WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vghetto

Re: WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Post by vghetto »

vorwi wrote: September 17th, 2021, 4:53 pm if those terrains can be replace by some kind of village then just forest feels like annoying useless terrain.
as far as i understand that there is no such thing as village+forest in wesnoth
it still would be nice to see posibility to replace forest with brown round hut as village.
I disagree. The ambush ability can be bought from the market and after completing some quests, you could recruit some units with that ability.
I don't think I'll be doing anything right now in that regard.
vorwi wrote: September 17th, 2021, 4:58 pm in side missions we are able to play three of them in a row but all of them are on same difficulty.
i feel like second one should be harder than the first one and so on.
as far as i remember your intention with side mission was to give for a player oportunity to skip season while now its more like farming extra gold and loyal units.
Ok, I will give them an extra 20 gold on each subsequent depth.
In the ones where the enemies don't recruit, an additional enemy unit will be added to the group that is guarding the hostage.

In the next upload, relic items are auto identified if you have the prisoner bonus and are playing on the easy or normal difficulty.
The relics will be auto identified on all difficulties when 10 undead quests are complete.
vorwi wrote: September 17th, 2021, 5:01 pm oh and im playing WF 2.8.1 (1year in game for now)and its really enjoyable.
Great work.
Glad you like it. Thanks.
The next version will be compatible with 2.8.1, so you won't need to start all over. Changes will take effect in the following season.
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

vghetto wrote: September 17th, 2021, 7:05 pm Glad you like it. Thanks.
The next version will be compatible with 2.8.1, so you won't need to start all over. Changes will take effect in the following season.
awesome :D
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Any item that you buy from the market or is picked up from a dead drop can be removed by going to the windmill, right-click and select Remove artifact.

I'm adding an option in the next version to retake the removed item by the same unit. In a way, that would reorder the items.
So if you got a Flame Sword, then a Magnetic Ring, then a Cold Sword... The cold sword won't have the magnetic effect.
By removing and retaking the magnetic ring, the magnetic special would apply to the Cold Sword.

Now for the bugs in this system. Currently I have no idea on how to fix these.
1) Items picked up after an AMLA advancement won't get the extra strikes or extra damage given by that AMLA.
This is due to the nature of how the unit is rebuilt, the order in [modifications] seems to matter.
The amla would still apply to the older objects.

2) Items that can be picked up multiple times will all be removed if one of them is selected.
For example, if you have picked up 2 or more Rings of Impact Resistance, then removing any one of them in the list would remove all Rings of Impact Resistance :(
This is due to all of them sharing the same [remove_object] object_id=

Fixed.

Edit: A reminder about my work, this might seem out of context to most, but some might get it...

I mainly write WF for myself and for my own amusement. When others enjoy it, I consider it to be a bonus. No more.
I usually don't have "others" in mind when developing WF.

In my opinion, it is a mistake that I see other UMC developers fall into. They focus too much on how "others" should perceive it or play it, and spent so much time and energy into making it perfect for "them" (Why?). In the end, they get a doze of reality and find out that almost no one has tried their campaign or haven't taken it seriously enough and basked in its brilliance.
Which is true, no one gives a sh*t. :)
Last edited by vghetto on September 18th, 2021, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

vghetto wrote: September 18th, 2021, 2:11 pm Which is true, no one gives a sh*t. :)
You do.
So I keep commenting with ideas and suggestions 8) :P
Wibdrac

Post by Wibdrac »

So I think the game is a in a really fine way, but I wonder if there in an aspect that could be added centered around magic.
I don’t know how you would about it why not have Mages research in library. Those research would be permanent buff for your city centered around the mage specific domain. Example I don’t know a druid allowing you to create forest faster, fire mage clearing the snow in whole aeras. They would obviously be strong bonus but costly in time and gold.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

good idea, i'll see if i can pull it off.

Edit: nah, too much work. i might revisit it later.
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

Instead of making library overpopulated with options how about making other buildings more useful?
Forge: crafting some items.
Stable: refreshing movement points for visiting units OR heal units that have certain mp and can't reach mountains

However what i really crave for is making side missions more impactful. When it comes to missions from library there is a nice story which explains in its own way why we get faction bonuses and recruits. In side missions we have over and over the same thing and that feels more like grinding in mmorpg than adventure.

side mission with beast makes sense to me because we have wild animals on our main map and thats connects somehow.(would be nice to see that it actually makes wild animals forces on our main map smaller by one for a season).

Dragon cave side mission? It's cool that it have more gold chests. It also has cool explanation how we get there and why we want to clear it. But it's ridicolous when we are doing it 3times in a row or even if not in a row... how many caves does this land hide from us?

indoors traitor? ye well this one is fine it makes sense traitors showing up from time to time. however it would be nice to see one of our own(not loyal unit) as leader of these traitors. And im still trying to find out who is founding these traitors.

raiding mission? its weird that they never seeking for revenge.

supress uprising? it feels like we help random stranger on the street and why we always help elves there?

Also if we chose not to do side mission then nothing bad happens? Thats destructive for the story.

A the end i would like to point that im not saying that side missions are bad. Im just saying that they could be so much better. After all we are writing our own story in WF so it would be nice to see that our decisions make impact on the world(main map).
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

vorwi wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 1:03 pm Instead of making library overpopulated with options how about making other buildings more useful?
Forge: crafting some items.
Stable: refreshing movement points for visiting units OR heal units that have certain mp and can't reach mountains
I agree about the library being overpopulated, in regard to the previous post I wanted to see if I can make one peasant worker or one mage do a 7 hex work project in a single go. On the map that would be a full circle. It turned out to require a lot of refactoring that I didn't feel like going into right now. I have an idea on how to do it, but I didn't want to delve into it right now. As I said I might revisit it because I like the idea.

Making the other buildings do stuff is also a neat idea, I don't have anything specific in mind, they are mostly for recruiting and training currently, but having perks for each building is a cool idea.
vorwi wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 1:03 pm ... story ...
I'm not a story driven player, I don't mind having a story, but at the same time don't regard it as a priority for myself. I am open for any contributions to the storylines. Either a continuation of esci and OTna's work or something completely new. Just provide the dialog and I'll fit it in.

I'm still in need for someone to pitch in bad dad jokes for the leader to say randomly!
vorwi wrote: September 22nd, 2021, 1:03 pm ... side missions ..
side missions were incidental. I wanted to add something like Random_Campaign (I'm a big fan) which generates random maps for you but at the same time, you played with whatever force you've accumulated so far. These are the uprising side missions.
Their main goal was to allow for prematurely ending a season if the player wanted to.

I chose Elves for the sidekicks as tongue in cheek joke. weewah hated them for their squishiness, so I gave him a bunch of them :lol:
I could make them spawn other types connected to different story reasons. As I said, I don't mind it, just provide me with the text and story. I have zero creativity in storytelling.

The dragon was another tongue in cheek joke because Cities of the Frontier had a bug were a skeletal dragon spawned in the second season instead of the player and it broke the game. Again incidental, I had a lua cave map generator that I wanted to try out and that is what it became.

Traitors was designed so the winter can be skipped without having to move far in the snow. Being indoors was the only setting that made sense :/

The raids felt like a fun idea playing the baddy and burning down stuff! Let's see how they like it. Did you know that the player can alter the raid map look? Just edit the maps/30x30.mask file :) It won't be a bad idea having multiple designs too, I could try setting it that way.

The free beast missions were inspired from Bob_the_mighty scenarios, like Return_To_Trent, were the enemy was almost exclusively of the status=guardian AI type. They attacked when you got close to them and such. This is why I keep referring to them as guardian missions.

I'm open for ideas in changing the gameplay in the side missions or the stories. Anyone can pitch in their ideas and I'll add them if I like them and doable code-wise.

Edit:
I'm trying to make WF more challenging especially on hard.
weewah wrote: September 12th, 2021, 3:50 am One season, 13 rank ups.
Granted I did this with absolutely no regard for the future placement of farms and stuff, but the fact that this is doable on hard is hilarious :lol:
* Ok, I'm making the altar sacrifice increase the village income only when the dwarves quests have been completed. This is the same as taking the book on finance starting bonus on the normal and easy difficulties.
* Bandits will burn farms in the winter on the normal and hard difficulties.
* I'm increasing the quota limit for all sides by 1 on the hard difficulty.
* on hard sub-missions, the enemy gets a little bit more gold for 1 more unit. or an extra guardian in free beast.

Edit2:
I uploaded version 2.9.0. I didn't get a chance to test every change, hopefully I haven't broken anything :/
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

I'm adding couple of new sub missions where the map is a bit elongated. There will be a horizontal map and a vertical map.
You start on one end and a signpost on the other end.
Along the way we'll have the enemy scattered around with the guardian flag set. Objective is to kill all units, loot the chest (near the signpost) and have the leader step on the signpost.
Should I throw in some type of relic or a market in the center of this?
I found it enjoyable as is.
supress uprising? it feels like we help random stranger on the street and why we always help elves there?
ironically, the inspiration for this came from that vorwi quote :) Thanks!

Edit:
Uploaded Version 2.9.1.
I messed with the sub-missions starting gold a bit. I'm not sure if I got it right or not yet. I tried to bring down the players gold a little more. Let me know if the sub-mission gameplay is bit lopsided in either direction.
Gold reward that the golden chest gives out was reduced. As I said previously, I added two new random maps. They are accessible from the signposts in the summer and autumn. Those maps have a wooden chest to loot.It gives even less gold than the golden chest. Those new maps also have a small shop tent where a single item can be bought at a discount. You'll find it near the signpost.
I increased the number of starting relics from 5 to 7. That means you're almost always guaranteed 5 relics on the map.
What else did I do?
Some internal stuff, macro renames and such. I've included the file that tests the main map generation for prosperity. It can be found in the folder wf_mapgen. If you don't know how to use it, then you probably don't need it.
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

vghetto wrote: September 27th, 2021, 5:28 pm I'm adding couple of new sub missions where the map is a bit elongated. There will be a horizontal map and a vertical map.
You start on one end and a signpost on the other end.
Along the way we'll have the enemy scattered around with the guardian flag set. Objective is to kill all units, loot the chest (near the signpost) and have the leader step on the signpost.
Should I throw in some type of relic or a market in the center of this?
I found it enjoyable as is.
Sounds good.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Aaah! I've introduced a serious bug when coming back from the sub missions.
All the units that were on the map get wiped out. I'll fix it ASAP.
For now don't do side missions :(

Edit: Update to version 2.9.2 for the fix.
The bug only happens when you purchase an item from the new sub mission shop.
Sorry guys :doh:

Edit2: I'm thinking about changing how the sub missions work.

The URM tent or statute will allow you to play the given urm map scenario and sends you back to the main map automatically on completion.
The same for winter indoor traitors and the spring dragon cave. One scenario then go back to the main map. I'll add an extra chest for the indoor traitors map.

The summer and autumn sign posts will send you on one of the road scenarios, (the new ones. I call them trek), followed by one of these randomly: Raid (Burn down the fief), Uprising (regular wesnoth fight with each side having a keep and recruit list), Guardians (Free beast), Indoors (Uprising but played on the winter indoors map, no extra chest), Underground (Uprising but played in the dragon cave map. No dragon here or extra chest)

After that you get sent back to the main map. You no longer get the option to go a specific one.

Edit3: the stuff in Edit2 was implemented in 2.9.3 that I just uploaded.
I didn't give an extra chest to the indoor traitors map. codewise it turned out to be a hassle doing so, so I dropped the idea. You'll get just one chest in that scenario unless you come up against 2 enemy leaders.
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

vghetto wrote: September 28th, 2021, 7:13 pm
Edit2: I'm thinking about changing how the sub missions work.

The URM tent or statute will allow you to play the given urm map scenario and sends you back to the main map automatically on completion.
The same for winter indoor traitors and the spring dragon cave. One scenario then go back to the main map. I'll add an extra chest for the indoor traitors map.

The summer and autumn sign posts will send you on one of the road scenarios, (the new ones. I call them trek), followed by one of these randomly: Raid (Burn down the fief), Uprising (regular wesnoth fight with each side having a keep and recruit list), Guardians (Free beast), Indoors (Uprising but played on the winter indoors map, no extra chest), Underground (Uprising but played in the dragon cave map. No dragon here or extra chest)

After that you get sent back to the main map. You no longer get the option to go a specific one.
nice1
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

I'm going to change it again :hmm: . It is a work in progress afterall :whistle:
The next upload will have a bit of continuity between the main map and the trek path.
The east west signposts will give the horizontal trek. The north south will give the vertical trek.
The starting orientation for the trek is also determined by the main map signposts.
Autumn will change the trek path to look more like the season in the main map.
A small cheat tip. The decision on where to send the player next happens at the end of the trek scenario, so the player can always reload.
Anyway the chances for where to go to next are the following:
Indoors x 1
Underground x 1
Uprising x 1
Guardian x 2
Raid x 3
That means the player is more likely to get the burning raid scenario.

I'm also dropping the Sigurd statue from the main map. You'll only get the Sigurd tent which does the uprising URM scenarios. No URM free beast scenarios. You'll still get the loyal drake side kick though :)

Edit:
In the winter, I'm dropping the traitors scenario and replacing it with indoors uprising. The difference is traitors always guaranteed having loyalists as the enemy.

Also, I noticed that the orcish crossbow can cast runes. That's going to be fixed. They shouldn't be able to cast runes.

Edit: 2.9.4 uploaded.
It fixes a bug in the generation of the trek map.
A new cave trek map was added to the spring abandoned mine scenario.
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

vghetto wrote: September 30th, 2021, 11:47 am The east west signposts will give the horizontal trek. The north south will give the vertical trek.
The starting orientation for the trek is also determined by the main map signposts.
Awesome.
Now it will finally look like a part of something bigger.
weewah

Post by weewah »

Can water villages be burned? They are underwater after all... If not, then maybe they should cost more?

Also, how about making side missions "harder" by making more enemies spawn when you return to your fief? The side missions are basically the player going around making more enemies, so it makes sense that some of these enemies would seek out the player's fief for revenge.