Hero of Irdya I: The Legend Begins [SP campaign][1.15/1.16]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Hero of Irdya I: The Legend Begins [SP campaign]

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Beastiary.

"Beastiary" is the word I think you were looking for: an archaic word for an encyclopedic book giving information about various creatures :). "Despite what the beastiaries said." Currently it says "Despite what the books on beastiality said," but beastiality is... something else entirely :shock: :lol: .
Wow, autocorrect trolled me again! :lol: :lol:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
RyanCRobert

Post by RyanCRobert »

REALLY REALLY REALLY fun campaign (like, REALLY fun. Just the right amount of insane difficulty) that is rendered completely unplayable because of the corrupted save glitch that starts on scenario 4. I got all the way to the end of the scenario, misclicked, reloaded my save without realizing it was corrupted, and had to go all the way back to turn 5 (wasted 30 minutes of my time exactly.) Woke up today and loved the campaign so much that I decided to try multiple times to play the scenario in a way that wouldn't corrupt my save file, then found this message board and found out it unfortunately happens on the next two scenarios as well.
I can't stress enough this is probably my second favorite campaign for all of Wesnoth. When I first saw the INSANE amount of wolves on the 3rd scenario I was like "this is not for me, I hate chase scenarios ugh" and then ended up having the time of my life having my sylph kite about 12 wolves and level up to a Djinn all alone while the rest of my party fought the undead in the caves. It literally took the type of scenario I hate the most in Wesnoth and made me love it. That's how good it is. So I reeeeeeaaaaaally hope that a hard fix for that save glitch comes out because nothing would make me happier than getting to continue this awesome campaign!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

REALLY REALLY REALLY fun campaign (like, REALLY fun. Just the right amount of insane difficulty) that is rendered completely unplayable because of the corrupted save glitch that starts on scenario 4. I got all the way to the end of the scenario, misclicked, reloaded my save without realizing it was corrupted, and had to go all the way back to turn 5 (wasted 30 minutes of my time exactly.) Woke up today and loved the campaign so much that I decided to try multiple times to play the scenario in a way that wouldn't corrupt my save file, then found this message board and found out it unfortunately happens on the next two scenarios as well.
I can't stress enough this is probably my second favorite campaign for all of Wesnoth. When I first saw the INSANE amount of wolves on the 3rd scenario I was like "this is not for me, I hate chase scenarios ugh" and then ended up having the time of my life having my sylph kite about 12 wolves and level up to a Djinn all alone while the rest of my party fought the undead in the caves. It literally took the type of scenario I hate the most in Wesnoth and made me love it. That's how good it is. So I reeeeeeaaaaaally hope that a hard fix for that save glitch comes out because nothing would make me happier than getting to continue this awesome campaign!
Thanks for the review! I am working on that save file glitch while I port the campaign to 1.13.5 in order to continue its development.
nathanson1947

Post by nathanson1947 »

This is just to report that the same problem occured to me in the "Tenebrous Caverns" scenario. I almost made it to the end, until one of the hero figures got killed. I then found that the last autosave that I could recover was turn 5. I tried continuing on from turn 5, manually saving every few turns, but even the manual saves after turn 5 were corrupted, and the only way to complete the scenario seems to be to do everything perfectly the first time.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Announcement:

I am going to upload the completed first episode during my spring break. People who are interested in trying out the unreleased scenarios and post constructive feed-back early are encouraged to download the add-on from the Trunk Add-on server (the latest version of WoL is also there.)
Current state:
Scenario 8 is 98% playable (the remaining 2% are a few dialogue events and story text)
Scenarios left to code: 6 (revised plot and maps to reduce number of scenarios)

How to access Trunk
  • Open your game client
  • Select "Add-Ons" tag
  • Change the addons.wesnoth.org to addons.wesnoth.org:15004
  • Download and play.
  • Remember to undo the third step if you wanna access the 1.12 add-on server later...
Giant_Hogweed

Post by Giant_Hogweed »

