After Eastern Invasion

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wschuyle

Re: After Eastern Invasion

Post by wschuyle »

Thanks that helps lot, found 2 so should find 3rd. Appreciate it. Again great campaign, I'd give it a 5 star out of 5!

But might beef up initial Orc forces. To be fair I had got all the extras so was pretty buffed - last battle in long campaign is always tough.
wschuyle

Post by wschuyle »

One idea for shamans is maybe have a bat (representing all the bats for that shift) fly into the applicable hex and disappear at end of his shift. I mean if each colony has enough bats to block out sun, then when they all leave, should not be mystery where they went :)

Just realized I had skip AI moves on for this scenario so maybe you did it and I missed it! So if so good job - and bad on me :)
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

egallager wrote: December 26th, 2020, 1:55 am I haven't actually gotten to the last scenario yet, but if it's going slowly, maybe consider the fast_ai Micro AI? https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Micro_AIs#Fast ... fast_ai.29
Apparently the simple_targeting AI key also affects game speed, too, so maybe try toggling that?
Thank for the advice; yeah, I did muck about with various options but (at the time) wanted to have the ai do stuff that the fast_ai ignored.
For awhile I thought the issue was with [avoid]...
Turns out it wasn't and as far as I can see it's simply the sheer size of the map and/or the high number of starting units and/or a high number of first_time_only events and/or other factor(s) I'm not clever enough to see/deduce. Also, having a clapped out Win7 PC probably doesn't help :)
Once the situation simplifies it does speed up somewhat but I do need to spend some time redesigning the later parts of the campaign as there are several bits that could use improvement to make gameplay more enjoyable, IMHO.

Actually, just followed your link to the FastMAI and I think the page has been updated since I read it (not surprising as that would have been well over a year ago!). There's a lot more there than I remember and much of it looks at first glance to be very helpful. Thanks for the heads-up :D

FWIW I think I did try the fast_ai and IIRC it helped but wasn't a massive improvement (didn't think of simple_targeting tho').
I light of the new (to me) FastMAI details however I might, eventually, revisit it and see if I can tune things better...

Thanks again for taking the time to post your suggestion - much appreciated!

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

wschuyle wrote: December 26th, 2020, 9:51 pm Thanks that helps lot, found 2 so should find 3rd. Appreciate it. Again great campaign, I'd give it a 5 star out of 5!

But might beef up initial Orc forces. To be fair I had got all the extras so was pretty buffed - last battle in long campaign is always tough.
Thanks for the five star rating :D

The last battle is influenced by a number of factors, including which goodies were found and the path taken at the end of scenario 22 (Another Fight at the Ford).
Spoiler:
Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

wschuyle wrote: December 26th, 2020, 10:14 pm One idea for shamans is maybe have a bat (representing all the bats for that shift) fly into the applicable hex and disappear at end of his shift. I mean if each colony has enough bats to block out sun, then when they all leave, should not be mystery where they went :)

Just realized I had skip AI moves on for this scenario so maybe you did it and I missed it! So if so good job - and bad on me :)
Heh, didn't think of that - good idea!

Might use that :D

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
HellRider220

Post by HellRider220 »

Just dropped by to say that I loved the campaign. Enjoyed everything about it, from the dialogue down to its execution. One of the more memorable campaigns for me.
I'm not procrastinating.I'll just do it later.
HenryY2020

Post by HenryY2020 »

HellRider220 wrote: June 11th, 2021, 4:40 am Just dropped by to say that I loved the campaign. Enjoyed everything about it, from the dialogue down to its execution. One of the more memorable campaigns for me.
Same here. I'm not sure if there are any chances of this campaign being made canon, though.
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

Hi guys,
Sorry for the tardy reply - not online too often :oops:
HellRider220 wrote: June 11th, 2021, 4:40 am Just dropped by to say that I loved the campaign. Enjoyed everything about it, from the dialogue down to its execution. One of the more memorable campaigns for me.
HenryY2020 wrote: June 11th, 2021, 2:41 pm
Same here. I'm not sure if there are any chances of this campaign being made canon, though.
Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.
It was my first ever campaign and it took so long I needed a decent break away from it.
I have a couple of projects in the pipeline (but am only able to go slooowly 'cos of various domestic issues :augh: ) and am also as a background task scoping out various changes to AfterEI. Biggies include a spoiler list (a very big item, there's loads of hidden stuff in there!), a big reworking of the later scenarios (especially the last one) as these were done when I just wanted the damn thing finished. Other things include adding even more hidden stuff and other stuff I'll leave as a surprise - but these won't happen for ages (maybe when the next major wesnoth release comes out?).

Personally, I can't see it being made canon - at least as it is now - as it has requires extra music and the use of language (might, I presume) be difficult for some non-native English speakers. It might also give translators a headache...

That said, as long as people enjoy it that's the main thing. I do intend to port it to later wesnoths as they come out and time/sanity permit!

Again, many thanks for the feedback!

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
Paleen

Post by Paleen »

Hi! Thanks for a very entertaining campaign! I just had one question/concern regarding a possible bug...

In the scenario "Aitsward Civil War", you have to locate the your kidnapped soldiers.
Spoiler:
I'd very much appreciate any hint that will help me complete this scenario. Thank you very much!
egallager

Post by egallager »

Paleen wrote: July 20th, 2021, 1:12 am Hi! Thanks for a very entertaining campaign! I just had one question/concern regarding a possible bug...

In the scenario "Aitsward Civil War", you have to locate the your kidnapped soldiers.
Spoiler:
I'd very much appreciate any hint that will help me complete this scenario. Thank you very much!
Spoiler:
egallager

Post by egallager »

Spannerbag wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 1:21 pm Hi Trossknecht,
Trossknecht wrote: November 9th, 2019, 6:30 pm Let me start by congratulating Spannerbag on the publication of After Eastern Invasion, and thank him for all the good work that went into creating it. It is a splendid campaign, and great fun to play.
Spoiler:
Many thanks for your kind words, much appreciated. Glad you enjoyed the campaign, sorry you had issues with Riverside.
If you don't mind, (at white_haired_uncle's suggestion) I'll point people to this thread? (See my signature for example link).

I'm more than happy to make changes to the campaign to make it more enjoyable and it seems that there aren't enough clues in several scenarios, resulting in more frustration than fun :(

The campaign was meant to be generally easy-ish to win each scenario but offered strategic challenges. In some cases this means that some scenarios can be very challenging if the player doesn't know the best way to play them.
E.g. for Riverside
Spoiler:
So yeah I'm up to Riverside now myself, and...
Spoiler:
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

egallager wrote: July 21st, 2021, 6:19 am So yeah I'm up to Riverside now myself, and...
Spoiler:
Added to the (rather lengthy) AEI-todo list :)

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
egallager

Post by egallager »

egallager wrote: July 21st, 2021, 6:19 am So yeah I'm up to Riverside now myself, and...
Spoiler:
...and now that I've finally beaten that scenario, let me upload my replay, because, holy cow, that took a long time:
AfterEI-Riverside replay.gz
(120.66 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
egallager

Post by egallager »

...crap. I was on the final scenario ("Solstice") and was planning on coming back to it later via one of my autosaves, but then I went and played something else resulting in my autosaves being deleted, so now I'll have to restart from the beginning of the scenario due to not having made any manual saves... given how long it takes to play, this has kind of killed my motivation... anyways, some feedback on the intervening scenarios:
  • In S20, "Favours", there was a choice where one of the options offered 4 loyal Outlaws. Because it was capitalized, I was expecting the unit type known as the "Outlaw" (i.e., the L2 advancement of the Footpad), but instead I got 2 Footpads and 2 Thugs. Rather disappointing!
  • In the following scenario (S21, "Surprise Visit") there was one point at which the objectives said "Kill ALL the ants" even after I had already defeated all the ants and only had the orcs left (I think it was when Flynn arrived)
Also, I generated some more diffs from the scenarios I've been editing: https://github.com/cooljeanius/wesnoth_ ... 7e97f81026
Spannerbag

Post by Spannerbag »

egallager wrote: September 21st, 2021, 8:12 am ...crap. I was on the final scenario ("Solstice") and was planning on coming back to it later via one of my autosaves, but then I went and played something else resulting in my autosaves being deleted, so now I'll have to restart from the beginning of the scenario due to not having made any manual saves... given how long it takes to play, this has kind of killed my motivation...
Heh, I can understand that - more on this below.

egallager wrote: September 21st, 2021, 8:12 am ...anyways, some feedback on the intervening scenarios:
  • In S20, "Favours", there was a choice where one of the options offered 4 loyal Outlaws. Because it was capitalized, I was expecting the unit type known as the "Outlaw" (i.e., the L2 advancement of the Footpad), but instead I got 2 Footpads and 2 Thugs. Rather disappointing!
  • In the following scenario (S21, "Surprise Visit") there was one point at which the objectives said "Kill ALL the ants" even after I had already defeated all the ants and only had the orcs left (I think it was when Flynn arrived)
Also, I generated some more diffs from the scenarios I've been editing: https://github.com/cooljeanius/wesnoth_ ... 7e97f81026
Will add a note to change case of "Outlaw" to my (rather lengthy) AfterEI to do list.
Re. objectives, I really struggled with these at times and completely recoding some of the objectives is also on my list - will check it fixes the bug youu mention.

Thanks for the diffs, will (eventually) go through them and probably pinch your best ideas :)

Due to real-life and working on another UMC AfterEi is currently not getting the attention it deserves :annoyed:
Some work has been done but there is loads left to do. As well as adding/amending/fixing stuff in light of feedback I am also working on a (very long) spoilers list, major revisions of the later scenarios (especially Solstice), general code updates (some of this has been done, e.g. replacing {FOREACH} with [foreach]) and adding lots of new stuff in light of what I've since learned about WML (and a tiny bit about lua).

I want to make it sufficiently different to the current verson that players who want to re-visit the thing will find new stuff.
Further I need to update the campaign description (now I've read the guidelines!).

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated - and if it seems nothing is happening be assured that's not (quite) the case although at present things are going really slooowly (but OTOH the difficulties I am encountering on my new UMC will inform the work on AfterEI).
Realistically I suspect AferEI 2.0 will be available around when Wesnoth 1.15 is the stable release :roll:

Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply and don't get rid of those diffs, I will download them eventually!

Cheers!
--Spannerbag