Witch Campaign: Mountain Witch

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IIIO_METAL

Re: Witch Campaign: Mountain Witch

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Mountain Witch 1.1.13

Updated for Wesnoth 1.12.6.
This version has been revised by tamanegi for the menu item text and the text of the scenario up to "In The Ruins" (about 36% of the total).
This change has replaced the early story with a more understandable sentence.
If you find anything to say or mistake about the changed text, please write it here.
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

great to see the new dialog improvements! anyway, some dialog improvements/ideas:

"Witch Mountain. This mountain is called so, though its true name is Fallingstar Mountain. Why? It is simply because a witch is really living in that mountain. Villagers around the mountain provide any daily needs including food to the witch.,, not for fears, but for cooperation. When villagers have problems which they cannot deal with, the villagers ask the witch to solve the problems in return."
> " 'Witch Mountain'. That's the way this mountain is called, although it's actual name is Fallingstar Mountain. 'Why?', one might ask. It is simply because a witch really is living in that mountain. Villagers around the mountain provide any daily needs for the witch, including food. Not out of fear, mind you, but for cooperation. When villagers have problems which they cannot deal with by themselves, they ask the witch's assistance."

"Hana! What is this huge luggage? You cannot make a journey with such a huge luggage. Let me see your bag." > "Hana! What is this huge luggage? How are you planning to carry so much weight? Let me see your bag."

"Most of the things are not necessary for a journey, and many necessary things are missing! Why you have so many clothes?! Did you gather all the clothes in the closet?" > Most of the things you packed aren't even necessary for a journey, and many necessary things are missing! Why did you take so many clothes?! At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if you tried bringing the closet itself too..."

"Luggage for ordinary people is even more lighter because your one contains some magical tools. Anyway, let me see your recipe note. I will write a new recipe for a magical medicine. This medicine will slightly increase your physical strength. It would be better to make and stock them if you have ingredients." > "Luggage for ordinary people is even lighter, because yours contains magical tools. Anyway, let me see your recipe note. I will write a new recipe for a magical medicine. This medicine will slightly increase your physical strength. It would be better to make and stock them if you have ingredients."

grammar correction: Hana should only refer to Lucy as "ma'am" when directly talking to her, so lines like "Ma'am warned me (...)" should be replaced with "Lucy warned me (...)"

misc ideas:
-idea: maybe replace the current "You must not draw four magic circles!" narrator message with Hana directly saying something like "No, no, no, Lucy specifically warned me not to do that. I wouldn't want to cause a catastrophe."
-idea: It would probably be a good idea to add {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} to Mountain Peasant/Mountain Ranger for the 1.12 version
-idea: it would be nice if Lucy (in the departure scenario) mentioned that small wisps can merge with objects when entering villages in the hints menu (right now her hints about spirits don't mention anything about that)
-idea: I think it would nice if the turn limit was removed in the mountain village scenario (it's pretty much a shopping scenario, and there is no income, so I think it's unnecessary)
-It's rather annoying that Hana is missing sounds for the melee/ranged animations. It would be nice if you added "{SOUND:HIT_AND_MISS magic-missile-[1~3].ogg magic-missile-[1~3]-miss.ogg -100} to her ranged attack, and "{SOUND:HIT_AND_MISS staff.wav {SOUND_LIST:MISS} -100}" to her staff animation
-proposed stat (attack damage, new attacks, etc.) change ideas for artifact spirits/cats:
put in a spoiler to save space:
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Thank you for suggestion.

I will put your proposal in the work list immediately.
However, these changes will be reflected later. If the changed English text exceeds 70%, the next update will be scheduled.
As this campaign has a very long sentence, it probably will take several months.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

IIIO_METAL wrote:Thank you for suggestion.

I will put your proposal in the work list immediately.
However, these changes will be reflected later. If the changed English text exceeds 70%, the next update will be scheduled.
As this campaign has a very long sentence, it probably will take several months.
sure, I can wait. by the way, more ideas:
-weaken knife's melee damage to 5-3
-change battle hammer's damage from 10-2 backstab, to 11-2 breaker, maybe with the pain force ability (14-2 if without it)
-new unit idea: poisoned dagger. basically is an alternative lvl2 for knife, has a 7-3 backstab/poison melee
-improved artifact spirit description:
"(...) Such a tool is night after night walking around, that the mischief." > "(...) Such a tool floats around at night, up to mischief."
-increase lamp's fire resistance to 30%, brazier's fire resistance to 40%, and chandelier's fire resistance to 50%
-reduce vase/pot/ancient vase impact resistances to -10%, but increase fire/cold resistances to 10% (20% for ancient vase)
-considering that the artifact spirits can fly, it would be reasonable to give them 50% defense on all terrain, instead of having the defense vary between types of terrain
-proposed new resistances for the knife line:
knife: 20% blade, 30% pierce, 10% impact, -10% fire/cold
sword: 20% blade, 30% pierce, 10% impact, -10% fire/cold
fire sword: 20% blade, 30% pierce, 10% impact, 30% fire, -10% cold
ice sword: 20% blade, 30% pierce, 10% impact, -10% fire, 30% cold
-proposed new resistances for the bow line:
bow: -10% blade, 30% pierce, 10% impact, -20% fire
longbow: -10% blade, 30% pierce, 10% impact, -20% fire
magic breaker: -10% blade, 30% pierce, 10% impact, 10% fire, 10% cold
-proposed new resistances for the necklace line: 20% blade, 40% pierce, 20% impact, 20% arcane, 10% fire/cold
-weaken lvl2 necklace's ranged to 9-3, and lvl3's ranged to 13-3

in case you're wondering, individual units types can indeed have [resistance]/[defense] tags independent from those of their movetypes. btw, if you want to put, say, -10% resistance, you need to put it as 110, and 10% as 90
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I released the latest version of Mountain Witch, 1.1.14, to the add - on server for wesnoth 1.13.
For wesnoth 1.12, the connection with the server was disconnected during uploading, so it has not been released yet.

In this version upgrade all of the English text has been replaced by what was supervised by tamanegi.
The incomplete English text I wrote was expelled and it became a more readable sentence.
Also, the unit changes proposed by Forest Dragon are reflected.

Please let me know if you find any problems with anything. I appreciate it.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Could you try reuploading the 1.12 version? Otherwise the copy on the server is still the old version because of that error.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Thanks for shadowm, server maintenance.

I was able to update the new version of Mountain Witch successfully.
mysterious_haruko

Post by mysterious_haruko »

I'm resurrecting this thread to tell that I liked to play this campaign and had quite good times with some scenarios. But there are some things which ruined immersion for me or I couldn't take seriously, even if I wanted. I'll write short list for you:
1.Story telling was kind of inconsistent - I mean, first you were telling story from the first person perspective(Hana's one), later you jumped into third person's(narrator's) side and I was a bit confused later. Maybe it's better if you could put first person story telling between quotation marks or mention it's from diary or book, whatever you choose. Or rewrite story in third person person for less confusion.

2.Word "wanna" usage. I found it unfitting in lots of cases. I can't imagine, that First Witch, in her 30's-50's (judging by her portrait) would say "wanna", I imagine her as very mature woman, speaking in clear language without any slangs. Leave it as character specific word of your choice and replace most "wanna" into "want/need/must"...

3. Music choices. It's quite personal thing, I know, but I found that you're swapping between three custom music themes the most of time, which become very tiring after some scenarios. Maybe between three main themes, you could give some space for default wesnoth music? So, loops won't be so tiring and way too predictable. Also, not all scenarios should have music change - I found it also tiring, you just move some hexes and after enemy notices - music changes into custom ones.

I don't know how much this will be helpful for you, because this is my first time criticising campaign from player's perspective. So, take this list with grain of salt and I hope you have a good day.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

mysterious_haruko, Thank you for accurate criticism. Very grateful.

1: Story telling was kind of inconsistent.
You are right, my sentences are inconsistent. :oops:

2: Selection of words not fitting for age.
Until it is said to you, I did not notice at all in this thing. Because English is not my mother tongue, I do not understand the difference in fine nuances.
I think that I make such a mistake in other parts as well. If you have noticed anything else, please let me know.

3: Music choices
When I was making this campaign I was postponing the creation of playlists. And I forgot it without working as it is!
Thank you for pointing that out.

I decided to rewrite a lot of sentences, but it will take quite a while. I will post here when the sentence is completed, please evaluate again at that time.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I was wondering about the english. :)

I did not distract me that much, though - I think the idea behind the campaign is so good
that the "imperfect" english is not the most important part really.

I originally thought it was from someone from eastern europe since a few grammar-related
words appear to be missing hehehe. (I kind of am used to japanese english in some ways
and common mistakes there, as a user of the ruby programming language since almost
15 years, you tend to find similar patterns; also because of comedy like this:
"Ken Shimura - English Lesson" on youtube :D )

In hindsight, the anime-like portraits were somewhat telling.

To the campaign itself - and I hope there are not more than one witch-campaign (is there?).

