Ashen Hearts [SP Drake Campaign for 1.12.6]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

CannonFodder

Re: Ashen Hearts [SP Drake Campaign for 1.12.6]

Post by CannonFodder »

Just sharing my impressions then, why I ended up preferring the trolls there.
Spoiler:
Daniel17022002

Post by Daniel17022002 »

Overall, this campaign was quite good and now I understand why Celtic Ministrel told me it is gonna become an official one. The plot is also nice and I like the characters ( mostly the sky drake :mrgreen: )

Problems:
-really really really really really really really really HARD ( that hard that even on the second scenario I expected allies to come and help me out with the dwarvish army so I lost once, but 2nd time I just ran away from most dwarves and directly attacked only the rune dwarf;the scenario with the frozen lake is really easy (compared to all the other scenarios it looks like a break) the scenario where dwarves follow you and in front are 2 troll leaders and a drake leader was ok as difficulty, but the flaming sword is impossible to get);the scenario before entering the drake temple was really hard once again, but if you enter through the wall that can be broken by enforcers , everything gets a little easier, though the elves are too strong to beat and the dwarves too; now, the first drake temple scenario is IMPOSSIBLE. I recruited till no gold left and I lost all my units before even getting to half of the map explored. The combination of dwarfs riding gryphons and mermaids is to strong for me so I had to use debug here ( a lot :annoyed: ) next, the one with the dragonheart is also pretty much impossible, but not as impossible as the last scenario ( I used debug more than in any scenario of any campaign) )
-bugs. lots of them. annoying bugs. in the scenario were you are followed by dwarves and you have 2 troll leaders and a drake leader in front, some bugs appear and if you don't press "Ignore", they will instantly close battle for wesnoth . Something related to enemy attacks I think(first appeared during the dwarves' turn and they couldn't recruit after that the whole scenario). There is also some [censored] bug later but I can't really remember where... And then, the last scenario, finished finally... but just to see a bug at the end that whatever you do, it closes your game and you can't finish the campaign(it occurs at the 2nd dialogue line of the sky drake/hurricane drake loyal unit)
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks for sharing your opinion and pointing out the bugs. Did you use Wesnoth 1.12 or 1.13? The crash regarding the attacks might be related to a performance regression in complex battle situations in 1.13 and it might be fixed already in the new version.

The campaign is indeed intended to be a very hard campaign. Adding another easier difficulty is certainly appropriate; still need to do more brainstorming about how to implement that. Just changing the amount of gold of the player and enemy isn't sufficient, imo. There are still some player, that managed to finish the campaign, though. I haven't changed the difficutly since CannonFodder shared his impressions.
Daniel17022002

Post by Daniel17022002 »

Well , I do have an idea here, keep in mind, just an idea, I don't say it is good or bad :mrgreen: . First of all, you could make the enemies recruit lower leveled units and have lower leveled units(this is for an easier difficulty). Or, what I thought at first, maybe to add allies in SOME of the scenarios?

Oh by the way, yes, I think it was because of the version of wesnoth indeed as you said, but I'm not at current with the bugs and I'm not good at programming so I didn't know :mrgreen:
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Right, having the drakes in scenario 3 be allies might lead to interesting results. I'll tinker with that idea at the weekend
Daniel17022002

Post by Daniel17022002 »

oh wow, you really took my idea in consideration. Well, thanks a lot :D
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Updated Ashen Hearts to v.1.6 on both Wesnoth 1.12 and 1.13. Made some visual changes and implemented an EASY difficulty.

Changelog:
  • implemented an EASY difficulty
  • Aragan got a unique sprite
  • giant explosion, when Aragan is dropped into the lava
  • changed sprite+portrait of the wanderer
  • changed the portrait of Elri
  • removed Elvish Vengeance
  • improved appearance of the Oaken Stone
  • improved Ilrandh's appearance
  • Ilrandh got a laugh animation
Make sure not to play on 1.13.7. It doesn't fully work there. Change to 1.13.6 or play on 1.12.x
Attachments
poordwarf.png
poordwarf.png (5.51 KiB) Viewed 7521 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

A few things I noticed in v1.6.0

07_Dragonheart
line 62 - controller should be 'null'

08_Ilrandh
I found the objective of moving Uluthur next to Menor confusing, I though that Khaz would automatically teleport when Uluthur was in position.
Some of the objective notes when it is updated need to be with the original scenario objectives (about the teleporting & 2nd leader)

line 875-904 - while this may work in 1.12.6, it won't in 1.13, as the location for the animated unit and the facing is identical.

line 997 - shouldn't this be first_unit.hitpoints?
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks! Fixed those and uploaded v.1.6.1
line 997 - shouldn't this be first_unit.hitpoints?
No, it's working as intended: Whenever Ilrandh is attacked and is not killed, he regains all his hitpoints. If he dies within 1 attack (only Khazran has enough damage to do so), he dies.

