Witch Campaign: Mountain Witch

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IIIO_METAL

Re: Witch Campaign: Mountain Witch

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Spoiler:
Thanks for correcting the text.
Creator of "Mountain Witch" & "Castle of evil spirit"
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

IIIO_METAL wrote:
Spoiler:
Thanks for correcting the text.
Spoiler:
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Maybe I think I understood. We will modify the scenario based on that opinion.

First, I want to make it a winning scenario if player challenge with the greatest effort.
Spoiler:
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

IIIO_METAL wrote:Maybe I think I understood. We will modify the scenario based on that opinion.

First, I want to make it a winning scenario if player challenge with the greatest effort.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I try to adjust with the existing data.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Very nice! I started debug at the undeground thingy, where we got the elvish child. Took me roughly 150 turns. First extended scenario ever, which I enjoyed.

I like the translation very often. For example I like "witch of star falling mountain". Technically it would be mostlikely "witch of starfall mountain".

There is a bigger whisp somewhere. Maybe that would be nice for the healing whisp?
The overlapping light halos became very intense. Maybe make them more transparent?

How is the dance experience calculated?
How good will the wooden sword become?
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Thank you, Wussel. If you think that you are having fun, I feel great as an author.
The underground ruins scenario is an important scene where the story starts to move but it may be the biggest difficulty in this campaign. Before translating to English, Japanese players tried, but they told me that this scenario is not well balanced.
After that, I reduced the difficulty level considerably, but I think that it is still a tough scenario.But I think that the game is boring if it makes it easier.

All translations rely on "Google translation", so I think that it is lucky if the rough meaning is conveyed at present. Some parts have been replaced with the text ForestDragon had thought. The 1.13.6 version is that.
Those who point out my wrong sentence are welcome. That way you can fix it for better text.

The unit images of whisp are all the same, and the size has not changed.
Since the unit image of whisp is a light ball, if you set halo, visually there will be more effects like light overlapping.
The effect was bigger and more impressive than I expected first.

In the case of lessons, the experience point of dance is randomly determined within the maximum value. In battle it is determined by the number of attacks and whether or not you hit.
Calculating the points that I can earn, I feel that the score at battle is a bit too low. It may be fixed at the next update.

The wood sword becomes considerably strong. We recommend using wooden swords as much as possible.
Besides, you think you can predict from his appearance scene, but it is a rather important character.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Konichiwa Illio-san! Arigato!

So far everything is awesome! I would suggest to fix only English which is clearly misleading:

Example:
"Familiar called a witch" is a typical description

It should be " by a witch" or "from a witch" (I am not sure what is right)

If you say as you do, you are basically calling the familiar a witch.

Example:
Sometimes you use a construction like "you can give icecream to you"
It should always be " you can give icecream to me"

At least that seems to be the most meaningful interpretation for me.

Otherwise it means " you can keep your icecream" (polite), "eat it yourself" (not polite) or "shove it up your behind" (very rude)

Forget the icecream! ;)

Example:
You call the witch a solitairy witch in the beginning. I believe you want to express that the witch has to go wandering on their own, as she is now trained and has to gether experience in the world. Essentially she is not an apprentice anymore but a bachelor. Before becoming a master she has to practise on her own.

For me the word solitairy would do this job. Fully-trained does not cut it for me, as this meaning is lost.

Example:
You call it the Ordeal. This is cool. Essentially any exam is an ordeal. For me this use of language makes it more dramatic. In that sense you get a lot of dramatic words from google translate. I do think this is very good. In that sense I would not change words around to much like "defender" and "guardian" and such.

I love this exotic names you picking for people and places!
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Wussel wrote: Example:
"Familiar called a witch" is a typical description

It should be " by a witch" or "from a witch" (I am not sure what is right)
'Familiar called by a witch' would be the usual English description. 'From a witch' implies that the the familiar is a part of the witch herself, whereas 'by' means that the witch creates or summons the familiar.

This campaign sounds intriguing. I look forward to playing it.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

In that case it might even be "from a witch" since you pay with hp loss! Just kidding. thanks for helping out.

I totally endorce this campaign. Please help Illo-chan with the google grammar issues while playing.

