The Ravagers - SP campaign for Wesnoth 1.16 [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

white_haired_uncle

Re: The Ravagers - SP campaign now for 1.14 - [Feedback and development]

Post by white_haired_uncle »

WhiteWolf wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 2:04 pm
white_haired_uncle wrote: July 19th, 2019, 12:28 am
true north: wartug has hate of wounds, which in the intro says heals half, but in the unit description says heals all. I don't have any unit that can land a single blow powerful enough to kill him from 41% HP. He's afraid of cold, so I guess I'll have to hit him with the unit I don't have which does cold damage.
OK, I checked this and you're right, this is the case, but it's not broken. An enemy is either normal, terrified, or enraged. There is no double-enraged and stuff like that. If you have a cold attack to terrify it that's cool and makes your life easier, but it's not necessary to beat Wartug.
A regular combat will look like this: yes, you will eventually lower his HP below 40%, then he will become enraged, and you must defeat an enraged enemy. It's hard, but can be managed, the point is, he won't become "even more enraged" when you lower it below 40% again. Nothing will happen, and you can kill him eventually. The trick here is to cleverly manage your high-damage units, so that they are all ready to attack the moment you enrage him, and thus leave him no chance to have an own turn while being enraged.

The description was indeed wrong though - I've fixed that, and new they really only heal up by half of their max HP. It's close to a full heal (90%), but it was indeed wrong in the tutorial. And the damage buff effect was also out of sync with the descriptions, I've fixed those too.

I've uploaded 1.1.22 to the add-ons server. It packs quite a lot of changes, improvements and fixes. For freshly started games, in the preferences menu it is now possible to customize at any time, which music packs should be used for the scenario playlist. For saved games all packs are used (the default setting), no change here.
Changelog 1.1.22:
What would happen if you enraged him, then terrified him? Could he then be enraged again?

Of course the save is gone, but when I first encountered hate of wounds I did something like that, I'm not sure of the exact sequence, but I was left convinced that you had to be able to deal a single killing blow from over 40% HP.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

@white_haired_uncle the orc leader cannot be enraged or terrified at the same time. That means that if you succeeded to terrify enemy leader and then enraged him, he'll only be enraged, and vica verse.
white_haired_uncle

EarthCake wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 10:45 pm @white_haired_uncle the orc leader cannot be enraged or terrified at the same time. That means that if you succeeded to terrify enemy leader and then enraged him, he'll only be enraged, and vica verse.
Thanks, but my question is what happens if you (can) do both? If he's enraged, and then you terrify him, what happens if he then drops below 40% HP? Does he switch back to being enraged again? Does he now have 20% more HP than he started with?

I THINK what I did was to terrify Lurm (which was the objective, should have been done right there), then hit him with a hero, got a message that said basically, "No, you have to hit him with a hero", then he went enraged, so I terrified him again, hit him with a hero, got a message that said basically, "No, you have to hit him with a hero", then he went enraged... and I cheated killed him and moved on. I may have to go back and see if I can I can figure out exactly what I did.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