Hello everybody!
I have begin playing this campaign for the third time I believe (The first time was some years ago so it was a completely different campaign from now, I saw many changement of sprites, scenarios and other things). Now I have reach the scenario called "Remnant of the past" but I have to say something about the previous scenarios.
1) When I fought in the forest to reach the wizards place it was not possible to hit the last two bosses of vampires and orcs, it seems that it was something that the developers chosen, can someone tell me why? The same thing happens with the dragon skeleton in the caves where the hero has to reach the stairs to go to Kaliban's place.
2) Another thing that for me is very wrong is that there are more then one case in which units pass through walls (the first time is when you have to enter the caves to reach the trolls and by the way I do not agree with the other player that tells that the enormous amount of wolves is good, because they killed the other ogre's even before I would be able to see their keep and it caused even some problems with error messages that appeared, fortunately without consequence on the proceeding of the game), that can be right for ghosts but not for skeletons nor for my units, it makes very difficult to see passages when you cannot see enemies walking through it.
3) Another thing is that it is necessary to use Maliha to kill the lich before the stairs, but it is NOT told anywhere this thing, so I killed the lich more than four times and start to think that it was a bug.
4) Now the very big problem: the turning places the allows to connect parts of the caves by putting a units on the runes, very very often causes all the savings made after it (including the automatic one) to results damaged! So I have always to go back and start again from the last save before the turning! It is crazy! Please fix that bug!

Thank you for your time and help.

Kind regards
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Hello!
Thank you for posting feed-back.
1) When I fought in the forest to reach the wizards place it was not possible to hit the last two bosses of vampires and orcs, it seems that it was something that the developers chosen, can someone tell me why? The same thing happens with the dragon skeleton in the caves where the hero has to reach the stairs to go to Kaliban's place.
Spoiler:
2) Another thing that for me is very wrong is that there are more then one case in which units pass through walls (the first time is when you have to enter the caves to reach the trolls and by the way I do not agree with the other player that tells that the enormous amount of wolves is good, because they killed the other ogre's even before I would be able to see their keep and it caused even some problems with error messages that appeared, fortunately without consequence on the proceeding of the game), that can be right for ghosts but not for skeletons nor for my units, it makes very difficult to see passages when you cannot see enemies walking through it.
Spoiler:
3) Another thing is that it is necessary to use Maliha to kill the lich before the stairs, but it is NOT told anywhere this thing, so I killed the lich more than four times and start to think that it was a bug.
Spoiler:
4) Now the very big problem: the turning places the allows to connect parts of the caves by putting a units on the runes, very very often causes all the savings made after it (including the automatic one) to results damaged! So I have always to go back and start again from the last save before the turning! It is crazy! Please fix that bug!
This is caused by obsolete LUA and WML. I am still working on a fix for this. They have been disabled in the current version. If you want, you can read my previous post on how to access the latest unreleased scenarios from trunk.
Anyways, let me quote it here again.
How to access Trunk:
1. Open your game client
2. Select "Add-Ons" option
3. Change the addons.wesnoth.org to addons.wesnoth.org:15004
4. Download and play.
5. Remember to undo the third step if you wanna access the 1.12 add-on server later...
Lastly, good luck for scenario 6. It's supposed to be the hardest one.
Giant_Hogweed

Post by Giant_Hogweed »

Hello everybody!

Lord-Knightmare thanks very much for your reply! I've downloaded the new version and the bug of point 4 has been solved.
Now I'm in the "Mountain of the damned" scenario, as it is almost impossible to reach the source of the undead before the end of turns in the medium difficulty level (I've started three times this scenario, with three different strategies of recalling and recruiting of the units and for my patience is enough, believe me I was going out of my head), I would like to ask you: will there be less enemies in the last part (I mean after killing the first undead leader behind the two invulnerable one) if I start with the easy difficulty level. Because if it is not so, I will leave this campaign.

Kind regards.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Now I'm in the "Mountain of the damned" scenario, as it is almost impossible to reach the source of the undead before the end of turns in the medium difficulty level (I've started three times this scenario, with three different strategies of recalling and recruiting of the units and for my patience is enough, believe me I was going out of my head), I would like to ask you: will there be less enemies in the last part (I mean after killing the first undead leader behind the two invulnerable one) if I start with the easy difficulty level. Because if it is not so, I will leave this campaign.
Spoiler:
Giant_Hogweed

Post by Giant_Hogweed »

Lord Knightmare good evening.
I'm sorry but I do not understand your message. I have to say two things: 1) The only flying units would be the fairies (that dye easily), Drakes (that are weak or not precise - especially with the third level ghosts - and slow - except for one kind that on the other hand is the weakest) and, only after an advancement, the minotaurs shaman (i don't remember the name of the unit) because all the elementals that can fly has been stolen by Faria. Moreover the fairies cost a lot. 2) The problem is that at 30th turn I only reach the beginning of the tunnel behind the first killable leader, so when I get near the end of the tunnel the enemy units grow instead of decrease reaching more then 10 units in front of mine that means an advancement of not more then one hexagon per turn.

By the way, why if the woodlanders are with me I cannot recruit Golems, Anurian, Wose ecc.?

I have just begun with the easy difficulty I hope it would be more fun. (there is no fun in losing)

Thak you for your attention and please forgive my "not perfect" english.

Kind regards.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Oh, I see my mistake...I mixed up the scenario names.... :oops:
Mountain of the Damned is scenario 10... :doh:
Spoiler:
By the way, why if the woodlanders are with me I cannot recruit Golems, Anurian, Wose ecc.?
Spoiler:
I have just begun with the easy difficulty I hope it would be more fun. (there is no fun in losing)
Spoiler:
Giant_Hogweed

Post by Giant_Hogweed »

Thank you! Yes I've saved the woodlander lord, in fact I was able to recruit Fairies, Rodent riders, Fauns ecc. But the exception of Golem, Anurian, Wose remains. Thank you for your work on developing and changements! To be sincere for the beginning of the campaign I prefer the earlier version where the escaping from the vampires was included in the first scenario, it was hard to win but exciting.

Thanks again ;-)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

I've saved the woodlander lord,
How on Irdya... :shock: ? Even I got ****ed in that level...
But the exception of Golem, Anurian, Wose remains.
Checked the code. Yep...I forgot to include those. Added Anuran Rider to that list. You won't need it in any scenario so, replaying the scenario just unlock a single recruit won't be worth it. The Golem is overpowered, so it won't be added. As for the woses, they're that mobile to keep up with the rest of Jahin's army and won't be added either.
Giant_Hogweed

Post by Giant_Hogweed »

"The Golem is overpowered, so it won't be added. As for the woses, they're that mobile to keep up with the rest of Jahin's army and won't be added either."
I do not agree. If you write something you should follow it, otherwise you are lying. So, If you write that I would be able to recruit the woodlanders all the woodlanders should be recruited; by the way I don't even understand why if it is possible to recruit some level one units of minotaurs, regarding the woodlanders only the 2nd level can be recruited. It is logic that probably for the scenario in which I can start to recruit them level one units maybe are too weak, but leave me the choice, I think.
This is just to let you know my opinion. One of the most important things that I like to get in a campaign is to have a lot of kind of units because each kind has its own characteristic and it gives me the possibility to choose which one to use for the terrain and the kind of enemies; but most of all I have fun in seeing what they can do. And to say all the truth, the first thing that I want when I play a game is to win, I have the whole life in this horrible world to make me feel a loser, at least in the game I want to feel like a winner. So for example invulnerable enemies make me feel a little losing, because I cannot win with them. To make the scenario more challenging you can put more enemy leaders instead of invulnerable one. When you write "How on Irdya... :shock: ? Even I got ****ed in that level..." I get shocked, so you make the game so hard that even you, that should know perfectly the most effective strategy, cannot reach the objective?.... I don't know, maybe I am the strange (In fact I feel like an alien in this world so it could be true ^_^ ), but I think that only in the hardest level of difficulty it could be acceptable.
Ok thanks for all. I will continue with the easy level and if I will see bugs I'll tell you. Whish you the best! ;-)
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

I do not agree. If you write something you should follow it, otherwise you are lying.
You drive a hard bargain. I will add the lvl 1 version of the Golem, which is pretty much like the Kobold. However, I am restricting recruits/recalls of Woodlander units to X units per scenario to keep the scenarios from becoming overly simple.
Spoiler: