An Independence War: SP campaign for 1.14/1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tamanegi

Re: An Independence War: SP campaign for 1.12

Post by tamanegi »

Thank you for playing, Konrad2! :D

,,, and what is that bug?!! ......you are really a great bug reporter... :augh:

(EDIT) If I set terrain defense of buildings to 0%, the problem seems to be solved... I am not sure why it works, though. Major updates may not be applied to 1.12.x versions anymore because I will begin porting of this campaign to 1.14 which will require vast rewrite of the whole campaign (ex. discarding obsolete features, troop image must be prepared by object instead of the buggy way).

(EDIT2) Brief strategy guide was added to the help. (version 0.2.5)
Discord: @tamanegi
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
A Group in a War: my first campaign, An Independence War: and the sequel
ichwarsnet

Post by ichwarsnet »

Hello,

first of all I’d like to thank you for this amazing campaign (and for AG too). It is really fun even though it’s a little difficult to get into it (at least compared to AG). Now keep in mind that I absolutely love this campaign (I finished it 2 times now tried 12 times on hard) because I’m going to point out some things I disliked. Since this is a long list i separated it into small segments.

I’m going to start with the fighting system. The style is really well made but there are some problems:
1.1. Riders focus riders first while this makes sense and can be/should be this way it still would be nice if you get it into the help
1.2. meele dmg splitting. If noticed that the leader seems to take less damage than other vanguard units (I’m looking at a vanguard only squad). I’m not sure if this is intentional or if I was just unlucky 10 times in a row. I also notice that units can tank more dmg than they have hp. I assume this is due to the randomly splitted dmg.
1.3. A little bit annoying is that there is no dmg overlap through vanguard/riders. I’m sure this is intentionally but fighting a ranged platoon with 1 meele and the rest ranged with and all vanguard platoon is just stupid. This leads to the problem that meele units are a lot weaker than ranged units. (Still I don’t know if this was intended or not). This is especially annoying with riders since you can’t snipe an enemie ranged boss as soon as the enemy has one rider. This seems kind of absurd if you run a rider company into a squad of ranged units with one rider. It might be useful to transform some of the dmg to the back lines if the frontline died in the battle.

Next here are some small bugs and mistakes:

2.1. The geographer on heavens peek: Rumor says there used to BE an….
2.2. You don’t lose the income if you lose a region (only tested this on hard)
2.3. You can build a watchtower onto the wrath of gaia (I assume you can do the same one the Great dragon nose)
2.4. Not sure if this can be fixed if you made your moves and start a fight (against scorpions, bandits …) finsih it and get back to the main screen you get the message that you didn’t move if you try to finish the turn. (not sure if I explained this correctly it’s no big deal either)
2.5. I asked the goblins to attack the dwarves. They started building units in the upper outpost (there was no enemy present) and sent them down. Halfway through he retreated. (I only tired this twice on hard didn’t had a problem on easy (but I gave them the order to attack the trolls))
2.6. In later Turns (also on Hard didn’t see that problem on easy/medium) during the enemy movement I was affected by a complete fog of war (I couldn’t see my own units).
2.7. Yeah the Watchtower bug you know it already I suppose (also work with engineers)

Now that’s that. Next are some recommendation of things that could be improved:

3.1. Skirmish maps are a little too big. I guess they are randomly created but the size usually wastes 5 turns and forces you to fight at night. I’m not really a fan of that since as the commander I definitely should be able to face the scorpions at day time.
3.2. Might be hard to implement: show the time it takes to watchtower to build (this might work through the hp of the tower. 5 hp is still a one-hit kill for every possible platoon).
3.3. Set the troop spawn out of the antechamber to 58,35 so your units can heal immediately. (I kept a crap leader in the base just so the “real” platoons could spawn on the house).
3.4. Building bridges with to engineer teams (well not that important but still nice).
3.5. If a spy is detected in an allied country lower the intimacy.
3.6. Give options to raise the intimacy (I found that the kalifates never liked me especially in hard).
3.7. A way to hinder enemy retreat. That would give you the option to block units into the mountain passages on the north and south gate and therefore block money of the empire/kingdom.
3.8. If you noticed that I play AG I still get the warning that I should play AG first (also no big deal just something I noticed).
3.9. An option to merge platoons together would be nice. Maybe to send units into a castle would be an option.
3.10. Stopping bandits from spawning if you hold a 4 or more men Platoon at the Fling Forest castle. Same for the mysterious desert.
3.11. A Small heal on castles/village even if the enemies are close by (This would help you to defend the gates).
3.12. It would be fun if the Alcoholics would get a buff on their race terrain (or could walk faster through the forest/walk onto the mountains).
3.13. Also not sure if you can change the AI but: The Ai focuses Paperpushers. My best triy in a hard game was to build few platoons and sacrifice paperpushers on the way.
3.14. I love the landmarks but it would be nice if something happens there (Also the geographers notes are nice but I have no idea how I should use my powers to close the wrath of gaia).
3.15. I don’t know too much about the spy mechanic regarding to when he alerts you that the empire has send money to someone but on easy you get the alert and in most cases nothing happens.
3.16. The Option to build your own castles.

Now some balancing tips for hard:

4.1. Separating the mouth/ the frontline fort from the Kingdom/Empire. I was flooded once with 1700 and 1900 gold in platoons (without the watchtowerbug)
4.2. Reduce the amount of Scorpions. I had on go where I leveled up a mage. Even though this would not be unusual I guess but it was one of the 999 exp. mages.
4.3. If I’m not mistaken the enemies get more gold on hard and you get less gold. I might be just bad but I recommend to just keep one of those options. Since you are massively flooded from all sites.

So thats all for now. Thanks again for this awesome campaign and keep in mind that all things mentioned here don't spoil the campaign to mutch. So feel free to ignore them. Also i'm looking forward to treasure hunting.
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Oh.. thank you for detailed feedback and suggestions. ;)
According to you and Konrad2, hard might be too difficult. (Honestly, I couldn't complete hard level. :P )
I will fix issues and game balance (especially in hard). Some of them seem to be difficult to fix, though. :hmm:

For these following two issues,
2.2. You don’t lose the income if you lose a region (only tested this on hard)
2.3. You can build a watchtower onto the wrath of gaia (I assume you can do the same one the Great dragon nose)
You are right and I also know them. The former is not disadvantageous to players and it doesn't happen frequently. (And, the fix is a bit tedious :oops: ) So I intentionally let it be. The latter may be a bug but nothing serious for usual gameplay. I don't plan any fixes about it at least for now.
2.4. Not sure if this can be fixed if you made your moves and start a fight (against scorpions, bandits …) finsih it and get back to the main screen you get the message that you didn’t move if you try to finish the turn. (not sure if I explained this correctly it’s no big deal either)
I may understand what you wanna say. In short, I know this issue but I don't know how to fix. After the skirmish, things are restored as before except for the troop involved in skirmish; pretending to be a mid-turn. But for the game engine, it never be a mid-turn, it is the beginning of the turn. If you did nothing after the skirmish, game engine supposes you did nothing in this turn. I don't know how to cheat the engine...

# treasure hunting (for gold or troop ability) won't be implemented in 1.12 cycle... :P

EDIT: 2.2 is turned out to be easy. I will try to fix it.
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

(Sorry for repeated post)

Version 0.2.6 released
- activation of Empire is significantly delayed
- income values are rebalanced
- if ally defeated, income decreases
- Fling bandits no longer spawn once empire is activated
- scorpions and orcish raiding party do not spawn within vision area
- your income does not depend on the difficulty level
- modify introduction message according to ichwarsnet
- update manual text (rider attacks and hexes around Fusia)
- shooter attack damage is significantly reduced if no guards and riders
- heals in adjacent hexes to Fusia
- fix Engineers, Flag, Paperpusher defense
- skirmish map shrinks to 15x15
- add turn number in building watchtower/foodstorage (using icons-numbers.png)
sample_building.png
sample_building.png (27.5 KiB) Viewed 8531 times
- if in the castle or village, heals slightly even when enemies adjacent
- updatejapanese translation
- minor fixes
- (in-game manual is also updated)

to ichwarsnet:
Spoiler:
Mathel

Post by Mathel »

I have found a bug.
Spoiler:
I was splitting squads and for whatever reason, this tent became appeared in the antechamber.

Also, I have 3 Engineers, but when I click next to any of them to build/destroy a building, the first one recruited reacts. That is, the first one of them speaks, and if any building is being built, the first one has no move. Also, I can not build/destroy, while a building is being built, because the first engineer says that they are already building something.
Attachments
What_Happened.gz
Savefile
(787.29 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Thank you for the report, Mathel :)
I couldn't find the reason for the first bug... It is completely unexpected and I cannot understand what to be fixed. Please report me if you met this one again. :hmm:

For the second one, this is apparently a bug. Only single Engineer group is allowed in game. It is simply because they are too useful. I forgot to add codes to disallow recruit of Engineers if you already have one. (I guess you recruited Engineers at the office after the death of first group of Engineers.)

The fixed version, 0.2.7, was uploaded to addon server. ;)
Rovik

Post by Rovik »

Hi!
I have a bug with building foodstorages: when they're built they become invisible. Also they stop providing food for my army, but money for their maintenance are still consumed. Seems Fusia engineers were involved in some corruption schemes :P
Anyway, good job! It's really interesting to play your campaign ))
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

:augh: :augh:
Thanks, Rovik! I have fixed the bug and uploaded 0.3.0beta2 to the addon server.

If you can enter any of skirmish map (bandit, scorpion, or orcish raid etc.) or restart from the skirmish map, the invisible foodstorage might be virtually removed from your current game...

# the invisible foodstorage is in your recall list (not accessible, though) due to my silly typo. :augh:
pauxlo

Re: An Independence War: SP campaign for 1.12/1.14

Post by pauxlo »

Hi, I just re-downloaded this add-on (0.3.0beta3) for 1.14 (a fresh compile of the 1.14 branch from today).
Trying hard this time (I finished an earlier version on medium), I used the offered "little bonus" option because I finished "A Group in a War" previously.

When trying to show the status of my own troop (either in the field or in the antechamber), I just get a Lua error (and nothing else happens).

Code: Select all

20181104 20:07:40 error scripting/lua: ~add-ons/An_Independence_War/lua/status.lua:344: attempt to concatenate a nil value (local 'trait_name')
stack traceback:
	~add-ons/An_Independence_War/lua/status.lua:344: in function '.show_status_preshow_sub'
	~add-ons/An_Independence_War/lua/status.lua:356: in function '.show_status_preshow'
	[C]: in field 'show_dialog'
	~add-ons/An_Independence_War/lua/status.lua:374: in function '.aiw_show_status_table'
	[string "..."]:2: in local 'bytecode'
	lua/wml-tags.lua:272: in local 'cmd'
	lua/wml-utils.lua:145: in field 'handle_event_commands'
	lua/wml-flow.lua:6: in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:5>
Same when I choose the add/remove members option.
AIW-Field Runde 2-b.gz
(609.7 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
Another one: When a unit levels up as part of a "hidden" fight (e.g. a fight on the overview map against other peoples, not against bandits/agents/raiders/orcs, it afterwards shows without any hit points (just a single /) in the troop status list. (I didn't yet let those units fight in a visible fight, so no idea how many actual hitpoints they have.)
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

:augh: :augh: :augh: ...orz

Those terrible bugs are fixed (0.3.0beta5). Thx, pauxlo!
If you can enter a Skirmish, those fixes will be applied... sorry for the inconvenience... :(

status window problem:
I failed to remove "assisted" ability in the end of AG, this caused the issue. (AG is also fixed)
The same issue for "tough" and "impenetrable" abilities are also fixed.

max HP problem upon level up:
I might have added buggy code recently... Sorry.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Thanks for the update. I can confirm that I now can see the status for my own company of two.

Unfortunately this seems to have made it worse, now the game is freezing when going back from the castle to the main map.
Same happens if I enter a skirmish and retreat and come back to the main map (the only skirmish I had available was with my two-leaders company against the insurgents, so I didn't actually want to fight right now).

(This is a save-game from before the change, loaded after upgrading the add-on.)
AIW-Field-Autospeichern69.gz
(647.91 KiB) Downloaded 484 times
If I instead load from just before the end of a previous skirmish, and finish that one, it works better.
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

:augh: :augh: ...... :roll:

New version 0.3.0beta6 uploaded.
  • fix: there was an infinite loop when restoring agents (occurred when exiting from the Office or Skirmish)
  • fix: treasures disappearing bug when brought back to Fusia
  • fix: rider damage was ignored in some case
  • fix: unit selection menu bug
Thanks again, pauxlo! :D
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

• fix: treasures disappearing bug when brought back to Fusia
Ah, I thought I just missed the treasure applying to some troop. Thanks for fixing what I didn't even mention.

I got another one:
  • ask merfolk to join (via Naga), get a map (unfortunately very inaccessible in Kingdom territory)
  • at some later point, ask Naga again to ask merfolk, confirm
  • → WML error message about "[remove_event] missing required id= key
Attachments
AIW-Field-Autospeichern27.gz
(630.42 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

:augh: Oh... What is this empty tag...? I might forget to write this part... :P

Thank you again and again, pauxlo! :D
That bug is fixed and new version 0.3.0beta7 is uploaded.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

One tiny thing: A commander of a squad got enough exploit to become a platoon, but the message said "the troop becomes a squad".
AIW-Field-Autospeichern45.gz
(637.88 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
Another one, which might or might not be intended: Some turns back, I asked the goblins to help me against the trolls. They said "yes", but didn't send any troops.

Another quirk: The "show status of this group" doesn't always agree with the "members" count in the side bar. Marreorer Squad (near Fusia) has four members, but only three are shown in the status list (the fourth one is a spearman I just added).
AIW-Field Runde 112-c.gz
(637.06 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
And if I want to see the status of enemy leaders, I sometimes get WML errors, too – "attempt to compare string with number" now for the Dunefolk capital.