white_haired_uncle wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 10:34 pm
What would happen if you enraged him, then terrified him? Could he then be enraged again?
white_haired_uncle wrote: July 24th, 2019, 12:53 am
Thanks, but my question is what happens if you (can) do both? If he's enraged, and then you terrify him, what happens if he then drops below 40% HP? Does he switch back to being enraged again? Does he now have 20% more HP than he started with?
Yes, the statuses can switch to the other if it is triggered. So a terrified enemy can become enraged again if you trigger it. (And if you terrify him again, he switches to terrified).
I'd have to check the code (which I'll do later and come back with an edit) because I don't remember if the status bonuses are simply removed when switching, or if they accumulate. If they are always refreshed (which I think is the case) then when he's enraged he'll have rage bonuses, then if he's terrified he'll lose all of that and have terrified stats. If he's enraged again, he loses the terrified stats and gets back the rage bonuses, so he'll be in the exact same state (bonus-wise) when he had been enraged for the first time.
If the bonuses accumulate, then when he's enraged for the second time, he should have the bonus from the first rage, the negative from the terrify, and the bonus from the second rage.
white_haired_uncle wrote: July 24th, 2019, 12:53 am
I THINK what I did was to terrify Lurm (which was the objective, should have been done right there), then hit him with a hero, got a message that said basically, "No, you have to hit him with a hero", then he went enraged, so I terrified him again, hit him with a hero, got a message that said basically, "No, you have to hit him with a hero", then he went enraged... and I cheated killed him and moved on. I may have to go back and see if I can I can figure out exactly what I did.
He was terrified, you hit him with a hero and it said, "No, you have to hit him with a hero?". That doesn't sound right, it should have resulted in victory. I'll check on that scenario, but it has worked fine for long now. However, I'm not sure what would happen if, let's say, Lurm was on some 41% HP when he was terrified, and then you hit him with a hero. The blow should kill him, though the drop-below-40% event might trigger first, in which case the execution may abort. I'll check what's the behavior in this case. The "No, you have to hit him with a hero" message is still uncalled for though...
Do mind that Maggoth is too clumsy to be able to execute terrified enemies, he is not eligible for this. You must try with any other hero (Dayton, Elvy, Dothar, Gallien, Milla, Tharos. I can't recall if Wulfius or Wolfras count here.)
If you do retry it, will you post your results?
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
white_haired_uncle

I've had limited success reproducing the issue.

Turn 20: the last save I still had. I started here, and just cheat killed all of his underlings to keep them out of the way.

Turn 25: the last turn.

The first time I tried this, I moved the crossbowman in and terrified him. Then I attacked, and missed, with Elvy. When I then hit him with Gallien, he became enraged. Hopefully this will show up okay in the replay I created, I can't figure out how to jump to the end without watching every turn.

I tried it again a few times and every time Elvy gets a hit and kills him. I'm wondering if the first time he lost his terrified status when a hero attacked and failed?

Doesn't look like it. While I was messing around trying to figure this out, I started wondering what would happen if Lurm bled or took a defensive hit that put him below 40%, or killed him. The result was the turn 30 save. I was able to miss him completely, once, with Elvy and he retained his terrified status. But if she hits him, he goes enraged.

Sorry if this is about clear as mud, but if you mess around with these a few times I'm pretty sure you'll see some odd behavour(s).
Attachments
TRS-(4) Lurm's Camp Turn 30.gz
(170.2 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
TRS-(4) Lurm's Camp Turn 20.gz
(173.48 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
TRS-(4) Lurm's Camp replay.gz
(96.87 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
TRS-(4) Lurm's Camp-Auto-Save25.gz
(170.85 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

(9) Linanir -> Lintanir
"Who dares disturb my peace?" -> "Who dares to disturb my peace?"
advanture -> adventure
inreadable -> unreadable
"I say with Doresters we are large..." -> "... we have large..."
historan -> historian

One weird thing I have noticed is that Red Jon's name in Inn is Inkeep Red Jon, but his unit type is Innkeep.

Epic enemies:
(Epic enemies = more than 50 free XP ;) )

What is actually considered as a crucial story point? (Feel free to PM me.)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
When approaching Red Jon to talk to him:
yourn -> yours

CT:
"Damn, am I moved to hear that." What is the meaning of this? Maybe it should be: "Damn, I am moved to hear that."

CT1:
clinck -> click
then -> than

CT2: Willis's -> Willis'
Shouldn't the name of scenario be "The Valley of Death"?
trecharous -> treacherous

I think that Trainkill should be implemented for maximum level units instead for level 3 units only. Let's take an example: (This is spoiler for CT though.)
Spoiler:
CT2: Desert Cannibals are very bad placed in their 72x72 sprite images. Take a look how they look:

Cannibals - TRS.png
I think Cannibals' race should be Dunefolk instead of Human.
or -> our
alligenace -> allegiance

CT3:
Short, our battle shall be... -> Short our battle shall be...
now -> know
beautious... I am not sure what this means. Maybe you thought beautiful /beauteous

How does Etiline know elf leader's name is Vezymir?
Last edited by EarthCake on July 25th, 2019, 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

white_haired_uncle wrote: July 24th, 2019, 8:16 pm Doesn't look like it. While I was messing around trying to figure this out, I started wondering what would happen if Lurm bled or took a defensive hit that put him below 40%, or killed him. The result was the turn 30 save. I was able to miss him completely, once, with Elvy and he retained his terrified status. But if she hits him, he goes enraged.
So it seems this is what I have been wondering about here:
WhiteWolf wrote: July 24th, 2019, 9:24 am However, I'm not sure what would happen if, let's say, Lurm was on some 41% HP when he was terrified, and then you hit him with a hero. The blow should kill him, though the drop-below-40% event might trigger first, in which case the execution may abort. I'll check what's the behavior in this case.
And it turns out the behavior is indeed a little unexpected: the enrage event happens before the execution event. It means, that in your turn 30 save if you attack with Elvyndiel and hit, it will first calculate damage, that triggers rage and Lurm heals up. The execution event would only check in then, but since Lurm is already enraged, it won't pass.
I can't say this is intended, but I wouldn't say it's a bug, it's just how things work. Here's what I think you're missing though, and you'll see why this behavior is no problem at all: the terrifying and the execution can happen in the same attack.
In your turn 25 save you already have 3 units standing around Lurm. Move in with Elvyndiel and attack: This is going to set Lurm terrified, because he is attacked while surrounded with 4 units, and the first actual hit from Elvy in the attack is already going to execute him. It's recommended to try with Elvyndiel's ranged magical attack - it has a high chance of hitting, and the first hit will be an execution.
It's similar for terrify conditions that actually require a hit: for example in fear of arcane: if Elvyndiel is dealing the arcane hit, it will terrify the enemy, and a second hit within the same attack will surely execute the enemy.

And, if you still manage to create a situation like on turn 30, all is not lost, you can still bag a victory, still in that turn. Here's how: attack Lurm with a unit that is likely to survive, in this case I used the archer on 6,22. A successful hit will set Lurm enraged, but now he is surrounded by 3 of your units. Move in with Elvyndiel's ranged attack and that's it. :)
EarthCake wrote: July 24th, 2019, 8:55 pm "Who dares disturb my peace?" -> "Who dares to disturb my peace?"
yourn -> yours
clinck -> click
Short, our battle shall be... -> Short our battle shall be...
"Damn, am I moved to hear that." What is the meaning of this? Maybe it should be: "Damn, I am moved to hear that."
These are intended archaic spellings or indicating a character speaking poorly. I did misspell clink though. :D And there should be an ! mark at the end of "Damn, am I moved to hear that!"
EarthCake wrote: July 24th, 2019, 8:55 pm One weird thing I have noticed is that Red Jon's name in Inn is Inkeep Red Jon, but his unit type is Innkeep.
Both should be Innkeeper in fact, but I just didn't start renaming him everywhere yet.
EarthCake wrote: Epic enemies:
(Epic enemies = more than 50 free XP ;) )
What do you mean by free XP? Are they that easy to beat? :lol:
EarthCake wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
#1 is a to-do :) I accept the suggestion in #2, English is not my native language either, so there can always be passable synonyms I had not thought of.
EarthCake wrote: Shouldn't the name of scenario be "The Valley of Death"?
Almost all maps start with "The", I omit it whenever possible.
EarthCake wrote: I think that Trainkill should be implemented for maximum level units instead for level 3 units only. Let's take an example: (This is spoiler for CT though.)
Spoiler:
It makes sense, I'll think on this.
EarthCake wrote: CT2: Desert Cannibals are very bad placed in their 72x72 sprite images. Take a look how they look:

I think Cannibals' race should be Dunefolk instead of Human.
I wonder how it did not hurt my eyes before (the sprite wasn't 72x72, that was the reason for the misplacement). It's fixed now, and they are Dunefolk.

EDIT:
beautious... I am not sure what this means. Maybe you thought beautiful /beauteous
Misspelled the "i".

How does Etiline know elf leader's name is Vezymir?
She doesn't. Replaced that for ", my lord."
Last edited by WhiteWolf on July 25th, 2019, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

Inn, when talking to Lory:
intenionally -> intentionally

FoV:
distured -> disturbed
attrackted -> attracted

FoV Another Victim:
appearantly -> apparently
It is weird that I actually can recruit Ravagers in this scenario.
What does "oid" mean?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

EarthCake wrote: July 25th, 2019, 3:22 pm It is weird that I actually can recruit Ravagers in this scenario.
What does "oid" mean?
There are no keeps to recruit anything from. For long I wasn't aware that ctrl+r works always and shows the recruit list, therefore I did not always hide the list on maps that don't have valid keeps anyway. It's just aesthetics though.

human-...oid: a "humanoid" with the speaker pondering his words in between.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

I am not sure if this actually is a bug, but Councillor Morvian keeps his units in the castle, and is not aiding me in the battle in (FoV4) The Flight.

Here is a screenshot:
In_castle.png
Maybe I am wrong, but I thought there were no epic enemies in Sidequests?

If I get epic enemy in Sidequest, in example FoV, why Baldor and Hufin say it is my imagination when I was talking with Lory.
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

I had tried to redownload and using your MP era, but when entered Multiplayer mode, gets error at three times:

Code: Select all

Macro/file 'BUILD_TRS_MUSIC' is missing
    at ~add-ons/The_Ravagers/utils/summarise.cfg:612
        included from ~add-ons/0Era_Of_The_Ravagers/_main.cfg:29
Please fix your era, Whitewolf.
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

EarthCake wrote: August 1st, 2019, 10:01 am I am not sure if this actually is a bug, but Councillor Morvian keeps his units in the castle, and is not aiding me in the battle in (FoV4) The Flight.

Here is a screenshot:

In_castle.png
It's supposed to be a very defensive AI, but not THAT defensive. It might depend on the difficulty, which do you play at?
EarthCake wrote: August 1st, 2019, 10:01 am Maybe I am wrong, but I thought there were no epic enemies in Sidequests?

If I get epic enemy in Sidequest, in example FoV, why Baldor and Hufin say it is my imagination when I was talking with Lory.
No, they are not outright banned from sidequests, if Dayton is still the narrator. The guys reacting in the Inn should be fitted accordingly though, that's indeed kind of weird right now.
DukeSwampy wrote: August 1st, 2019, 6:12 pm I had tried to redownload and using your MP era, but when entered Multiplayer mode, gets error at three times:

Code: Select all

Macro/file 'BUILD_TRS_MUSIC' is missing
    at ~add-ons/The_Ravagers/utils/summarise.cfg:612
        included from ~add-ons/0Era_Of_The_Ravagers/_main.cfg:29
Please fix your era, Whitewolf.
Ah yes, sorry, I forgot to update the era accordingly to the changes in 1.1.22. It's updated now, you can download 1.1.4 of the Era and it should work fine :)
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

I am playing on Mayhem. After some further examination, I have found out that AI moves units from his keep only when has more gold to recruit, or there are enemies within reach, but then not with all units.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Well, on every easier difficulty, that AI has more and more gold, so that could be the reason why it moves its units better there. I'll finetune it better, see what happens.

Note: in 1.1.22 there is an Instruct Ally option which lets you order him to be more aggressive, and protect your side or a location. The AI has a hardwired avoid aspect that bans him from leaving the castle walls, but getting him to line up there should be possible.
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

WhiteWolf wrote: August 1st, 2019, 9:19 pm Ah yes, sorry, I forgot to update the era accordingly to the changes in 1.1.22. It's updated now, you can download 1.1.4 of the Era and it should work fine :)
Ah, it works, it can be playable, thanks. :D
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)