Sire's Scenarios

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sire

Sire's Scenarios

Post by Sire »

This topic is for one-shot scenarios created by myself, Sire. They are essentially custom maps with unique objectives or mechanics, but only last for a duration of a single scenario instead of being an entire campaign.

To download these scenarios, search for "Sire's Scenarios" on the BoW 1.16.x Add-Ons server. To play these scenarios, access them through the campaign menu. When leaving comments or feedback, please state what scenario you are addressing, and remember that attaching a replay of the scenario will also help with further development! Thank you for playing.
Scenario List:
Last edited by Sire on April 15th, 2022, 10:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
Inky
Forum Moderator

Re: Sire's Scenarios

Post by Inky »

Woodcutters version 1.0.0

Hey, nice scenario and interesting mechanic. I think it's much too easy though - you can make several hundred gold by cutting down trees, you have a huge terrain advantage against the loyalists (you can hold the bridge chokepoint and the water line) and since the enemies don't really have access to healing, all you have to do is spam assassins and poison everything.

-On turn 13, the elves are supposed to get help but all they get is access to level 2 recruits and by that time they are out of gold so it really doesn't help them much. They should probably get some gold too so they can recruit a bit.

-Typo in turn 13 dialogue: "Take your soldiers to elimate the threat."

-The first objective (get 500 gold) is trivially easy to meet - just recruit a few more goblins, lure out and kill the 4 elves in the north, and after that your goblins can cut through the forests unchecked for the next few turns and win before the enemies even arrive. Maybe decrease starting gold so you actually have to fight a bit before you can win this way.

Anyway, here's my replay where I kill the elvish leader on turn 19. My strategy involved using lots of assassins and letting poison do the work. (Maybe one way to increase the scenario's challenge is to limit the recruiting of orcish assassins).
WoCu-Woodcutters_replay.gz
Wesnoth 1.12.5/hard
(38.17 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
I also like the idea of stand alone scenarios, and it would be great to have some mainline scenarios as mentioned in the other thread. I tend to prefer shorter campaigns, but the shorter mainline campaigns like AToTB and AOI tend to be the least tactically interesting since they're meant as a gameplay introduction more than anything else.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Where can I download this add-on? Can't find it on the 1.12 or 1.13 add-on servers.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
taptap

Post by taptap »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Where can I download this add-on? Can't find it on the 1.12 or 1.13 add-on servers.
Scenario is its own download type.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Sire

Post by Sire »

@ Inky

As always, thank you for the feedback!

Initially, I thought about making the objective cut down a certain number of forest tiles instead of the current system of holding onto gold. Thus, I think my estimates were about 50 forests below the mountains, and 100 above the mountains and outside of the city. However, I thought it would be more interesting if the player had to deal with gold management, trying to hold onto the gold to achieve victory instead of the standard wipe out all opposition. With this scenario, I hope I achieved a good balance between the normal objective (obtain at least 500 gold) and the heroic objective (wipe out all opposition).

Most of your feedback has been implemented into the latest version. To deal with assassin spam, I added some predeployed healers to the enemy side, alongside other revisions. Please see the changelog for full details.

@ Lord-Knightmare
I uploaded it to the Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.5 Add-Ons server. You may need to double check your BoW version. Try to type in either "Sire" (author's name) or "Woodcutters" (title of add-on) to filter the add-on results.

@ taptap
I have my "scenarios" as "single scenario campaigns". I have it under the "Campaign" type on the add-ons server.

General

I have updated Woodcutters to version 1.1.0. Please note that I have not tested this version for my balancing changes, only so far that it works. Overall, the scenario has been made more difficult, but I wonder if I made Hard too hard (as I normally do my testing on Normal difficulty). As always, any and all feedback is appreciated.

Since these scenarios are fairly easy to make in comparison to campaigns, I think I'll end up making another one soon. The question is, what faction and mechanics do I want to work with...
Changelog – Version 1.1.0:
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Hi Sire, the scenario is really fun! I played on 'normal' and it looked doable but quite hard, it's plenty of enemies coming from all directions and it is difficult to protect the goblins.
few comments:
-even if the goblins cannot move after the cut the trees, they can still attack. Is this intended?
-After victory, something strange happened, namely the map became black with only the unit and the labels visible.
-maybe moving the keep a bit on the west might make things easier, and make more useful the ability of recruiting nagas. Or you can add some water/swam channel, I don't know. At the moment I haven't used them a lot.
-It would be nice to include some reference to Wesnoth history, like 'we are collecting the resources for the X war', where X is some war between orcs and somebody else named in the mainline campaigns.

Nice work anyway, I really enjoyed it!
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Good idea, but way to easy. I beat it without recruiting anything in 5-6 turns. Granted, I lost everything except my leader and two goblins, but it can be done. This was my second try too. But a very creative and unique idea for this scenario "mashup". Looking forward to seeing more!
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

@ Lord-Knightmare
I uploaded it to the Battle for Wesnoth 1.12.5 Add-Ons server. You may need to double check your BoW version. Try to type in either "Sire" (author's name) or "Woodcutters" (title of add-on) to filter the add-on results.
Found it. You accidentally specified your add-on as a campaign but the type="scenario" can be used as well. Update your PBL file.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Sire

Post by Sire »

General

Added another scenario (The Night Watch) and changed how my scenarios are downloaded. Instead of uploading each scenario individually to the add-ons server, I will be uploading them all as a pack called Sire's Scenarios. Each scenario can still be accessed separately through the campaign menu.

The new scenario is nothing groundbreaking, just a defense mission as the Loyalists with a limited number of units and recruit access to only Peasants and Woodsmen. I am using part of the 24 hour schedule for this scenario, and the player is put up against Outlaws (with Ogres) and the Undead (with Naga).

As for future developments, I will likely be releasing new scenarios in a playable state, meaning that they may not be as polished as something I would normally work on. There is no changelog for this version. I hope you enjoy these scenarios, and remember, when leaving feedback, specify what scenario you are talking about! Also, replays are useful to include in your posts as well.

@ skeptical_troll

1: The goblins being able to attack after cutting down trees is intentional. This is mostly due to because I can't be bothered to add in additional code to also disable their attacks, but I can do so if it helps with immersion and gameplay.
2: The map fading is intentional, it is meant to represent the woodcutting task force withdrawing from the forests. If it is too distracting, I can get rid of it as no other ending triggers the fade to black effect.
3: I changed the terrain around that keep to make things harder, as Inky's assessment is that the terrain was initially biased toward the Orcs. In a previous version, the Loyalists did not have the southern and eastern bridges.
4: I could try to include some proper references to Wesnoth history, but for these particular scenarios I am focused more on gameplay. If there are any lore masters around that can offer advice on the script to make these scenarios sound more "mainline", then be my guest.

Thank you for enjoying the scenario. I have yet to beat this version of Woodcutters myself, but one day I'll get around to it.

@ DeCoolest_Cat

What difficulty did you play on? I understand doing a speed run may be considered easy for some, but I don't want the scenario becoming too difficult that a normal Wesnoth player cannot pick up and play a scenario.

@ Lord-Knightmare

The category has been changed to scenario.
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

@ DeCoolest_Cat

What difficulty did you play on? I understand doing a speed run may be considered easy for some, but I don't want the scenario becoming too difficult that a normal Wesnoth player cannot pick up and play a scenario.
I believe it was normal difficulty. I know for sure it wasn't hard. Either way, I'm an average wesnoth player, and it wasn't a speed run. I just saw that it could be done without recruiting so I tried. I would suggest making the easy difficulty harder, but with the other changes you have made I think it's fine. I don't think I could've done it without the bridge choke point.
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Hi Sire
Sire wrote:1: The goblins being able to attack after cutting down trees is intentional. This is mostly due to because I can't be bothered to add in additional code to also disable their attacks, but I can do so if it helps with immersion and gameplay.
That's need to be thought about, it could change balancing but it would add a challenge to the player. As for the coding, I think it should work if in your 'function code' you modify this part

Code: Select all

[modify_unit]
	[filter]
	x,y=$x1,$y1
	[/filter]
	moves=0
       attacks_left=0
[/modify_unit]
adding the 'attacks_left=0' line.
As for the fading to black at the end, it looked just weird to me that the labels remained. Seemed more like a bug. I'd suggest to remove labels or use a 'no map' scenario for the ending story.
Last edited by skeptical_troll on January 28th, 2016, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

And attacks_left=0.
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Woodcutters version 1.1.0

Wow, this version is ten times harder at least! (Maybe too hard?) I barely held off the initial waves and rushed straight to the elven keep to ZOC the leader before he could recruit on turn 25. I think it would be nice to give some kind of warning about the turn 25 reinforcements because (at least on hard difficulty) you really have to rush to get there by turn 25. Maybe on turn 13 the council could say that more troops will be arriving in about two days.

Minor cosmetic thing - the H in the "Hero's Lodge" label is cut off at the western edge of the map.
WoCu-Woodcutters_replay2.gz
(42.19 KiB) Downloaded 519 times
The Night Watch version 1.0.0

This scenario answers the question of who would win a fight between a revenant and a peasant :)
It seems well balanced to me (hard difficulty) - the undead started swarming the city right as the scenario ended on turn 12.

Typo in the turn 13 victory dialogue: "Impossible, my creations where not strong enough to best these peasants?"
TNW-The_Night_Watch_replay.gz
(28.14 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
Sire

Post by Sire »

@ DeCoolest_Cat

Thank you for your feedback. However, I will not be adjusting the scenario to account for this tactic as I believe it is a valid way to win the scenario. After all, the main objective is the harvest the lumber and then leave, and if it is possible to take a risk in not recruiting units and be rewarded for it, then go for it.

@ skeptical_troll

Very well. In the next version, Goblins will no longer be able to attack when harvesting wood, and I'll get rid of the Fade to Black sequence.

@ Inky

Woodcutters - I figured I made Woodcutters too hard on Hard difficulty. I think I'll revert the gold from cutting down forests back to 8, but reduce starting gold to 200 (from 250). Hopefully this will strike a balance between trying to meet the gold objective or choosing to wipe out the opposition on that mode. If I implement a forth difficulty, I'll add in the 5 gold per tile there. I also added in additional text on turn 13 referring to the turn 25 reinforcements.

As for the replay, it was amazing to watch, it seemed like a climatic battle between the invading Northerners and the defending Elves and Loyalists.

The Night Watch - Sounds good. However, I did forget to make a change in moving the Undead keep closer to the water, so the Naga, Wraiths, and Shadows should be a little more of a threat. Otherwise, when I implement a forth difficulty, I may have the enemy persist attacking for a few more turns after dawn for that specific mode.

Again, thanks for your feedback!
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey Sire,
I played Woodcutters today on normal difficulty.
It was quite challenging, but I did it! I really enjoyed it. Just the map feels a bit "wrong".
It was too much civilization, too much roads, bridges and castles. Nobody, even if he dumb like an orc, would have the idea to cut wood directly besides an elvish city. Maybe you could exchange some of the roads to dirt and some of the stone bridges to wooden bridges? At least in the southern part of the map. That would be great :)

Also once you beat the loyalist and manage to move a few goblins west of his castles they can harvest as much timber as they want without being bothered by the elves. (That how I won).

Another thing that you could try generally would be to bind your scenario more into the wesnothian history similar to how skeptical_troll did it with his drake scenario. It would suffice to clarify the location (for ex. wesmere forest) and drop small hints.

Overall I really enjoyed it though! :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl