Tactics Puzzles (for 1.12/1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: Tactics Puzzles (for 1.12/1.14)

Post by Inky »

Thanks a bunch for the nice comments!! :D
Thanks for pointing that out! I had thought that the troll leader would regenerate if you attacked him on turn 1, but apparently regenerate doesn't work on turn 1, might be a bug. Anyway I think I've found a way around it by changing the Goblin Impaler into a Goblin Rouser so no more cowardly ranged attacks :twisted:
GoldnerPhoenix

Post by GoldnerPhoenix »

Oh! That sounds interesting because in my solution with evolving the rider I need the first strike like in the other solution, but if that is not needed (I am sure the other goblin has no first strike) you should have a third solution I not see yet!
(I really love multiple solutions now and I will try to find the other one for the teleport level discuss in this forum too. I am so excited)

After thinking about multiple solutions (and read you will replace a unit) I got a maybe good idea:
Did you know Lemmings? I really like the way Levels in this Game change only by replace some of the abilities for those little pot heads even if the Map is the same! I do not know how this would be in 'Tactics Puzzles', but it is better to share a idea and it is miserable than not to say it and it would be genius.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Up to 1.14 healing didn't happen in turn 1, that was changed in 1.15 #3562. I'm not sure but that might be why regenerates didn't happen in turn 1.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Hello Inky.
I updated the Japanese translation file. I will attach a new file.
By the way, it will be necessary to point out that the troll is a type of potato. In Japan, it is called troll-imo (imo = potato), and in general it can be eaten in the form of jelly. :eng:
ja.zip
(18.36 KiB) Downloaded 394 times
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Wow, thanks a bunch IIIO Metal!! I've updated the translation. :D

Trolls are potatoes, huh? That solves the mystery then - trolls grow out of the ground! :eng:
sergey

Post by sergey »

Hi Inky, very nice puzzles :) I noticed that in the Troll Bridge puzzle the Troll Whelp may advance either to Troll or Troll Rocklobber. I am not sure if the former is beatable. In any case it is tougher. You could use advances_to=Troll Rocklobber to restrict the advancement option.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hey,
These are great :D Kind of reminds me of the puzzles in Gwent Thronebreaker (or the other way around, since this was first. Never mind :) ) I'm not through all of them yet, I'll keep posting if I find something noteworthy. Keep up the great job :)
I have only one tiny suggestion - I didn't look at the code and I don't know how you do the 100% chance to hit, however, it could be a lot more visual if you did it with an invisible [chance_to_hit] special applied to all appearing units that sets it always to 100%. Currently in the attack window it is the regular cth, the special would already show 100% there.
Yes it's mentioned several times, and is very, very hard to miss, still a visual confirmation would be cool :)
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
StellarStar

Post by StellarStar »

Nice challenge, completed all except the "A skirmish with the undead". I cant even visualize how to start
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

How many hexsides can you attack the enemy leader from? Which of your units can possibly reach those hexes (even assuming that one or two enemy units have been killed)? How many points of damage can those units inflict on the enemy leader?

There is more than one solution.

(Also, there are hints in the context menu - for one of the solutions only - and a walkthrough in the addon directory.)
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

That was a lot of fun, although I ended up reading this thread before working out Skirmish With Death and Troll Bridge.

On Troll Bridge, although the trolls don't recruit, the status table says that they have 100 gold; I was expecting every unoccupied castle hex would have a whelp appear on it.
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

Hard campaning but nice. Only problem with "Grofloff revenge". Normally I liked him but i need to kill him here.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: Tactics Puzzles (for 1.12)

Post by octalot »

Inky wrote: March 5th, 2018, 4:22 am Wow, a third solution, and one that keeps everyone alive too, that's great! 8) You all are awesome tacticians!

I think I'll let it have multiple solutions, what do others think (I know forestdragon wanted puzzles to have multiple solutions)? I think multiple solutions are okay as long as it's not some super cheap tactic that defeats the purpose of the puzzle. Would people prefer if there was only one solution?
It would be great if there was a bonus objective "all your units survive", and 00_menu showed whether you'd managed the better solution.
Inky wrote: March 5th, 2018, 4:22 am By the way, suggestions or ideas for new puzzles is always welcome!
new idea, 'chokepoint recruit':
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

That is not useful, most scenarios do not tell you how much current gold your enemy has.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

Whether you can see enemy gold depends on the fog settings (gui/dialogs/game_stats.cpp#L138). It's shown often enough in campaigns that I habitually check it at the start of each scenario, and assume it's part of the information that the player should use to decide how to play the scenario.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Hi!
I've just finished 4 first puzzles without using tips, it took more than an hour for me and feel absolutely exhausted now. Cant go more for now seeing how Skirmish With Death looks.
The third one (with Mage of Light) was easiest for me though I found it the most beautiful.
Somehow I got stuck missing obvious things. The first one obviously is quite easy but I spent 20 minutes thinking how to kill 2 mages at the same time without losing a shadow and found that it is indeed impossible. I was totally mislead by myself. Phhh )))
And of course I totally forgot that Flameheart has a leadership ability. A second one needs some time to catch the idea, but even with that the implementation is not obvious at all.

Great work, Inky! It force people to think. I myself all the time wrote that Wesnoth scenarios should be like chess etudes and you came as close as possible to this!
And, btw, this shows that deterministic Wesnoth is better Wesnoth.

P.S.
I finished the puzzle number 5 after an hour of thinking. All alive, 2 was not even attacking, swordsman was even of no use. I found it strange and when I read in this thread how it supposed to be passed, I had my jaw dropped :augh:

Number 6 story I found funny (so actual for wesnoth however somewhat exaggarated), the idea is clear, but I have no desire to try variations, it is just boring.

Number 7 - I admit, I passed it only after I've read a vague hint. I discarded that option totally by default, coudnt even imagine that such things may bring fruits.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains