Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.13.1 [Wesnoth 1.14.x & 1.15.12+]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do you ever use the Episode II menu entry to launch the campaign?

Poll ended at August 6th, 2020, 4:21 am

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes: 12

Zhou

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.0 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Zhou »

I really like this new tree, it feels like everything is worth grabbing or has some kind of tangible benefit. Also having the total XP required be halved (from ~5327 to now ~2835) means you can probably reach most of the AMLAs even if you don't particularly focus on them, which is nice too.
ForestDragon wrote: July 17th, 2018, 7:25 am It is certainly better than the previous AMLA tree, but I'd like to propose a slight revision of the strength upgrade:
Strength I: same as in your post
Strength II: still +1 melee strike, but only +2 damage (after all, an extra strike is a pretty big deal)
Strength III: I think it would be better as +6 hp, given that it doesn't give any melee bonuses
Strength IV: same as in your post
Strength V: Feels too similar to Strength III, and a bit underpowered as a final upgrade (it is inferior to the previous upgrade in the tree, which isn't exactly a good design idea). Here are a few variants of how it can be changes:

a) making it give 7 hp (to be like a superior version of Strength III)
b) making it give +2 melee damage (not sure if it might be a bit overpowered, with all the previous upgrades), but only 2 more hp
c) maybe something fancy, like the stun special from UtbS

The rest look fine.
I'd say Strength II-V being on the same powerlevel is a good thing actually
In vanilla Wesnoth leveling a unit is less beneficial the more powerful that unit is or at least the improvement/XP ratio gets much worse.
A Fighter to Hero takes 40 XP for about 17(i think) HP, 12 melee dmg and 9 ranged dmg.
Hero to Champion takes 90 XP for about 20 HP, 13 melee dmg and 9 ranged dmg.
It takes way more XP the second time around for basically the same benefit, so keeping the AMLAs somewhat in line with that seems reasonable to me, even if the upgrades and XP increases are on a smaller scale.
I do agree with the point about Str V, as a player it just feels bad to have Str IV be the best upgrade and not Str V. That can easily be solved by having Str V give the melee dmg +1 instead of Str IV though. That way the player feels good about the "capstone" of the Strength upgrades, since it's technically the best of them all, even if the melee damage is *almost* inconsequential.
slightly confused
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.0 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Iris »

I think the melee damage increase (which is only useful during defense anyway) comes in handy much sooner tbh.

I’ve made Strength V give her 7 HP instead of 5.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.1 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by Iris »

Version 2.1.1 is out!

This is a very frugal release and it only delivers a couple of quality-of-life improvements.

First, there’s a new AMLA tree for Elynia, as outlined in the previous posts in this thread. I have no idea exactly how that will interact with old saves and her old AMLAs, so I’m going to ignore any reports about issues with them if you didn’t start scenario 10x “Elynia” from scratch on version 2.1.1 and let her progress from that point onwards with the new AMLA stats.

Second, both Elynia and Anlindë now only require 15% XP for their AMLAs.

Third, this release introduces an experimental feature that causes most animations in cutscenes to be completely skipped without any delays if you press Escape on any character dialogue line presented during them. I ran a few tests with AtS and tried to make sure that the code in question only kicks in for actions that have no concrete side-effects ­— the few that do, such as volume fading, take effect instantly instead — so hopefully this shouldn’t introduce any new bugs. I believe some people might find this highly useful when testing or reloading/replaying parts that they already know by heart.

newfrenchy83’s fix for the Protection ability incorrectly capping resistances for units with > 50% base resistances is also in this version since it’s part of Naia, although the issue was only evident in AtS since in modern versions of IftU it’s impossible for the player to obtain units with the Protection ability without cheating.

The complete changelog for this version of IftU follows:

Code: Select all

Version 2.1.1:
--------------
* General:
  * Update to Naia 20180722.

* Units:
  * Revised Elvish Avatar (Anlindë)'s AMLA tree:
    * XP increase for all AMLAs is 15%.
  * Revised Lady of Light (Elynia)'s AMLA tree:
    * XP increase for all AMLAs is 15%.
    * Base XP decreased from 90 XP to 70 XP.
    * Strength I: HP +4, melee dmg +1.
    * Strength II: HP +4, melee str +1.
    * Strength III: HP +5.
    * Strength IV: HP +5, melee dmg +1.
    * Strength V: HP +7.
    * Focus I: faerie fire dmg +1, requires Strength I.
    * Focus II: faerie fire str +1, requires Strength III.
    * Focus III: ensnare str +1, requires Strength IV.
    * Shielding I: arcane res +10%, requires Focus I.
    * Shielding II: arcane res +10%, impact res +10%, requires Focus II.
    * Shielding III: arcane res +10%, cold res +10%, requires Strength IV.
    * Thorns I: new attack - ranged pierce magical+drain 10-2.
    * Thorns II: thorns str +1.
    * Thorns III: thorns dmg +2.
The complete changelog for the included version of Naia follows:

Version 20180722:
-----------------
* Lua and WML library:
  * [fade_to_black] and [fade_in] now use wesnoth.color_adjust() directly
    instead of the [color_adjust] action.
  * Implemented code to make certain WML actions be skipped or take effect
    instantly when pressing Escape on [message] dialogs. This makes it possible
    to skip cutscenes much faster:
      * [move_unit_fake]
      * [move_units_fake]
      * [animate_unit]
      * [sound]
      * [delay]
      * [color_adjust]
      * [floating_text]
      * [scroll_to]
      * [scroll_to_unit]
      * [fade_out_music]
      * [fade_out_sound_effects]
      * [fade_in_sound_effects]
  * Removed BREAK, FOR, REVERSE_FOREACH, REVERSE_NEXT macros in favour of
    using [for], [foreach], [continue], and [break] in 1.14 instead.

