goblins), then during [mission#2] "rebels" from 1st liberated villages will Rumor that Goblins took him took him somewhere. You will be able to find Father in the last liberated Goblin village. Father will bless his son(Hero) for further adventures and give him Fearless trait for upcoming missions, so Hero stays liminal with +35/ 0/ 0/+35/ 0/ 0
Basically, this is an exception for Dune Rover to have Fearless trait.

2. Nagas and Burners

If player is able to free all Nagas during Mission #3, last Naga will Rumor about lost "Nagas Revenge Blade", so during mission #4 player is able to find one for Dune Swordsman class. As well as Saluman, but actually Dune Burner class, will be able to find his "healing +4" in these map with a name "Burning Vitality flask"(red color). Obtaining both Saluman's and Naga's artifacts should be complicated task as the map is big, artifacts are located in different positions, and turns... are not infinite ;-)

3. "Begemoth"
Untitled 6.png
I assume to place here several Tentacle of the Deep (with increase stats) that can be activated by placing any player's unit into deep water or (maybe better) ruined village next to the cave. As you can see, I redesigned map a bit.
https://units.wesnoth.org/1.15/mainline ... 0Deep.html
If player is able to defeat all Tentacles, then he can find "Begemoth' Old scale plate" artefact next to the cave appear. +10/20% impact def

Thanks for reading!
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

bottle4westnoth wrote: April 6th, 2020, 6:46 pm Having so many so strong ships makes the game unbalanced a bit. For instance, All Enemies afraid to attack Flagship!
I would limit amount of ships to 2 Caravels, otherwise, actually there is no use to make your own ships as well as, you know, it is so ego-friendly to develop your own Flagship! but now... player already have "IMBA" stack from the beginning :-(
2 Caravels seems like a good choice, as the game background/expedition initially stands to help villages as quickly as possible, right?
Your criticism of high-level ships being available at the beginning is fair, and the most practical way to fix this would be reducing their levels by 1, imo.
As for non-linear item/artifact/story choices, I cannot promise anything other than that I will consider it after the rebalancing and story reworks are done.
But the idea itself has not occured to me, so thank you for your engagement and unique suggestions!
bottle4westnoth

Hi, being inspired by DuneFolk & Palms amid Blue Dunes, just made SP map.

Maybe it can be used for some ideas about artifacts or/and for non-linear scenario :-)
Actually, could be nice idea of "merging" underground and ground location? What do you think about it?

Also, may you contact me, when "Palms amid Blue Dunes" script will be on-the-way to be ready? so I can translate it to my language :)
Thanks!
Attachments
my4.map
(9.79 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
test4.png
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

bottle4westnoth wrote: April 13th, 2020, 6:46 pm Hi, being inspired by DuneFolk & Palms amid Blue Dunes, just made SP map.
Actually, this is exactly how I started making my campaign xD
I admired revansurik and especially his campaign 'Soldier of Wesnoth', as it was the first campaign I encountered that featured a topical climate. The rain and tropical forests in scenario 14, the desert map and ruins in scenario 15 and the catacombs in scenario 16 all left strong impression on me.

At some time, anticipating autumn vacations, I made a tropical-looking map purely as manifestation of boredom. But after a while, I wanted to make a functioning scenario out of it and started learning WML. And thus, dunefolk (who else in tropical climate) fought goblins (the conqueror-vs-savage trope first came to mind).

Eventually, I expanded the story and gameplay and over time it grew to a published add-on. May the inspiration you took produce beautiful campaigns, just as mine did with Palms amid Blue Dunes!
bottle4westnoth wrote: April 13th, 2020, 6:46 pm Maybe it can be used for some ideas about artifacts or/and for non-linear scenario :-)
Actually, could be nice idea of "merging" underground and ground location? What do you think about it?
I really like the fine details, like the transitions from rails to plank bridges. It somewhat reminds me of a map on 'Oath of Allegiance' by Kwandulin, where you have to pass through troll-infested mountains. Concerning the transitions from cave to overworld, there is actually a campaign, 'Roboke's Island' by x42, which features an impressive merge of the two. I took inspiration from both campaigns and many others, which I listed in the utils/credits.cfg file.
bottle4westnoth wrote: April 13th, 2020, 6:46 pm Also, may you contact me, when "Palms amid Blue Dunes" script will be on-the-way to be ready? so I can translate it to my language :)
Thanks!
Recently, I haven't had the time to further work on my campaign... Don't worry, I am still alive, lurking in the forums and longing to improve it whenever I can, but right now, progress is rather slow. I plan to do two major reworks in yet not defined time:
1. gameplay rework, where I improve the balance of all scenarios after 06
2. story rework, where I clean up my messy story/dialogue
Obviously, this will take some time... But when that day comes in which the dialogue is finished, I will remember you!
ZIM

Post by ZIM »

Hi there,
First of all, I want to say that I enjoy your campaign. The map are beautifully designed and it features my favorite faction, the dunefolks.

I want to report a bug in the first scenario. At turn 6, Lahwaat said that there will be a ship at the northern-eastern volcanic island, but I didn't see any. I continue waiting for it until the turns runs out and I lose.
After checking the scenario file, it seems there was a ship that supposed to change side to 1 at turns 6 at x,y=20,3.

Code: Select all

[modify_unit]
            [filter]
                x,y=20,3
            [/filter]
            side=1
            moves=6
        [/modify_unit]
But it turns out the ship have moved from its original place so the filter doesn't apply to it.
image.png
I assume it's because of this code:

Code: Select all

[object]
            id=temporary_immobility
            [filter]
                x,y=20,3
            [/filter]
            [effect]
                apply_to=movement
                set=0
            [/effect]
        [/object]
Maybe it should have been max_movement? I thought that maybe because you only set its "movement", not "max_movement", it behaves just like a unit that have finished moved. So the ship's move are restored back to 1 at the next turn.
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Version 1.1.1 has been released!

This small patch cleans up some of the UMC mess that the campaign is right now. I have also fixed the bug that ZIM described, which concerned a ship in scenario 01. But other than that, progress is currently slow to nonexistent.
3Lorde

Post by 3Lorde »

In the second scenario, I have a bug as you can see below.

I use Windows 10, Wesnoth 1.14.11, and game version 1.1.1
Attachments
Sem título.png
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

3Lorde wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 8:29 pm In the second scenario, I have a bug as you can see below.

I use Windows 10, Wesnoth 1.14.11, and game version 1.1.1
I have just fixed this issue and uploaded a small patch (still version 1.1.1).
3Lorde

Post by 3Lorde »

I find another bug
Attachments
Sem título.png
MoonyDragon

Post by MoonyDragon »

Version 1.1.2 has been released!

This is probably the last update for PaBD on the 1.14 add-on server. I have decided to rework the campaign and remove much of the overloaded UMC stuff in it. The reworked version will be exclusively for Wesnoth 1.15+.
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Hey, MoonyDragon... I recently finished this campaign on easy, thanks for your own campaign creations. :) Also this is my campaign statitics:
Spoiler:
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
jogajdosik

Post by jogajdosik »

During the play-through I noticed on scenario 9 (trial by fire) that the victory condition states that to win I have to go to hex (29,26). After doing that, however, I noticed, that I don't win. I checked the scenario config file and, lo and behold, the victory hex is (39,26) and not (29,26). please do fix the victory conditions tool-tip in the next update.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

The campaign description in 1.15.8 says 'None selected'.

S1
yet remote world -> yet remote land

One of the goblin spearmen spawns on 2,7 (Deep Water).

S2
will be handles -> will be handled

S3
But to which price? -> But at what cost?

Units inside of ships do not demand upkeep.

Your day/night cycle confuses me. Is the permanent bonus for liminal units intended? Is it a leftover from previous iterations of 'liminal'? I don't know. D: