Winds of Fate

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Wings of Victory 1.0.6 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14/1.15)

Post by Konrad2 »

name wrote: January 20th, 2020, 5:50 am Wings of Freedom
Do you mean Wings of Victory or Flight to Freedom?
name

Post by name »

I meant Wings of Victory, sorry. I was typing too late for my brain to keep up with the fingers. Fixed.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Talking stock of things:

To clarify, I meant I see the drakes as "warlike & wise" as the crucial part, wasn't aware of all that kniz stuff until people mentioned it and don't see it as necessary.
Seems all the original fuss was over the use of the word 'breeders' along with the 'gifted' part. Which was easy to deal with.
I'm not interested in doing the more complex suggestions for the drake male/female dynamic.
I either want to handle it via having the drake females completely offscreen (as it is now) or re-adding references to females as part of a hunter-gather society depiction.

Aside from that, it seems there are areas for improvement in at least:
gameplay S01, S03?
objective variety S07, S08, S10
story improvements
character voicing (being able to tell who is speaking by the words they tend to use)

Does anyone have thoughts on these?
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
name

Post by name »

SigurdFireDragon wrote: January 25th, 2020, 1:34 am gameplay S01, S03?
I may need to replay these scenarios again, but I thought their game play was quite good.

I suppose S03 could benefit from using the experimental AI that recently became default within development builds. This makes for a tougher opponent without it looking like he has too much more gold (so as to fit the scenario story of an even fight to test competence).

S02 could have an extra objective of burning the orcish ship(s) so they have no means of escape. Even better if the orcs deploy their ships in battle as actual units. (In their rush to throw everything they can muster at the enemy, the orcs do not consider the repercussions of sending wooden vessels against a host of fire spitting creatures.) This makes the map's heavy use of water tiles part of the fight, just as it was designed to be for tRoW where the player deploys merman fighters against the opposing drake flying units, to contest the many coastal villages around this map.
SigurdFireDragon wrote: January 25th, 2020, 1:34 am objective variety S07, S08, S10
Perhaps these could have the objective of reaching a certain number of kills, so as to meet the food requirements of the player's many large, flying, obligate carnivores. Each kill would also give the player extra gold, representing its contribution to their food supply situation.

S07 could have farms with livestock and peasants to eat, surrounding Elensefar. Perhaps once a drake unit comes within visual range of any of the humans' sight range, an alarm is raised and a Micro AI gets applied to the peasants and livestock so that they flee into the walls of Elensefar for protection. The player can try to chase them down or cut off their escape for an immediate resource boost. Or ignore them and focus on defeating Elensfar's military response before sacking the city and all the creatures taking refuge within its walls.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Note that the recent posts here regarding the topic of:

Single Player campaign overhaul discussion

has been split to: https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51821

by request so as to keep the discussion here focused on development & feedback for WoV.
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Hi,
Just to let you know, I copied some of your units and files (images+sounds) into my mod.
Thanks.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Wings of Valor 2.0.0 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

The new WoV,
Wings of Valor 2.0.0,
by SigurdFireDragon & name
is now available on the add-on server for BfW 1.14

The old version, Wings of Victory 1.0.7, is no longer supported.

Changes:
Brand new story and dialog for all scenarios by name
Gameplay improvements in all scenarios except one, many concepts by name.
Improved maps for The Hunt and Foothills
New maps for The Contention and Wesmere
New meats added to the menu :D
Spoiler:
This new version is intended to eventually be submitted as a PR to be added to mainline.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Wings of Valor 2.0.0 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Post by Konrad2 »

FTR, it's a bit awkward that both campaigns have the same acronym.

S2
escape by it -> it.
Viragar and his ship still exists -> exist
Hejnewar

Re: Wings of Valor 2.0.0 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Post by Hejnewar »

I played on Difficult difficulty.
Scenario 1:
I hoped for some hidden events. Maybe I just didn't get them. Ants currently they just grow into unstoppable cloud of blue.
Scenario 2:
Really the only scenario where I needed to try a little bit so I guess its bit too hard in comparison with other scenarios (I steamrolled everything else).
Scenario 3:
Standard 1 v 1 vs Ai. It lacks drake cheers. This scenario makes drake society look like mainly composed of high lvl drakes.
Scenario 4:
Nagas could use also dunefolk naga for recruitment.
Scenario 5:
Scorpions were destroyed just by gliders, scorpion leader died on turn 2.
Scenario 6:
----------------------------------
Scenario 7:
Interesting one - soooo much cheese. I bet some people will try to OTK everything in this scenario. :D
Scenario 8:
I don't know how many Elves Sylphs elves have but I'm quiet sure that I killed all of them.
Scenario 9:
Looks unfinished.
Scenario 10:
Thumbs up for drunk dwarf. I hate how hard its to deploy troops in this scenario.
Scenario 11:
----------------------------------

Raiting:
Story - much better than before.
Gameplay - Better. Because of very diverse maps the same win condition doesn't feel exactly the same but could use some more diversity somewhere in scenarios 3-6 I was getting bored of just killing everything every time. S7 came in the right time.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Wings of Valor 2.0.1 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Version 2.0.1 is up

Fixes
S01: Slow & cap ant spawning
S02: Typo fixes
S03: Improve audience appearance with less high-level drakes.

Thanks for the feedback, Konrad2 & Hejnewar.
Will deal with some of the other issues later on.

Thanks for the heads-up, vghetto.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: Wings of Valor 2.0.1 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Post by Konrad2 »

S2
I'm not sure if this is specifically a problem with the allied AI in S2, or if this is something about the wesnoth AI in general, but my ally is completly focused on taking villages, no matter what. They barely even fight.

EDIT:
S3
If you defeat the enemy leader, you are awarded 'dragon claws'. A sideeffect is that now your leader has no real attack animation for melee.

EDIT 2:
Elensefar
According to the notes in the scenario objectives, Karron and his flight will appear northeast of the city. But they actually appear northwest.
Attachments
WoV-The Raid replay.gz
(37.12 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

Konrad2 wrote: May 24th, 2020, 8:30 pm S2
I'm not sure if this is specifically a problem with the allied AI in S2, or if this is something about the wesnoth AI in general, but my ally is completly focused on taking village, no matter what. They barely even fight.
That's perfectly normal for ai. Hmm, after watching your replay I think I just was unlucky.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Heart Mountains

Code: Select all

<Invalid WML found> [micro_ai] tag (wolves) is missing required parameter: [filter_second]
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Wings of Valor 2.0.2 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Version 2.0.2 is up

Fixes
S03: Dragon claws no longer nullify meele animation
S03: Improve dragon claws description
S06: Fix incorrect direction reference in objectives
S09: Fix [micro_ai] missing required parameter: [filter_second] error

Thanks for the feedback, Konrad2.
Will attempt to deal with the ai village grabbing issue at some point. It's the wesnoth ai in general, better specific settings in S02 might solve it.
name

Re: Wings of Valor 2.0.2(Drake Campaign for BfW 1.14)

Post by name »

SigurdFireDragon wrote: May 26th, 2020, 12:53 am Will attempt to deal with the ai village grabbing issue at some point. It's the wesnoth ai in general, better specific settings in S02 might solve it.
Konrad2 wrote: May 24th, 2020, 8:30 pm S2
I'm not sure if this is specifically a problem with the allied AI in S2, or if this is something about the wesnoth AI in general, but my ally is completly focused on taking villages, no matter what. They barely even fight.
After reviewing the replay and then the scenario file, it looks like the issue is that Karron's side has only 75 gold rather than the full 150 to match the player's. That is the primary reason why he did not much more than grab villages and then die over the lagoon.

I tested with 150 Karron gold and it works quite well. Though I need to up the orc gold a bit to compensate and test again.

Hejnewar wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 4:09 pm I played on Difficult difficulty.
[...]
Scenario 2:
Really the only scenario where I needed to try a little bit so I guess its bit too hard in comparison with other scenarios (I steamrolled everything else).
Did you find your play through of the campaign in general to be in line with the "Difficult" difficulty of other intermediate and expert level mainline campaigns?
Hejnewar wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 4:09 pm Scenario 1:
I hoped for some hidden events. Maybe I just didn't get them.
You mean like locational events when you reach iconic looking areas of the map?
Hejnewar wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 4:09 pm Scenario 5:
Scorpions were destroyed just by gliders, scorpion leader died on turn 2.
We maybe could remove the starting camp so that you have to take the scorpion keep with as few as a couple of gliders plus Gorlack and Reshan. That would make for a more challenging opening. Alternatively, the Scorpions could be replaced with Water Serpents that do not have an extreme fire vulnerability and perform well on the nearby terrains.
Hejnewar wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 4:09 pm Scenario 8:
I don't know how many Elves Sylphs elves have but I'm quiet sure that I killed all of them.
Your massacre of them is the canonical reason so few appear in later campaigns. ^_^
Hejnewar wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 4:09 pm Scenario 9:
Looks unfinished.
Do you suspect it is more the map or the scenario design that feels incomplete?
Hejnewar wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 4:09 pm Scenario 10:
Thumbs up for drunk dwarf. I hate how hard its to deploy troops in this scenario.
One possible fix is to remove the snow from the mountain around Gorlack's eyrie. That would make initial defensive deployment less cumbersome. The challenge of deploying past the surrounding frozen terrain immediately beyond that would remain though.
Hejnewar wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 4:09 pm could use some more diversity somewhere in scenarios 3-6 I was getting bored of just killing everything every time. S7 came in the right time.
That is good to know. Some concepts come to mind for adding more gameplay flair to the scenarios in that range. I might have to do some experiments with these.