Napoleon project

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Napoleon project

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,

I don't know how fresh 0.11.0beta is, but I just downloaded it, and it doesn't seem to work. The game crashes with the following error message:
Screenshot.png
Sorry for the Hungarian interface, but the details are in English - the engine can't find the maps.

This is because of an error in your MAP macro:
It states:

Code: Select all

utils/utils.cfg.:
#define MAP MAP_NAME
map_data="{~add-ons/NAPOLEONIC_WARS/maps/{MAP_NAME}}"
#enddef
But your actual add-ons folder is: add-ons/Napoleonic_Wars
Wesnoth is case-sensitive, therefore the maps are not located.
Rewriting the macro with the proper directory solves the problem.

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

Thanks, WhiteWolf, it should be fixed.

0.11.1beta is uploading with some fixes:

- Fixed the problem with scenario crashing and images not showing for Linux users
- All units now have a basic melee animation with sound
- Corrections to several units' stats
- Some other minor cosmetic changes. Like a tint adjust for the different seasons in the Russia scenario and such.
Take command of Napoleon's armies in an 11 scenario historical campaign with the Napoleonic Warfare for Battle for Wesnoth project.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

bugreport: Ulhan's' portrait still shows 'image not found'. fix this.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

ForestDragon wrote:bugreport: Ulhan's' portrait still shows 'image not found'. fix this.
Fixed. Thanks for all the feedback!

0.12beta is uploading

- Russia scenario a bit harder
- Waterloo, epilogue and alternate intros are there. (Needs a lot of improvement, still very rough)
- A few more corrections in text, unit stats, etc.

Now working on:

New units: Guard Mamelukes, Veteran Cossacks, Guard Cossacks, Rifles (Britain) and Spanish 'Land Corsairs'
Pistol attacks
Other miscellaneous tweaks here and there
Take command of Napoleon's armies in an 11 scenario historical campaign with the Napoleonic Warfare for Battle for Wesnoth project.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

bugreport: the highlight image macro in the egypt scenario is currently this:

{HIGHLIGHT_IMAGE 4 10 items/gohere.png}  		
while it should be this (the way it is results in the game crashing with an error message):

{HIGHLIGHT_IMAGE 4 10 items/gohere.png ()}  		
EDIT: here is a fixed versin of Cossack (once again, caps issue):
NW_Cossack.cfg
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
EDIT2:reuploaded the text file due to the lance animation still not showing
Attachments
NW_Cossack.cfg
(2.57 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

Fixed and re-uploaded
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

0.12.2 beta is uploading.

Changes and fixes:
  1. Waterloo scenario should now work better
  2. More unit sound portrait and ability fixes (per ForestDragon)
  3. Pistol is now a ranged weapon and some units can "raid"
  4. New Units: Guard Mameluke, Spanish Land Corsair, British Rifles and Veteran Cossack
  5. Lots of little cosmetic and narrative tweaks (including ForestDragon's bayonet image)
  6. Invasion of Russia scenario harder
  7. Some credits, finally
Upcoming:
  1. Original Music
  2. Wesnoth races used to create nationalities and unique traits
  3. A few narrative and enemy ai tweaks
Attachments
NW_Guard_Mameluke.png
NW_Guard_Mameluke.png (5.68 KiB) Viewed 6541 times
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Nice! :D glad to see you making progress with the add-on! I think Land Corsair should require 42 exp to advance, though. also, i think that raid attacks should have a [dummy] special, just to put a description there, to make it clearer for players. also, Horse Chasseur should have raid, in my opinion, same goes for Scout of the Guard

EDIT: also, you should rename the 'Rifles' unit to 'Rifleman', or something like that. also, Landwehr doesn't have the same resistances as Fusilier. fix this.
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

Working on the races and last names; so far it is only cosmetic.

For the French, i get names like Kelle, Lan, Gouvillevue, Lefebvreau, Lault
Germans: Kutschroderg, Nugelsang, Preiss, Wimpffenber
Hungarians: Sztay, Vecsek
Russian: Golstov, Golitsov, Suvorchagov
Turks: Musrev

Hope none of them are swear words :)
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

TorMac wrote:Germans: Kutschroderg, Nugelsang, Preiss, Wimpffenber
As a German I have never heard any of these names and at least the first and the last don't even really sound German to me, though I am certainly not an expert. Are these supposed to be last names?

Here is a list of the most common last names (of today) in Germany: https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Verzeich ... utschlands

But a lot of those are probably not in the exact forms they would have had around 1800. Another point to take into consideration, though, might be that a lot of Prussian names were different from "German" names in Austria and so forth (at least not in quantity and for rarer names). There was no "German" identity before Napoleon.

Here I found the following Prussian names:
Spoiler:
It's actually kinda hard to find adequate name lists for a specific historic time. If you want nobility titles, I think I saw more useful stuff... (but for the thing you want to do here, just copying some names from the spoiler above should be more than sufficient, I think)
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

Thanks, Whiskeyjack - I fed some of those to the Wesnoth generator, and here is what it came up with:

Schlig, Schmann, Bahreilig, Liendörffer, Thatz

They 'look' more Prussian German to me. I guess I'm not going for accuracy but for flavor. Unless I figure out a way to make the names not be random generated.

I modified the German list to make some more Austrian-German sounding names and this is where we are:

Hillerg, Vogebauer, Preiss, Kaunitz, Hiller

Aha! I changed the Markovian name generator to parse "syllables" of 3 instead of 2 and I get much better results. Lots of Schroders, though.
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

And up goes a new version: 0.12.2beta

changelog:
  • Nationalities ("races") with their own trait selection and names. A bit uncomfortable with having the British have the "intelligent" trait sometimes and the Italians "dim". I'll change those soon.
  • Tweaks to several things - many thanks as always to Inspector General ForestDragon
  • Got some icons online for the attacks. Working on Wesnothifying them
  • Some maps got reworked to include battle locations and improve gameplay
  • Added the first campaign-specific music track - a Haydn-ish soundalike composed for an online series (Yes, I own the rights :))
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

feedback once again:
-Voltigeur/Carabinier should probably be French, instead of human, Land Corsair should be Spanish, the Division General line should probably be French, Heavy/Guard Dragoons should be British (according to Heavy Dragoon's description), Uhlan should be Polish, and you should put the guard (lvl3) units somewhere too, as well as the Horse Chasseur
-Guard Mameluke's saber attack icon shows as 'image not found'. same goes for Horse Artillery of the Guard's shrapnel attack icon
-make the normal 'pistol' attacks have 'attack_weight=0', since they are clearly inferior to Raid attacks on offense, but can be used defensively
-Landwehr should advance to Prussian Musketier, and not the French Fusilier
-It's weird that russians have a copy of Jager (sorry for not typing in the umlaut) that is still named that way. you should probably rename him.
-In my experience, many units got trait combinations like 'strong,strong', 'resilient,resilient', etc. to fix this, add 'ignore_global_traits=yes' to all NW [race] tags
TorMac

Post by TorMac »

ForestDragon wrote:feedback once again:
-It's weird that russians have a copy of Jager (sorry for not typing in the umlaut) that is still named that way. you should probably rename him.
[race] tags
The Russian word for Jäger is 'Егерь' (yéger') which is pronounced very close to the German Jäger if I'm not mistaken - I took out the ¨ to make it look different... I could call them "Yeger" or "Yegery" if you think it helps distinguish them. Someone who speaks Russian want to weigh in?

Working on all the other stuff! And the new traits for the units:
Well-armed, under-equipped, self-supplied(mobile), poor logistics(slow), High Morale, Low Morale, Propietor(loyal), orderly, unruly, modern tactics, antiquated tactics.
They mostly have the same effects as core traits, but are more flavorful and can generate interesting combinations based on race.

Another trait I want but i'm having problems with the name is
"rose-through-the ranks" or maybe "professional" or "promoted-by-merit" - refers to units/officers who got their rank through merit
"appointed" or maybe "aristocrat" or "bought" - refers to units/officers who got named because they were of noble birth, or worse, bought their place as a leader despite any shortcomings.

Any suggestions/feedback on the trait names would be most welcome.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Tormac wrote:Someone who speaks Russian want to weigh in?
Well, conveniently enough, I do! :) Yeger sounds good enough, besides, considering that your add-on often uses foreign words in English letters, the only important part is it's pronounciation (I might spelled this word incorrectly) being as close as possible to the original language. 'Yegery' would sound a lot like 'Егери', which is the plural word for Yeger 'Егерь' in Russian, so it won't fit for a single person.
Tormac wrote:Another trait I want but i'm having problems with the name is
"rose-through-the ranks" or maybe "professional" or "promoted-by-merit" - refers to units/officers who got their rank through merit
"appointed" or maybe "aristocrat" or "bought" - refers to units/officers who got named because they were of noble birth, or worse, bought their place as a leader despite any shortcomings.

Any suggestions/feedback on the trait names would be most welcome.
first, 'professional' sounds good, since the other suggested traits are a bit too long, in my opinion

about "appointed" or maybe "aristocrat" or "bought": i think 'appointed' sounds pretty good, since both other ideas can be described with this word to some extent as well.