Winds of Fate

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Wings of Valor 2.0.5 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Version 2.0.5 is now available on the Wesnoth 1.14.x add-on server!

Changes:
Scenarios 02,03,04,10,11: Balancing adjustments to make Hard harder, and Easy easier.

02 The Raid:
Give AI enemies additional income based on their held villages. This gives the AI driven units allied with the player a bigger impact on the battle
Fix bug where ship is destroyed after Viragar is captured and random orc responds to line Viragar has not said due to having already been captured.

04 Islands
Adjust turn limits so it's not a difficulty control.

06 Elensefar:
Rebalance to make player timing of reinforcements more meaningful.
Dialog fixes.

Announcements:
Name & myself would like to see this campaign added to mainline for 1.15/1.16
We are looking for an additional maintainer for the campaign.
If you are interested in submitting the pull request on github and taking it from there, please PM me.
Also, if you've played a 2.0.x version of Wings of Valor and feel this campaign should be added to mainline, please post your support here.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Mirion147

Re: Wings of Valor 2.0.5 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Post by Mirion147 »

First I want to say that I'm really happy you are pushing forward again to enter this campaign into mainline!

I played 2.0.5 on easy (wanted to see the content rather than the challenge).
I have a few notes:
Spoiler:
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Septim

Post by Septim »

I'm already sharpen my tools to translate this campaign ;).
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Thanks for the review, Mirion147
Thanks Septim

A port to 1.15 is underway, with some scenario objective changes planned.
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

A port to 1.15 is underway, with some scenario objective changes planned.
Excellent. I shall review it with much elaboration when it comes out.
(Please, for the love of Wesnoth, just no more "Wesmere" scenario...that scenario and one(s) after it were the start of the mass-disapproval).
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
name

Post by name »

'

Thank you for the review and feedback Mirion147 !
Mirion147 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 8:11 pm The Hunt:
Is it possible to have the objective (15 units) decrease as you kill units?
I believe it is possibly and intend to test it. Also planning to throw a [print] on the screen with the number of remaining kills needed, each time a kill is made (assuming this is not too annoying or distracting for anyone).
Mirion147 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 8:11 pm The Raid:
Have you considered placing any leftover units from "The Hunt" in your starting units in this scenario (whichever fits the allotted castes) and fill in whichever ones the player doesn't already have in the recall list with new units?
[...]
The Three Sister:
Same note as with "The Raid" adding some of the Glider caste on the recall list would make sense imho.
It would add more consistency between the scenarios. Though the balance implications might be concerning. Particularly with The Three Sisters, the player showing up with a wing of hurricane drakes or a wing of gliders (depending on what is in their recall list) could make the scenario very easy or very hard.
Mirion147 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 8:11 pm The Raid:
Also, I know I'm playing on easy, but it is super simple to surround the closes enemy leader and kill him when he goes to capture the village just north of his keep on turn 1.
Good to know; I am presently overhauling The Raid for a new set of scenario objectives and I will keep this in mind as I get into the balancing phase.
Mirion147 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 8:11 pm The Contention:
I really enjoy this thematic element. Maybe I'm just bad at paying attention but it was a bit hard for me to follow the whole second intendant thing.
Glad you enjoyed it. :)
The game mechanics of the second Intendants are a bit complicated, I am afraid.
Basically, you have two loyal units-- one of the clasher caste and one of the fighter caste. They can get killed without you losing the game. If your clasher intendant was killed, let's say, then the next time you recall a veteran clasher (level 2 or 3), that clasher will be promoted to the position of intendant and receive the "loyal" bonus (so it costs you no upkeep).
Mirion147 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 8:11 pm Islands:
This is when things get odd for me, and I could be totally wrong here, but...I just am not sure the Naga would be able to understand the drakes speech (because of word choice/sentence structure) as well as they do, but this isn't that big of a deal, just an odd moment for me.
I think I see what you mean, I will give the dialogue between them a bit of a rewrite with this in mind.
Mirion147 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 8:11 pm The Three Sister:
Also, the scenario specifically says "now you can recruit Saurians" but you can't recruit Saurians.
Oops, sorry about that message; it should have been in the following scenario.
Mirion147 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 8:11 pm Wesmere:
Another slightly jarring moment is Salennea...So, the speech patterns in this campaign are far different than that of the normal Wesnoth campaign. This has been fine so far as it has been mainly Drakes speaking and I simply put it as their cultural norm, but now Salennea is speaking of esoteric powers and unelucidated talents? It's just a bit jarring as a whole unit. I'm all for it, but if it isn't present across all campaigns but is very present in this campaign (even amongst various races), it seems less like a cultural thing and more like a writing style, which pulls from the immersion of the game world.

