Hero of Irdya I: The Legend Begins [SP campaign][1.15/1.16]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dracostar

Re: Hero of Irdya I: The Legend Begins [SP campaign]

Post by dracostar »

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not too sure what can be done about the orcs.
With regards to Krog, when he went into the cave he was first, he made his speech, then one of the troll side's units moved, then he repeated his speech, and only then did Urk reply (if this is of any help).

Furthermore, in the following scenario with the undead commander (scenario 4 I believe) the autosaves become invalid from turn 6. This is the turn, for me, when the western undead open up the platforms using the glyphs. I have repeated it and turn 6 remains unloadable. Any saves I make on that turn have the same effect, so I believe it is related to the platforms and glyph mechanics.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:I honestly have no ******* clue why this is happening. I encountered this bug every time. Any suggestions with AI parameters? Should I introduce the simple targeting Micro AI to side 6? :hmm:
If you could post a start-of-scenario save and a mid-scenario save demonstrating the situation, I'll see if I can figure out what is going on. I'm traveling at the moment with barely any free time though, so it might take a little.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

dracostar wrote: Furthermore, in the following scenario with the undead commander (scenario 4 I believe) the autosaves become invalid from turn 6. This is the turn, for me, when the western undead open up the platforms using the glyphs. I have repeated it and turn 6 remains unloadable. Any saves I make on that turn have the same effect, so I believe it is related to the platforms and glyph mechanics.
This is a known bug, with no solution at the moment. You can try finishing the scenario without reloading any turn. That would work.
f you could post a start-of-scenario save and a mid-scenario save demonstrating the situation, I'll see if I can figure out what is going on. I'm traveling at the moment with barely any free time though, so it might take a little.
Hmm, okay. Looks like I will be playing scenario 2 again...
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Could someone provide a replay of scenario 3 where they can kill the 2 ogres? i´m kind of a completionist and i can´t move on without getting them both, but trying again this level from the start i´m with 25 high level wolves at the moment spawned. I can only complete the level if i just make a run for the entrance of the caves or if i kill only the eastern ogre.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Could someone provide a replay of scenario 3 where they can kill the 2 ogres? i´m kind of a completionist and i can´t move on without getting them both, but trying again this level from the start i´m with 25 high level wolves at the moment spawned. I can only complete the level if i just make a run for the entrance of the caves or if i kill only the eastern ogre.
The ogre leaders die when the wolves overwhelm them, so I don't see what the big deal is. If you want to kill the ogre leaders (both of them). I recommend a Stone Titan push. The wolves can't attack the titans because they are way too strong and Stone Titans regenerate 5HP in mountains and hills. Just 3 Stone Titans should suffice.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

Because there was a message of money gain when the eastern one died, i thought the one on the west was never dead(couldn´t even get to see him because of the wave of wolves that appears from that direction), but if he their huge numbers means that he´s dead by them, then i shall just move on to the cave. At this point i still only have two level 2 of the stone elementals, three level 2 of the forest ones, 1 elemental orb and 2 sylphs.
Probably i could have more of the stone elementals but i wasted much time discovering the layout, the goodies and ways to split the units in order for the allies to not die on the second scenario, combined with the size of the map and the high number of units to kill makes it so that it´s difficult to force upon myself a replay of that level at the moment, i´ll probably do it when there´s a considerable amount of extra scenarios.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Because there was a message of money gain when the eastern one died, i thought the one on the west was never dead(couldn´t even get to see him because of the wave of wolves that appears from that direction), but if he their huge numbers means that he´s dead by them, then i shall just move on to the cave. At this point i still only have two level 2 of the stone elementals, three level 2 of the forest ones, 1 elemental orb and 2 sylphs.
The only elemental units you will ever need for this campaign are Stone Titans, Orbs, Lava Giants ( or Lava Behemoths, because they are so badass!) and Fire Ghosts. The others are not exactly necessary. You only get the gold bonus if side 1 kills both leaders.
Probably i could have more of the stone elementals but i wasted much time discovering the layout, the goodies and ways to split the units in order for the allies to not die on the second scenario,
You can level up some Kobolds in the fourth scenario.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey Lord-Knightmare!
Let's keep up that feedback giving :D

I Started the campaign over this weekend and i'm now on scenario 6 I believe.
Really good campaign until now, although kind of luck reliant from time to time.

Beating scenario 1 and the beginning of scenario 2 is kind of hard with only your hero units + loyals. I had to reload a few times because of a streak of bad luck and then a hero died. Once krog was lvl 2 it became easier, but still hard.

Scenario 3 is just the right kind of challenge with the wolves, although the underground part was a tad too easy with your allies. The wolves that are spawning is great, although I would like them to add pressure from the south. all they do right now is move in packs. Maybe once no enemy is left for them south make them all go north into the cavern? (since you have a bottleneck to defend it's not too hard to defend against them although mass suicide is still a great danger. It would also allow gaining some experience from them.

Scenario 4 is really good, if not for the bug with the rotating platforms. But it's not as bad as in...

...scenario 5. Hell!
Not only it's impossible to reload at all (because of the bug) but also you get tomato-surprised from all direction with mothereffing spectres! That can go through Cavewalls! Underground! With bad resistances against them! Seriously? :augh: I mean sure reloading every turn is not the recommended way of playing (thus it's not thaat bad that you can't reload), but this scenario really forces you to do so.
I had to restart the scenario 3 times!
I know that you need to go carefully, with strong units in front or let your allies go first, but that's just not always possible. Even using lava behemothes in front (the only effective tank against them that i found besides stone titans), they can get killed by 3 spectres at once. Guess how often I had three spectres coming out of the cave walls at once. :annoyed:
I managed it more or less on the fourth run unlock rotate the platform on turn 37, ready to beat the crap out of Yracyn and... he can only be killed by Mahir and however she's called again. Both of them are of course in the south destroying the death knight. :augh:
You know what, I just debugged myself 14 turns more and finished on turn 56. (turn_limit +10).

I just started scenario 6 and guess what, more spectres and still unable to reload. :x Ended on turn 3 when fully-healed lvl 4 krog was killed by 3 spectres at once on 50% defense.
Will have to gather some motivation before starting it again. :|
Also why do I get gold for killing those spectres? I didn't catch any story explanation for that.

Sry for rant, i had to let it out. I hope you understand my frustration. It wouldn't be so bad without the save-file corruption but still...
Please, Please, for the love of god replace all those etheral spectres with wraithes!
I also recommend making the turn_limit at least 60 on scenario 5.

All of that may sound bad, but I think your campaign has very much improved since the last version. I was really enjoying the campaign until scenario 5.
I also really like the storytelling and the AMLA's on jahin. (something that always bothered me before ^^)
Keep up the good work, but please take care of the things I noted.

I'm playing on normal by the way :)

Paulomat4
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Not only it's impossible to reload at all (because of the bug) but also you get tomato-surprised from all direction with mothereffing spectres! That can go through Cavewalls! Underground! With bad resistances against them! Seriously? :augh: I mean sure reloading every turn is not the recommended way of playing (thus it's not thaat bad that you can't reload), but this scenario really forces you to do so.
I just love Ethereal Spectres! :lol: :D :D :D
That's the whole point, but there's actually a hidden trick to make sure your saves don't get corrupted...I discovered this during my seventh play through (Yes, I ****ed the spectres 7 times in a row...It was so good to have a Lava Behemoth raping them like crazy...). If you get a spectre to trigger the rotating platform during an AI turn, the save files do NOT get corrupted. I was just amazed on how ridiculous this was. Mahir at level 3 is excellent for taking out the side 3 leader.
I just started scenario 6 and guess what, more spectres and still unable to reload. :x Ended on turn 3 when fully-healed lvl 4 krog was killed by 3 spectres at once on 50% defense.
Will have to gather some motivation before starting it again. :|
Also why do I get gold for killing those spectres? I didn't catch any story explanation for that.
I have to apologise since this Spectre group violation was intentional. :mrgreen: I wanted to keep the Spectres so I reduced the strength of the enemy forces. I kind of felt sorry for making the level this hard so I gave you a gold bonus for killing undead units. The more you kill, the more gold you accumulate, but with the upkeep this hardly makes a difference. This level is impossible at the moment...I have to rebalance this one again since the side 7 leader cannot be killed since you have to navigate through teleportation runes where you expose your units to Ethereal Spectres. Or, you can just lure him out and kill him with a level 3 Mahir.
Also, camping in your keep would be unwise since on turn 5, I gave you a very nasty surprise. ;)
Spoiler:
If you need someone to blame for the Ethereal Spectres, blame the guy who made Under the Burning Suns. His campaign gave me the idea in the first place. ;)
I also really like the storytelling and the AMLA's on jahin. (something that always bothered me before ^^)
I actually prefer the first person narrative since you get a personal touch in the story. The new AMLA is such that Jahin is not underused in later levels. Try getting him to his maxed advancement. You will not be disappointed.
I'm playing on normal by the way :)
I am testing the campaign on Normal too. :mrgreen:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I managed to avoid the invalid safe files after some tries.
If the platform is activated by one of the walking corpses from the beginning while debug mode is activated, then your save files still work
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Corrupted savefiles like this are in most cases caused by invalid variablanemes. You say is related to rotate area function and one of the first things i see in the rotation-macros.cfg file is this line

Code: Select all

[set_variable]
		name=$unit.id|_stands_on_{X}_{Y}
		value=true
	[/set_variable]
This is quiet dangerous: as soon as $unit.id contains characters like spaces or qoutes this code can create currupt saves.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

@gfgtdf: Is there any way in which I can fix this?
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

Sure there are multiple ways but none of them is that easy to do in wml. You could
1) Use an array of name,value pairs instead of using wml as a map or
2) Escapge the unit name (replace invalid cgaracter with valid ones) before using it as a name= in [set_variable] or
3) save it in a lua datastructorue and use a serialize function to store it.
maybe there is more, that the options that i could think of right now.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Daniel17022002

Post by Daniel17022002 »

1 little question, why doesn't the campaign appear in my add-on list? I have 1.12.5 version by the way.
Daniel17022002

Post by Daniel17022002 »

nevermind found it XD