WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

weewah

Re: WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Post by weewah »

Ooooh! Idea for buffing powerful mage, which it needs since tunnels are now a thing.

Currently, when the prisoner revolts, this dialogue happens:

Fool: Eek! The undead! They are everywhere!
Cynic: T-this is impossible! How did you set up such a huge magic ritual without our notice?
Prisoner: I was sent to this distant land while guarded only by philistines without the slightest knowledge of magic. Was it really any surprise that none of you noticed?

Then the dialogue proceeds to bargaining with the prisoner. But if you choose the powerful mage starting option, you could continue the dialogue like this:

Powerful Mage: *Ahem*. Forgetting someone?
Prisoner: Oh crap.
Powerful Mage: *Yoink*.
Prisoner: No no no!!
Fool: What is happening?
Powerful Mage: Oh nothing much. Some overconfident fool set up a ritual right under my nose, so I added a few changes to it. Fancy work by the way. You obscured what the ritual did quite well, but making it believe that I was its true caster? Easy.
Advisor: So now the undead army works for you.
Prisoner: Damn it all!

You keep both the prisoner and the undead army.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

SirT wrote: April 10th, 2021, 5:13 am Yes, You can start the game with Ardonna as your free dark adept prisoner. She is of the campaign "Secrets of the Ancients" and an enjoyable character in her own right. When I leveled her up to 3rd level, she immediately raised undead and threatened me if I didn't release her. A waste of time and XP to raise her level beyond 1. Besides one of my favorite characters betrayed me... :cry: :cry: :cry: lol
Sorry about that, it is a tomato surprise in a sense.
I don't think that leveling her is a waste of time because 1) you'll get units that allow you to complete undead quests, and 2) you'll implicitly unlock the undead quest bonus.
Fighting her is ... bad.
If you decide to fight her you'll lose that undead quest bonus (you'll have to explicitly unlock it to get it back). The undead army turns against you and some of those units will burn down the villages.

Do you have any suggestions on what to change here?
I like weewah's suggestion with the powerful mage. It is one way of handling it.

Edit: I implemented weewah's suggestion, thanks weewah.
SirT, you're welcome to weigh in any time on how to make WF better :)
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

Daamn it's like 3months since i started playing this mod and its like 27versions/patches during that time. :shock:
It's like more than 2patches per week. Are you in some kind of berserk mode? :lol:
I havent seen yet a modification updated such frequently.

|idea|
What you think about special tree placed randomly on map.
When its cut down it will trigger an event.
Event like extra raid from elves or just spawning few elves around the place where the tree was.
And similiar thing with Hill.
|idea|
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Haha, I really don't get why some of the mod devs like to sit on their updates for years instead of releasing them as soon as possible.
We're in the middle of a pandemic. I might die tomorrow and I very much doubt being able to submit patches from the "next life" phase.
Go back in this thread and you'll see that it almost happened to me earlier last year. I'm fine now, but who knows :)

We already have special trees, maybe a special special tree, I'll think about it :)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

why some of the mod devs like to sit on their updates for years instead of releasing them as soon as possible.
If your add-on is linked to other add-ons, One kind of holds the other back. I have 4-chained add-ons so to fix the deprecation code in one, the others to have to stand in link while I get to them in time. Managing 8 add-ons is not easy.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
weewah

Post by weewah »

New feature suggestion: Revival magic circles.

A new building that costs 500 gold, is the same size as a farm, and is built by white mages.
You can move units to the magic circle and give them a dummy "revive" ability: Whenever a unit with the revive ability dies, they will immediately respawn in the magic circle with 1hp. But each unit can revive at most once per season.

The maximum number of units that can be given the revive ability is (rank - 3). If the magic circle is destroyed, all units lose their revive ability.

I mainly want this feature so that the dodge-based units like elves and fencers can be useful. These units that have low hp/resistances and rely on high defenses to survive are usually pretty useful, since 70% defense means they take even less damage than a heavy infantry on average. So they can tank hits pretty well, right up until they very suddenly get horrible luck, fail to dodge a few times in a row, and promptly drop dead. In a long campaign, especially an endless one like WF, it is only a matter of time until that happens, so investing in elven units is an utter waste of xp and artifacts. Why bother when they will inevitably randomly drop dead and take all their xp and artifacts with them?

One revive per season fixes this issue, since then the effective campaign length that a dodge-based unit has to avoid bad luck for is 36 turns instead of infinity.

(I have also been looking through the available add-ons for a good no random or less random mod, but they are all pretty bad. They don't tell you how much damage you actually do before you do it, and there are weird rounding issues all over. The strong trait becomes especially annoying, since its presense can literally double the damage output of a fencer due to rounding. )
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

weewah wrote: April 14th, 2021, 1:43 pm New feature suggestion: Revival magic circles.

A new building that costs 500 gold, is the same size as a farm, and is built by white mages.
You can move units to the magic circle and give them a dummy "revive" ability: Whenever a unit with the revive ability dies, they will immediately respawn in the magic circle with 1hp. But each unit can revive at most once per season.

The maximum number of units that can be given the revive ability is (rank - 3). If the magic circle is destroyed, all units lose their revive ability.
Thank you. It is a neat idea, but I don't think I'll be doing it for now.
There are relics and market artifacts that can buff up the unit's resistance and HP.

There is a mod called Non_Fatal_Wounds, it is available on 1.14 and it can be used to place your killed units on the recall list for the following scenario. I haven't tested it with WF, I do expect it to be compatible though.
weewah wrote: April 14th, 2021, 1:43 pm (I have also been looking through the available add-ons for a good no random or less random mod, but they are all pretty bad. They don't tell you how much damage you actually do before you do it, and there are weird rounding issues all over. The strong trait becomes especially annoying, since its presense can literally double the damage output of a fencer due to rounding. )
In the past, I tried adding a new market item that grants the unit similar behavior to No_Randomness_Mod. I called it "True Strike", and you can see its implementation in market.cfg. The item is disabled by default.
Unfortunately it doesn't work in 1.14, and kinda works in 1.15, but suffers some of the same problems as you noted for No_Randomness_Mod and Advanced_Wesnoth_Wars. It doesn't take time of day into account and might not work right with an adjacent leader unit. It might also suffer of the same rounding problem.

Ironically, unlike those two mods, it will show you the correct pre-attack calculation, if I'm not mistaken.
viewtopic.php?p=662138#p662138
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

vghetto wrote: April 14th, 2021, 4:55 pm There is a mod called Non_Fatal_Wounds, it is available on 1.14 and it can be used to place your killed units on the recall list for the following scenario. I haven't tested it with WF, I do expect it to be compatible though.
I've been using this one with many diffrent mods even in my own little project and not a single error. BTW code from this mod is pretty neat to create some kind of immortal type of units in campaign.

vghetto wrote: April 14th, 2021, 4:55 pm Unfortunately it doesn't work in 1.14, and kinda works in 1.15, but suffers some of the same problems as you noted for No_Randomness_Mod and Advanced_Wesnoth_Wars. It doesn't take time of day into account and might not work right with an adjacent leader unit. It might also suffer of the same rounding problem.
You mean that there is no bonus for lawfull during day or for chaotic during night?
Because im using Advanced_Wesnoth_Wars and i even checked it now to be sure and it works like a charm.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

vorwi wrote: April 15th, 2021, 1:04 pm You mean that there is no bonus for lawfull during day or for chaotic during night?
Because im using Advanced_Wesnoth_Wars and i even checked it now to be sure and it works like a charm.
Good to know that they work.
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

vghetto wrote: January 21st, 2020, 3:12 pm Version 2.0.9
* allow some of the items to be taken more than once.
So there are items that are able to be bought only once?
And now some of them are able at the market multiple times.
or
It means that some of the items will now be possible to take more than once on the same unit?
and in that case:
Do we have to learn which items are able to stack on units or there will be some kind of description?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

vorwi wrote: April 16th, 2021, 8:54 am It means that some of the items will now be possible to take more than once on the same unit?
and in that case:
Do we have to learn which items are able to stack on units or there will be some kind of description?
Yes that!
You can see what they are by searching for take_once=no in market.cfg. Mostly increase resistance rings.
From within the game, the market items that the unit can't take anymore will be greyed out.

This does not apply for bone relic items... For example, if the unit has Major resistance and tries to pickup another Major resistance from the bones, it will identify the ring and say "let someone else take it"

Edit: @everyone, I'd appreciate your feedback on the use of URM.
Are you playing WF with URM installed?
Should the URM maps size be reduced?
Should some of the URM maps be dropped?
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

Hello Vghetto,

How can I play the game with URM? I tried it via campaing menu and multiplayer menu, but did not succed.
I have version of wesnoth 1.14.14.

P.S. in my last game I finally got Yetti with a fire bow, and ring of magnetism. He was really cool to play with :-)
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Hi Delicius169,

You don't need to do anything to enable URM other than having it in you add-ons folder.
Every season there will be a dragon statue and a brownish tent on the map. If you go to either one of those, you'll start a URM scenario.
There's a red tent as well, but that is something different.

The statue will start a rescue hostage type mission and the tent will be defeat leader type mission.
Both the tent and the statue will use the same map, a new map gets selected in the following season.

Here are the maps that you could get:
Archipelago
Barren
Cave
Citadel
Desert
Flood
Forest
Fracture (might drop this in the future)
Frozen
Island
Jungle
Lava
Marsh
Mountains
Ocean
River
Vale
Volcano
Wastes
Winter

I'm thinking of chaining some of those, like having to play 3 in a row before going back to the main map.
Would that be a good idea?
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

Ouh yeah, now I got it. I thought that I can choose main map where I am going to build because of this mod.

I will try it soon.
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

vorwi wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:04 pm
Spoiler:
vghetto wrote: April 18th, 2021, 9:49 am I'm thinking of chaining some of those, like having to play 3 in a row before going back to the main map.
Would that be a good idea?
I guess it will be a little bit closer to something i mentioned once. I like that idea.