Help Wanted: New Campaign Idea

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DeFender1031

Help Wanted: New Campaign Idea

Post by DeFender1031 »

Hi there everyone. I've been hanging around the IRC channel for a while, but I'm relatively new to the forum, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I had an idea for an (IMHO) awesome wesnoth story, so I taught myself WML and now I'm using my free time to turn my awesome story into an awesome single-player campaign. So far, I've created several new unit types for it, as well as one scripted cutscene-style intro scenario and the first two playable scenarios, along with the map for the third. I don't need any specific help at the moment, but I know that once I have more of the story completed, I will want help in a few areas, so I figured I would see what kind of interest there might be in my idea and whether anyone might be willing to possibly help me out down the line. I'd love to start getting to know the people in this wonderful community. Anyway, here goes:

The story takes place a century or two after Eastern Invasion in a future where the mages who were once necromancers no longer desecrate the dead, and instead study more acceptable applications for dark energy. In addition, several more more branches of magic have been developed aside from the already existing fire and holy magics. (The exact backstory that led to this and how it relates directly to Eastern Invasion is elaborated upon in the campaign's intro, but in the interest of, well, keeping people's interest, I'm trying to keep this description short. If anyone wants more complete details, i'd be glad to share.) Anyway, there's a council of mages which oversees all the different Orders, and the story is about a young mage who's found to be capable of mastering more than one form of magic, who sets out to learn all of them, and on his travels begins to pick up hints that someone is trying to destabilize the council by attacking the mages. Obviously, he'll need to figure out who and why and how to stop them, but giving anymore of that away would be providing spoilers. ;)

The help I know I'll need down the line is:
  • Custom story images and portraits for the new unit types and main characters (and possibly new sprites as well, as they're currently mostly palette-swaps of the existing mage sprites)
  • Balance-tuning of the new unit types and their stats and abilities
  • Balance-tuning of various scenario settings for easy, medium, and hard modes (gold, turns, castle sizes, AI tweaks, etc.)
  • Play testing (though I do very much hope that people will consider this the fun part)
I may realize that I want help with other things as well, but that's what I already know i'll need. I really hope that people like my idea and that I can really take this all the way to completion and create something I can be proud of. Let me know if you're interested.
Last edited by DeFender1031 on April 16th, 2016, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Help Wanted: New Campaign Idea

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

For someone who's not themselves an artist it might be quite difficult to find story images and portraits; for a first version you'll likely need to do the unit sprites yourself, though for both you could post in the art forum to see if it catches anyone's interest.

For the rest, obviously there needs to be something playable first. :)
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.