Edit: It seems as though a bug slipped through into v.1.6.1. It was due to a false variable declaration. I've fixed it and it's working again, sorry for the inconvenience

Edit: v.1.9

- improved the sprite of the wanderer
- added the Clockwork Ballista for the dwarves (the ultimate drake hunting tool)
- added a small runic ritual at 07_Dragonheart
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Ashen Hearts v.2.0 (BfW 1.13.x only)
  • Cragdin's dwarves now appear at a later turn and the turn limit is lower at the Snowthorn Vale, so killing him once he appears isn't feasible anymore.
  • added some Clockwork units (sprites by Zerovirus), so you don't have to fight dwarves all the time: the Clockwork Bulwark and Centurion. They'll play a role for the background story of Ilrandh. Moreover, Ilrandh is walking right into a volcano, so he certainly needs a fire-resistant army.
  • at 05_Runic_Gate, there is now a gate that can be opened by activating runes, that are protected by the mermaid and elvish leader. Also, there are now three ways in, that have been re-arranged: in the north, you can tear down the cave walls with a sturdy headbutting drake; in the middle you can open the wall and be greeted by an army of dwarves; or you can push through the small entrances in the south, that are protected by lightning-casting dwarves. Also, the fire rune got replaced by a thunder rune, so the dwarves are thematically more coherent. There are also less cave tiles, thus the scenario isn't as tedious as before.
Attachments
knockknock.png
ilrandh-bodyguards.png
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Re: Ashen Hearts [SP Drake Campaign for 1.13.8]

Post by Kwandulin »

Ashen Hearts: Walkthrough

This is a strategy guide for the UMC drake campaign "Ashen Hearts". It is based on the nightmare difficulty. Please note that there were several changes in the latest update (v.2.1, July 9th, 2017; see viewtopic.php?p=615217#p615217), thus this playthrough might not apply to previous versions of the campaign. The current v.2.2 fixes some additional error messages that appeared in v.2.1. You can find the replays at the end of the post.

General campaign advice

Ashen Hearts is a small/medium length drake campaign and no further information from other campaigns are needed in order to understand the story. You start with a typical set of drake recruits: the Burner, Fighter, Clasher and Glider. Great parts of the campaign are played in underground maps with cave, chasms, water and flat terrain, thus the more mobile drake units such as the Drake Fighter or the Drake Burner will be your main troops. Since your main enemies are dwarves, the Drake Fighter, that can deal quite a punch, should be your focus. Pay attention that there'll be several custom dwarf units that are susceptible to impact damage, so having some Gliders may work, too. Also make sure to get an early Drake Flare to boost your troops - especially when underground.

Moreover, at the later scenario, you will need one of each of the following units: Inferno Drake, Drake Flare, Drake Arbiter, Drake Thrasher, Drake Warrior; or their respective advancements. If you do not have them in scenario 7, you will not be able to finish the campaign. As Herkarth, your leader, is a Fire Drake, it'd make sense to advance him to an Inferno Drake. There are furthermore several hidden secrets to gain free Arbiters, Thrasher and Wardens. We will talk about the secrets later.

Scenario 1: Inner Flames
Spoiler:

Scenario 2: Aragan the Iron
Spoiler:

Scenario 3: Snowthorn Vale
Spoiler:

Scenario 4: The Wanderer
Spoiler:

Scenario 5: Runic Gate
Spoiler:

Scenario 6: Tears of the Heartfangs
Spoiler:

Scenario 7: Dragonheart
Spoiler:

Scenario 8: Ilrandh
Spoiler:
Attachments
Ashen-Hearts-Walkthrough.zip
(269.88 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
Last edited by Kwandulin on November 4th, 2017, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pags

Post by Pags »

on 7_Dragonheart, I had defeated all of the dwarves and didn't have any arbiters or wardens. I tried to recruit a clasher and use that, but that couldn't activate the upper-left rune with any of my drakes.

So...I did a :debug then :create Drake Arbiter then moved my new drake onto the tile. That triggered the last rune and led (after about 15 seconds) to the Victory notification. However, I never saw the image of the drake/dragon I was to free in center (as shown in the scenario 7 spoiler screenshot) at any point during the mission.

Please either have dwarves streaming into the cave periodically to act as advancement fodder, or have a rune off to one of the sides that results in the recruitment of a new dwarf leader any time it's pressed (etc). Or simply allow primitives of the class type to activate the various runes (in this case, let a clasher do the trick). Another alternative would be after all dwarves have been defeated, expand the recruit list to include one of each level 2 unit.

I suppose it'd be possible for a user to have negative income after all dwarves have been killed, so create a toxic sludge tile (or something) that you can move to to actually kill off your units to allow you to have enough income to buy a clasher. An alternative would be to have an "exit" tile where they would leave your party for the remainder of the scenario, but still be available for recruitment the next time around.

I used Wesnoth 1.12. The map/scenario files were from before 11 June 2017, as I continued a game saved in Scenario 7 from that date.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

The case of not being able to see the Dragonheart in scenario 7 was a bug of version 0.2.1, which is fixed in v.0.2.2 (fixed since 20.th July 2017).

Also the 7.th scenario is rather unusual, because you cannot really kill the enemy leaders as you have to milk them for a lot of XP. But I see the problems that can occur with that. I'll consider your suggestions for the 1.14 release version. Being able to recruit L2 drakes in this scenario after all the dwarvish leaders are dead sounds good, so does the endless stream of dwarves. I'll see what I can do about it.

Hope you enjoyed the campaign!
Pags

Post by Pags »

yep..enjoying it:)

in scenario 8, got "attempt to index field 'map' (a nil value)" referencing ca_goto_Ashen_Hearts lines 41 and 12

I don't have the big dragonheart character in my party, due to the old bug in 7 you mentioned, so do I need to rewind to the end of 6? This seems like it's a distinct issue though to me.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Yeah, you need the dragonheart to kill the enemy dwarf. The error message in S8 is also fixed in the newest version.