Winds of Fate

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Winds of Fate 3.0.1 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.15.13 and up)

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Unfortunately the [object] approach will not solve the spawn-spill issue, since as we see with the Dark Forecast scenario, the spawner will dump units onto impassable terrain whenever it "has" to (which is the likely cause of the bug Hejnewar discovered since he was dealing with a high spawn rate)
Oh, that? I thought fixed that Dark Forecast bug? oh well...when placing units, do add:

Code: Select all

[unit]
placement=map
passable=yes
[/unit]
it will solve the volcano spitting out units thing.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

name wrote: June 10th, 2021, 4:26 pm
Celtic_Minstrel wrote: June 10th, 2021, 1:51 pm Isn't "de-capturing" a village just a special case of a village capture event? So, maybe it also fires that event?
It should be it seems like, but the wiki says: "Villages becoming neutral (via [capture_village]) do not fire capture events."
https://wiki.wesnoth.org/EventWML#capture
Maybe? It says becoming neutral via [capture_village] doesn't fire it, but does that also apply if it becomes neutral by other means?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Instead of guessing what it does, please write a unit test. That way not only will we know what it does now, no-one will break it later.
name

Post by name »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: June 10th, 2021, 11:46 pm Maybe? It says becoming neutral via [capture_village] doesn't fire it, but does that also apply if it becomes neutral by other means?
octalot wrote: June 11th, 2021, 8:42 am Instead of guessing what it does, please write a unit test. That way not only will we know what it does now, no-one will break it later.
I tested it, and it turns out I had misunderstood the wiki's meaning. There is indeed a capture event fired from a "village becoming neutral".
It seems to be only [capture_village} that (per the wiki) by default does not fire capture events under any circumstances (it fires no event when changing sides or when making a village neutral).

Based on this, I would recommend rewording https://wiki.wesnoth.org/EventWML#capture to say:

Triggers when the primary unit captures a village. The village may have been previously neutral or previously owned by another side, but merely moving into your own villages does not constitute a capture. This event will be fired before the moveto event. Villages captured via [capture_village] do not fire capture events by default. The variable $owner_side contains the previous owner side of the village. 0 means neutral.
name

Post by name »

Mirion147 wrote: May 30th, 2021, 6:23 am Also, the contention, have you considered putting just this scenario on the mp server? Just for funsies? Same objectives, only drakes, the only difference being that the loyal tag be given to the highest ranking caste member during the scenario instead of after.
I have not had the time to, but feel free to make the conversion if you want. No idea how it will play with two humans; possibly new strategies will emerge.

I do have a simple multiplayer conversion of an early draft of the contention scenario I did a year ago. The layout is a bit wild, being designed with the idea of balancing a drake-v-drake scenario without limiting recruiting options, so that a player could try to spam clashers if they wanted and they would still lose due to the way the map terrain exploits the clasher movement/defense penalties (in theory). Never really got it 100% though and the AI struggled playing it. There is also some "visual storytelling" in the parts of the map around the volcano arena, like drake aquaculture pens to compensate for their loss of hunting grounds above the water. Might have worked better as the beginning of an adventure/rpg scenario.

Just unzip and drop it into your addons folder if you want to take a look :
The_Contention.zip
(3.16 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

We might do the same multiplayer conversion for the current contention scenario in the future...
Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 8:19 pm Also, what of the elven pursuers? did they get dragged into this as well?
Some of them likely would. Exactly what happens to them would be lore significant, because this realm is beyond the present reach of the Fae. Being cut off from it might prove fatal for many of these elves. Those that survived would revert to being human or a human-like form; their enhanced senses and "instinctive" use of magic suddenly gone from them. A profound feeling of powerlessness and confusion would overwhelm them for a time.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 8:19 pm There should not be a cliffhanger element as then you would have hundreds of players playing it and asking "WoF sequel when?"
Perhaps; temporary cliffhangers are not necessarily a bad thing. The anticipation for new chapters of an over-arching story line spanning multiple mainline campaigns could boost interest in Wesnoth's project and community.

And anticipation is also an indicator that you are on the right track, since no one anticipates the continuation of an uninteresting story.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 8:19 pm Explains it a lot. Maybe the lore book should be added in. Otherwise, there would be another asking "why did the Silver Mage spawn there?"
Added. (It made it into the 3.0.1 release).
Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 8:19 pm I wish "Lich-Lord" was gender specific, like "Lich-Lady" or "Lich-Mistress", otherwise I would not have mistaken the Sowan for a male lich lord. This is very interesting lore indeed.
I have been mulling this over, and am feeling the ambiguity of "Lich-Lord" allows later storytelling to deliver powerful twists. For example:

From what you have seen of Lich-Lord Jevyan from tRoW, would it not be a twist to discover that 5,000 years ago, a young flesh-and-blood Jevyan was a selfless warrior for his people, who despised necromancy, but in the end accepted its use on himself so as to wield it as a weapon against a dangerous enemy he could not defeat in his natural lifespan with his natural abilities? (In other words, echoing DiD.)

Such is an interesting storytelling facet of liches. Their original identity and personality is hidden beneath a ruined appearance and the powerful corrupting effects of unlife on the soul (which only the elder lich-lords have learned to overcome, with the wisdom and composure developed over tens of thousands of years).
Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 8:19 pm Also, can you mention the Elders of the Arkhai get known to be Fire Wraiths? (new unit added in).
Interesting, I will have to add something about them then.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 8:19 pm However, 40% def vs thunderguards and ulfs are going to be a bloodbath anyway.
In addition to Level 2 recruitable veterans in S10 (and S11), I reduced the dwarf per-wave-gold from 300 to 250. After some play testing, I found S10 to be a lot easier with these changes.
Lord-Knightmare wrote: June 2nd, 2021, 8:19 pm However, I shall state it now. Winds of Fate has proven to be a level where it can should be added now. There is a fresh intake of deeper lore and scenario variety has changed a lot since WoV 2.0.5. I do hope WoF gets in. (and DM gets axed off like it deserves).
One scenario is questionable (S7), but I have seen worst scenarios in mainline (all of DM, LoW, EI,NR, SotA spider den), and compared to those, it is a lot better. Great work on the improvements.
Thanks!

(For what it is worth, this latest version has a few more minor tweaks to S7's characters and dialogue, which hopefully helps better show that the elves were not entirely innocent in all of this.)
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Winds of Fate 3.0.2 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.15.13 and up)

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Winds of Fate 3.0.2 is now available on the Wesnoth 1.15.x add-on server!

Changes:
New unit sprite for jaguar, rename jaguar to leopard
S04: Make the terms of alliance clearer in the scenario notes
Note docking in caravel description
S04: Remove contradictory key about bonus gold
S09: Prevent monsters from spawning on villages
S08: Prevent elves & woses from spawning on the tree by the Lich-Lord
Reduce stymphalian level 2->1
S04: Voice objective as drake
S01: Up required harvest to 15->20
S02: Make ai ally more predictable
S03: Increase opponent dynamics
S05: Sparser but tougher wildlife
S07: More gold for enemies
S09: Sparser but tougher wildlife
S10: Reduce enemy wave gold
09: Note winter time schedule
Reduce Stymphalian cost 40->22
S05: Stop prey taking drake villages
S09, S11: Balance maps
Make saurians a more viable option along side clashers for S11 by adding swamp. Make S09 a bit more tactical with more but narrower paths of travel.
Minor largely cosmetic changes to S10 map
Rename karakoa to outrigger
Improve Dolphin color & contrast
Remove cross icon from sprite image
Rename sides to drake perspective
Minor spelling & grammer fixes
Code cleanups
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Winds of Fate 3.0.2 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.15.13 and up)

May I see the changelog for 3.0.3? Was going to give it another go since I saw a lot of changes made in the PR.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Winds of Fate 3.0.3 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.15.14 and up)

Winds of Fate 3.0.3 is now available on the Wesnoth 1.16.x add-on server for BfW 1.15.14 and up!

S08: Rename lich
Text changes to make wesmere subplot more clear
Replace all-lower-case style
Clearer drake sayings and beliefs
S09: Stop gryphon spawn camping
Change fae to faerie in text
S11: Clarify story resolution
M09, M11: More cosmetic forest - To blend in the central fissure/mountain complex better with the surrounding swamplands
Improve Sapphire of Ice graphics
S03: Make dragon claws same damage for all difficulty levels
Some minor fixes & cleanup
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
IceTyp

Re: Winds of Fate 3.0.3 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.15.14 and up)

Post by IceTyp »

I think I found a bug in Scenario 3. Starting at turn 1, the opposing drakes (side 2) are attacking the drakes at the sides (side 3), see replay. Is this intended?

I am playing WoF 3.0.3 on BfW 1.15.14. Since I have experienced the same behaviour on WoF 3.0.2 (and BfW 1.15.14), I assume that 1.15.14 causes this.
Attachments
WoF-The Contention replay 20210627-115315.gz
(26.36 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Winds of Fate 3.0.4 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.15.14 and up)

Winds of Fate 3.0.4 is now available on the Wesnoth 1.16.x add-on server for BfW 1.15.14 and up!

Changes:
S03: Fix bug that crept in where ai attacks spectators
IceTyp wrote: June 27th, 2021, 11:41 am I assume that 1.15.14 causes this.
Nope, it was WoF

@IceTyp Thanks for the bug report
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Winds of Fate 3.0.5 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.15.14 and up)

Winds of Fate 3.0.5 is now available on the Wesnoth 1.16.x add-on server for BfW 1.15.14 and up!

Changes:
Replace crocodile unit type with swamp lizard
Due to this unit type change, mid-scenario saves made in a previous version for S01, 05, 06, 09, & 11 will break, as will any save game (mid or start of scenario) for 06 and after if you have the crocodile on your recall list.
If this affects your playthough, it's recommend to use the version select feature on the add-on server to roll-back to WoF v3.0.4 in order to finish the campaign.

Switch dolphin race to monster
Clean up gate unit
These two changes might affect mid-scenario saves in S01, 07, & 08.

Improve attack animations for Caravel, Outrigger, & Stymphalian
name

Winds of Fate 3.0.6 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.15/1.16)

Post by name »

Winds of Fate 3.0.6 is now available on the Wesnoth 1.16.x add-on server for BfW 1.15.14 and up!

Changes:

Up names of difficulty settings to match current mainline standard (Easy is now Normal, Challenging is now Difficult, and Difficult is now Knightmare)
Add a new forth difficulty (Challenging) that is the new default
S01: Reduce wildlife spawn rate for easy difficulty and make cuttlefish spawn rate dependent on difficulty settings as well
S02: Reduce player and enemy gold on hardest difficulty and slightly reduce drake-facing-enemies' gold on all difficulties
S02: Reduce enemy village_gold on easier difficulties but increase it on hardest.
S03: Make hardest difficulty less spam and more challenge. Make medium difficulty harder with a bit more enemy village_gold
S04: Reduce drake gold and mermish income and slightly boost serpent income
S05: Vary power of static loyalist forces by difficulty, boost their naval force for all difficulties, and halve big wildlife spawn rate on hardest difficulty
S06: Make hardest difficulty harder with less spam and vary enemy village_gold by difficulty
S07: Vary enemy village_gold with difficulty
S08: Halve player gold and faerie spawn rates on hardest and vary enemy village_gold by difficulty. Also fix a bug to make faerie spawns consistent
S09: Break "prey" side into separate sides opposed to each other as well as the player. Reduce both player gold and enemy spawn rate on highest difficulty
S09: More swamp for saurians
S10: Vary wave size, not frequency, with difficulty. Hardest difficulty has less gold for player and enemy
S10: Reduce player village_gold and add village
S11: Make the less honorable way harder than it was and make the more honorable way faster and more eventful than it was
S11: Reduce player village_gold and add village
Remove all remaining gold carryover
Replace Gorlack's intelligent trait with the strong trait (he still has the quick trait)
Increase damage of dragon claws upgrade from 3 to 4
Make reef a navigational hazard to boats
Various capitalization and spelling fixes
Cleanup lingering TURNS macro and carryover_add
vghetto

Re: Winds of Fate 3.0.6 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.15/1.16)

Post by vghetto »

name wrote: October 24th, 2021, 2:20 am Difficult is now Knightmare)
:lol: Don't worry, it's correct in the addon.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Re: Winds of Fate 3.0.6 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.15.14 and up)

and Difficult is now Knightmare)
Gotta give this setting a try. Named after me...yeah, cannot miss this.
name

Re: Winds of Fate 3.0.6 (Drake Campaign for BfW 1.15.14 and up)

Post by name »

I guess the next version will have to add the Hejnewar difficulty. :hmm: