The Champions of Ursidae *Formerly Kalbruk's Journey*

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DeCoolest_Cat

The Champions of Ursidae *Formerly Kalbruk's Journey*

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

After over three years since the first post and two name changes, Wesnoth's one and only bear campaign is back baby! Gen 3 is called "The Champions of Ursidae" (Previously named "Kalbruk's Journey"). I changed the name because the entire campaign got revamped and I thought that it was fitting. The campaign now includes many updated and improved technical details like writing/storytelling/plot since I'm no longer in 8th grade as I was when this began. Kalbruk's Journey was within 2-3 scenarios of completion, but I found that I wasn't pleased with it so now only 5 remain. I have an outline for the story, so it should come up relatively quickly. Thank you for your patience, and please leave comments to help improve the campaign.

YOU HAVE TO REDOWNLOAD THE CAMPAIGN Kalbruk's Journey no longer exists, so download The Champions of Ursidae.

Original Post- Contains major spoilers and majorer cringe
Spoiler:
Last edited by DeCoolest_Cat on January 19th, 2019, 4:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Kalbruk's Journey BETA: Feedback Wanted

Post by Ravana »

All images found from addons server can be freely used in addons.
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Sorry I haven't been able to post this earlier. Again, thanks for reading this. All feedback is greatly appreciated!

Unit Stats

Bears
Spoiler:
Trolls
Spoiler:
Monsters
Spoiler:
Pirates
Spoiler:
Author of beta campaign Kalbruk's Journey - My art thread - My collection of single player scenarios: The Archives
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

I really hate double-posting, but I'm having a problem (and I don't know whether to post in WML Workshop or not, so I'm posting it here). I can't seem to upload my campaign to the add-ons server. I have created a _server.pbl file. I have looked over the Distributing Content page on the website http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Distributing_content , but I can't find the "Publish Add-on" in the list of add-ons. I would upload the campaign file to this forum, but my computer never can make the attachment. Also, there seem to be no forum posts addressing my question. This is why I haven't posted any updates in a while (and why I couldn't get any feedback), which is my bad. Thanks in advance.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Bumping support requests and posting development updates is fine.

Check file extension and location again.

Edit: Update for other people, problem is with filename, _server.pbl.txt
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

Kalbruk's Joruney version 0.1.0 is now live! Contains 4 complete scenarios, and the shell of the 5th. Now people can finally comment on this thread. There are some units that aren't encountered yet that I have made, and some unused sprites in the images folder. I'm still debating whether to put the units in. PM me if I forgot to ask for the usage of your sprites, and if I can't use them PM me as well, so I can take them down.
GodlyDragon

Post by GodlyDragon »

Hi there, I just made it to the 4th scenario and I did not get the trolls in my team, what's more, I killed all the undeads and the scenario did not end.

Nice and original campaign so far, I look foward to the next scenarios :D
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

GodlyDragon wrote:Hi there, I just made it to the 4th scenario and I did not get the trolls in my team, what's more, I killed all the undeads and the scenario did not end.
Error on my part, it's supposed to give you 3 trolls in that scenario, but whey never spawned. So I planned to put them in the recall list in scenario 4, but forgot. In scenario 4, the game ends on turn 5-6. Polksar turns into an undead on turn 5, and you have to kill him. I wanted to make sure that he was the last undead, but people can 'win' on turn 4, so it is a bit akward.

About how may turns did it take you to beat scenario 2 and 3?
GodlyDragon

Post by GodlyDragon »

13 turns for scenario 2 and 10 turns for scenario 3, but I played on easy.

I also have a question: Grizzly bears are stronger and tougher than Polar bears yet, they have the same level, why?
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

GodlyDragon wrote:13 turns for scenario 2 and 10 turns for scenario 3, but I played on easy.
Did you find the bear or the undead (not that there's anything the undead do)?
GodlyDragon wrote:I also have a question: Grizzly bears are stronger and tougher than Polar bears yet, they have the same level, why?
I haven't completely balanced it out between the two branches. Polar bears have higher cold resistance, which isn't much. I have the basis for a Snowstalk ability (ambush but in snow) for polar bears, but I can never get it to work. I might raise the resistances, and maybe make it chaotic (due to less daylight in the arctic), at least to give you a reason to choose it. :?
GodlyDragon

Post by GodlyDragon »

I found none of them where are they?

Improved résistances sound nice and for the chaotic alignement, I don't know if it will be Worth it since we can have trolls after a few scenarios. But well you're the boss so it's your choice.
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

The undead are Kellant's men, and are found in the very top right corner of the map. If you fought the cave bear in scenario 3, he will mention 'Druntvol'. Druntvol is below the pond and to the left of scenario 2.

There is an error in scenario 3 I'm trying to fix. If you have Druntvol, the cave bear will spawn twice. Once as the enemy, and second as a friendly.
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

I'm thinking creating a new level 3 advancement for the brown bear to take. It would be the Kodiak bear (the largest type of brown bear). It would play as a slow tank, with a 30-1 slows bearhug and a 22-2 maul. Due to its large size, it would have 5mp and 90hp. But the balancing factor is that since it is large and clumsy, both its attacks would always have a 40% to hit. This would still give you a reason to pick the grizzly bear.

For the polar bear buff, I was thinking a defense boost on ice/snow, higher resistances, and a huge maybe on a speed boost in deep water (making it from 3 to 2). The last part would be because polar bears have been seen swimming for up to 10 days. They wouldn't be quick in water, but they could still move around relatively fast. Any thoughts would greatly appreciated.
GodlyDragon

Post by GodlyDragon »

Hi again, I did not found any of the 2 cave bears, but I have found the undeads (Zombies)

Also, Evolved bears excepted Bolkuvek have 15 MP, was it intended?

EDIT: I found the cave bears.
DeCoolest_Cat

Post by DeCoolest_Cat »

No. I make the bears have 15mp to make testing easier. I guess I forgot to change it back to 6. 8)