Hunters of the East

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ritter_Kunibert

Re: Hunters of the East (new campaign)

Post by Ritter_Kunibert »

1) I really like this adventure.

2) The scenario "The Legend of Svethorvast" is an impossilbe mission.
The beginner-level does not work at all.

The normal level is an "Mission Impossible".
Why is it so?
- The troops of the dark mage "Truskribut" need only 5-7 rows to arrive the level 0 peasant "Barth".
Then they kill him.
But your fastest troops need appr. 12 rows to reach the battlefield in the west to defend "Barth".

It would be better to delete the figure "Truskribut" and his troops from the game, otherwise the
game automatically ends in the 7. row with your defeat.
skeptical_troll

Post by skeptical_troll »

Hi Ritter_Kunibert,
thanks for playing the campaign, I'm glad that you liked the story!

Which version of the campaign are you playing and in which version of BfW (I haven't been able to update on the 1.10 cause I lost the passphrase :/ ) ?
When I first uploaded the campaign the last three scenarios were not balanced. After playing them I also realized the problem you correctly pointed out and made some modifications. I didn't remove Truskribut, but I moved him lower in the map, so that he needs more time to get to Barth, and I gave the refugees leaders more gold, so that they will spam more units that should delay the enemy waves until you arrive. If you have Wesnoth 1.12 try to update the campaign and now it should be doable (I'm aware that this scenario will require some more iteration to reach a good balancing between being doable and challenging, I'm still working on it).

I'm puzzled by the fact that it doesn't work on 'easy', what happened exactly? The scenario did not load? The game crashed?
Ritter_Kunibert

Post by Ritter_Kunibert »

Hello skeptical_troll!
My actual BfW version is 1.10.7.
The version of "hunter of the east" is V1.0

Maybe another BfW version or version of "H.o.t.E" is more new,
but it should run at my UBUNTU :D

About the beginner-version: "The Legend of S." does not load and reports an error
about one unit
skeptical_troll

I see, unfortunately I have been updating the campaign on the 1.12 server but not on the 1.10, because of the passphrase issue. I am sorry about that, I'll write a post to the technical support and try to fix it. It certainly not a fault of your OS :)

Concerning the bug on 'easy' mode, it would be of great help if you can post the error you get. I'm not sure why it complains of a unit depending on the difficulty level I'll have a better look at my WML codes.

EDIT: Thanks to admins I managed to recover my passphrase and now the campaign should be up-to-date also in the 1.10 server. Let me know if after updating the add-on you still have the problem in that scenario and if you still get the error. In particular, do you see the allied elvish leader? If you noticed other weird things in the campaign, as missing characters or weird AI behaviour, please let me know as well. Thanks!
skeptical_troll

I have uploaded version 1.1.4, which is quite relevant if you get to the last 4 scenarios, as you might have noticed that some unit moves couldn't be undone. That should be fixed now.
I also started a 'changelog' file in the main directory for future changes.
GodlyDragon

Post by GodlyDragon »

Hi there, I am playing the 3rd scenario ( the huge map ) and at the 3rd after I'm on the island, ALL poachers and its advances, including the hero, just disapeared.

I really like your campaign so far but I stoped playing it because of this bug, could you fix it please?
skeptical_troll

Hi GodlyDragon. Sorry about that. I know that nasty bug, I thought I fixed it but probably it is still giving problems. Which version of the campaign and of BfW are you playing? Which difficulty level? The units disappeared after the campfire appeared, right?

EDIT: I removed the source of the bug, now the level shouldn't have any issue. Unfortunately, for the fix to be effective you'd need to restart the level (or if you don't want to, just :n to the next one, you were basically done except some neighbor disputes with the saurians).

NOTE ON THE EDIT: if you do :n you might get the gold carryover, which in principle was not allowed for this level
Last edited by skeptical_troll on January 18th, 2016, 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GodlyDragon

Post by GodlyDragon »

I play on BfW 1.12.5 and the lastest version of your campaign on easy.

And yes, they disappeared after the campfire appeared.
skeptical_troll

See the edited post: now it should be fine! Thanks for playing the campaign, I hope you are enjoying it a part from the bug!

EDIT: there is now a thread in the 'feedback' session here
This thread is still open for specific comments, requests and suggestions or anything you'd like to say
taptap

Re: Hunters of the East

Post by taptap »

Story is good, but German language origin shows.

Scenario 1 is cruel, so many loyals, so impossible to keep them alive. Only got the poacher and Swethorvast through the pass + two lonely hunters in the lower right corner. (They survived and spawned in the next scenario. With scenario knowledge I could now probably cheese out at least one loyal surviving by going there, but won't do that.)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
skeptical_troll

Hi Taptap, thanks for the feedback!
Yes, at the moment the main challenge in the first scenario is to preserve the loyal units (although I have never thought of the corner strategy!), but you can go on without them with no particular penalty. I suppose you are playing on hard, right? Did you use the footpad in the fight or you fled with him immediately?
taptap wrote:Story is good, but German language origin shows.
Really? :D Actually my native language is Italian, but I spent some time in Germany. Maybe my (vain) efforts in learning German had the only result of germanizing my English :) Or I tried too hard in de-italianizing my writing and now it sounds german! I'll try to improve that, is it more about the vocabulary I use or the way sentences are built? (Don't bother to answer if it's hard for you to tell)
taptap

Post by taptap »

Scenario 1) I did run with the footpad, but soon left him sitting on 70% to defend instead of trying in vain to catch up (when he has to go around but bats can fly over the mountain) and get caught without a chance to resist. All survivors had no experience.

Scenario 2) Camped until I felt strong enough to break out. By that point I had a bandit, a footpad, more thugs, bowmen and poachers. One resilient peasant stayed in a spooky house (attacked by 3 ghosts) until he levelled up :) I realised I won't be able to recruit peasants in scenario 3, i.e. I would have recruited a few more peasants in retrospect.

Scenario 3) Huge. :shock: Only just started. Getting a notification ahead of time that you lose the ability to recruit peasants would be nice, my spearman and remaining peasants suddenly are a rare asset.

Hahaha. Your efforts were not in vain, certain parts of the dialog I translated word for word to German and thought, maybe a bit awkward in English, but good prose when read like this.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Really? :D Actually my native language is Italian, but I spent some time in Germany. Maybe my (vain) efforts in learning German had the only result of germanizing my English :) Or I tried too hard in de-italianizing my writing and now it sounds german! I'll try to improve that, is it more about the vocabulary I use or the way sentences are built? (Don't bother to answer if it's hard for you to tell)
Actually I thought that as well :lol:
Couldn't tell why though
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
skeptical_troll

Paulomat4 wrote:Actually I thought that as well
Well, then it must be that I spent too much time with germans :D

Coming to the campaign, I will add a note about peasants, loyalist units are not meant to be a key ingredient in the campaign, but I think I'll let the player decide that.

I feel like scenario 1 is still a bit luck-dependent (for what concerns saving loyal units). If anybody cares, this is a strategy which in most of the cases works to save the loyals (the footpad almost surely)
Spoiler:
taptap

Post by taptap »

I sort of roleplayed a no one is left behind approach on first playthrough. But since no one survives anyway...

I always mix units for variety and knowing that outside the village, I won't be able to recruit peasants, I would have recruited a few more peasants in the last scenario (to be able to e.g. build a suitable Royal Guard with good traits).

Swethorvast: Huntsman for precision, Ranger for movement range or Master Bowman for raw damage? (I went Poacher -> thinking about Ranger for now, but will probably take Huntsman to not totally waste the trait.)