The Three Sisters Saga (SP campaign for 1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Argesilao

Re: The Three Sisters Saga (SP campaign for 1.14)

Post by Argesilao »

Konrad2 wrote: October 18th, 2018, 8:53 am I'd like to raise the same issue, but on 'hard'. My team has combined about 550 gold, while the undead have 1100 gold combined and the orgres and trolls have 600 gold combined.
I underestimated the combined effect of the increase in the gold of the enemy, the decrease in the gold of the heroes and the lower revenue from the previous scenario. :doh:

Now I fixed at 150 the starting gold, for all the heroes' sides for all the difficulty level, that means plus 225 gold pieces for the good guys; I reduced drastically the income of all the enemies' sides (about minus 40%) ; I reduce of 100 gold pieces the starting gold of both trolls and ogres.

It's always hard, but it's an hard level :mrgreen:

I don't see the nagas side in the last scenario, Did you kill the queen in the swamp scenery? Otherwise there is a bugs somewhere! :hmm:

Thank for the feedback!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

It is certainly beatable now. Thanks.
Attachments
TTSS-The Red Shores of Boresild replay.gz
(103.34 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
Lunyicon

Post by Lunyicon »

there is a flaw in the story. the time is set to be 50 years after Liberty, but liberty happens in 501 YW, which is also the year when ashiviere's reign begin. however HttT happens in 518 YW, which is only 17 years later. If tTSS happens in 551 YW, that will be 33 years after ahiviere's death, or 33 years after Li'sar's reign. 33 years is enough for the rumor to spread to the islands, so by then the islands shoud be under wesnith control again, they should not have as much autonomy as in your campaign.

another thing is after 33 years harper should only be around 50, while baldras is around 80. Unless you want both of them die at a young age, they should appear in the campaign.

so my suggestion is, move the campaign a little bit forward in time, like 521 YW, and add harper into the campaign.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Just going to raise some counterpoints.
Lunyicon wrote: 33 years is enough for the rumor to spread to the islands, so by then the islands shoud be under wesnith control again, they should not have as much autonomy as in your campaign.
The island were not under wesnoth control before being settled by those fugitive humans. There is a wesnothian garrison placed on it (also after the fugitives settled there), but as the characters do point out, it's more of a nominally thing, without exerting real influence. Wesnoth doesn't really care about the Three Sisters. Which explains the autonomy.
Lunyicon wrote: another thing is after 33 years harper should only be around 50, while baldras is around 80. Unless you want both of them die at a young age, they should appear in the campaign.
I'd like to remind you that this is Wesnoth (on Irdya), not USA (Earth). The life expectancy of humans is very likely to be waaaaay lower than here. 40-50 is probably already very old for most people. Like, Grandparent-close-to-dying old.
Argesilao

Post by Argesilao »

Lunyicon wrote: December 15th, 2018, 9:07 pm another thing is after 33 years harper should only be around 50, while baldras is around 80. Unless you want both of them die at a young age, they should appear in the campaign.
TTSS it's located 50 years after Liberty; so, if Harper is around 20 years old during Liberty he must be around 70 years old during TTSS, and Baldras must have around 100 years; in addition, Harper may have been killed in the last scenario of Liberty :eng:
Lunyicon wrote: December 15th, 2018, 9:07 pm so my suggestion is, move the campaign a little bit forward in time, like 521 YW, and add harper into the campaign.
Uhm, despite all, maybe a good Idea to introduce Harper in the campaign, I could use the Baldras portrait; I will think seriously about this thing :hmm:
denispir

Post by denispir »

All right, played it all through yesterday and enjoyed it very much. The storytelling, atmosphere, and characters were pretty good, this seems your mark! and is very important for most players I guess (but underrated because rare?). Actually this may keep one playing in parts where the rest (gameplay) is a bit poorer, the challenge exagerated or tactics hard to find... Your english seems to improve, Argesilao ;) ! (I'm no english speaker myself, and still guess romance language through your words, especially expressions, but haven't noted them, too lazy).

I took the route or rather the boat to go and destroy the orcish fleet, and the final battle was not too hard. I ever I replay, I will stay on the islands.

By the way I also played the magicians, nearly as good (but I never used even once the special abilities : maybe this does not fit Wesnoth?). I noted in both campaigns that characters feel interesting because they have, well, characters ;) (temperament). But one could name their character traits, as if you had designed them from abstract ideas such as boldness, pride, (false) stupidity, (initial) shynes, etc... As if they were each a "set of abstractions" rather than, say, people ! See what I mean? This makes characters basically "normal" (norms of fiction or reality) or caricatural at times. I have no remedy (and am a bad writer), but I know (from others) 2 possible alternatives :
  • Let things (characters, atmosphere, story...) develop by themselves in your imaginary. This is not always incompatible with having ideas, that popped before or ofter imagination, about how things could or should be, if you do it well.
  • Combine traits (ideas) in ways apparently weird. Eg I would say your heroin is both bold and shy: this is only an apparent contradiction, works fine, and "deepens" her character.
Thank you again for all!
Argesilao

Post by Argesilao »

denispir wrote: December 31st, 2018, 2:35 pm Actually this may keep one playing in parts where the rest (gameplay) is a bit poorer, the challenge exagerated or tactics hard to find
Well, I like to stimulate intellectually the players 8) but not too much; at what level of difficulty did you play? What scenarios do you think are too difficult?
denispir wrote: December 31st, 2018, 2:35 pm ... Your english seems to improve, Argesilao
Thanks to Constantine, that has reviewed the stories and the dialogues :)
denispir wrote: December 31st, 2018, 2:35 pm By the way I also played the magicians, nearly as good (but I never used even once the special abilities : maybe this does not fit Wesnoth?). I noted in both campaigns that characters feel interesting because they have, well, characters ;) (temperament). But one could name their character traits, as if you had designed them from abstract ideas such as boldness, pride, (false) stupidity, (initial) shynes, etc... As if they were each a "set of abstractions" rather than, say, people ! See what I mean? This makes characters basically "normal" (norms of fiction or reality) or caricatural at times.
I think to understand what you mean; basically It's intentional to characterize a character (ops) with only one or two particular temperament, because it's the easiest way to define the character quickly and because this characterization make easy to create comic situations and dialogues; I prefer to do campaigns in which the background story has a light tone, some more, some less, where simply characters are more functional.
Finally, the quality of my english (see above) doesn't allow me to elaborate more on my characters. :augh:

Thank you for your comments :)
denispir

Post by denispir »

Argesilao wrote: December 31st, 2018, 5:29 pm
denispir wrote: December 31st, 2018, 2:35 pm Actually this may keep one playing in parts where the rest (gameplay) is a bit poorer, the challenge exagerated or tactics hard to find
Well, I like to stimulate intellectually the players 8) but not too much; at what level of difficulty did you play? What scenarios do you think are too difficult?
I did not mean that some parts were worse or too hard in this campaign (absolutely or relative to others). Rather that good story, atmosphere, characters, encourage players to go on playing, in general. Sorry for the confusion.

About characters : all right, then !
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

The Three Sisters Saga now is available for BfW 1.16.

(Damn! It is easier to find a girlfriend than a campaign's maintainer :annoyed: )

Have fun! :)
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

haha true so why not both in one!
thank you very much
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

I'm checking through add-ons that use the [advancefrom] tag, because it's broken (#6204). Sorry that two of your add-ons got hit by the same bug.

In this one, it's going to affect the Giant Ogre (unit id "Great Ogre"). The working replacement is the [modify_unit_type] tag, which goes inside the [campaign] tag (Dead Water's _main.cfg provides an example for the Kraken):

Code: Select all

[modify_unit_type]
        type="Ogre"
        add_advancement="Great Ogre"
        set_experience=76
    [/modify_unit_type]
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

octalot wrote: January 3rd, 2022, 1:57 pm I'm checking through add-ons that use the [advancefrom] tag, because it's broken (#6204). Sorry that two of your add-ons got hit by the same bug.

In this one, it's going to affect the Giant Ogre (unit id "Great Ogre"). The working replacement is the [modify_unit_type] tag, which goes inside the [campaign] tag (Dead Water's _main.cfg provides an example for the Kraken):

Code: Select all

[modify_unit_type]
        type="Ogre"
        add_advancement="Great Ogre"
        set_experience=76
    [/modify_unit_type]
thanks for the warning; fixed and updated. :)
rmj

Post by rmj »

Greenbay siege, on easy
opening error: [unstore_unit] missing required 'variable' attribute.
Vanira cannot summon her bats.

I started with more than 600 gold. I won in nine turns without recruiting or recalling any units. More than simple.
rmj
Argesilao2

Post by Argesilao2 »

rmj wrote: February 24th, 2022, 5:25 pm Greenbay siege, on easy
opening error: [unstore_unit] missing required 'variable' attribute.
fixed
rmj wrote: February 24th, 2022, 5:25 pm Vanira cannot summon her bats.
Vaniria's Hell Bats are not recalled in the usual way; to recall them you must use the menù item.
If you've tried that before, is it possible that the three bats have already been killed? :hmm:
rmj wrote: February 24th, 2022, 5:25 pm I started with more than 600 gold. I won in nine turns without recruiting or recalling any units. More than simple.
That's probably your fault, you won the previous scenario too quickly. :lol: