Narrators and Identities thereof (in-character)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Can-ned_Food

Narrators and Identities thereof (in-character)

Post by Can-ned_Food »

I'll be doing some reads of the campaign and scenario intros, starting with the ones bundled with the game (via Debian APT, to be more precise). Because I want to; I've read the other posts concerning voice-acting and the like, and I'm aware of what has been posted here.

It would be helpful if scenario makers would compile here information on the identities of the narrators. Starting with Heir To The Throne, who seems to me like the typical (and rather cliché, I must say) bard telling a tale to an audience. Excepting the line that quotes Asheviere, of course, for which I wish to but have not yet secured someone to supply a voice.
For most of them this probably was never considered, and wouldn't matter much. If it does, however, then I'd rather know from you than simply do each one as the same person if the identity isn't obvious.

An example: In Myth (by Bungie circa 1998), each prologue was done by the same voice actor, playing some unnamed soldier, because it tied the entire game together.

Cheers
tr0ll

Re: Narrators and Identities thereof (in-character)

Post by tr0ll »

Good to hear! ;)
I wonder if there will be a way to play the narrations in addition to the texts, in the user's chosen language.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

It´s possible to play a sound alltogether with the text. But this so far has some limitations. Usally readers are quicker than the voice artist and will go to the next screen, while the sound continues. There are great voice artists out there, for example on newgrounds, but you also must convince them.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

I think voiceovers (in storyscreen aswell as in ingamre dialogues) would b a nice feature that would also make people like me who usually skip storyscreen care for a campaigns story.

I think the issue that the sound continues when the user goes to the next screen can be fixed (for exampel by adding a a voiceover= attribute in [message] and [part] which plays that sound and aborts the sound it the message was skipped.)
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Okay, so I didn't really see any comments on the question which I asked, so here's an example of one possible narrator for HttT. He's simply a scholar recounting the tale to some small audience, possibly a counsellor or prince of some kind.
This is a low quality sample and it was done rather hastily. It is soft so as to preserve the acoustics as best it could with a less than preferrable environment and instrument.
Attachments
HttT_intro-8.oga.7z
Heir to the Throne _ intro - line 8
(450.02 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

I wouldn't do HttT. It's the oldest campaign and in need of a re-write.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

Can-ned_Food wrote:Okay, so I didn't really see any comments on the question which I asked, so here's an example of one possible narrator for HttT. He's simply a scholar recounting the tale to some small audience, possibly a counsellor or prince of some kind.
This is a low quality sample and it was done rather hastily. It is soft so as to preserve the acoustics as best it could with a less than preferrable environment and instrument.
i like it!
from the style it sounds more like a raconteur/bard than a scholar.
for a production version it might be nice to have ambient sounds depending on story context, e.g. court music, weapons clashing, farm animals, crowd rhubarb.

there is a lot of scope for development in the story screens. they could become more like graphic novels or movies. narration could become a central aspect, depending on the story point of view of course. this depends on the stories staying relatively stable, so i would not encourage a rewrite of HttT unless there are a lot of complaints.
Can-ned_Food

Thematic absence

Post by Can-ned_Food »

The more I think of it, I expect that the absence of verbal voices could be a means to prevent associating any certain language with the characters. It seemed to me that it felt off balance with decent music and acceptable vocal sfx (compare to Bos Wars e.g. — hah!), but no verbal narration. Now, I can understand why an author might not want it. Like Bill Watterson with a Calvin & Hobbes cartoon.

I guess I'll save my voice for if I ever want to make my own campaign.