Captured by a Nightmare: SP Campaign for 1.14

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sergey

Captured by a Nightmare: SP Campaign for 1.14

Post by sergey »

The First Dark Age of Wesnoth. Orcs are aggressively increasing their power on the Great Continent. However, not all of their campaigns were successful. You will witness the disastrous one. A small orcish settlement in the Heart Mountains is attacked by superior dwarvish forces. Orcs are doomed to be exterminated. Play this campaign and take part in the further story. Hard level, 12 scenarios. All tested and balanced.

Difficulty balance is one of the top priorities of this campaign:
- there are 5 difficulty levels
- gold carryover is removed
- early finish bonus gives XP to main characters, they have special AMLAs
- recall cost depends on a unit level
I removed gold carryover since it has a risk of “snowball” effect in my opinion. Player who is doing well will have more gold than player who is suffering. At some point it may break the balance.

There are small amount of dialogues in this campaign. I don’t like a lot of dialogues. However, I feel like there could be more text. Maybe I will add it later.

Any feedback is welcome. Feel free to post your replays in this thread or send me a private message, I would appreciate that.

Replays on the page: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Player_UMC_Rep ... _Nightmare

Credits:
Last edited by sergey on May 24th, 2019, 7:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Captured by a Nightmare: SP Campaign for 1.14

Post by Konrad2 »

The bats in S1 make 'clap clap' instead of maybe 'flap flap'.
Fractal

Post by Fractal »

Nice campaign so far.

Some remarks.
When the merfolk leaders die in the scenario where we help the nagas, they speak in cyrilik instead of english.

In the nightmare after the wolf race, in the cave, where the water is flowing, the goblin rider hero keeps popping out of existence when getting hit (sometimes, like 1 hit out of 2, something like that). I think it has something to do with the fact that I give him the steadfast potion.
sergey

Post by sergey »

Konrad2 wrote: April 30th, 2019, 10:19 pm The bats in S1 make 'clap clap' instead of maybe 'flap flap'.
I don't know :? Updated as you suggested.
Fractal wrote: May 1st, 2019, 2:02 pm Nice campaign so far.

Some remarks.
When the merfolk leaders die in the scenario where we help the nagas, they speak in cyrilik instead of english.

In the nightmare after the wolf race, in the cave, where the water is flowing, the goblin rider hero keeps popping out of existence when getting hit (sometimes, like 1 hit out of 2, something like that). I think it has something to do with the fact that I give him the steadfast potion.
Thank you. I fixed several dialogs that I missed to translate. Could you please send me a replay or savefile and specify at what turns the bug occurs.

Uploaded version 1.1.0 with the fixes mentioned above and balance tweaks for the last scenario.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Fractal

Post by Fractal »

Here it is : https://ufile.io/zv8ahc2v

End the turn so that the dwarfs can attack your hero.

As it happens, the problem actually comes from the shaman special ability (-25% less damage for allied), because the main hero disappears too when he is next to the shaman.
Does not seems to happens for the normal units.
sergey

Post by sergey »

This is a critical bug, but it affects only that particular scenario. I will add a fix to the campaign soon. Great thanks for the report.
Last edited by sergey on May 26th, 2019, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fractal

Post by Fractal »

Nice, thank you !
sergey

Post by sergey »

Bug reported by Fractal is fixed in version 1.2.0
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

sergey wrote: May 1st, 2019, 2:49 pm
Konrad2 wrote: April 30th, 2019, 10:19 pm The bats in S1 make 'clap clap' instead of maybe 'flap flap'.
I don't know :? Updated as you suggested.
clapping -> moving your hands together to make a sound (clapping hands = applause)
flapping -> moving wings (or arms) around more or less wildly, usually to fly or to emulate a flying attempt
Both 'clap' and 'flap' count as sounds (or sound effects?).
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

The Hammer and the Anvil:
dwarfs -> maybe dwarves is better
Why not put some villages away in south?
Also, why does Bart wear amulet that is intended for son of chief? Vadasha gave it to him not to wear it, but to give it to his son?
CbaN-The Hammer and the Anvil replay.gz
(42.49 KiB) Downloaded 533 times
CbaN-The Tribute replay.gz
(28.33 KiB) Downloaded 588 times
CbaN-The Nightmare replay.gz
(39.25 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
sergey

Post by sergey »

EarthCake wrote: May 3rd, 2019, 8:38 am dwarfs -> maybe dwarves is better
I will update that.
EarthCake wrote: May 3rd, 2019, 8:38 am Why not put some villages away in south?
I am not sure, the scenario is already balanced. Why do you think villages in the south would be better?

- To have more gold for player? Dwarves will anyway capture those villages, since there is a lot of mountains making dwarves overpowered outside of the camp. As a result even more gold to the dwarves.

- To make dwarves spent time for capturing the villages? But what if there will be some dwarves hanging around those villages, so it would be even harder for Bart to escape. Also, dwarves may start to fight bats and water serpents if they get close, it is not intended.

- To heal Bart (and his support) while he escapes? Maybe. Did you noticed that Vadasha said "Hushnak, Bart is our son's last hope. Send more riders to protect him."? With several support units Bart should be able to escape without healing.
EarthCake wrote: May 3rd, 2019, 8:38 am Also, why does Bart wear amulet that is intended for son of chief? Vadasha gave it to him not to wear it, but to give it to his son?
The idea is that amulet should help Bart to escape, later Bart will give the amulet to Rark. Vadasha says "I have something for you, Bart. This amulet will help you. When Rark will grow up, tell him about us and give him this amulet." In the next scenario Rark is wearing the amulet. Do you think it would be better to change the wording?

Thanks for your reply and replays, I will take a look.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

I think more villages in south, maybe 6-7 hexes south will give player more opportunity to defend and more time. I managed without those, but few more dwarves on east will mean a lot, because player has only 3 hexes to recruit. They will arrive around turn 6-7, and Bart arrives in turn 10.

About amulet; ok, I think I somehow missed that lines.
sergey

Post by sergey »

6-7 hexes south from the outer wall of the camp? I don't think that will work. Mountains outside of the camp provide a huge advantage to dwarves, they will capture villages and get more gold.

There are only 3 hexes to recruit intentionally, it is an additional challenge for the player. I would like to emphasize - this is a hard campaign by design. On the easiest difficulty it should not be that hard, but still there are custom things that may be not appropriate for beginners. I would like to encourage people to choose easier difficulties and have fun rather than struggle on higher difficulties.

Let's do it the next way. I will not change the first scenario right now, but if people will continue to complain that the scenario is too hard I will figure out something.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

As someone who has played the scenario, I think it's doable.
Attachments
CbaN-The Hammer and the Anvil replay.gz
(38.76 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
sergey

Post by sergey »

I thought only few will dare to play on the highest difficulty :) I must admit I have not played the campaign on the Nightmare yet, though I tested it on Normal and Hard. And I made Nightmare about 15% more difficult than Hard (roughly speaking a difference between difficulty levels is about 15% in terms of gold and scripted units). If someone will find out that some scenario is impossible on Nightmare let me know.
Last edited by sergey on May 3rd, 2019, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.