WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

weewah

Re: WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Post by weewah »

WF-A New Beginning replay.gz
(315.64 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
1 season, 3 rank upgrades, on HARD. :lol:

And that's while running a mod that buffs enemy hp/dmg.

75 gold for 4 farms is so cheap that it would be totally broken if not for the rank-based village cap.

Edit: This is wesnoth 1.14.14, WF 2.7.1
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Note to self. Update WF to detect if weewah is playing and crank up difficulty to 11! :lol:
You make it look so easy it's ridiculous. I hope 2.8.0 balances things out for the hard difficulty players.

Yes, slowed units will trigger the trap. They will get harmed by 10 points as well.

About the Enemy_Growth_Mod, it would be cool if it supported auto-advancing the units. I believe someone else would appreciate that too :)

Two things about it though; it should have a filter on unit placed, and you can't always assume that the player is side=1.
This might be a better.

Code: Select all

[filter_side]
    controller=human
[/filter_side]
Wibdrac

Post by Wibdrac »

By the way is there any reason to kill Ardonna ?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Wibdrac wrote: September 11th, 2021, 10:42 am By the way is there any reason to kill Ardonna ?
Well, she turns against you eventually.
Delicius169 wrote: September 8th, 2021, 9:43 am .... but if I wont use this mechanic, I feel like nothing is happening...
I'm revisiting this. In the interim and especially when all required building is done, the gap between the waves becomes more prominent. I'm adding a new animal behavior which I'm calling roamers. This would spawn 1 or 2 units on every even turn number and they would move in attack straight away as if it's winter. Their starting position would be the map edge.
Sort of a trickle enemy to fight and keep you busy until a regular wave spawns.
The roamers won't spawn when the chance of a regular wave is positive. i.e. the numbers for any of the Outlaw, Bandits, Orcs, Undead is positive in the Spymaster report.
They also won't spawn if a regular wave is already on the map or there are 7 roamers on the map already.
The type of the roamer would be a fighter type; Thug, Elvish Fighter, Dwarvish Fighter, Orcish Grunt, Troll Whelp.
weewah

Post by weewah »

vghetto wrote: September 10th, 2021, 8:03 pm
About the Enemy_Growth_Mod, it would be cool if it supported auto-advancing the units. I believe someone else would appreciate that too :)

Two things about it though; it should have a filter on unit placed, and you can't always assume that the player is side=1.
This might be a better.

Code: Select all

[filter_side]
    controller=human
[/filter_side]
Done, I think. I just added an option to throw a bunch of xp on spawned enemies. It might end up making the enemies just a few xp short of a level which makes them harder to fight, but eh. :P
Wibdrac wrote: September 11th, 2021, 10:42 am By the way is there any reason to kill Ardonna ?
Make her build the sacrificial altar then sacrifice her to it :D

Also I found a bug: you can build swamp villages even at your village cap.

EDIT: Also I have questions about sacrificing. If you get both a caravan to the edge and sacrifice a unit, do you get +2 gold from farms? Or just +1?

Also does sacrificing still prevent/delay new enemy spawns? Or is it just keep slowing every enemy every turn?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

weewah wrote: September 12th, 2021, 12:39 am Also I found a bug: you can build swamp villages even at your village cap.
Fixed, thanks!
weewah wrote: September 12th, 2021, 12:39 am EDIT: Also I have questions about sacrificing. If you get both a caravan to the edge and sacrifice a unit, do you get +2 gold from farms? Or just +1?
+2. I haven't tried sacrificing more than one in the same season, but it should boost it up again to +3 in that case.
weewah wrote: September 12th, 2021, 12:39 am Also does sacrificing still prevent/delay new enemy spawns? Or is it just keep slowing every enemy every turn?
Sacrificing no longer delays or prevent new enemy spawning like before. That was a bad idea.

This is what it does currently: It slows/uncovers all units. It increases village income. It removes the ability from the enemy to burn down buildings.
It does not increase village support.
weewah

Post by weewah »

vghetto wrote: September 12th, 2021, 1:15 am
weewah wrote: September 12th, 2021, 12:39 am EDIT: Also I have questions about sacrificing. If you get both a caravan to the edge and sacrifice a unit, do you get +2 gold from farms? Or just +1?
+2. I haven't tried sacrificing more than one in the same season, but it should boost it up again to +3 in that case.
:shock:

*Looks at the loyal LEVEL TWO swordsman you start with.*

Hey buddy, how would you like to die for your city? :D

Might be worth taking the powerful mage/guardian to sacrifice them too!

Also now I have to look up which baseline unit requires the least amount of xp to reach level 2, then I can turn on training and mass sacrifice at the start of every season! Mwahaha!

Edit: The answer is thief or saurian augur! Or merman fighters if I don't want to waste time on diplomacy.

Also I was initially joking about sacrificing the loyal swordsman, but doing the math, I would get more than 1000 more gold in season 1 if I sacrifice the loyal swordsman asap. That's um. That's a lot.

Actually, can you build multiple altars at the same time if you have multiple dark adepts/shadow mages?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

vghetto wrote: September 12th, 2021, 12:15 am The roamers won't spawn when the chance of a regular wave is positive. i.e. the numbers for any of the Outlaw, Bandits, Orcs, Undead is positive in the Spymaster report.
Ugh, quota limits screws this up.
Ok, it will keep churning roamers every other turn until a real wave appears.
Their numbers will be between 1 and 3 at a time.
weewah wrote: September 12th, 2021, 1:46 am :shock:

*Looks at the loyal LEVEL TWO swordsman you start with.*

Hey buddy, how would you like to die for your city? :D
:lol:
The altar brings up the psychopathy in the players :evil:

I'm bumping up sacrificing level to 3 for the hard difficulty :P

But no worries, I just included the Potion of Experience as a leader dead drop item :)
weewah wrote: September 12th, 2021, 1:46 am Actually, can you build multiple altars at the same time if you have multiple dark adepts/shadow mages?
No, just one altar at a time. At least I got something right with this altar clustf*ck :whistle:
weewah

Post by weewah »

vghetto wrote: September 12th, 2021, 3:13 am
:lol:
The altar brings up the psychopathy in the players :evil:

I'm bumping up sacrificing level to 3 for the hard difficulty :P
Powerful guardian starting option gives 2 level 3s doesn't it? Mwahaha. :twisted:

And looking at the unit reference, the new winners for the least training required to sacrifice award are...

Saurian Ambusher with 32 + 55 = 87 xp!
Dwarf Pathfinder with 30 + 60 = 90 xp!

The two best factions are the two winners, yay! No need to diplo it up with useless outlaws, yay!

Also the best loyalist unit is Swordsman with 42 + 60 = 102 xp, so I can actually recruit useful spearmen instead of useless bowmen, yay!

Edit: WF 2.8.0, Wesnoth 1.14.14: One season, 13 rank ups.
WF-A New Beginning replay.gz
(314.87 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Granted I did this with absolutely no regard for the future placement of farms and stuff, but the fact that this is doable on hard is hilarious :lol:
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

weewah wrote: September 12th, 2021, 3:50 am Granted I did this with absolutely no regard for the future placement of farms and stuff, but the fact that this is doable on hard is hilarious :lol:
It looked like you were having a blast doing it :)

I just uploaded 2.8.1
Notable changes:
Added Roamers to keep the player busy between waves.
Allow diverting a stream from swamps.
In the winter peasant workers can break frozen water terrains.
Potion of Experience added as a bones relic. It already existed as the very last offered market item instead of Gold.
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

why there is every kind of village except forest village?
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

but there isn't every kind of village in WF :/
there is no forest village in wesnoth either unless I create a new terrain for such a thing
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

hill village
normal village + farm stuff
water village
swamp village
if those terrains can be replace by some kind of village then just forest feels like annoying useless terrain.
as far as i understand that there is no such thing as village+forest in wesnoth
it still would be nice to see posibility to replace forest with brown round hut as village.
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

in side missions we are able to play three of them in a row but all of them are on same difficulty.
i feel like second one should be harder than the first one and so on.
as far as i remember your intention with side mission was to give for a player oportunity to skip season while now its more like farming extra gold and loyal units.
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

oh and im playing WF 2.8.1 (1year in game for now)and its really enjoyable.
Great work.