Winds of Fate

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

name

Re: Wings of Valor 2.0.5 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Post by name »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 12th, 2021, 7:11 pm Just replace the gate units with impassable terrain?
And let Hejnewar exploit such durable chokepoints to farm even more XP?

Nay!
Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 12th, 2021, 7:11 pm Or, if you really want the elves to ignore the gates, but prioritize the drakes, I suggest you utilize goal tags to assign zero values to gates and a really highly value to drakes.
That was our original attempted solution but it does not seem to work. Maybe because [goal] only affects "move targets" and not attack targets, according to the wiki.

I finally got what looks like a working solution yesterday though-- filtering with the attacks aspect. Hopefully now the scenario works as it was designed to, with elves focusing on the player forces while the woses act as battering rams breaking down the gates so elves can flood in faster and with less ways to stop them. I just have to rebalance with weaker undead resistance to compensate for this...
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

benkenobiwan wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:42 pm "Provisions were quartered" > Not sure if this is supposed to mean provisions were stored somewhere or if they reduced provisions to one-quarter of the usual. "Provisions were laid up" or "Provisions were halved" are more clear.
This line seems like it's trying to link to the position of a "quartermaster", who would be in charge of the provisions; however, that doesn't really work, because the "quarter" in "quartermaster" has nothing to do with food and more to do with "living quarters".

Therefore, the only reasonable reading of this would be "the provisions were divided in four parts", but even if that's what you meant, it's a strange way to say it.
benkenobiwan wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:42 pm"The merfolk have deranged us for centuries" > deranged is an extremely rare verb so it almost seemed like a typo I like the drake's verbose speech, but I think this one will confuse people. The definition is to disturb operation/function. Have the merfolk been sabotaging some drake effort? Alternative words: despised, plagued, harassed, meddled in our affairs, or disrupted.
I definitely find this line confusing too. I'd never seen this usage of the word "deranged" until just now. Note: "despised" is probably not a valid substitute from what I can tell.
benkenobiwan wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:42 pm"We will prevail through them" > this means that merfolk will be the cause of Gorlack prevailing, rather than what he has to prevail against. "We shall drive on through them" or "We shall prevail against/despite/over them" are more clear.
I'm not sure if I agree on your interpretation of "prevail through", but it certainly is a strange construction and definitely doesn't have the meaning you intended if "them" refers to the enemies, so this suggestion
is spot on.
benkenobiwan wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:42 pm"We must retreat to the eyrie with due haste" > "all haste"
This one seems like a matter of opinion, as both "due haste" and "all haste" sound correct. Of course, they have different meanings, with "due" here meaning something like "enough" or "sufficient" while "all" means "maximum". In other words, "all haste" is more hasty than "due haste". It may indeed be better to use "all haste", but I can't say this for certain/
benkenobiwan wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:42 pm"I will repay you this" > "I will repay you for this." Actually, that line doesn't make sense. I assume it's supposed to foreshadow Reshan's sacrifice, but why would Gorlack deserve repayment? Sure, Gorlack is saving them, but he's also saving himself. You could change the line to "You got me out of that cave alive, now I'm going to get you out of this one."[/list]
I don't think your argument about repayment here is valid. Just because someone does something ultimately self-serving that ends up helping you does not mean that they do not deserve repayment, reward, compensation, or the like.
benkenobiwan wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:42 pm"Land gliders" > It seems a little odd that Reshan would label inanimate ships "Sea gliders" and then see a living horse and call it a "Land glider" both as a reference to his own caste.
I think it's fine, to be honest. I don't think the animacy of something is a high priority in deciding what to call it.
benkenobiwan wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:42 pmThe lower-case = sadness thing doesn't work for me.
…huh? Who would ever see lower-case and think "sadness"? As far as I know, there's no such association in any written medium?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
name

Post by name »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 15th, 2021, 11:23 pm Therefore, the only reasonable reading of this would be "the provisions were divided in four parts", but even if that's what you meant, it's a strange way to say it.
Yeah it does sound strange; it has been changed to "halved" in the development version.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 15th, 2021, 11:23 pm I definitely find this line confusing too. I'd never seen this usage of the word "deranged" until just now. Note: "despised" is probably not a valid substitute from what I can tell.
Since this is two votes against "deranged", the line has been changed to: "Long have the merfolk harried us. Now they choke our passage across their ocean realm."
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 15th, 2021, 11:23 pm I'm not sure if I agree on your interpretation of "prevail through", but it certainly is a strange construction and definitely doesn't have the meaning you intended if "them" refers to the enemies, so this suggestion
is spot on.
Changed to: "We shall overcome them as so we always have."
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 15th, 2021, 11:23 pmIn other words, "all haste" is more hasty than "due haste". It may indeed be better to use "all haste", but I can't say this for certain.
Yeah, all haste fits the emergency nature of the situation better, so I went with benkenobiwan's suggestion.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 15th, 2021, 11:23 pm…huh? Who would ever see lower-case and think "sadness"? As far as I know, there's no such association in any written medium?
Though benkenobiwan did read the combination of context and grammatical stylization correctly.
The idea here is that while:

ALL CAPS IS OFTEN USED FOR SHOUTING...

all lower case may suggest a quiet, perhaps weary and defeated tone...

lacking the power and formality we once heard in the voice of this character before his fall
Last edited by name on May 17th, 2021, 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

name wrote: May 17th, 2021, 2:50 am Though benkenobiwan did read the combination of context and grammatical stylization correctly.
The idea here is that while:

ALL CAPS IS OFTEN USED FOR SHOUTING...

all lower case may suggest a quiet, perhaps weary and defeated tone...

lacking the power and formality we once heard in the voice of this character before his fall
While I can't say there's no logic to your choice here, it's something I've never seen and would probably never guess. If I saw an all-lower-case sentence, I'd just assume you forgot to capitalize it. Note that all caps for shouting is also fairly rare in literature from what I've seen, though it is at least an established trend so I'd definitely recognize it when I saw it.

If you want a typographical indication of a quieter voice, I would suggest just using a smaller font size.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
name

Post by name »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: Most of us revere Drakes as an honourable and yet, warlike race. Seeing them being degraded to beasts and savage like behaviour in their "mainline" campaign really sets a bad example for the drake lore lovers.
I think a stumbling block here is the impression that WoV is meant to:

1) Be the one and only drake campaign that will ever be mainlined.
2) Represent a static drake culture that would not change or evolve over the mainline timeline.
3) Overwrite existing drake depictions in mainline like the character Krash from Northern Rebirth or the drake colony on Bilheld in Dark Waters.

Yet the intention with WoV is the exact opposite in each of the above cases.

One of the goals of the 2.0 WoV story line rewrite was to begin an epic three part history of the evolving Drake civilization over the official timeline:

~3Y W to ~20 YW:

~21 YW to 550/600 YW:

~600 YW to 900/1000 YW (or just before the Great Fall):
Last edited by name on May 17th, 2021, 6:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.
name

Post by name »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: May 17th, 2021, 3:10 am If you want a typographical indication of a quieter voice, I would suggest just using a smaller font size.
Good suggestion, I will make this the first alternative.

I have some concern a small font will make the text more difficult to read for the visually impaired, but small text is already used for whispered lines in mainline, so I guess it does not matter.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Winds of Fate 3.0.0 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.15.13 and up)

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Tired of those same objectives every scenario? Does your name brand drake campaign keep changing its title on you? Introducing...

Winds of Fate 3.0.0, a drake campaign aiming for mainline inclusion, is now available on the Wesnoth 1.15.x add-on server!
For BfW 1.15.13 and up.
Brought to you by name & SigurdFireDragon

Changes:

---- Redesign of most scenarios' gameplay with story adjustments and lore additions mixed in. ----

S01: A new wild creature and more hidden events adding to the story and lore.
S02: New objectives, an all new enemy unit, more enemy unit spawning variety and additional story.
S02x: Adjusted lore.
S03: The classic returns (with 1.15's improved AI).
S03x: Adjusted story and added some new lore hints.
S04: New objective and adjusted story and lore.
S05: New objective, another all new enemy unit, added dangerous wildlife, additional player allies and some added story.
S05x: Map adjusted to show newly constructed Eyrie and other drake renovations to the Three Sisters.
S06: More enemy unit variety, more player reinforcement unit types, and some story adjustments.
S06x: Lore additions and story adjustments.
S07: Brand new forest fire mechanic and some story adjustments.
S08: Some drake-and-saurian-friendly map changes and removed undead income, balanced with elves overcoming their hatred of gates to focus on the player. More story and lore.
S09: New objective and all new map. New enemies, flow and pacing. Story adjustments.
S10: Refined objective and all new map. Enemy spawns most units in waves. More daylight turns for player. Much more player village_income because the drakes are at an established Eyrie.
S11: New objectives and all new map. Added player allies and redesigned enemy's strategy. Much more player village_income because the drakes are at an established Eyrie.

Moved most enemy income over to village_gold, so taking enemy villages now has a much bigger impact in most scenarios that involve enemy recruiting and are not survival or escape objectives.

Additional story artwork added.

With this 3.0 release, we have now done two big overhauls in response to everyone's constructive and thorough feedback. The result is a whole new campaign with little or no overlap remaining with the old Wings of Victory, besides what is already mainline canon from the Rise of Wesnoth and the ferocious stories of drakes from mythology.

Hope you enjoy it!
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Winds of Fate 3.0.0 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.15.13 and up)

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I have arrived to report a bug that requires immediate patching.
Screenshot 2021-05-28 231329.png
This allied Sea Serpent refuses to move from its spawned location.

Please fix this so I can resume playing and give my review.
WoF-Islands Turn 5.gz
(39.48 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
WoF-Islands-Auto-Save6.gz
(40.9 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Hello, on starting Scenario 5 "The Three Sisters", I was bombarded by 2500 "Invalid WML found" messages:
WoF-The Three Sisters.gz
(11.92 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
WoF-The Three Sisters-Auto-Save1.gz
(49.96 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
These two line go on repeat for 1250 times
I tried to upload a log file but it isn't being accepted. "File too large"

Code: Select all

20210529 00:06:58 error deprecation: terrain.owner has been deprecated and will be removed in version 1.17.0.; This returns 0 for side 1 etc and should not be used. Use owner_side instead.
20210529 00:06:58 error deprecation: unit.side has been deprecated and will be removed in version 1.17.0.; This returns 0 for side 1 etc and should not be used. Use side_number instead.
Please patch this.
name

Post by name »

`
Thanks for the bug reports!
Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 28th, 2021, 5:15 pm This allied Sea Serpent refuses to move from its spawned location.
I played from your saves and it looks like the Sea Serpent only attacks at dusk on turn 7, once the time of day is favorable, at which point it did eat the southeast mermish leader in one go...

So I will move the appearance of the Sea Serpents to the end of turn 6 (from the end of turn 4) and then the southern serpent should attack on its first fresh move. This should fix the issue of the cowardly looking sea serpent while not making defeating the southern leader too easy, hopefully.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: May 28th, 2021, 6:20 pm

20210529 00:06:58 error deprecation: terrain.owner has been deprecated and will be removed in version 1.17.0.; This returns 0 for side 1 etc and should not be used. Use owner_side instead.
20210529 00:06:58 error deprecation: unit.side has been deprecated and will be removed in version 1.17.0.; This returns 0 for side 1 etc and should not be used. Use side_number instead.
This is a strange one; it does not look like we use terrain.owner or unit.side anywhere in this scenario.

I was not able to reproduce these errors using 1.15.3 but it looks like you are using 1.15.3+dev right?
It could be this is something that has changed since the 1.15.3 release...
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

@Lord-Knightmare
I can't reproduce the issue with S05 either on my own or using your saves. I'm running today's master build.
What build are you on, how are your building, & have you tried a cache purge?
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

SigurdFireDragon wrote: May 28th, 2021, 8:58 pm @Lord-Knightmare
I can't reproduce the issue with S05 either on my own or using your saves. I'm running today's master build.
What build are you on, how are your building, & have you tried a cache purge?
I use the Msys2 method.
I built at Battle for Wesnoth v1.15.13+dev (4ee5e41a2e5-Modified) x86_64 (latest commit as of the time of this post)

Oddly enough, the Invalid Warnings stopped after I obliterated most of Side 2, so maybe it was their AI code.

Anyways, Here is my review so far of the new Winds of Fate:
review

# Winds of Fate

## Starting Impressions:
1. Reboot of _Wings of Victory_/_Wings of Valour_ since those received nothing except negative reviews and continued lambasting in the official wesnoth discord.
2. Drake campaign. Intermediate Level
3. Mainline campaign candidate.
4. rebranded title "Winds of Fate" is the same as the "Winds of Fate" Book by Mercedes Lackey (1992). Might get copyrighted/sued. I am not a lawyer so I cannot say.
5. Leader's advancement path is fixed? Okay. I guess it's fine.
6. Armageddon Drake enabled only for Gorlack. Okay. No complaints.

## Specifics:
1. Battle for Wesnoth v1.15.13+dev (4ee5e41a2e5-Modified) x86_64
2. Windows 10 (Msys)
3. Biased RNG + Normal difficulty (the middle one)

## Scenario 1: 
1. The kill/harvest counter seems too low for "Challenging". Should be like 20 or 25.
2. Symphalian is just the worst. I guess it's fine though. 16 XP rewards for a kill.
3. enemy monster spawns sometimes become rather absurd. Example: one cuttlefish spawned on the lake of Water Serpents and this led to a 1v2v1 of a Symphalian, the Cuttlefish and 2 serpents
4. Enemy spawns sometimes seem out of hand at later turns. Saw like a cluster of Swamp Lizards and Horned Scarabs in the southern path.
5. Drake Fighter which joins in this scenario is now Karron and he does not join the player's recall list. Did not like this change.
6. Fire Guardian gave a "The Fae" reference. Does this reference _Genesis_, _Invasion from the Unknown_, or _After the Storm_?

## Scenario 2:
1. Objectives were changed. Approved of these new ones. Good.
2. Skimmers? Hmm, interesting and quite challenging as well.
3. Found a lore book northwestwards? okay, so it says that the Drakes and Dragons were responsible for the Valefolk and Wesfolk fleeing the Old Continent. Interesting. Would you mind if I added this to..my timeline of things?

## Scenario 3:
1. Ah, yes. I like it better than the last time I played it.
2. Drake Gliders are the most useless units here. One suggestion I would make is add an optional advancement to the Drake Adventurer, an UMC secondary advancement-line to the Drake Glider, to make their usage worthwhile. 
3. Drake Clashers are most viable.
4. Drake Flares are worth more than Fire Drakes or any other unit types.
5. Won by 2.5:1 ratio. (see screenshot)
6. Couldn't get the special reward like I did last time. Oh well.

## Scenario 4:
1. Nice to see Nagas recruiting more than a single unit type.
2. The Krakens were nice. Annoying, frustrating but nice.
3. Objective was changed. Good.
4. The AI of Side 3 (nagas) appeared to be...super silly. Completely disogranised and un-coordinated.
5. Sea Serpent behaviour was astoundingly silly. They should have had more "monster AI"
6. One Sea Serpent just stood there without attacking Side 2
7. One Sea Serpent almost cost me the game by stealing one village of mine and stayed there for a 1-2 turns. Felt lucky when the sea serpent decided to leave it.
8. Another Sea Serpent moved away and enabled one Kraken to kill off my Flare. I reloaded out of disgust.
9. I liked this scenario before, but due to such Allied AI behaviour, I am disappointed. Moving on.
10. See replay.
11. I played on Biased RNG so it was okayish for me, but this might more or less be the RNG nightmare for other people.
12. Please put the Kraken for addition to core. It's a nice unit and has been in _Dead Water_ for quite some time.

## Scenario 5 (Three Sisters):
1. Scenario seems changed. Same objectives as previous one, but okay since it's not like the same objective on repeat like the last one.
2. Side 2 leader had the name "Haldric" (Lieutenant), but the Master Bowman "Elyn", remarks that "Rhyninn" has died. Is this some typo?
3. Bombarded by over 2500 "Invalid WML found" messages...and counting...
4. 12k lines on my screen. Yeah, I will wait for this to be fixed.
5. What is the reason being placing the Silver Mage at (19,3). This was funny and out of place.
6. If I have no recruits or recalls here, why did you you give me 100 gold? 
7. Thank you for taking my previous suggestion and recalling one of my experienced Drake Warriors and some other Drakes such as that Fighter and Burner.
8. It was amusing seeing the Loyalists get torn apart by the monsters.
9. Certain units spawning location was absurd. The volcano at the Southeast spat out a Giant Spider, and that patch of desert at (17,11) suddenly spawned a Swamp Lizard and Giant Spider which then proceeded a mano-e-mano.

## scenario 6: (Elensefar):
1. Objective is "Harvest all prey". This is fine. I guess it's the same as the first one's objective so, okayish.
2. Replay of "cutscene" scenario 05x was generated, even though it shouldn't. 
3. Haven't started this yet. Will play tomorrow.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-05-28 211332.png
WoF-The Hunt replay 20210528-193221.gz
(29.68 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
WoF-The Raid replay 20210528-202526.gz
(35.83 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
WoF-The Contention replay 20210528-211500.gz
(28.43 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
WoF-Islands replay 20210528-234357.gz
(40.48 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
WoF-The Three Sisters replay 20210529-031447.gz
(47.33 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

name wrote: May 28th, 2021, 8:33 pm `

This is a strange one; it does not look like we use terrain.owner or unit.side anywhere in this scenario.

It did not impact gameplay but it's rather annoying spamming Ctrl+X/:clear every 2 seconds during AI turns.

Also, My save files:
Attachments
WoF-The Feast.gz
(7.7 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
WoF-The Contention.gz
(7.7 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
WoF-Islands.gz
(10.88 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
WoF-The Three Sisters.gz
(11.92 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
WoF-Elensefar.gz
(15.95 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

@Lord-Knightmare
I did finally get the error in S05 when the side two ai attacked.
Might be a change in master branch after 1.15.13 was released, might be something else.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

SigurdFireDragon wrote: May 28th, 2021, 9:56 pm @Lord-Knightmare
I did finally get the error in S05 when the side two ai attacked.
Might be a change in master branch after 1.15.13 was released, might be something else.
In either case, I may need to re-play the fifth scenario since I remembered that I did not get those temple Saurians :doh: (despite getting the last time).

## Scenario 5 (extra after loading from an autosave to get the temples)
10. reloaded from an autosave to raid the temples. Wasn't disappointed. Good stuff.
11. Realised This scenario is an XP farm.
12. One Scorpling spawned on a volcano hex...and BBQ Scorpion?
Spoiler:
Attachments
WoF-The Three Sisters replay 20210529-043206.gz
(54.08 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
WoF-Elensefar.gz
(17.43 KiB) Downloaded 129 times