Secret of Eternal Life by WTrawi

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Secret of Eternal Life by WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Hi everyone! :D

The ones read topic "Daily Paintings of WTrawi" might know that I'm developing a campaign called Secret of Eternal Life. What is interesting about it is that the characters of it are the members of the Hungarian Wesnoth Community! :D

It's about a young mage out of Alduin who reads about the great Kalenz and his infinite life, so he decides to find and learn the secret of it. He and his close mage friend with their old master recruits a small army, go to Kalenz to ask him, spend years in libraries, fight against orcs, outlaws and drakes; visit elves, dwarves, outlaws, and even a living dragon and at the end after a really surprising twist they found it! The exactly same way what Kalenz used!

I'm going to use most of the paintings I post.

Do you like the idea? :D
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
ForestDragon

Re: Secret of Eternal Life by WTrawi

Post by ForestDragon »

well, sounds good. btw, do you have the code ready?
WTrawi
Location: My location is not public, but I know YOURS and I can use it against you.

Post by WTrawi »

Yes, I have got four (maybe a bit half-done) scenarios and five more maps for it and I also have got the complete storyline.
Not very active on the forum anymore, but I still read it, and I also still play Wesnoth and draw a bit.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

WTrawi wrote:Yes, I have got four (maybe a bit half-done) scenarios and five more maps for it and I also have got the complete storyline.
well, is this on the add-on server?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Sounds cool, when will it be released?
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

I don't know. Currently I'm busy because of school, but I'm sure it's going to be released latest by summer. There are more information about it on the Hungarian Wesnoth Community's site, but I'm sure you don't know Hungarian, so I can tell more about it, for example: the scenarios, characters, etc.
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

As the
Spoiler:
of the campaign I'm looking forward to see it. :)
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Good news: I started to continue the project by creating more maps! :D
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

The time has now come to awaken this one as well :D

Due to summer I will have sooo much free time, so I'll continue to work on this campaign (and I hope it will be able to be published in the 1.14 version)!
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Since the last time I've written here I made THIS:
Spoiler:
It's basically made from the work of eliddell (inactive since 2013), who perhaps drew it using thousands of sources... therefore it's AMAZING!
The thing I'd like to ask is that is the map licensed or anything like that? Since I can't ask elidell I ask you... and if it's not I'll use it in the campaign which I'm working on! (it's in the 1.10 Wesnoth's style, but it's so HUGE and it feels nostalgic that I'll use it no matter what!) :D

And one last question: there are a lot of differences between this and the ones Zookeper drew, which is (if there is one) the correct?
Spoiler:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

WTrawi wrote:And one last question: there are a lot of differences between this and the ones Zookeper drew, which is (if there is one) the correct?
The current mainline maps are of course more canonical. When I started doing those, I had to give priority to making the mainline campaign maps make as much sense as possible, so differences with for example eliddell's stuff was inevitable. Some places and areas got changed, moved, added or shrunk. At the same time, I tried to frame the continent so that it can be expanded further east/south to include most of the things on eliddell's map in some form, even if not exactly in the same places in relation to everything else. Anyway, this isn't to say that the current maps are immutable; there's a lot of geography depicted on them which isn't really relevant for the mainline campaigns, so I'm open to the possibility of making adjustments to cater to UMC if there's a particularly strong need.

I felt that one of the main problems with the old geography was that every new area was bigger than the old. If you look at Wesnoth on that map, it's tiny. The Far North is like 5 times bigger than Wesnoth and is located so far that huge human armies conquesting there in SotBE didn't make all that much sense. The Sandy Wastes are almost 10 times as big as Wesnoth. And when you go further south/southeast or northeast, you just get bigger and bigger swaths of empty plains and mountains. It's a bit like the geographical equivalent of creeping biggerism, the tendency of making new things bigger than the old. So one of my goals was to re-size things to alleviate that.

P.S. You might want to check out Oath of Allegiance for a map of the far south which was quite specifically crafted to accommodate the Khalifate.
WTrawi

Post by WTrawi »

Thank you for your answer, and I see your point about the old map of the Great Continent. The only advantage of the old one is that its north-east part isn't on your map (the least thing I want is to judge your work by that :whistle:).
zookeeper wrote:P.S. You might want to check out Oath of Allegiance for a map of the far south which was quite specifically crafted to accommodate the Khalifate.
One very last question: I'm kinda collecting Wesnoth-style maps, are there any other non-mainline maps (or one of the whole Great Continent) you have drawn besides the one in Oath of Allegiance? :D
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

WTrawi wrote:One very last question: I'm kinda collecting Wesnoth-style maps, are there any other non-mainline maps (or one of the whole Great Continent) you have drawn besides the one in Oath of Allegiance? :D
I've done a few, but aside from OoA, they haven't really shown anything not already depicted on the other mainline maps. Just differently zoomed and cropped, with different labels and symbols.