About that guardian/defender thingy:

A defender .. well defends. Like "the Defender of the Realm" or "King's Guard with flashy white cloak and golden armor". A guardian might be a fellow running the kingdom in the absence of the King. Could be a tutor or caretaker as well. Like "the Guardian of the Crown" or "Hand of the King". So if this guy is pure muscle and no brain, it would be a defender. If this fellow runs the show, he would be a guardian. So is this fellow the end boss or the defender of the mastermind? I did not reach the end yet.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Thank you for your advice soon.
The ice cream example quite accurately points out the failure I frequently make.

"You can give icecream to me" is often omitted for some words like "can give icecream" in Japanese.
The part omitted from the sentence is estimated from the context of the surroundings and the situation of the person speaking.
When translating such Japanese, Google seems to have strange meaning in many cases because it adds words at its own discretion.
I am careful not to be as possible, but I often overlook it.

UnwiseOwl, Thank you for reinforcing the explanation. I hope that you will like my add-on.

Wussel, the explanation of the guardian / defender was very easy to understand. What Forest Dragon said was right, but I did not understand why it was right.
This guy is not pure muscle man. In other words, it is a guardian.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Doi taschi maschte!

Just have to replay my current scenario. I believe "pain force" might be the key to remove this obstacles.

I did not get the cat summoning with Hana even after saving all the cats on the way. (3?) The cat boss helped me in that scenario but did not give cat summoning to me. Did I miss anything?

Update:
Finished the campaign! Lots of real interesting code. I managed to get the point with "spirit captured": First zombie, than skeleton, than ghost. The ghost comes back 10 times in average. I was hoping there is something to shorten that. "pain force" seems to be just some extra damage like "strong".

There are abilities like "knock back" and "stun" which would help to move this recuring units out of the way.

I would tweak the propabilities in favor of the player as this really invites save loading. like 90% zombie and at least 50% ghost gone, would be ok for me. The 10% lich is maybe nice on the highest difficult level. Technically killing them 4 times would be kind of sufficient for me. (Unless we need a nightmare level)

It took me a while to realize, that the wooden sword can kill these "auto repair" guys. I am sure it was mentioned in a dialog box somewhere. I looked a long time at the gatekeeper code, until I relized what I was missing.

Tight turn limits are usually not much fun. It will force people to use debug for extra turns. There was an interesting turn limit hidden in the last scenario. I like it that the last scenario was kind of short, but still a boss fight.

Very interesting maps! Maybe a village or a stove in the later maps would be nice for receipe cooking.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

Wussel, thank you for a good suggestion.

I think the cat's event is due to I making mistakes somewhere in the code. I will revalidate related events.
I thank you for pointing out the problems of the undeads that will be resurrected. I must improve this further.
"Knockback" and "Stan"! Why did not I think of it? It's a wonderful idea.

Hints on the relationship between "wooden sword" and "auto repair" may not have been enough.
Also, I thought that there is no hint which can be referred to later is a bad point. This is a problem to say about the whole campaign.
The game balance such as turn restrictions is bad, you are right.

Regarding the map, when I first tried to make a new wall, I was surprised by the complexity of the map data structure. Eventually I decided to do everything with the simplest overlay terrain.
It is a pseudo one, but I wanted to make a difference in height on the map. I respect the person who made the terrain of Wesnoth, I need more time to learn to do it.

The correction I am planning now seems to be rather large.
I started learning WML at the same time as making this campaign, so I learned selectively only the necessary parts.
So my knowledge of WML is incomplete and it may take a long time to complete the fix.
IIIO_METAL

Post by IIIO_METAL »

I was readjusting the "Spirit trap" event, but I encountered a phenomenon like a bug.

Code: Select all

[unstore_unit]
	variable=Unit_X
	x,y=X,Y
	animate=yes
	find_vacant=yes
	check_passability=yes
[/unstore_unit]
When this was executed with the coordinates where Unit_Y was located, the Unit_Y data was replaced with Unit_X data and Unit_X was replaced with Unit_Y data.
The appearance phenomenon is as follows. Unit_Y was pushed and Unit_X appeared there.
In Unit_X there is an abilities that was added later, and it remains in Unit_X as it is.
It seems to be the case when Unit_Y is level 0, but since the verification is not sufficient, the reproduction condition is not clear.
Has anyone ever heard of this phenomenon?

I added.

The cause of the problem was that my code was wrong. It is a very embarrassing mistake, so what a mistake I made is a secret.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I did not notice while playing. Your wml skills are totally fine. No need to be embarrassed. Code as said before is very interesting for me. I would recommand looking at it for all content creators.