* Units:
  * Aragwaithi humans now use the same race icons as regular humans.
  * Fixed Protection ability capping resistances to 50% for units which already
    have base resistances greater than 50% on their own (patch by newfrenchy83).
Have fun! 💜
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
SpiderAja

Re: Invasion from the Unknown 2.1.1 [Wesnoth 1.14]

Post by SpiderAja »

Oh my god Q_Q
I finally did it, I finished Invasion from the Unknown O_o

I like this campaign a lot, but out of the 5 tries to beat the last scenarios only two even had me reaching the Chaos Emperor and the last time I got completely decimated in the second phase
Today I exploited reload and AI mechanics a bit ':D Enemy leaders always return to castles to recruit troops, so I just allowed the chaos emperor to do that and had minor resting breaks, just had to use my two dwarves to bait him out again
Also killing the two other leaders in the first round gave me lots of freedom =w=

In the end even Igor survived, lost Erathan though :/
SpiderAja

Post by SpiderAja »

You can keep the two dwarves you get when fleeing from Herthgar
I leveled them up to level 3 and kept them as tanks
They were really useful
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I need you to tell me more about how you managed to keep the dwarves past the initial cutscene in Bye and Behold because that’s definitely not intentional.
SpiderAja

Post by SpiderAja »

I mean... there is not much to tell :/
I could just recall them...

The only unusual thing I did was end the campaign at the intermission (so that the campaign is marked as finished in the list) and then load the intermission to continue, but I guess that won't effect anything...? Besides that all I did was not letting them die *shrug*
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Are you 100% sure you did not get any error messages at some point during the initial cutscene of that scenario?

Because there is pretty much no other way they would survive since at some point during the cutscene this happens:

#
        # Stash him away for a later scenario
        #
        [store_unit]
            [filter]
                id=Althurin
            [/filter]
            variable=s14_althurin_store
            kill=yes
        [/store_unit]

[kill]
            id=King Asthorgar
        [/kill]
SpiderAja

Post by SpiderAja »

Hm? I meant the two guardsmen...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

:doh:

I completely forgot that in The Escape you get two Guardsmen on Easy difficulty only. Yeah, nothing accounts for their existence later on right now. Probably should fix that by killing them off during the same sequence in scenario 14 since there’s no in-story justification for their continued presence.

Also,
Spoiler:
SpiderAja

Post by SpiderAja »

Hm, that would increase the difficulty quite a bit...
I also used my prowlers to keep injured units safe, but the two guardsmen are much more durable :/

Would be an interesting change though, I guess
Really interesting... The amount of prowlers I can take with me is limited since you have a total of 6 elves for the last part and undead are not exactly good at tanking impact, arcane and fire attacks XD

------

Oh, I lost Erathan in regular battle though
At some point of the final boss fight ':D

------

Btw, I'm a big fan of Invasion from the Unknown :3
My favourite scenarios are the attack on the valley, the sieges on Herthgar and then the siege on the Chaos Empire's capital and the super challenging scenarios afterwards <3
Good work d(OwO
Spoiler:
------

Does killing the Matrix flow systems slow down the Shaxthal spawn?
Last edited by Pentarctagon on August 3rd, 2018, 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merged multipost
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

@SpiderAja: Please edit your post instead of making multiple posts in a short period of time, especially if no one else has replied yet.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

shadowm wrote:both Elynia and Anlindë now only require 15% XP for their AMLAs.
<3
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

SpiderAja wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 11:47 am Hm, that would increase the difficulty quite a bit...
I also used my prowlers to keep injured units safe, but the two guardsmen are much more durable :/
Nemaara seems to agree with me on Dwarvish Guardsmen being useless in the long term. I don’t know, it seems odd to leave in what is an actual development oversight without any plausible in-story justification for it.

I’d like to add that the Elvish Hunter line also suffers from long-term incompetence syndrome. Compared to Shyde/Spectre pairs they are just not very viable units.
SpiderAja wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 11:47 amBtw, I'm a big fan of Invasion from the Unknown :3
My favourite scenarios are the attack on the valley, the sieges on Herthgar and then the siege on the Chaos Empire's capital and the super challenging scenarios afterwards <3
Good work d(OwO
Thanks! 💜
SpiderAja wrote: August 2nd, 2018, 11:47 am Does killing the Matrix flow systems slow down the Shaxthal spawn?
This is a very good question and I’m not completely sure which scenario you are asking about, so here’s information on the only two scenarios in IftU where Verlissh structure units have unusual gameplay implications:
S19 ”Under the Sands”:
S23B “Until Death”: