Pax Romana : The Rise of Vespasian

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

sergey

Re: Pax Romana : The Rise of Vespasian

Post by sergey »

I found a bug. Celtic Horseman should have leadership ability I believe, but this code doesn't work:

Code: Select all

[abilities]
        {ABILITY_PR_MOUNTED}
    [/abilities]
    [abilities]
        {PR_ABILITY_LEADERSHIP_LEVEL_2}
    [/abilities]
It should be:

Code: Select all

[abilities]
        {ABILITY_PR_MOUNTED}
        {PR_ABILITY_LEADERSHIP_LEVEL_2}
    [/abilities]
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
nenau

Post by nenau »

Thanks for all.

About the replays, you're a much better player than I, and I have 2 questions for now :
* You didn't use the celtic skirmishers. What could have made them more attractive for you ?
* You seem to have used the right-click option to uprank the legionnaires very easily. Was it easy to figure out how this feature works ?
sergey

Post by sergey »

nenau wrote: May 18th, 2019, 11:19 am You didn't use the celtic skirmishers. What could have made them more attractive for you ?
I didn't recruit them because:
- They will have skirmisher ability only at the second level, so I need to level up them
- Skirmishers tend to die faster, since they may move out of formation to finish wounded enemy

I didn't want to loose units that I levelled up. Perhaps it was an emotional decision to not recruit them. I could just use them instead of velites and eventually have several units with skirmisher ability. I think they are good as is.
nenau wrote: May 18th, 2019, 11:19 am You seem to have used the right-click option to uprank the legionnaires very easily. Was it easy to figure out how this feature works ?
I thought it was easy, but when you asked I read the code and found out that I missed one thing. There must be adjacent Legate or Tribun. Once I tried to promote Veteran Legionnaire and there was no the menu item. I thought it is not possible to promote Veteran Legionnaire and I should have promoted him when he was Legionnaire. Now I see that I was wrong. Maybe remove the condition that Legate or Tribun has to be close?

Two more problems found.
1) In "Welcome to Palestinia", "An afternoon with the Parthes" and "The trumpets of Jericho" enemy leaders have the same name Sophos. Not sure if that was intended.
2) In the "An afternoon with the Parthes" when convoy unit is killed the scenario is not ended. You should remove then tag in the corresponding die event.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
nenau

Post by nenau »

sergey wrote: May 18th, 2019, 1:45 pm Once I tried to promote Veteran Legionnaire and there was no the menu item. I thought it is not possible to promote Veteran Legionnaire and I should have promoted him when he was Legionnaire.
That's why you promoted that decurion with lots of xp instead. :lol: I definitely have to fix that point. But it should be more clear that this is not reversible.
sergey

Post by sergey »

Just finished the campaign. It was enjoyable, also it educates players about the Vespasian story. Thanks for creating it :D

My replays are attached. I found several scenarios starting from "The trumpets of Jericho" to be monotonous - a lot of gold, turns, units and low terrain diversity (mostly sand). I modified "The trumpets of Jericho" - decreased gold to make the scenario shorter. And skipped several scenarios after it. The last scenario was fun to me since it is more unique.
Attachments
TRV-Sand and blood replay.gz
(96.65 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
TRV-Welcome to Palestinia replay.gz
(63.87 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
TRV-An afternoon with the Parthes replay.gz
(70.24 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
TRV-The trumpets of Jericho replay.gz
(51.5 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
TRV-The Battle of Cremone replay.gz
(64.66 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
nenau

Post by nenau »

Hi,

I'll work on the three problematic scenarii. I was already planning to add an other unique scnario just before "way to Jeruslem", but I will also work on the AI in order to force the player to be more offensive in Jericho and Jerusalem.

By the way, good job with the Parthes, you could have killed the green leader. I can't really figure out if the fact that you killed the blue leader was a good thing for you or not... I was planning to do something to discourage the player to do so (like an explicit warning in the objectives and lots of enemies appearing if you aproach) but I dont want to make the scenario harder.

And thank you for the time you spent that will be most useful to improve this campaign !
sergey

Post by sergey »

nenau wrote: May 20th, 2019, 7:23 pm I will also work on the AI in order to force the player to be more offensive in Jericho and Jerusalem
Making AI to protect the town is not a trivial task. You may try to use https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Micro_AIs#Zone ... uardian.29 I think it would be more fun to give less gold to all sides. A lot of gold results in a very long scenario. Having several very long scenarios in a row may be boring. Of course it is up to you, I am just sharing my thoughts.
nenau wrote: May 20th, 2019, 7:23 pm By the way, good job with the Parthes, you could have killed the green leader. I can't really figure out if the fact that you killed the blue leader was a good thing for you or not... I was planning to do something to discourage the player to do so (like an explicit warning in the objectives and lots of enemies appearing if you aproach) but I dont want to make the scenario harder.
Killing the blue leader was not a good decision. I wanted to try that and succeeded. It would be easier if those units I sent to kill the enemy leader were protecting the fort. I wouldn't kill him if I failed that scenario and had to restart. I think you shouldn't add a lots of enemies / warning in the objectives. If you do that you will force player to make a decision. I like to have a possibility to make wrong decisions, that is fun to find out the proper strategy.
nenau wrote: May 20th, 2019, 7:23 pm And thank you for the time you spent that will be most useful to improve this campaign !
You are welcome :D
nenau

Post by nenau »

Updated the add-on. The main features are the following :

* Cleaned the abilities descriptions
* Reworked Jericho: the player has to actually attack the walls (done with a combination of guardians) and enemy gold was decreased to compensate
* Added a scenario with different gameplay just after.

I didn't modify the two last scenarii yet, but this will come later.
wheresvic

Post by wheresvic »

Hello,

I've recently been playing this campaign and am really enjoying it. I love the humour and the dialogue in it as well. There are a few spelling mistakes and once I am finished I would be happy to send over the corrections.

Thanks for creating it!

Cheers,
nenau

Post by nenau »

And I'll be happy to correct these mistakes.
I suppose there are less mistakes in the firsts scenarii, that have already been proofread, than in the rest.
StellarStar

Post by StellarStar »

Had a lot of fun with the campaign. Never figured out how to gain the lvl 4 units.
nenau

Post by nenau »

I'm glad you enjoyed the campaign. :)
lvl4 units are not available anymore in most recent versions of the campaign. They used to be obtainable simply by promoting lvl3 units, but it was making the last scenarii trivial (because of overly tanky units).
I'm not sure why I did not fully suppress them.