Fairytales of the Empire

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

NamAlex

Fairytales of the Empire

Post by NamAlex »

This is the feedback forum for the Harap Alb singleplayer campaign. If you have played the campaign and have any comments regarding it (bugs, difficulty), feel free to post about it here.
Keep in mind it is still in development, so I would appreciate if you post what you think about it. :D
Last edited by NamAlex on June 28th, 2019, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EarthCake

Re: Harap-Alb

Post by EarthCake »

eachother -> each other
Emperor and Lord and they rule kingdoms?
red -> read
Dad -> Father is better
The oldest brother -> your oldest son
chose -> choose
yoy -> you
farwell -> farewell

Ergh, what is the reason he wanted to scare his oldest son?

comming -> coming
fron -> front
dont need no... -> need no...
Emeperor -> Emperor
then -> than
yoy -> you
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Well this sounds like an interesting idea.
EarthCake wrote: May 30th, 2019, 4:47 pm Ergh, what is the reason he wanted to scare his oldest son?
This is based on an existing story. I'm actually curious how it translates to a campaign.
NamAlex

Post by NamAlex »

Thanks for your feedback on the spelling.
He wanted to scare his sons to prove them they weren't worthy to rule a bunch of people. This was the reason in the original story :)
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I believe the best way to call it is a "rite of passage"/"test of character". He wasn't really trying to prove anything, more like wanting to see for himself if they're suitable.
NamAlex

Post by NamAlex »

BTIsaac wrote: May 31st, 2019, 9:48 am I believe the best way to call it is a "rite of passage"/"test of character". He wasn't really trying to prove anything, more like wanting to see for himself if they're suitable.
Yes, you are correct.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Okay, so here are my first impressions.
First off, the major issue. I know there's a comic adaptation, but i can't exactly tell, is that the source of the art you're using? If yes, you should consider replacing it with something already in the game files, to avoid issues down the line.

Second, the storytelling. Stories like this can be translated into a game, yes, unfortunately, having the whole thing narrated in the form of exposition is not the way to do it. Much of the narration at the beginning can translate into a whole separate dialogue-only scenario. You can even have the hero fight the "bear" before the father reveals himself. Also, the hero doesn't get his name until his encounter with the villain, and on that note, while it's generally accepted that names should never be translated, names that lose their meaning in translation are an exception to this rule, and the hero's name is pretty damn significant.

Gameplay-wise, the battle scenario is a good idea, but the forest is not. If there's any segment in the story that can just be narrated, it's that one. Otherwise, you can have a regular forest map with shroud, temporary allies and some wild animals or bandits to fight. A large maze with dead-ends just doesn't work.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you. I'm interested in seeing where this goes.
NamAlex

Post by NamAlex »

Thank you for the feedback. I used some pictures from the comic adaptation, and I will keep in mind what you said. I will try to replace them when I can.

As for your second argument, it came to my mind that I could create a bigger map which could represent the entire road between the two castles, or something like that, and add more events, like the one with the bear.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Fairy Tales of the Empire

Post by Konrad2 »

S1
'Verywell , if... -> 'Very well, if
'Father, allow me to try., 'You have my permission... -> .',
(I'm not sure if I'm correcting this correctly though.)
got himself together, but insead of fighting... -> instead
courtyard were he sat... -> where
put his had in his palms... -> head
but I wander where will you find... -> wonder
Tha Bald Man -> The/the
se each other -> see

(There is some awkward grammar but I'm not sure if it's intended and I don't know how to do better without hurting the story.)

The orcs do not escape after you slay their leaders, but the human genereal talks as if they did.

S2
wanted to ask were... -> where
I got one -> I got one.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

Perhaps you should change the name of this topic to the name you are using for this campaign on add-ons server.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Hm. Looks like it's gone from the addon server.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

BTIsaac wrote: June 19th, 2019, 4:38 pm Hm. Looks like it's gone from the addon server.
No, it is not. It is renamed into "Fairytales of the Empire".
NamAlex

Post by NamAlex »

Konrad2 wrote: June 16th, 2019, 8:47 am (There is some awkward grammar but I'm not sure if it's intended and I don't know how to do better without hurting the story.)
Thank you for correcting my spelling mistakes. I am aware of the awkward grammar, but since I am not a native english speaker I couldn’t make a perfect translation. I hope that you can get the idea behind the story :D
EarthCake wrote: June 16th, 2019, 8:48 pm Perhaps you should change the name of this topic to the name you are using for this campaign on add-ons server.
I was looking into that, but I can’t figure out where is the option to rename a thread. :lol:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

NamAlex wrote: June 28th, 2019, 4:06 pm I was looking into that, but I can’t figure out where is the option to rename a thread. :lol:
Edit the title of the first post.
white_haired_uncle

Re: Fairytales of the Empire

Post by white_haired_uncle »

If this is going to involve a lot of puzzles/tricks, I think you should warn players ahead of time.

S1: Lots of references to west should be east.

S3: Hornets are the weakest level 3 units I've ever seen. If your hero is going to have an advancement path, he probably shouldn't pick up several levels here.