Story of the Wose for Wesnoth 1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

James_The_Invisible

Story of the Wose for Wesnoth 1.16

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Hello. Some of you may know an ancient campaign called Story of the Wose which was available only to Wesnoth 1.10 and earlier. Well, until now. I have picked it up a few months ago and updated it for Wesnoth 1.12/1.13. You can download it from 1.12, 1.14 and 1.16 add-ons servers. Enjoy. If you discover any issue, report it here or on GitHub (see Links).

Links:
Old thread
GitHub repository
Last edited by James_The_Invisible on February 4th, 2023, 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
hephoto

Re: Story of the Wose for Wesnoth 1.12/1.13

Post by hephoto »

Hello,

Great, thanks for the info.
James_The_Invisible

Re: Story of the Wose for Wesnoth 1.12/1.14

This campaign is now available for Wesnoth 1.14.
James_The_Invisible

Version 0.8.1 is available for Wesnoth 1.12 and 1.14. It delivers a couple of bug fixes and correction of typos.
sergey

Post by sergey »

Hello, James_The_Invisible. Just finished "Story of the Wose" and enjoyed it a lot. Thank you.

I think I observed a bug (or even several bugs). My Wesnoth version is 1.14
Spoiler:
"The Catacombs" and "Arena" replays are attached.
SotW-The Catacombs replay.gz
(26.23 KiB) Downloaded 685 times
SotW-Arena replay.gz
(25.73 KiB) Downloaded 740 times
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
James_The_Invisible

Hi, sergey. It is good to know that someone still plays this campaign.
sergey wrote: December 20th, 2018, 6:52 pm First of all, in "The Catacombs" I noticed that after map has changed, some hexes are wrong, maybe map size became wrong. E.g. images of stones, which were initially covering the villages, now are slightly moved.
Noted, I will probably look into it deeply.
The next scenario was "Arena". I had a ruby in that scenario, though I didn't pick it before.
It is given to you at the start of scenario Arena, the main character said a line about it. But the thing is that the object does not have any description so Wesnoth applies it silently (this is new in 1.14). Maybe I will write something up.
At some point an error was shown "<Invalid WML found> [unstore_unit]: variable 'oracle_punt' doesn't exist".
I examined this carefully and I think that no storing/unstoring is necessary here. I will remove it.
sergey

Post by sergey »

I investigated the issues and have some proposals.

1. Regarding incorrect map in the catacombs. It also leads to one more undesired situation. Map is shifted and the keep near the lich is moved outside of the map, so lich can't recruit (he was supposed to do that as I understand). Actually, that was the reason I could easily kill him.
In order to fix that I propose to not use terrain_mask command and instead use

Code: Select all

[terrain]
    x=5,6,7,8,9,17,18,19,20,21
    y=17,16,16,16,17,17,16,16,16,17
    terrain=Wo
[/terrain]
I tested that. Additionally, units on those locations may be killed (they drown in the water). But that is not necessary, since only one line of water is added. So they won't be blocked and can move to the ground.

2. If lich in catacombs is killed then player goes to the arena scenario. I think additional condition must be added to lich death event - he must be killed by the player's side. After that, I think it would be better if unit that killed him says something about the ruby. To describe why player is moved to the arena, I propose to place image of a portal to the hex where the lich died, e.g. this or this image may be used. And unit which killed lich says something like "there is one more portal, let's check where it goes".

3. Regarding the 'oracle_punt' variable in the arena. I think the idea is to store unit on the location where oracle (necromancer) occurrs, then create oracle and unstore the unit on a vacant hex. It would be better to not remove that logic, but change it to occur only if there is a unit on the oracle's starting hex.

The first proposal is really essential. Other things are not so important, since if lich in the catacombs can recruit it would be hard to kill him.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
James_The_Invisible

1. Thanks, it will appear in next version.
2. The condition seems reasonable but as the comment left by original says, Lenvan's death significantly changes Wesnoth's history. Anyway, I will think about it.
3. If the location is already occupied, the new unit will be spawned at nearest empty hex by default (even without that additional code). Also, in this case it is the starting (and possibly) current location of the killed unit.
sergey

Post by sergey »

The condition seems reasonable but as the comment left by original says, Lenvan's death significantly changes Wesnoth's history.
If Londerleona's group kills Lenvan that may cause them to teleport to the arena instead of him. Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense from my point of view. If an orc killed Lenvan, why Londerleona is teleported to the arena and why she says that she got ruby from Lenvan?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Scenario 2 is missing a 'Turns run out' Defeat/Victory condition. (I don't know for sure which one would be right.)

EDIT:
(And my save file is 7 months old, so it might not be true anymore.)
James_The_Invisible

Ah, yes and it is not the only scenario missing it. Fix on GitHub.
To your edit: well, last version came out 8 months ago (May 2018).
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

It's still using a very old 'Wose Shaman' sprite, instead of the newer one.

EDIT:
Surprisingly nothing happens if I defeat all enemy leaders in Sc3.

EDIT 2:
Please take a look at this replay. It seems that quite some things went wrong.

EDIT 3:
The next one too. And welp, this was a confusing story. xD
Attachments
SotW-Epilogue.gz
Something about 'variable f doesn't exist'
(8.73 KiB) Downloaded 771 times
SotW-Arena replay.gz
(19.84 KiB) Downloaded 692 times
SotW-The Catacombs replay.gz
(23.88 KiB) Downloaded 709 times
James_The_Invisible

Konrad2 wrote: January 9th, 2019, 6:27 pm It's still using a very old 'Wose Shaman' sprite, instead of the newer one.
I will do that soon.
Surprisingly nothing happens if I defeat all enemy leaders in Sc3.
That is deliberate. The scenario has victory_when_enemies_defeated=no and even the objectives say that you are supposed to do something else.
Spoiler:
Please take a look at this replay. It seems that quite some things went wrong. The next one too. And welp, this was a confusing story. xD
Hmm, I see. Something strange happens when you are supposed to win. I will see what can I do.
And what exactly do you find confusing about the story?
Something about 'variable f doesn't exist'
Ah, yes. The original author has chosen weird ways to do certain things. I will look into this.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

That is deliberate. The scenario has victory_when_enemies_defeated=no and even the objectives say that you are supposed to do something else.
Spoiler:
I'm just used to scenarios of this kind ending if you've removed all enemy leaders, because who would stop you now from fullfilling your objective?
But that's not important. ^^
And what exactly do you find confusing about the story?
I wrote that after playing 'Arena', which is well...let's say it's not canon. It seems to be more of an easteregg.
I had to read the old feedback thread to figure out that there is way to finish this campaign that makes more sense.

Btw, the 'Ruby of Fire' attack is missing it's icon.
Last edited by Konrad2 on January 10th, 2019, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James_The_Invisible

Konrad2 wrote: January 9th, 2019, 10:04 pm I wrote that after playing 'Arena', which is well...let's ay it's not canon. It seems to be more of an easteregg.
I had to read the old feedback thread to figure out that there is way to finish this campaign that makes more sense.
Yes, the path you took is not the intended one. The objectives did not say anything about killing ANY enemy leader.
Btw, the 'Ruby of Fire' attack is missing it's icon.
Fixed on GitHub. I also made some other improvement to Ruby of Fire: https://github.com/konecnyjakub/Story_o ... 1eda0a09a8.