Foothills:
It just kinda seems like these drakes are coming across every eloquent individual in Wesnoth. I definitely think it's fitting for the drakes, but maybe not with almost every other race. You could even have this lich talk like this and have Gorlack actually take a liking because he feels more comfortable around him since he uses similar speech. Possibly making it a note or a joke for allying with him. He finally meets someone in this land that he can understand, or vice versa.
Good points. I will have to review how the elvish characters speak in LoW and try to bring Salennea's voice more in line with them. The lich may need to be more direct and less rambling.
Mirion147 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 8:11 pm Heart Mountains:
This is my least favorite level. I feel like I've been killing every enemy unit for most of the campaign and being completely surrounded but actually needing to win made me just run in circles around this level. I understand the relevance of level and of clearing the area of irritants, but this is like the 9th scenario? I think? And this is the 6th scenario with "kill all enemy units" as the objective, that's a lot of killing every single thing on the map.
Agreed. I will be redoing this one with a new objective and the same goes for several of the other scenarios, such that the number of "kill all enemies" scenarios will be reduced from 6 to 2. Further, there should be never more than two scenarios sharing the same objective over this campaign, after the overhaul is complete.
Mirion147 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 8:11 pm As a whole I enjoyed the campaign and thought it was an interesting story of how/why the drakes came to Wesnoth!
Thank you for the kind words and honest criticism. We never could have made it to this point without so much informative feedback from the community.
name

Post by name »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: April 20th, 2021, 6:36 pm Excellent. I shall review it with much elaboration when it comes out.
(Please, for the love of Wesnoth, just no more "Wesmere" scenario...that scenario and one(s) after it were the start of the mass-disapproval).
Did you disapprove of Wesmere's game play; like too much forest cover for the elves to hide in?
Any thoughts on Fire Meets Steal and Confrontation?

I am currently reworking the early scenarios but I should be getting to these later ones soon.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

name wrote: April 20th, 2021, 8:04 pm Did you disapprove of Wesmere's game play; like too much forest cover for the elves to hide in?
Any thoughts on Fire Meets Steal and Confrontation?

I am currently reworking the early scenarios but I should be getting to these later ones soon.
I guess your co-maintainer did not share my review of the 1.14-port. It was rather thorough and honest.
Fire Meets Steel
I know it's a survival but throwing in the perfect Drake Counters of the KA faction AND their worst terrain is just warranting a bad score overall, also, "kill all enemies" was set as an optional this time but still ruins the campaign
Confrontation
Drakes section of the "kill all units" marathon. Clashers, Thrashers and Arbiters clusters making me regret playing...yeah...I dropped it without finishing it.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/wesnoth/campai ... rustration
WoV did not aim for "fun" at all. It was more or less frustrating.
name

Post by name »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: April 20th, 2021, 8:30 pm I guess your co-maintainer did not share my review of the 1.14-port. It was rather thorough and honest.
We did both see it, and that, plus Hejnewar's thorough review from last year and some more recent discord discussions, is why we are redoing a lot of the scenario objectives. I only asked about Wesmere's game play and the last two scenarios because those were the few things absent from your review.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: April 20th, 2021, 8:30 pm
Fire Meets Steel
I know it's a survival but throwing in the perfect Drake Counters of the KA faction AND their worst terrain is just warranting a bad score overall, also, "kill all enemies" was set as an optional this time but still ruins the campaign
Confrontation
Drakes section of the "kill all units" marathon. Clashers, Thrashers and Arbiters clusters making me regret playing...yeah...I dropped it without finishing it.
Thanks, I will look into adding more terrain variety to the later maps and investigate the enemy recruiting code for these last two scenarios.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

I haven't played though the revised campaign yet, but a suggestion for Fire Meets Steel:
Spoiler:
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

octalot wrote: April 21st, 2021, 2:11 pm I haven't played though the revised campaign yet, but a suggestion for Fire Meets Steel:
Spoiler:
They are not drakeguards but dragonguards, dragons were already present in wesnoth at that time if I remember correctly.
name

Post by name »

Hejnewar wrote: April 21st, 2021, 2:31 pm
octalot wrote: April 21st, 2021, 2:11 pm I haven't played though the revised campaign yet, but a suggestion for Fire Meets Steel:
Spoiler:
They are not drakeguards but dragonguards, dragons were already present in wesnoth at that time if I remember correctly.
Correct, there are fire dragons living on the great continent before humans, orcs and the drakes of morogor arrive there.

A late era Fire Lance or early Hand Cannon might work better as a primitive dwarven ranged fire weapon.
With pre-gunpowder flamethrowers you need at least a second individual standing near by to hand-operate the bellows. This might look strange to have a single unit made up of two or more dwarves.

However, the biggest problem with the later scenarios seems to be insufficient terrain variety for the maps. I suspect few players would mind facing some thunderers if they had enough opportunities to slaughter them as they crossed poor terrain. So I will rework these maps with game play in mind. If that fails to be sufficient, I will look into using an incendiary thunderer custom unit or Thurdakor simply having no interest in recruiting guardsmen and thunderers to begin with.
benkenobiwan

Post by benkenobiwan »

Loving this campaign so far. Here is some feedback/ideas. Take it or leave it, you won't break my heart ;)

S1 worked well

S2 was definitely harder. I lost several times and eventually had to do a near-suicide rush to kill the assassin leader within the first four turns to keep the number of enemy spawns down. In addition to save-loading critical fights. It seems like the enemies (especially blue) generate a ridiculous amount of income, but I might just be missing the strategy.

S3 was some fun variety. I don't know if it's intentional, but my opponent did nothing but spawn two units the first turn. Didn't send his leader to capture a town, which left him at a big disadvantage. I controlled over half the towns the whole match.

S4 intro text typo: "shadows of craggy peeks" > "peaks"
Other intro text:
  • "Provisions were quartered" > Not sure if this is supposed to mean provisions were stored somewhere or if they reduced provisions to one-quarter of the usual. "Provisions were laid up" or "Provisions were halved" are more clear.
  • "wingwake mildly rippling behind" > softly or gently rippling? "mild" seems out of place.
  • "You are specifically banished from them" > Perhaps "banished from them forthwith/henceforth".
  • "The merfolk have deranged us for centuries" > deranged is an extremely rare verb so it almost seemed like a typo I like the drake's verbose speech, but I think this one will confuse people. The definition is to disturb operation/function. Have the merfolk been sabotaging some drake effort? Alternative words: despised, plagued, harassed, meddled in our affairs, or disrupted.
  • "We will prevail through them" > this means that merfolk will be the cause of Gorlack prevailing, rather than what he has to prevail against. "We shall drive on through them" or "We shall prevail against/despite/over them" are more clear.
Playthrough of the scenario was a blast!

S5 loving the story so far
  • I don't know if it's supposed to be fixed yet, but Three Sisters still says you can recruit Saurians when you can't.
S6
  • What is the Proclaiming? The establishment of the eyrie or the messengers being dispatched back to Morogor?
  • Who is Verkon? Some off-screen character or was that supposed to be changed to Vladnir? "probing the domain of Verkon" "Verkon counseled me here"
  • "many times of underrated prey turning to become the hunter" > "many times of underestimated prey rising to become the hunter". "Rising" is just an idea, but I think "underestimated" is much more Gorlack's vocabulary than "underrated"
  • "I conjure you, remember your Fire". Conjure > Adjure, and I would either capitalize Fire or bold it, not both.
S7 Enjoyable level, good spin on killing everything since you get to set up your ambush before combat starts.
  • Arinexis' whispered line about the elves' underbelly really feels like it comes out of nowhere. At the end of the last scenario Arinexis says, "The humansss are destroyed and their Elensefar burnsss! My people are avenged and my hatchplace isss free!" Implying her revenge is complete. The only hint that there's more is when she says the humans were hired by the elves.
    Perhaps alter that quote to say, "The humansss are destroyed, their Elensefar burnsss and my hatchplace isss free! Come with me, Shek'Kahan, and I shall show you the weaknesss of the foul pixiesss that we may have revenge on them asss well!"
    I dunno, something like that.
S8 This level was pretty tough, had to save-load a bit.
  • "We must retreat to the eyrie with due haste" > "all haste"
  • "We can not forsake it" > "We cannot"
  • "... a Cave" > "A cave..." whichever side the ellipses is on, don't capitalize cave. Is this a reference to him not liking caves or remembering that cave? Unclear
  • "out of That cave alive." > "that cave alive." Are we supposed to know anything about that cave? Maybe it comes up later, but in case you meant to put more here.
  • "I will repay you this" > "I will repay you for this." Actually, that line doesn't make sense. I assume it's supposed to foreshadow Reshan's sacrifice, but why would Gorlack deserve repayment? Sure, Gorlack is saving them, but he's also saving himself. You could change the line to "You got me out of that cave alive, now I'm going to get you out of this one."
  • "about That cave" > "about that cave"
  • "Land gliders" > It seems a little odd that Reshan would label inanimate ships "Sea gliders" and then see a living horse and call it a "Land glider" both as a reference to his own caste.
  • If you just abandon the gates as soon as you're done recruiting, the elves destroy all the gates before entering the cave en masse. This was brought up before and supposedly fixed, but still seems to be an issue. Maybe only have them go for the gates if any of the center three castle tiles are occupied or under ZOC? They seem to treat the gates as enemies rather than obstacles on the way to enemies, but that's probably just an AI limitation.
  • When I got Reshan to the final gate, I noticed that he would do 3x6 damage when standing on the path vs 3x10 standing on the snow. Is there a game rule I don't know about or is that a glitch? Gates apparently don't have impact resistance so 3x10 should be correct.
  • The lower-case = sadness thing doesn't work for me. I think ellipses and hyphens get the point across without looking accidental:
    R "Farewell, my friend"
    G "Reshan..."

G "My- my friend"
    G "I have killed you..."
    And I would probably say "failed" rather than "killed." Or maybe "Your ichor is on my hands"
S9
  • "glider, take care" > capitalization. If this is supposed to be sad Gorlack, try:
    G "Glider, wait!"
    glider "Sir?"
    G "..."
    G "Take care."
  • I don't think it makes sense for him to still be depressed when he's talking about the camp. That moment with the glider can represent him collecting himself so that he's all business when the lizard mentions needing to make camp.
More to come.
Attachments
WoV-Foothills replay.gz
(43.8 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
WoV-The Raid replay.gz
(29.46 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
WoV-The Contention replay.gz
(26.11 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
name

Post by name »

benkenobiwan wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:42 pm S2 was definitely harder. I lost several times and eventually had to do a near-suicide rush to kill the assassin leader within the first four turns to keep the number of enemy spawns down. In addition to save-loading critical fights. It seems like the enemies (especially blue) generate a ridiculous amount of income, but I might just be missing the strategy.
Enemy income is entirely a factor of the villages they control, with enemies getting 5 gold per village (vs your 2).
So if you can hold back blue at the bridge chokepoint and keep the assassin leader from taking too many southern villages, then you should be able to hold until Karron's Wing arrives. And then with the orcs fighting drakes on two fronts it should get a lot easier to thin them out and push into their territories.

I think the big question here is, were you expecting the enemy income to be independent of the villages they control?

If so, I will have to add a note to the scenario objectives about this. It may be that most mainline campaigns have gotten lazy and just applied a ton of static income boost to most enemy sides you encounter. So now we all expect that and do not even bother taking villages in campaigns anymore, unless the objectives screen tells us to.
benkenobiwan wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:42 pm S4 intro text typo: "shadows of craggy peeks" > "peaks"
Other intro text:
  • "Provisions were quartered" > Not sure if this is supposed to mean provisions were stored somewhere or if they reduced provisions to one-quarter of the usual. "Provisions were laid up" or "Provisions were halved" are more clear.
  • "wingwake mildly rippling behind" > softly or gently rippling? "mild" seems out of place.
  • "You are specifically banished from them" > Perhaps "banished from them forthwith/henceforth".
  • "The merfolk have deranged us for centuries" > deranged is an extremely rare verb so it almost seemed like a typo I like the drake's verbose speech, but I think this one will confuse people. The definition is to disturb operation/function. Have the merfolk been sabotaging some drake effort? Alternative words: despised, plagued, harassed, meddled in our affairs, or disrupted.
  • "We will prevail through them" > this means that merfolk will be the cause of Gorlack prevailing, rather than what he has to prevail against. "We shall drive on through them" or "We shall prevail against/despite/over them" are more clear.
Playthrough of the scenario was a blast!
Good points, I made all these changes. Except for "deranged"; I have to think about that one since this word has no other confusing meaning when used as a verb.
benkenobiwan wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:42 pm S5 loving the story so far
  • I don't know if it's supposed to be fixed yet, but Three Sisters still says you can recruit Saurians when you can't.
Glad to hear it. Yeah, all the changes so far are to be released soon on the wesnoth v1.15 server. We probably can not backport them to wesnoth 1.14 since there are so many new features exclusive to 1.15 we are using in the development version of WoV.
benkenobiwan wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:42 pm S6
  • What is the Proclaiming? The establishment of the eyrie or the messengers being dispatched back to Morogor?
  • Who is Verkon? Some off-screen character or was that supposed to be changed to Vladnir? "probing the domain of Verkon" "Verkon counseled me here"
  • "many times of underrated prey turning to become the hunter" > "many times of underestimated prey rising to become the hunter". "Rising" is just an idea, but I think "underestimated" is much more Gorlack's vocabulary than "underrated"
  • "I conjure you, remember your Fire". Conjure > Adjure, and I would either capitalize Fire or bold it, not both.
Oops, yeah that should be Vladnir, not Verkon.

I made your suggested changes, thanks!

The Proclaiming is drake legalese. He is saying to his own Flight that this is where they are settling down, and to other Flights he is saying this is where to find him from now on and that the surrounding lands are claimed as his hunting grounds. The glider messengers sent back to Morogor will inform the other Flights of this, as well as everything else that has happened (the discovery of the lands beyond Morogor and how to navigate to the Great Continent, etc.)
benkenobiwan wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:42 pm S7 Enjoyable level, good spin on killing everything since you get to set up your ambush before combat starts.
  • Arinexis' whispered line about the elves' underbelly really feels like it comes out of nowhere. At the end of the last scenario Arinexis says, "The humansss are destroyed and their Elensefar burnsss! My people are avenged and my hatchplace isss free!" Implying her revenge is complete. The only hint that there's more is when she says the humans were hired by the elves.
    Perhaps alter that quote to say, "The humansss are destroyed, their Elensefar burnsss and my hatchplace isss free! Come with me, Shek'Kahan, and I shall show you the weaknesss of the foul pixiesss that we may have revenge on them asss well!"
    I dunno, something like that.
Very good catch. I reworded and added to her closing victory statements along those lines.
benkenobiwan wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:42 pm S8 This level was pretty tough, had to save-load a bit.
  • "We must retreat to the eyrie with due haste" > "all haste"
  • "We can not forsake it" > "We cannot"
  • "... a Cave" > "A cave..." whichever side the ellipses is on, don't capitalize cave. Is this a reference to him not liking caves or remembering that cave? Unclear
  • "out of That cave alive." > "that cave alive." Are we supposed to know anything about that cave? Maybe it comes up later, but in case you meant to put more here.
  • "I will repay you this" > "I will repay you for this." Actually, that line doesn't make sense. I assume it's supposed to foreshadow Reshan's sacrifice, but why would Gorlack deserve repayment? Sure, Gorlack is saving them, but he's also saving himself. You could change the line to "You got me out of that cave alive, now I'm going to get you out of this one."
  • "about That cave" > "about that cave"
Made most of these changes.
Yeah there are a couple references to Gorlack rescuing Reshan from a cave back in earlier scenarios. But they might not have been memorable enough. It is elaborated on further in a future scenario.
benkenobiwan wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:42 pm
  • "Land gliders" > It seems a little odd that Reshan would label inanimate ships "Sea gliders" and then see a living horse and call it a "Land glider" both as a reference to his own caste.
Okay, I will change the ships reference to "sea skimmers" for now.
  • If you just abandon the gates as soon as you're done recruiting, the elves destroy all the gates before entering the cave en masse. This was brought up before and supposedly fixed, but still seems to be an issue. Maybe only have them go for the gates if any of the center three castle tiles are occupied or under ZOC? They seem to treat the gates as enemies rather than obstacles on the way to enemies, but that's probably just an AI limitation.
  • When I got Reshan to the final gate, I noticed that he would do 3x6 damage when standing on the path vs 3x10 standing on the snow. Is there a game rule I don't know about or is that a glitch? Gates apparently don't have impact resistance so 3x10 should be correct.
Yeah getting the AI to focus on the drakes has been a real challenge. I did find a fix but it crashes the 1.15 wesnoth engine. I need to find the time to file a bug report for it.
  • The lower-case = sadness thing doesn't work for me. I think ellipses and hyphens get the point across without looking accidental:
    R "Farewell, my friend"
    G "Reshan..."

G "My- my friend"
    G "I have killed you..."
    And I would probably say "failed" rather than "killed." Or maybe "Your ichor is on my hands"
It is a tough call.
I feel like nothing else besides the lowercase communicates this change of tone well enough. People associate all caps with shouting, so it seems intuitive that lowercase will be interpreted having the opposite effect.
benkenobiwan wrote: May 10th, 2021, 1:42 pm I don't think it makes sense for him to still be depressed when he's talking about the camp. That moment with the glider can represent him collecting himself so that he's all business when the lizard mentions needing to make camp.[/list]
Unsure about this one, since the glider delivers so much more bad news. This is probably around the lowest point if anything.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Yeah getting the AI to focus on the drakes has been a real challenge. I did find a fix but it crashes the 1.15 wesnoth engine. I need to find the time to file a bug report for it.
Just replace the gate units with impassable terrain?
Or, if you really want the elves to ignore the gates, but prioritize the drakes, I suggest you utilize goal tags to assign zero values to gates and a really highly value to drakes. Maybe even consider a micro AI. Also, I guess it's not relevant since this scenario might be reworked.