WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vghetto

Re: WF - Wild Frontiers [SP Campaign]

Post by vghetto »

Delicius169 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 6:32 pm I thought that I can choose main map where I am going to build because of this mod.
No, I doubt I'll ever do something like that. Because that would affect project terrains and season changes.
vorwi wrote: April 18th, 2021, 6:34 pm I guess it will be a little bit closer to something i mentioned once. I like that idea.
I do tend to implement previously suggested ideas after while, even the ones I might have implied that I wouldn't :)

In keeping with "play at your own pace" motto, I'm allowing for the optional chaining of the sub-scenarios.
Finishing one would ask you if you'd like to go to another one or go back to the main map, ad infinitum.
You'll get a list of all possible mission types. The selected URM map will be random ofcourse, but the type of the sub-scenario is not.
You could go from raid fief to clear cave for example.
The chained sub-scenarios won't count against the main map year or season. It will pick off exactly where it was supposed to.

I guess what WF really needs now is a big boss fight, a final scenario.
That would require map design, strategy decisions, dialogue and other things that I'm not good at.
I'm leaving it up for this community to design the final scenario :whistle:
weewah

Post by weewah »

Finishing one would ask you if you'd like to go to another one or go back to the main map, ad infinitum.
That sounds pretty overpowered? Gather tons and tons of unit xp between seasons. And also gold.

Might be better to cap it at 1 + # of seasons so far. Or 1 + # of rank upgrades.
I guess what WF really needs now is a big boss fight, a final scenario.
I thought that's what calamities were.
But I guess we can just go BIGGER!

Replace the current campaign victory conditions with a final boss that spawns with a large and powerful army on turn 1 of year 4 (easy/medium) or year 3 (hard). But that's not all!

Final Boss A: Ancient Lich of Pestilence

For decades the lich has hidden, deep under your fief and undetected by the forces of good. BUT NO LONGER! Armed with his newly researched powers of pestilence, this lich now seeks vengeance against all the living.

The boss unit is an ancient lich with 3x the hp.

Special 1: At the start of each boss turn, every non-undead unit has a 20% chance to become poisoned.

Special 2: Farms become barren, village gold and support is set to 0.
(Warn the player about the final boss 2 seasons in advance so they can save up gold beforehand. They will need to rush the lich to kill it before they go broke.)

Special 3: 30% of the Boss Army has the poison ability added to their attacks. If they are ghouls, they get plague added instead.

End Goal: Killing the boss wins the campaign.

When the boss is killed, this happens:

Boss: No! This cannot be! Curse you! CURSE YOU! ARGHH!

Campaign end story: With a final dying shriek, the ancient lich exploded into dust as the spells binding him to unlife failed. But the damage was done. The land was poisoned and cursed, and restoring it would take several decades at the least.

Fortunately, you were not alone in your fight against the unliving. Your achievement and your plight reached the ears of the King, and you were soon richly rewarded with wealth and a new territory. As a generous lord, you shared the lich's bounty with your fellow survivors, and welcomed them to your new fief to start anew. But that is a story for another time.

Secret Ally Faction: Elves.

If you have completed at least X elven missions, the elves come to assist you against the undead, bringing many druids for healing and sylphs for putting the undead back down.

Final Boss B: The Army of Man

Necromancy is outlawed in the kingdom. Not just outlawed, but reviled. You, a noble lord who has dabbled in the dark arts, have brought shame to all nobility. It is time for you to be judged.

This boss only appears if you have completed two undead diplomacy missions or you have used a lot of undead units since undead units can't be poisoned by Final Boss A.
(Have a variable count the number of times a side 1 undead attacked any enemy. If it is at least 10, this boss appears.)

The boss unit is a royal warrior with 80% resistance to everything.

Special 1: When the boss spawns, he will call for your arrest and ask your forces to stand down. Every unit you have that isn't undead or loyal will obey and stand down, returning to your recall list. Non-undead side 9 forces also leave the battlefield.

Special 2: Whenever you recruit or recall any non-loyal non-undead unit, they say "Take back your gold, I will not fight against the rest of mankind for you." Your gold is returned and the unit does not get recruited or recalled. The same applies for diplomatic mercenaries and lighthouse summons.
(Warn the player about the final boss 2 seasons in advance so they can gather loyal/undead units beforehand. They will have to play defensively with their remaining units.)

Special 3: 50% of the Boss Army have their attack types changed to arcane. Because of course they will have blessed weapons and holy water prepared to fight your undead. If their attack types are already arcane (paladins and white mages), they get a dispel special that is identical to the slow special but only works on undead units. The rationale is that it is disrupting the spell that animates the undead unit, making it unable to move properly.

End Goal A: Killing the boss wins the campaign.
End Goal B: Surviving until the end of the season also wins the campaign.

If you survive to the end, the following happens:

Boss: Damn it! Retreat! All forces, retreat! The enemy is too well defended for our small army to handle.
Boss: <Hero Name>! Don't think you have seen the last of us! We will be back!

Campaign end story: But the army of man never returned. In the years that followed, <Hero Name> repeatedly fortified his territory, making an invasion all but impossible. The forces of good decided to blockade the city instead of wasting more lives, but <Hero Name>'s territory had already grown self-sufficient.
<Hero Name> and his people were left in peace, for the rest of their long lives and longer unlives.

Secret Ally Faction: Outlaws.

If you have completed at least X outlaw missions, the outlaws come to assist you against the loyalists.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

weewah wrote: April 20th, 2021, 2:04 am I thought that's what calamities were.
But I guess we can just go BIGGER!
Thanks weewah, I love these ideas.
I really like the first boss. Not too sure about the second boss. Is the battle supposed to be using an undead army only? can I use dwarves/trolls?
Which reminds me, OTna pitched a few concepts a while back, I might revisit those ideas as well.

Anyway, that wasn't what I meant by final scenario. I prefer the big boss fight to not take place on the main map. I'd rather have a separate static map that is designed with wesnoth battle strategies in mind. (whatever that means)

Multiple people can pitch in their maps. The player would get one of them by random as the final scenario.
They can be anything. The main idea is to use the army that you have spent all of this time building and buffing to defeat a very strong opponent. Maybe rely on recalling instead of recruiting. Maybe disable recruiting all together except for specific units.
weewah wrote: April 20th, 2021, 2:04 am That sounds pretty overpowered? Gather tons and tons of unit xp between seasons. And also gold.
If the player wants to take that route so be it. I don't view it as a setback. They still have to win those scenarios with whatever recall list they started off in the first sub-scenario. And, the limitations of the recruit list at the time. The overall gold will increase, but each sub-scenario's starting gold will be capped as usual.

I'll do the upload soon, I'm still testing that the recall list doesn't get lost between sub-scenes.
weewah

Post by weewah »

vghetto wrote: April 20th, 2021, 4:33 am Not too sure about the second boss. Is the battle supposed to be using an undead army only? can I use dwarves/trolls?
I was thinking undead + loyal, so you can use the loyal dwarves/trolls, but not any un-loyal ones. The idea is to limit the player to a few powerful units that will have to hold the line versus a powerful foe, while using walking zombies and other undead fodder units as distractions or disposable shields that will die in one turn.

This makes killing the loyalist final boss extremely hard, since your powerful units are few and your undead units will get wrecked on the way to the final boss. So the best strategy becomes defending and surviving, the opposite of the strategy for the other final boss.

The lich final boss requires the player to gather lots of gold, then desperately attack.
The loyalist final boss requires the player to gather lots of xp (for making units loyal), then desperately defend.
vghetto wrote: April 20th, 2021, 4:33 am
weewah wrote: April 20th, 2021, 2:04 am That sounds pretty overpowered? Gather tons and tons of unit xp between seasons. And also gold.
If the player wants to take that route so be it. I don't view it as a setback. They still have to win those scenarios with whatever recall list they started off in the first sub-scenario. And, the limitations of the recruit list at the time. The overall gold will increase, but each sub-scenario's starting gold will be capped as usual.
But scenarios don't get any harder right? So if the player is strong enough to beat every map without losing his recall units, they can just repeat the scenarios over and over and over, gathering unlimited amounts of gold and xp, until they get bored of the sheer amount of repetition. And then they will go to bed and continue tomorrow, because MOAR GOLD AND XP!

If each scenario gives 500 gold then 4 to 6 maps gives more gold than your fief earns over an entire season! It's literally do 5 scenarios for a free additional season before the final boss.

How about adding a travel cost for every additional scenario in a season? The first scenario is free, the second scenario costs 100 gold, the third scenario another 200 gold, the fourth scenario another 300 gold, and so on? That way if the player keeps doing scenario, they eventually start losing gold in exchange for xp, and then eventually run out of gold and have to return to their fief.

(Making the scenarios grow harder may be an alternative, but that's dangerous as it risks trapping the player in an unwinnable scenario.)
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

Anyway, that wasn't what I meant by final scenario. I prefer the big boss fight to not take place on the main map. I'd rather have a separate static map that is designed with wesnoth battle strategies in mind.
I believe that having big boss fight out of main map misses the point of your campaign - there are lot of maps where we can have "normal wesnoth fights", but we play your campain (over and over in my case) because of the opportunity to build our own town.

Btw: How about making the end of campain via Climate change - putting second sun on the sky? Lots of refuges (some friendly, some hostile) running from the south; the land begins to dry - but not into the complete desert, as we are on the edge of northlands (which are habited - as was told in Invasion from the Unknown and Under the burning sun).
Less crops because of drastic change in climate (half the income?)... and the attack of? how about dunefolk? or Argariawity (how are the pronounced?)
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Delicius169 wrote: April 20th, 2021, 2:43 pm ... but we play your campain (over and over in my case) ...
You're not alone :)
Delicius169 wrote: April 20th, 2021, 2:43 pm Btw: How about making the end of campain via Climate change - putting second sun on the sky? Lots of refuges (some friendly, some hostile) running from the south; the land begins to dry - but not into the complete desert, as we are on the edge of northlands (which are habited - as was told in Invasion from the Unknown and Under the burning sun).
Less crops because of drastic change in climate (half the income?)... and the attack of? how about dunefolk? or Argariawity (how are the pronounced?)
I like it, thanks!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I like it, thanks!
You can add a dependency to WoL to add Aragwaithi to the campaign, if you're going for the End of the World plot.

Also, I have started playing this. Going to name my city "Pikachuland"
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

Is there any in game info how to gain higher rank? I mean like something that a new player could learn from playthrough. For example: mages are well explained through dialog that they are capable of destroying whole mountain.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

vorwi wrote: April 23rd, 2021, 7:18 pm Is there any in game info how to gain higher rank? I mean like something that a new player could learn from playthrough. For example: mages are well explained through dialog that they are capable of destroying whole mountain.
Seems I forgot to add in game instructions on how to increase the rank.
To do so, have the hero stand on the keep and right click on him.

I also need to integrate the following info to the tutorial.

WF right click menus.
Spoiler:
I'm kinda lazy now. I'll do it eventually :)
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

in a lazy way you could just add README file to modification and write something in descrption of mod like "it is wise to read README file for better expierience"
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

Hello,

I was thinking about few ideas...

How about the enemies got some units on 3lvl after the first year of your play? It would bring next chalenge. After first year it could be like 25% of their units are 3lvl, after second year 75%.

Another idea for big final battle/ calamity (probably spring): The attack from the deeps - if there is certain amount of water on the map some kind of underwatter enemy could appear and attack you. It could be some kind of big deepwatter monster with a bunch of tentacles (there are few of those units in campaing Inky´s quest).
(And as I like the change of the terain it could flood most of the map, even villages and forest (in the addon about Random maps - there such terains).

Other things I would like is an attack of some other faction - which is not mainline - like vampires, or werewolfs from the era of Myth; hungry pack of werewoolfs; or the Count of vampire building his castle in your realm...
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Delicius169 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 6:16 pm How about the enemies got some units on 3lvl after the first year of your play? It would bring next chalenge. After first year it could be like 25% of their units are 3lvl, after second year 75%.
That would make it too difficult for me to play. :|
I'm barely able to handle the level 3 outlaws leader with the random 50/50 level 2 units :oops:
Not to mention the evil loyalists calamity that decimates my army. no fun :cry:
Delicius169 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 6:16 pm Another idea for big final battle/ calamity (probably spring): The attack from the deeps - if there is certain amount of water on the map some kind of underwatter enemy could appear and attack you. It could be some kind of big deepwatter monster with a bunch of tentacles (there are few of those units in campaing Inky´s quest).
(And as I like the change of the terain it could flood most of the map, even villages and forest (in the addon about Random maps - there such terains).
This sounds like fun. The spring would be ideal for such a thing. I haven't tried Inky's quest yet. I'll check it out for new ideas :)
Delicius169 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 6:16 pm Other things I would like is an attack of some other faction - which is not mainline - like vampires, or werewolfs from the era of Myth; hungry pack of werewoolfs; or the Count of vampire building his castle in your realm...
I don't want to start supporting individual eras, I don't use any myself.

But having said that, the next upload will allow you to add whatever third party units to WF :D
This will require a little bit of coding to make it work, but it should be straight forward and easy.

As an example, WF now supports the Quenoth and Tauroch units from Under the Burning Suns campaign. (They are not enabled by default)

To add your custom werewolf faction, go to add-ons/Wild_Frontiers/custom and rename the *.default files to be just *.cfg

umc.cfg: defines the binary path of the addon era and any necessary macros needed for the units to work
umc_units.cfg: lists the units that you want WF to support.

Next you can choose as which enemy you want them to spawn.
umc_bandit.cfg: will make the units spawn as a side 4 bandits in the main map
umc_guardian.cfg: will make them spawn as side 2 animal guardian that are near the edge of the main map
umc_orcs.cfg: will make the units spawn as a side 5 orcs in the main map.
umc_necro.cfg: will make the units spawn as a side 7 undead in the main map.
umc_subscene.cfg: will make them spawn as the enemy in the sub-scenario and URM maps.
umc_player.cfg: will make the units recruitable by the player.

As I said, those files use UTBS units as a template to explain how third party units can be used and enabled in WF, you don't have to use them. I didn't put much thought in selecting them as a faction.

Needless to say this comes with no warranty whatsoever. But I don't mind helping out if you have trouble getting it to work.

I've also changed the way how WF handles the starting map mask. Hopefully subsequent upgrades won't overwrite the users custom mask.

To use the mask, rename maps/WF_map.mask.default to maps/WF_map.mask and edit it with the wesnoth editor. Be sure not to change the size dimensions of the map.
By default it is all Fog (_f) meaning that nothing gets replaced in the randomly generated main map.

Enjoy.

Edit:
Version 2.1.2 adds support for spawning the custom umc units with a keep to recruit from as orcs from the north and east, or as undead from the west and south.
It will also allow for the player to recruit these units.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Delicius169 wrote: May 10th, 2021, 6:16 pm Other things I would like is an attack of some other faction - which is not mainline - like vampires, or werewolfs from the era of Myth; hungry pack of werewoolfs; or the Count of vampire building his castle in your realm...
Ok, first off I never dealt with eras before, and Era of Myths confused the hell out of me :augh:

But I managed to get it to work with WF using the new system that I introduced. Due to the sheer number of factions and units, the code looks horrific, but it works :)

Extract the contents of EOM.zip into Wild_Frontiers/custom and you'll be set to go.
delete umc_player.cfg if you don't want to be able to recruit Era of Myths units yourself.

For other eras, this can do as a good template to follow. It wasn't hard, just a bit tedious tbh.
Attachments
EOM.zip
(7.02 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
vorwi

Post by vorwi »

Hi, i wasnt here for long.
I've played latest patch for about a 3 in game seasons and i think its great except few things.
=Taking down travel tent? For what?(Same thing with sigurd's statue)
+Hide option for recruit list is awesome!
-going with peasant -> get to work -> recruiting buildings... -> nevermind (that action will trigger wrong message which is: Milord, you need to expand the city capacity to allow for building more projects and farms)
-that never ending story with mission after mission makes game too easy. 10k gold in first autumn?(and it could be more) Thats wrong.

Have a nice day.
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Hi vorwi,
vorwi wrote: August 31st, 2021, 7:42 pm =Taking down travel tent? For what?(Same thing with sigurd's statue)
Just to get it out of the way if the player finds that the URM map is unfavorable at this time and the place of the Sigurd tent or statue is on a strategic defensive hill that you might step on a lot during the season.
vorwi wrote: August 31st, 2021, 7:42 pm -going with peasant -> get to work -> recruiting buildings... -> nevermind (that action will trigger wrong message which is: Milord, you need to expand the city capacity to allow for building more projects and farms)
That's due to my laziness in setting up a proper tutorial system. I need to keep reminding the player to increase the town rank to unlock new building projects. The Nevermind option is the way I decided to do it. You'll stop getting the message once the rank has reached four I believe.
vorwi wrote: August 31st, 2021, 7:42 pm -that never ending story with mission after mission makes game too easy. 10k gold in first autumn?(and it could be more) Thats wrong.
Yeah, this is WF achellis heel which I don't have a solution for yet.
Edit: Were you referring to the side-missions (sigurd's missions and fief stuff) and not the regular seasons for the last point? I might have misunderstood you.
Sure, I could limit that to be no more that 3 at a time.