Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.13.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do you ever use the Episode II menu entry to launch the campaign?

Poll ended at August 6th, 2020, 4:21 am

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes: 12

irheh1

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.9 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.4+]

Post by irheh1 »

Hi, I've been playing "the Dark Hive", and I think there's a bug in the part where you have to protect Elynia and Mal Keshar for three turns. At the beginning of the Chaos Warlord's first turn after the objective changes, an error about failing to load an add on called priority_target_engine.lua . I've checked the add-ons server and my version of IftU is up to date.
IftU-The Dark Hive Turn 47bug.gz
(145.22 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Is this a bug, or is the issue on my end? Thank you (I love this campaign btw)!
ulaan

Post by ulaan »

Allright, I just made an account on this forum despite having lurked anonymously for the better part of a decade now.

I'm playing through the newest IftU -- must be either my fourth of my fifth playthrough, but it's definitely been 5+ years since last time.

I forgot how good the plot was. I am genuinely in LOVE with the character dynamics between the protagonists, the lore as it ties into UtbS and Wesnoth in general (Mal Keshar featuring as a deuteragonist and the others slowly coming to accept him despite being a lich -- it's just superb).

For the longest time, this storyline has been among my absolute favorite fantasy stories; far beyond just being the plot of a third party add-on for a strategy game. Something about it really speaks to me and I wanted to have posted this praise at least once via the official channels. So!

The fact that my opinion hasn't changed in the half-decade in which I completely forgot about Wesnoth, and that I'm actually able to play through it for the umpteenth and get goosebumps at certain sections and events despite knowing all the reveals ahead of time... that should really mean something.

Thank you so much for this, Iris. I have thoroughly enjoyed your work on this campaign.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

irheh1 wrote: January 30th, 2021, 7:22 pm Hi, I've been playing "the Dark Hive", and I think there's a bug in the part where you have to protect Elynia and Mal Keshar for three turns. At the beginning of the Chaos Warlord's first turn after the objective changes, an error about failing to load an add on called priority_target_engine.lua . I've checked the add-ons server and my version of IftU is up to date.
While I can certainly reproduce it on my end with the specific save you provided, I can't figure out how this happened since the obsolete file path in question — the file was intentionally moved somewhere else — isn't referenced in the current version of the scenario code at all.

Did you somehow start this scenario on an IftU version earlier than 2.1.5 and then upgrade at some point before continuing to play? Otherwise, does the issue still happen if you restart the scenario over from the start of scenario (not turn 1) save? (To save time you can use :debug and :throw DEBUG1 to skip to the gates. See CommandMode on the wiki for more information.)
ulaan wrote: February 11th, 2021, 12:06 amI'm playing through the newest IftU -- must be either my fourth of my fifth playthrough, but it's definitely been 5+ years since last time.

I forgot how good the plot was. I am genuinely in LOVE with the character dynamics between the protagonists, the lore as it ties into UtbS and Wesnoth in general (Mal Keshar featuring as a deuteragonist and the others slowly coming to accept him despite being a lich -- it's just superb).

For the longest time, this storyline has been among my absolute favorite fantasy stories; far beyond just being the plot of a third party add-on for a strategy game. Something about it really speaks to me and I wanted to have posted this praise at least once via the official channels. So!

The fact that my opinion hasn't changed in the half-decade in which I completely forgot about Wesnoth, and that I'm actually able to play through it for the umpteenth and get goosebumps at certain sections and events despite knowing all the reveals ahead of time... that should really mean something.

Thank you so much for this, Iris. I have thoroughly enjoyed your work on this campaign.
Thank you for your kind words! It may seem like little but it is posts and stories like these that keep me motivated to continue working on both campaigns and Wesnoth itself. 💜
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ulaan

Post by ulaan »

When I posted that comment, I was halfway through the second half of IftU. I just now finished it. What a rollercoaster of a campaign.

I seem to recall a number of plot events and dialogue interactions occurring slightly differently; at first I chalked it up to my memory being foggy, it's been years, after all. But after reading through some of the topics on here, I think the version I remember playing was probably some build of v1. That explains why I had the persistent feeling that the campaign wasn't merely "as good as I remember" but in fact got better somehow.

This was more than likely the first time I've played this revised version. I appreciated the inclusion of extensive AMLA menus, although I must admit I was a little disappointed to find that Malin didn't get one. I'd be interested to see how supercharged that snarky skeleton's abilities can really get.

In any case, although I replayed (old) IftU a number of times, I don't think I ever played through the sequel more than once... And I'm pretty sure that, back when I first played After the Storm, it wasn't actually finished yet, and there was only a half-finished Episode 1 or 2 or something... Which means that the playthrough I'm starting right now might be the first time I actually play through the entire, finished product. Hype!

I have a burning question, though. Through my reading of these forum topics I've found somewhat contradictory information regarding the existence of plans for another installment. On the one hand, I saw your mention that the plot of the original planned sequel to AtS has been included in AtS III, but on the other hand, there's these references to "EOL". Does that mean EOL is something you came up with at an even later point, when AtS was already fully plotted out including the third episode?

If the answer to that question is in any way spoiler-heavy, well, I'll probably be back in a week or two after devouring AtS.

Once again, this campaign has had a place in my heart over the past... decade? As one with a plotline that impressed me, even back in its original, presumably less polished form. I feel like it could be a novel and I'd buy it (although it might require the novelization of Descent Into Darkness and UtbS as prequel novellas of sorts :P)

- ulaan
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ulaan wrote: February 14th, 2021, 3:54 am I have a burning question, though. Through my reading of these forum topics I've found somewhat contradictory information regarding the existence of plans for another installment. On the one hand, I saw your mention that the plot of the original planned sequel to AtS has been included in AtS III, but on the other hand, there's these references to "EOL". Does that mean EOL is something you came up with at an even later point, when AtS was already fully plotted out including the third episode?
The original untitled AtS sequel was meant to be a short campaign bridging AtS E2 and EOL, but ultimately it became AtS E3 instead. An important character from it did end up transplanted into AtS E2 during the great reshuffling near the end of E1's development, and some concepts from a separate scrapped campaign ended up integrated into E3 as well.
Best not open this before completing E3:
Truly, I came up with too many ideas for my own good. They end up taking more effort to implement than one would expect.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
mcanliman

Post by mcanliman »

turkish translation is dead. Could you update it please?
ı played a few years ago and Turkish language was good but in this version there is huge defiency at the translation.
thanks for this beautiful campaing :)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

mcanliman wrote: March 21st, 2021, 1:28 pm turkish translation is dead. Could you update it please?
ı played a few years ago and Turkish language was good but in this version there is huge defiency at the translation.
thanks for this beautiful campaing :)
I can't update any translations myself since I only speak English and Spanish (which I won't translate beyond the basics). I plan on removing all outdated translations for the next release to avoid confusion.

Anyone who speaks any given language can help with translating, though.
mcanliman

Post by mcanliman »

maybe ı can help you to translate turkish
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.10 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.4+]

Post by Iris »

Version 2.1.10 is out!

Aside from a major bug fix required for IftU and AtS to work properly on newer Wesnoth 1.15.x development releases, the most notable change in this release is the removal of obsolete or unmaintained translations: Spanish, French, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, and Turkish. This is specifically meant to avoid confusing people who would see those translations listed in the Add-ons Manager and then find out that they were barely usable in-game.

As always, translators are welcome to work on translations for the Project Ethea campaigns (IftU, AtS). The instructions can be found on the Ethea-i18n repository.

Note that this is likely to be the last IftU release supporting Wesnoth 1.13.12 through 1.14.2, and Wesnoth 1.15.4 through 1.15.10. I doubt anyone is actually impacted by this future change, though.

The complete changelog for this version of IftU follows:

Code: Select all

Version 2.1.10:
---------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20210401.

* Graphics:
  * Moved Igor's portrait from IftU to Naia.

* Language and i18n:
  * Removed obsolete translations below 80%: Spanish, French, Hungarian,
    Italian, Japanese, Turkish.
  * Updated translations: Russian.

* Scenarios:
  * S2 - A Real Confrontation:
    * Fixed a rare situation where enemy AIs deciding to borrow one of their
      allied villages would result in said villages' destruction and count
      towards the human player's defeat condition.
    * Instructed Lédinor to share his keep with the player if Galas is en
      route.

* Units:
  * Fixed Elvish Enchantress lacking an AMLA and XP display (issue #81).
The complete changelog for the included version of Naia follows:

Version 20210401:
-----------------
* Graphics:
  * Moved Igor's portrait from IftU to Naia.

* Language and i18n:
  * Removed obsolete translations below 80%: Hungarian, Italian, Japanese,
    Turkish.
  * Spanish translation excluded from snapshots due to being unmaintained, plus
    no phase 1 campaigns having a usable Spanish translation.
  * French translation not excluded from snapshots due to the AtS translation
    being actively developed (even though the IftU translation is largely
    unusable and unmaintained).
  * Updated translations: French, Russian.

* Lua and WML library:
  * Allow translatable package names.
  * Add-ons now control Naia's prefix using the `NAIA_EMBEDDED` macro, only
    allowing a choice between shipping it in the add-on's folder under
    `./Naia`, or requiring it to be present in `~add-ons/Naia`. The Naia
    `[binary_path]` is now compulsory and handled by Naia as well.
  * `NAIA_PREFIX` and `NAIA_BINARY_PATH` are now defined by Naia and should
    not be defined by add-ons.
  * Fixed boss pop-up instantly disappearing on current 1.14.x and 1.15.x
    Wesnoth releases.
  * Fixed `[remove_terrain_overlays]` causing Lua errors in Wesnoth 1.15.x due
    to stricter parameter checks.

* Units:
  * Fixed defend only weapon special having the same internal id as attack
    only.
Have fun! 💚
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.11 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Post by Iris »

Version 2.1.11 is out!

This release mainly addresses various relatively small bugs found by Konrad2 during his live IftU and AtS playthrough on Twitch (channel link here). However, there are a few gameplay-impacting changes as well. I wonder what those are? There's only one way to find out!

Do note that from this release onwards, Wesnoth development versions earlier than 1.15.12 are no longer supported. If you were on Wesnoth 1.14.2 or earlier (why), that's not supported anymore either.

The complete changelog for this version of IftU follows:

Version 2.1.11:
---------------
* General:
  * Dropped support for Wesnoth versions 1.13.12 through 1.14.2, and 1.15.4
    through 1.15.11.
  * Update to Naia 20210430.

* Language and i18n:

* Scenarios:
  * Made it so map labels are removed before specific cutscenes.
  * S7 - Goliath:
    * Clarified the Potion of Strength's description to make its duration more
      obvious.
  * S8 - Errand of Hope:
    * Rephrased Poisonous Bow dialogue.
  * S15 - Shadows of Time:
    * Fixed ally leader not having a portrait in Wesnoth 1.15.x.
  * S20 - The Heart:
    * Fixed Galas' death not being listed as a defeat condition.
  * S21 - Innuendo:
    * Minor map changes to the northeastern dungeon.
  * S22B - The Dark Hive:
    * Added Ring of the Revenant item.
    * Added healing glyphs throughout the track for the second and third boss
      stages.
    * Increased turn limit.
    * Fix exploit allowing level 2 undead to escape the boss unscathed on Hard
      difficuly while making dialogues inconsistent.

* Units:
  * Eyestalk's alignment changed from lawful to chaotic.
  * Reduced Shadow Minion's XP requirement from 80 to 50.
  * Fixed Lady of Light's Shielding III AMLA not requiring Shielding II.
The complete changelog for the bundled version of Naia follows:

Version 20210430:
-----------------
* Language and i18n:

* Lua and WML library:
  * Added `[remove_trait]` WML action.
  * Added `[clear_unit_status]` WML action.
  * Added `[clear_map_labels]` WML action and `CLEAR_LABELS` macro.
  * Made it possible for `PICK_UP` not to remove the map item.

* Units:
  * Fixed Chaos Cardinal's arcane ranged attack missing an animation.
  * Gave faeries their own movetype instead of piggybacking on woodlandfloat.
  * Increased Faerie Sprite and Fire Faerie's fire resistance from 10% to 20%.
  * Increased Fire Faerie's cold resistance from -10% to 0%.
  * Increased Faerie Dryad's fire resistance from 20% to 30%.
  * Increased Faerie Spirit's cold resistance from 0% to 10%.
  * Increased Faerie Spirit's forest defense from 60% to 70%.
  * Increased Shaxthal Drone's cold resistance from -10% to 0%.
  * Increased Shaxthal Drone's fire resistance from -20% to -10%.
  * Increased Shaxthal Sentry Drone's fire resistance from -20% to -10%.
  * Added Testament ability.
  * Added Mark weapon special.
  * Renamed Burrow ability/weapon special to Bore to fix warnings in Wesnoth
    1.15.9 and later caused by the addition of a different Burrow ability to
    mainline.
  * Added Faerie Hamadryad.
  * Demon, Demon Zephyr, Demon Grunt, and Demon Warrior can now receive the
    Fearless trait.
Have fun! 💜
Mmlh

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.11 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Post by Mmlh »

Since this is my first message, I hope everything is working correctly. I found two small text bugs so far, in Wesnoth 1.15.12. The Elvish Ascetic help box when you first click on the unit is missing a word, and the encyclopedia entry is missing some newlines.
Attachments
Wesnoth IftU text bug 2.png
Wesnoth IftU text bug 1.png
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Mmlh wrote: May 11th, 2021, 9:29 pm Since this is my first message, I hope everything is working correctly. I found two small text bugs so far, in Wesnoth 1.15.12. The Elvish Ascetic help box when you first click on the unit is missing a word, and the encyclopedia entry is missing some newlines.
Thanks for the report!

The former is a long-standing unresolved bug in the game engine, unfortunately.

The latter is a consequence of a change in the implementation of special notes in 1.15.x which requires me to change a huge amount of help descriptions in a way I don't like. It's going to be fixed whenever I either finally drop support for 1.14.x or decide to delete all special notes entirely.
Mmlh

Post by Mmlh »

Thanks for the reply! That makes sense.

Is it intended that Civilians, when advancing, can only choose from three options, chosen at random from the four Elvish units they should be able to advance to? And I think there's also a slight bug with the AMLA screen for Alindë, where it goes blank after changing tabs. And it stays blank if you change back (see attached gif, which is simply a loop of menu as it opens, on 'All', to selecting 'Available', and then selecting 'All' again).

I assume the fact human units can't be drained in S4 is intended, as is the disabled Sylph advancement (presumably to make Alindë unique).
Attachments
Wesnoth IftU bug 4.gif
Wesnoth IftU bug 3.png
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Mmlh wrote: May 12th, 2021, 10:55 am Is it intended that Civilians, when advancing, can only choose from three options, chosen at random from the four Elvish units they should be able to advance to?
It's not actually random. Male civilians advance to Archer, Hunter and Fighter, while female civilians can advance to Shaman instead of Fighter.
Mmlh wrote: May 12th, 2021, 10:55 amAnd I think there's also a slight bug with the AMLA screen for Alindë, where it goes blank after changing tabs. And it stays blank if you change back (see attached gif, which is simply a loop of menu as it opens, on 'All', to selecting 'Available', and then selecting 'All' again).
Yeah, this is a known issue I reported recently (#5755). It may be there for a while but hopefully it will be gone at some point before Wesnoth 1.16.0. I may disable the filter options on 1.15.x in the meantime to avoid confusion.
Mmlh wrote: May 12th, 2021, 10:55 amI assume the fact human units can't be drained in S4 is intended, as is the disabled Sylph advancement (presumably to make Alindë unique).
Anlindë is the only elf allowed to advance to level 4, correct. Although making her unique was a secondary goal, the primary motivation was disallowing players from using Sylph spam to render multiple parts of the campaign trivial (there are other, cheaper spammable units but they require more a little more forethought than Sylphs).

About the human units, I assume you mean the fact that they are immune to dehydration? That's to prevent them from being too cheeseable during lawful times of the day, since they don't exactly have a terrain advantage (and it's not exactly easy to teach the AI how to deal with custom mechanics). It can be justified in-universe as them being better prepared for long treks across the desert.
Mmlh

Post by Mmlh »

I don't know how to quote messages, so I'll just go through in order.

The Civilian advancements make a ton of sense, thanks for explaining that! Very neat mechanic. It's not reflected in the in-game encyclopedia, which is why I was confused.

No, I mean that the Drain special on attacks does not work on the final set of human enemies in S4 (after the choice between fighting and leaving), as if they were classified as Undead. But this is listed in the IftU walkthrough on the Wenoth wiki, so I assumed it was intended. Dehydration not affecting them makes sense.