After Eastern Invasion

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Trossknecht

After Eastern Invasion

Post by Trossknecht »

Let me start by congratulating Spannerbag on the publication of After Eastern Invasion, and thank him for all the good work that went into creating it. It is a splendid campaign, and great fun to play.
Spoiler:
white_haired_uncle

Re: After Eastern Invasion

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Hmm, did you turn off compression in your preferences?
Spoiler:
Trossknecht

Post by Trossknecht »

Thank you, white_haired_uncle, for the response and the tip.

I have not turned off compression.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Trossknecht on November 16th, 2019, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trossknecht

Post by Trossknecht »

PS:

Spoiler:
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

So, I don't have my save files anymore, but I remember this one a bit.
Spoiler:
Tigertown84

Post by Tigertown84 »

I was having the exact same problem so I came to this board and saw the hints. Without spoiling anything, the order you visit the coordinates in makes all the difference. Flynn is there. Hope you find him soon.
Wife: "So how late were you up LAST night playing that stupid game you're addicted to?"
Me: "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....."
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Hi Trossknecht,
Trossknecht wrote: November 9th, 2019, 6:30 pm Let me start by congratulating Spannerbag on the publication of After Eastern Invasion, and thank him for all the good work that went into creating it. It is a splendid campaign, and great fun to play.
Spoiler:
Many thanks for your kind words, much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed the campaign, sorry you had issues with Riverside.
If you don't mind, (at white_haired_uncle's suggestion) I'll point people to this thread? (See my signature for example link).

I'm more than happy to make changes to the campaign to make it more enjoyable and it seems that there aren't enough clues in several scenarios, resulting in more frustration than fun :(

The campaign was meant to be generally easy-ish to win each scenario but offered strategic challenges. In some cases this means that some scenarios can be very challenging if the player doesn't know the best way to play them.
E.g. for Riverside
Spoiler:
If you have any suggestions for making the campaign more fun please let me know.
(I'm having a break from it for a few months as towards the end it took over my life as I tried to get it completed. Probably after Christmas I'll revisit it with renewed energy and enthusiasm. Since v1.0.0 I have implemented a few quick tweaks but nothing of great substance.)

Thanks again for playing my very first campaign!
Cheers!
Spannerbag.
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
Tigertown84

Post by Tigertown84 »

Hi Spannerbag, I also want to thank you for creating this campaign. Being a long time Wesnoth player and having already gone through all of the campaigns on the server multiple times over the years, it was like Christmas finding your 'After Eastern Invasion'. For those people like me that couldnt begin to understand WML or map creation, the hours of work you put into making these scenarios for us to enjoy is very evident and very appreciated. The fact that it's a labor of love with no monetary award makes it even more special. Cheers!
Wife: "So how late were you up LAST night playing that stupid game you're addicted to?"
Me: "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....."
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Hi Tigertown84,
Tigertown84 wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 4:48 pm Hi Spannerbag, I also want to thank you for creating this campaign. Being a long time Wesnoth player and having already gone through all of the campaigns on the server multiple times over the years, it was like Christmas finding your 'After Eastern Invasion'. For those people like me that couldnt begin to understand WML or map creation, the hours of work you put into making these scenarios for us to enjoy is very evident and very appreciated. The fact that it's a labor of love with no monetary award makes it even more special. Cheers!
Thanks for your feedback, it's always appreciated!

I originally intended this to be a small (hah!) campaign primarily with the purpose of me learning WML.
As I learned more about what could be done with the WML toolkit I became more ambitious and the thing grew massively from the original story.

One thing I do hope the campaign has is "re-playability": there are multiple paths and choices through the campaign as well as a few significant items/finds that have significant on gameplay and (in two cases especially; the choice made at the end of Another Fight at the Ford (scenario 22) and something ese I'll leave for you to work out :) ) can have a radical effect on the last playable scenario that (I hope) makes it worth re-visiting. In one place there's even dialogue aimed at players who have almost certainly used debug mode :)

The last scenario gives you a very basic summary on how well it thinks you've done thus far, to help inform what you might want to look for if you do re-play the campaign.

There's a problem with the last scenario: it takes the engine a looong time to process a turn. I'd hoped this was down to my rather elderly laptop but no, others have reported the same issue. I have no clear idea of what I'm going to do about this yet :?

Returning to campaign design objectives for a minute, another thing I wanted the campaign to do is, as far as possible, not repeat itself so every scenario is in some way different above and beyond the normal variability arising from different enemies and terrain (didn't always manage this!). I wanted to limit myself to the basic game interface (no context menus) and not do anything "clever" (no lua or exploiting of known bugs etc.), partly to minimise knowledge needed for coding.

I also wanted it to be a springboard for sequels, prequels and related campaigns for others or myself to bolt on. I have several ideas for new campaigns, some very fuzzy at present, others fairly well-formed, but all, hopefully, in one way or another offering something new or filling in blanks in the history of Wesnoth. Now I've hopefully "proved myself" I think for the next few campaigns I'd like to collaborate. I'd appreciate any assistance on offer, especially with artwork and play-testing (balancing, plot/storyline, clues/hints etc.).

If anyone does fancy getting involved please get in touch (PM preferred). I'm not precious about my stuff, my primary aim is to produce enjoyable UMC.

Ooops - got rather carried away and wittered on waay too much! I'll shut up now :D

Cheers,
Spannerbag.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
braindamagedzombie

Post by braindamagedzombie »

This week I have downloaded Wesnoth (after a ~10 year break) in hopes to find new single player content.
I've played through the Secrets of the Ancients.
And then I decided to try addons.
I was not expecting THIS MUCH content on my first try! I enjoyed your campaign very much, until the scenario 23a1 (or 23b1). Game ends in defeat after starting dialogue. No player controlled units are present at the start, so it's an auto lose. Something stops them from exporting/importing from previous scenario. Any pointers on how to troubleshoot/debug this?
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Re:
braindamagedzombie wrote: November 30th, 2019, 10:37 pm This week I have downloaded Wesnoth ... Game ends in defeat after starting dialogue... Any pointers on how to troubleshoot/debug this?
Sent PM yesterday as reply involved spoilers.

Cheers,
Spannerbag.
braindamagedzombie

Post by braindamagedzombie »

Sorry, I was checking on this thread without logging in. Sent PM.
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

When I play this campaign (on Medium Difficulty).

Talking about heroes:
Dawn and Pierce lacks silver crown.

About units:
Cadet and Knave missing sound when hitted.

Scenario: Goblin Opression
It's still good about Pierce have silver crown when guarding, but I suggest change him to golden crown until you may return the silver crown to him when Flynn and his veterans returns.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Hi DukeSwampy,

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

DukeSwampy wrote: March 16th, 2020, 11:46 pm When I play this campaign (on Medium Difficulty).

Talking about heroes:
Dawn and Pierce lacks silver crown.

About units:
Cadet and Knave missing sound when hitted.

Scenario: Goblin Opression
It's still good about Pierce have silver crown when guarding, but I suggest change him to golden crown until you may return the silver crown to him when Flynn and his veterans returns.

This was my first campaign and one of the (many!) things I did not do was add defense animations to some custom units, including Cadet and Knave, as you rightly point out.
I have a fairly long list of things I need to do (some have been done) and will add your comments to that list - but I cannot promise to fix these things quickly :)

Minor spoiler regarding Morn and his silver crown if you have not finished part one...
Spoiler:
Another issue was that much of the campaign was coded on earlier versions of Wesnoth so the code has been changed several times, including changing Pierce in Goblin Oppression Pierce. I will have to do some playtesting to see what he looks like.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to provide feedback. If anything in this post does not make sense please let me know :)
Hope you had fun playing my campaign!
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

My thoughts:
Scenario: Strategic Withdrawal
Spoiler:
Scenario: Diplomacy
Spoiler:
Scenario: Northern Outpost (I think not mistaken)
Spoiler:
Scenario: Revolting Peasants
Spoiler:
Scenario: More Revolting Peasants
Spoiler:
Scenario: Northmead
Spoiler:
Scenario: Aitsward South gate
Question:
Spoiler:
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)