One campaign is about helping dwarves explore and destroy some runestones. That scenario
was mandatory - I would suggest making it optional. Why? I failed to find the cornerstones and
gave up due to the insta-respawning and being unable to find the cornerstones due to the
strangeness of the maps. Other than that, it was a great idea so far, definitely one of the
better campaigns, even though I could only see the beginning parts.

I think the idea behind this campaign is really cool. The scenarios I would perhaps re-shuffle
a bit. Add a somewhat simpler and shorter scenario early on as the two travel about,
before they come to the bridge + trolls which leads to the dwarves.

To the spirits/wisps - the healing wisps seem to be so much better than the wisps that
animate items. Both due to healing but also fast movement. I would perhaps increase
the hitpoints of animated/possessed items by a bit, on all levels.

> You are right, my sentences are inconsistent.

I would not mind that but I think from a story-point view, I would perhaps change the
dialogue to avoid using abstract game mechanics, and explain that via words alone;
the abstract explanations can still show up somewhere (also at the help screen, not
sure if wesnoth is able to add more text to the mechanics; the dialog interface used
by wesnoth can be a bit clunky. I guess it was not originally envisioned to be more
powerful and flexible.)
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

No need to be ashamed of inconsistency. :)
Works of art will never be perfect. We simply make an effort, and sometimes make mistakes. There is no shame in that; the only shame is when we fail the endeavor to always improve our art, and when we fail to be adventurous for its sake.
Also, sometimes what we think is bad art is simply when our own personal Muse knows better than we do. The world is mysterious, and the wiser we become, the less we know — that is why we will never lose our sense of wonder at the stirrings of the unseen Hand.

Ahem. My apologies: it is late, and I've probably been rewatching too much Babylon 5.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Ohhh a fellow follower of G'Kar! No one here is exactly what he appears. ^.^

You have inspired me to try this wonderful campaign anew :)
LordOfEstmark

Post by LordOfEstmark »

I find your campaign very interesting, but unfortunately impossible (campaign version 1.1.19; wesnoth version 1.14.3). Perhaps something has gone broken in recent updates? I have stucked in the scenario 'In the ruins'. I have now been playing it with difficult easy and I am in turn 35/70. I have broken 5 cornerstones and investigated whole map, but I have not find a way to reach the last two corner stones. I believe that they are behind the enemy castles, but I have already taken one of the castles (top right), and there is no way to advance. Is it broken, or am I missing something? If so, can you give a hint?

Btw. At first I started to play it with difficulty hard (as usually), but as the map is so big there is no possibility to complete it in the time. On the first play I managed to reach and break two cornerstones. On the second play (I start from beginning if I don't manage to complete a scenario at first) when I knew exactly where to go and what to do I managed to reach and break 5 cornerstones. Last of them was broken in turn 49/50. However, there is absolutely no change to proceed against the two enemy castles. I can barely keep my stand, and prevent them to advance and flood the whole map with own troops. Also it was essential to rush on front line even to proceed this far, as otherways skeletons (enemy) and my ghost elf allies would form a so deep lines that I cannot reach the battle at all or to proceed on the map. I think that dialogue should give a hint for that. (<-- improvement suggestions)

Other suggestion would be also to include some dialog on the places where player unit is approaching those lv3 skeletons king (stone keepers), as they emerge suddenly and are so powerful that they will kill player units at once. Perhaps e.g. some dialog 1-3 steps before them saying that 'I don't like the stillness of this place' or something.. that would perhaps hint player units to proceed slower and saving some movement points and having possibility to escape/retreat.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I recall a discussion regarding some of the terminology. I believe the correct term you were looking for for the "splittings" was "fragments", or "shards". Also, since their names seem to follow the 'noun-verber' template, i think Record Holder and Blood Keeper would be more suitable names instead of Recorder and Blood Guardian.

Also, the ending of the scenario where you have to reach the mountain summit (before relics of the elves) is a bit of a tomato surprise. If Ann isn't anywhere near the rock blocking the way to the destination, it becomes impossible to win, and i have to reload several turns back. You need to either specify that Ann needs to reach the summit, so she's there when you reach the rock, or increase the turn limit by 8-10. On second thought, i question the necessity of that final sequence. It's kind of tedious to crawl through the map turn by turn once all enemies are gone, only to lose because the time runs out. The town parts use unlimited movement for the characters. It might make sense to enable that here if there are no enemy units left. (I.e. the trolls are killed and the pursuers flee).

Another thing. A lot of the maps need some reworking. The one hex corridors make movement very difficult.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I could not spend my time on this campaign for a while. Thank you to those who wrote some suggestions at that time.
I will resume work so as not to waste ideas to improve campaigns. Well, maybe, it will take time. Please accept that my work is slow.