Voyage of a Drake: an RPG

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

profyverya

Re: Voyage of a Drake: an RPG

Post by profyverya »

As I see it will be interesting campaign. When do you plan to publish it on the addon server?
Creator of The World of Death RPG, maintainer of Soldier of Wesnoth
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

ForestDragon wrote: July 25th, 2018, 5:36 amEDIT: btw, what do you think about making a walkthrough of the campaign on the bfw wiki?
You mean a guide on how to complete all the side quests, etc? That would be fine, I guess. Do other campaigns have walkthroughs on the wiki? The closest thing I've seen are Inky's Let's Plays, on the forums. Also (surprisingly) replays are working fine, so that might simplify it.

Actually, it did cross my mind that posting a replay of solving the minecarts puzzle would be good.
profyverya wrote: July 25th, 2018, 4:16 pm As I see it will be interesting campaign. When do you plan to publish it on the addon server?
In about a week. Like the original post mentions, it's ready to play, I just want to force myself not to publish it until it's as polished as possible.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Wow!! I just finished playing and it was so fun and creative! Even a minecart pushing puzzle, that was great! :shock:
The stories of all the townspeople were really interesting, and I also enjoyed showing everybody a certain piece of headwear and watching their horrified reactions ;)
One part I found a bit lacking was
Spoiler:
Speaking of Let's Plays, I think this campaign would make a great one, there are so many opportunities for humor!
Amazing work!! :D

A couple typos:
Spoiler:
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Returning to the forum after a while to give a thumb up for this, this is great work! I'm still stuck in the first level (not the tutorial, but the big map), but I'm really enjoying it. The best thing is how alive the world you built feels, and how relatable the characters are. My favourite one is definitively the drunk priest, not so different from some I met :lol:
I'm really impressed by the number of original ideas and the care for details you've put in this, I can only imagine how much work it required! I look forward to see where it goes, I have only one question: is it possible to reach dead ends, like making decisions that irremediably prevent to progress with the game?

It looked already very polished and couldn't find any bug so far, one thing I noticed is that if you reach a location with 0 MP then you'll have to end turn once inside to have them replenished, not sure if this is intended.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Inky wrote: July 27th, 2018, 2:06 amOne part I found a bit lacking was
Yeaaah, turn based boss fights aren't easy to design. I'll try to soup it up this weekend.
Inky wrote: July 27th, 2018, 2:06 amSpeaking of Let's Plays, I think this campaign would make a great one, there are so many opportunities for humor!
Now that's some high praise!
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Samonella

Post by Samonella »

skeptical_troll wrote: July 27th, 2018, 4:36 pm Returning to the forum after a while to give a thumb up for this, this is great work!
Woah, when did this post get here? Sorry, I somehow never saw it while replying to Inky's. Anyway, glad you're liking it and welcome back!

skeptical_troll wrote: July 27th, 2018, 4:36 pmI have only one question: is it possible to reach dead ends, like making decisions that irremediably prevent to progress with the game?
Nope. There are a couple of irreversible mistakes, but none that stop you from completing the scenario. Or at least, there shouldn't be and I haven't found any. If you want hints, you can get them at the monument in the middle of town.

skeptical_troll wrote: July 27th, 2018, 4:36 pmone thing I noticed is that if you reach a location with 0 MP then you'll have to end turn once inside to have them replenished, not sure if this is intended.
Yeah, going between rooms in the tavern does that... it's not intended, but isn't such a big problem... shouldn't have been hard to fix but different events are happening in the wrong order... giant tangled mess of code... god I hope I don't run into any serious bugs and actually have to deal with all that...

Samonella

Post by Samonella »

It was a little delayed, by both laziness and a power outage, but it's finally published. Thanks to everyone for the help and ideas!

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Voyage
40,57 and 18,51 count as Unlit Brazier (Void). I'd have expected them to turn to Lit Brazier (Void) when I lit them, but instead they turn into normal terrain (even though they display a Lit Brazier). Is that intended?
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Konrad2 wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 4:48 am 40,57 and 18,51 count as Unlit Brazier (Void). I'd have expected them to turn to Lit Brazier (Void) when I lit them, but instead they turn into normal terrain (even though they display a Lit Brazier). Is that intended?
Yep, the only reason they were void in the first place is that the animation looks silly if you land exactly on it and blow fire in a random direction. So it's void to prevent confusion from that, but afterwards there's no reason to prevent movement there.

Thanks for checking!

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Both the Horse and the Hay (from Cada...'s Stable) disappear when I enter Cada...'s House. I had to go back to the Stable to get that Horse once more. (Same with changing 'maps'.)
I really have no idea what to do with this horse.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Konrad2 wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 4:56 am Both the Horse and the Hay (from Cada...'s Stable) disappear when I enter Cada...'s House. I had to go back to the Stable to get that Horse once more. (Same with changing 'maps'.)
I really have no idea what to do with this horse.
It is intended that they don't follow you everywhere, but I can see how that's confusing. I'll have to make the horse move back to the stable before the screen changes.

And about what to do with it...
Spoiler:

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

So, right now I'm doing a lot of listening to Ivan.
And he said at one point 'Sometimes I wonder if you can't understand me after all!', which is weird, because he believes that I can't understand him. Maybe he means 'can'?

He is talking about betting on the Tourist Boys in the Arena.
Spoiler:
I love the interactions. I like some of the people in the town and some I pretty much despise. Good job. xD
Spoiler:
I enjoyed it.

EDIT: Merged lots of spoiler things.
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Awesome, thanks for writing all that up!
Replies:
Konrad2 wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 10:37 amI love the interactions. I like some of the people in the town and some I pretty much despise. Good job. xD
Thanks again, glad you liked it!

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Spoiler:
Samonella

Post by Samonella »

Spoiler: