Wrath of the Lich Lords (1.14)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sur_191

Wrath of the Lich Lords (1.14)

Post by Sur_191 »

For centuries the Lich Lords of the Old Continent were ignoring their southern neighbors, but now they decided to launch a full-scale invasion on Dunefolk territory. Can you save Dunefolk from unrelenting doom?
battle.png
IMPORTANT: The campaign is unfinished. Currently, ten scenarios are ready (including one dialog-only) out of seventeen planned.

Features:
  • You start with Dunefolk's units, but in later scenarios you will be able to recruit drakes, orcs and nagas (scenarios with orcs and nagas haven't been added yet).
  • Simple AMLA system for heroes inspired by AMLA system in "A New Order".
    amla.png
Changelog
  • Version 0.1
    • Added first four scenarios
    • Version 0.1.1
      • Bugfixes
  • Version 0.2
    • Added two more scenarios
    • Minor changes in other scenarios
    • Added different music playlists for every scenario
    • Changed heroes' AMLAs balance
  • Version 0.3
    • Added new senario: The Valley of Gryphons
    • Added few missing textdomains
  • Version 0.4
    • Added new senario: Old Promise
  • Version 0.5
    • Added new senario: The Siege of Munkaram
    • Added two new variations for Walking Dead and Soulless: Dunefolk and Dunefolk Mounted. At the moment they use identical sprites as regular and mounted zombies
    • If player lose a loyal unit to an enemy unit with a plague special, or to any unit during a scenario where all killed units are raised, he or she will face an unpleasant surprise
    • Version 0.5.1
      • Fixed game-breaking bug
  • Version 0.6
    • Added new senario: Obscurity
    • Rewritten the following macros, to take unit filter as the argument instead of unit id:
      • FACING
      • FACE_TO_FACE
      • FACE_TO
      • FREEZE
      • THAW
      • THAW_OLD
    • Added the following macros:
      • FACE_TO_LOCATION
      • MIDDAY_FANCY
      • MIDNIGHT_FANCY
      • NO_UPKEEP_NO_OVERLAY
      • SPOOKY_VOICE
    • Added new ability:
      • Distrusted - Adjacent own Dunefolk units' attacks will do 15% less damage in combat.
    • Merged few similiar AMLAs
    • Added two new terrain overlays: ^Fyed and ^Fyes (they are impassable substitutes of respectively ^Edp and ^Esd)
    • Added new unit: Spook
I'm interested in feedback regarding campaign difficulty, story, bugs, writing etc. Also, I'm not native English speaker, so I apologize for grammatical or semantical mistakes in my campaign.

Have fun!
Last edited by Sur_191 on October 6th, 2018, 1:52 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Creator of Wrath of the Lich Lords (abandoned).
Sur_191

Re: Wrath of the Lich Lords (1.14)

Post by Sur_191 »

I uploaded new version (0.2) to server. It adds two new scenarios (including one dialog-only), so now there are six playable scenarios. It also include other minor changes. Full changelog is in main post.
Sur_191

Post by Sur_191 »

Version 0.3 is on the server. I added seventh scenario and made few other minor changes to other things.
Sur_191

Post by Sur_191 »

Yet another new version (0.4) has been uploaded to server. One new scenario has been added and few minor things have been changed.
Sur_191

Post by Sur_191 »

Version 0.5 is here! Ninth scenario has been added alongside two new variations for Walking Corpse/Soulless. Right now they are reusing sprites of mainline zombies, but I may add some unique ones later. Have fun and don't forget to leave a comment here afterwards.
Sur_191

Post by Sur_191 »

I didn't notice earlier but there was a game-breaking bug in scenario 9. If somebody kill Yrina (lich leader), while Rushnak (orc leader) is fully surrounded by units not belonging to his side and there are other unit belonging to Rushnak's side, final event will break and scenario become unwinnable. I uploaded new version which fixed that, but if you started this scenario beforehand, you will have to make sure that this situation will not happen.
Sur_191

Post by Sur_191 »

Version 0.6 is on the server. Most important new addition is the tenth scenario. Full changelog is in the main post.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Fun campaign, though a couple of the scenarios went on (and on and on) more than I care for.

I played on normal. I think I always ended up with negative gold, though a few times the finish bonus gave me some to carry over. Built up a pretty powerful army of levelled up units. Siege put a big dent in that army. Obscurity finished off most of the rest.

I think Murad should probably be a hero you have to keep alive. I thought he was the best part of the campaign, and if he died the player would miss out on a lot. I'd also give him a trait like "creepy" (lowers chance to hit by 10/15/20% based on difficulty for adjacent units on his team, because he makes them nervous when he's around).

In Old Promise, the objectives say you can't recruit Burners. So I did. Not a great idea, though.
Spoiler:
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Sur_191

Post by Sur_191 »

white_haired_uncle wrote: November 4th, 2018, 3:20 am Fun campaign, though a couple of the scenarios went on (and on and on) more than I care for.

I played on normal. I think I always ended up with negative gold, though a few times the finish bonus gave me some to carry over. Built up a pretty powerful army of levelled up units. Siege put a big dent in that army. Obscurity finished off most of the rest.
I will rebalance Easy and Normal difficultly to make them a bit easier and quicker.
white_haired_uncle wrote: November 4th, 2018, 3:20 am I think Murad should probably be a hero you have to keep alive. I thought he was the best part of the campaign, and if he died the player would miss out on a lot.
I don't like forcing player to keep too many units alive, so I don't think that I will change that. Besides, I already spend too much time writing alternative dialogs in case that player lost him. Though, I may change my mind.
white_haired_uncle wrote: November 4th, 2018, 3:20 am I'd also give him a trait like "creepy" (lowers chance to hit by 10/15/20% based on difficulty for adjacent units on his team, because he makes them nervous when he's around).
Wasim will have a very similar ability in upcoming scenarios, and I don't want to duplicate heroes' special abilities. Naturally, I could switch that ability to Murad, but I think that it is more fitting for Wasim, because...
Spoiler:
white_haired_uncle wrote: November 4th, 2018, 3:20 am In Old Promise, the objectives say you can't recruit Burners. So I did. Not a great idea, though.
Why?
Spoiler:
Thank you for you feedback.
Last edited by Sur_191 on November 5th, 2018, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

I recruited a burner because it said I couldn't and it looked like I could so I wanted to try it out for debugging. Probably not the best unit to take against drakes since they resist fire well.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
Sur_191

Post by Sur_191 »

white_haired_uncle wrote: November 5th, 2018, 4:18 am I recruited a burner because it said I couldn't and it looked like I could so I wanted to try it out for debugging. Probably not the best unit to take against drakes since they resist fire well.
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought that you mean that it is a bad idea to prevent player from recruiting burners (which, as you notice, don't work in current version).
jaa

Post by jaa »

Hi there, just wanted to say that I really liked this campaign and it's become my all time favorite. Also wanted to ask wether you are still working on it and wether it will be updated to the newer versions?