Looking for someone to test a Knalgan campaign for balance

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MathBrush

Looking for someone to test a Knalgan campaign for balance

Post by MathBrush »

ImageDue to the wonderful help of the WML forum, I've completed my Knalgan campaign.

It's called "Knalgans of Steel", and is a 10-scenario Knalgans campaign. I've played through a few times on Normal, and balanced it as much as I can, but I'm a mediocre wesnoth player, so I'd love some feedback from 'real people'.

I'd also like story feedback; the last scenario in particular is a bit weak.

Thanks so much! If this is the wrong way to get feedback, please let me know.
Attachments
Knalgans_Of_Steel.zip
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 146 times
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
MoonyDragon

Re: Looking for someone to test a Knalgan campaign for balance

Post by MoonyDragon »

Though you requested gameplay & story feedback, I think a little bit of optimisation doesn't hurt either ^^
I noticed that you duplicated many files from core/images/story/ to Knalgans_Of_Steel/images/story/, which takes unnecessary extra space.
Since the paths are identical, you can simply delete the files, and the game engine will automatically check the core/images/story/ directory aswell.

Another issue: Wesnoth cannot find the 5th map, and thus the add-on doesn't load (BfW 1.14.9). In 05_Flooded.cfg:4 you reference a path which contains a small typo... The "_of_" should begin with a big letter.

Code: Select all

map_data="{~/add-ons/Knalgans_of_Steel/maps/05_Flooded.map}"
Default L0 Era - Level 1 leaders with level 0 recruits!
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

Thanks, I've optimized by removing the images.

I fixed the path, too. I'm on a windows computer so it's case insensitive; I never would have catched that! I've attached the new version (if someone downloaded the old one, there is no new content besides the optimization and path fix).
Attachments
Knalgans_Of_Steel.zip
(32.7 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Drake Campaign: A Fiery Birth | Knalgan Alliance Campaign: Drunkards, Dwarves, and Doubloons | Dunefolk Campaign: Asheviere's Shadow | Northeners Campaign: Goblin's Glory | Undead Campaign: Shakespeare's Ghost | Rebels Campaign: Santa Must Die
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

It should not work for windows either after https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/comm ... bf89c89282, will see if I can confirm the issue later.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Ravana wrote: January 27th, 2020, 7:41 am It should not work for windows either after https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/comm ... bf89c89282, will see if I can confirm the issue later.
That code looks like it checks only the last component of a pathname (that's what filesystem::base_name returns). So for ~/add-ons/Knalgans_of_Steel/maps/05_Flooded.map maybe it would only check 05_Flooded.map (which isn't the problem).
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Will you create issue for this?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

Ravana wrote: January 27th, 2020, 3:14 pm Will you create issue for this?
Personally I don't really see any need to create an issue for it, I'm guessing whoever wrote the code is aware of the issue, it would just be a lot more complicated to check the entire pathname than only the final component. (E.g., the code would probably need to recognize that foo/bar, foo\bar, foo//bar, foo/./bar, foo/../foo/bar, etc. are all the same path.)

If anyone else wants to file a bug report, they can, but just be aware that there may not be a "quick fix".
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Generally I'd say that uploading the campaign to the add-on server is a good way to get feedback.
MathBrush

Post by MathBrush »

@Konrad2 Sounds good! I'll make some fixes and upload it tonight.