Genesis 0.2.12 [1.14/1.15] [Ep 1 complete]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sadaharu

Re: Genesis 0.2.6 [1.12/1.14] [Ep 1 complete]

Post by Sadaharu »

Hi again! I've made it to Moonlit Night and defeated the Ephemeral Angel… sort of. When I defeat the LV.6 version everything works properly, then when I defeat the Lv.7 version with Aryel I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

<Lua error> lua/wml-tags.lua:281:Error: Attempted to access an invalid music track
stack traceback:
[C]: in metamethod '__newindex'
lua/wml-tags.lua:281: in function <lua/wml-tags.lua:275>
(...tail calls...)
~add-ons/Genesis/lua/common.lua:373: in local 'cmd'
lua/wml-utils.lua:145: in field 'handle_event_commands'
lua/wml-flow.lua:6 in function <lua/wml-flow.lua:5>
If I defeat her with Yumi instead I get an expanded version of the error message:

Code: Select all

<Lua error> lua/wml-tags.lua:281:Error: Attempted to access an invalid music track
stack traceback:
[C]: in metamethod '__newindex'
lua/wml-tags.lua:281: in function <lua/wml-tags.lua:275>
(...tail calls...)
~add-ons/Genesis/lua/common.lua:373: in local 'cmd'
[C]: in field 'fire_event'
lua/wml/kill.lua:42: in field 'kill'
lua/wml/harm_unit.lua:182: in local 'cmd'
and the game goes on without the Ethereal Angel, regardless of who deals the final blow. Then the various demons invariably gang up on my weakened Aryel/Esther and kill her and I lose the game, so I haven't been able to check it out any further.

EDIT: I've found that if I go to the preferences settings from the main screen, turn off music and game sounds and then load the savegame from before and then deal the last blow there's no trouble - with quick reflexes I re-accessed the Preferences tab and re-enabled sounds after Luna said ‘The darkness... is fading...’ and it appears to be proceeding normally.

I've now replayed it with all sounds enabled from the beginning and cannot replicate the mistake. :shock:
I've checked the entire .cfg file and couldn't find anything, but I'm not good at WML.

So… well, I don't know what's going on anymore.
The only difference in circumstances I can find is that when I got the mistake I had music off and sounds on, then today I had both music and sounds off, it worked without a hitch, and now it's working with music and sounds on from the beginning.

Aside from that, the Lv.4 Incubus units that spawn when I kill the earlier form of Luna have no pictures, and on debug mode I just get an ‘image not found’ message.
Sadaharu

Post by Sadaharu »

So, time for the positives.

Great story. Good ending, nothing given away, hints at the future, no unnecessary early reveals, all the major characters are well-developed, there is a sense of suspense not just to how close some of the battles are but also to the story itself… it's not just a good story but also a well-told one.

There's great game mechanics involved, too. The puzzles make for a nice change and are acceptably difficult, i.e. they can be solved but they are still a challenge. And they also contribute to the story.

Thanks so much for this campaign. If there's ever a new instalment I hope I'll be able to play(test?) it.
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Sadaharu wrote: September 8th, 2019, 5:36 am There's great game mechanics involved, too. The puzzles make for a nice change and are acceptably difficult, i.e. they can be solved but they are still a challenge. And they also contribute to the story.
I feel it too.

Those puzzle challenges makes me trouble, but it worked. The hardest challenge is gylph puzzle on scenario "Crypt".
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Sadaharu, hmm, I'll look at see what that bug might be, but if you can't replicate it, I don't know if I can fix it. :hmm:

I'll look at the Inucbi as well, though I have a very different structure set up for episode 2, so probably that bug in the next version (which is coming... but reallllly slowly >_>)

Thanks for the comments.
Kylix

Post by Kylix »

In the scenario "Crypt" I have to activate the glyphs in the correct order. How is it? I don't know how to advance!
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

Kylix wrote: November 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm In the scenario "Crypt" I have to activate the glyphs in the correct order. How is it? I don't know how to advance!
Others have gotten stuck here before... :whistle:

https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.ph ... 45#p591810
WackoJacko

Post by WackoJacko »

Hey nemaara,
I've just started your campaign and was wondering if the inability to full heal after levelling up was intentional for the heroes? I've done a search using "heal" and had a brief look in the this thread but haven't been unable to find anything. I'm playing on Normal and running 1.14.7 (i think :)).
Thanks!

EDIT:
Possible bug in Glacial Shrine
Spoiler:
EDIT 2:
Black Cauldron, there was an unclear direction given (hidden in spoiler tab)
Spoiler:
Ran into the same bug as Sadaharu, at the Gardens in the Upper District
Spoiler:
With regards to the full heal when choosing ALMAs, it happens for regular units too, so it seems to be intentional :D

I've done some reading on the forums and have noticed that the bonuses Esther can gather in the Upper District are nearly essential for later scenarios, is it just the two that she gains?
BlueBloodWork

Post by BlueBloodWork »

Hi nemaara,
while playing the campaign I came across 2 issues as well:
Spoiler:
2. With this one I don't know whether it is intended or not , but I try to point it out: While leveling up the 4 main characters you can choose between 3 bonuses (I think it's this ALMA thing?) and the XP needed for the next lvl up are increasing significantly. This worked well until Yumi needed like 1,6k XP. After this lvl the XP went back to 60-80 and the bonuses were only +1 damage for one ability (+1 strike for the void assault), I came across this issue (if it is one) with Talya as well and very quick compared to Yumi.

But this didn't stop me from having a great time playing Genesis!
imaginarypotato

Post by imaginarypotato »

Campaign was pretty good until I got to Iron Crescent

I've been stuck on the puzzle for an hour now, I did the first part but I cannot figure out the second. I think the text is supposed to help me, but its to vague and half of the buttons just don't make any sense. I also don't know if I'm supposed to stand on the Glyph first, it worked for the first one but it does not look like its working for the second. Also I'm not playing with sound on, is their anything audio based I need to hear?

The previous puzzles were already pretty hard, one of them I just guessed every possible combination of actions and I really don't want to do it again.

Also not related to whats above but in the level were the enemies reflected my attacks, annoyed be a bit because I leveled up my leaders and because my strong attacks were getting reflected it felt like I was being punished for playing well prior to that level and the game never told me that might be a bad idea(I had to waste all of my gold to win).
NEW username -> Imaginary
nemaara
Developer

Post by nemaara »

WackoJacko wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 9:04 am Hey nemaara,
I've just started your campaign and was wondering if the inability to full heal after levelling up was intentional for the heroes? I've done a search using "heal" and had a brief look in the this thread but haven't been unable to find anything. I'm playing on Normal and running 1.14.7 (i think :)).
Thanks!

EDIT:
Possible bug in Glacial Shrine
Spoiler:
EDIT 2:
Black Cauldron, there was an unclear direction given (hidden in spoiler tab)
Spoiler:
Ran into the same bug as Sadaharu, at the Gardens in the Upper District
Spoiler:
With regards to the full heal when choosing ALMAs, it happens for regular units too, so it seems to be intentional :D

I've done some reading on the forums and have noticed that the bonuses Esther can gather in the Upper District are nearly essential for later scenarios, is it just the two that she gains?
1. Yes, inability to heal is intentional.

2. I'll make a note of the other bugs.

3. I wouldn't say Esther's bonuses are essential (at least I can play without them). There should only be 2.
BlueBloodWork wrote: January 15th, 2020, 7:37 pm Hi nemaara,
while playing the campaign I came across 2 issues as well:
Spoiler:
2. With this one I don't know whether it is intended or not , but I try to point it out: While leveling up the 4 main characters you can choose between 3 bonuses (I think it's this ALMA thing?) and the XP needed for the next lvl up are increasing significantly. This worked well until Yumi needed like 1,6k XP. After this lvl the XP went back to 60-80 and the bonuses were only +1 damage for one ability (+1 strike for the void assault), I came across this issue (if it is one) with Talya as well and very quick compared to Yumi.

But this didn't stop me from having a great time playing Genesis!
1. She shouldn't have any portrait, if she does that's wrong.

2. That's how I have the exp scheme set up, you get an "ultimate" ability, then after that you can only get stat boosts. It means you've reached the end of the AMLA tree essentially. :p
imaginarypotato wrote: February 7th, 2020, 2:03 am Campaign was pretty good until I got to Iron Crescent

I've been stuck on the puzzle for an hour now, I did the first part but I cannot figure out the second. I think the text is supposed to help me, but its to vague and half of the buttons just don't make any sense. I also don't know if I'm supposed to stand on the Glyph first, it worked for the first one but it does not look like its working for the second. Also I'm not playing with sound on, is their anything audio based I need to hear?

The previous puzzles were already pretty hard, one of them I just guessed every possible combination of actions and I really don't want to do it again.

Also not related to whats above but in the level were the enemies reflected my attacks, annoyed be a bit because I leveled up my leaders and because my strong attacks were getting reflected it felt like I was being punished for playing well prior to that level and the game never told me that might be a bad idea(I had to waste all of my gold to win).
Spoiler:
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

I played it and I liked it. Indeed, I m waiting the rest of the story. By the way, my campaign (the dark master and its prequel the dark hordes) is related to yours,too. thank you
Teotl

Post by Teotl »

Been a lurker for about 5 years now, felt like making a forums account today after playing this campaign. I wanted to write this little review
(no major spoilers in this)

In a game were most mods don't use anything other then the default units, Genesis is a pleasant surprise since it brings so much new. What sets it apart the most though is that it's just beautiful; all of the new units, music, terrain and sound effects are really well done. I wish there was more portraits, but I understand why they are not so many since they are pretty hard to make. The story is very detailed and the main characters feel like actual people that are both likeable and hate able

A lot of mods get their difficulties wrong but this one does not, even playing on normal mode it became clear to me very quickly why this it is expert difficulty. But the challenge is welcome since there is a lot of enemy variety, it makes the levels feel unique each time and there is not much repetitiveness. There is some repetition though, since you don't get many units to work with. For most of the campaign your using mostly faeries and there are only 3 basic kinds. Dusk fairy only gets one level 3 choice and the line just upgrades its stats. The spite gets 2 but the forest spirit kind of sucks, it has the abitily to heal 5 in forests cool but there is not an abundance of forests and you have access to better healing as well; it has resistances but thats really it dryad felt much more reliable to me. No complaints about the shaman, other then it being pretty similar to the mainline elvish shaman. You get undead, but they are underwhelming since there are so many magical attacks hitting skeletons effectively and ghosts accurately. You get some humans but rough terrain makes them less useful then they could be; a few humans like the white mage and lieutenant ended up being pretty helpful but you can't recruit them.

Your playing most of the levels with your leaders as the main focus so its not a big deal but I would like to see more allied variety in part 2.

On the topic of repetition in some levels you only get your leaders and ghosts to work with and those levels felt a bit irritating since there is not much strategy you can do with ghosts (equal defenses on all terrain makes their positioning super basic and you can't level them up ether). In one level you get 3 different kinds of ghosts, I think it would be cool if some of the other ghost only levels also had new options. Also in one ghost levels Silent night, it says that Aryel can recruit them but she acutally can't (Yumi still could), I could not beat that level legit because of that bug.

There was another bug that took place in the levels that technically had no objective and were just used to let the characters travel (great idea btw) or talk. What happened was all of the tiles would be highlighted black until I moved my mouse over them or moved a unit. But when the characters were talking, I could not acutally see the screen or who was talking, just the text below. This made it a bit hard to tell who is saying what, in some levels only 2 or 3 talked but in others when even more spoke (especially the last level) its hard to follow along. It looks like it's the games fault though and this did not happen in traditional levels (if anyone has a working reply of the last level, I would like to see it please)

picture of the bug, this is on wesnoth 1.14.11 (steam)
broken.png

Thats all I have to say, excellent campaign. Handful of issues and missed opportunities, but it's still absolutely worth playing.
imaginarypotato

Post by imaginarypotato »

nemaara wrote: February 8th, 2020, 8:58 pm
Spoiler:

I got past and finished campaign. The puzzle became a lot easier once i realized that not all of the words are related to the puzzle, expect the one were I had to spell out a certain four letter word starting with N; that one was by far the hardest part in the entire campaign. As a whole it was pretty good can't wait for part 2.
Teotl wrote: February 9th, 2020, 1:48 am
There was another bug that took place in the levels that technically had no objective and were just used to let the characters travel (great idea btw) or talk. What happened was all of the tiles would be highlighted black until I moved my mouse over them or moved a unit. But when the characters were talking, I could not acutally see the screen or who was talking, just the text below. This made it a bit hard to tell who is saying what, in some levels only 2 or 3 talked but in others when even more spoke (especially the last level) its hard to follow along. It looks like it's the games fault though and this did not happen in traditional levels (if anyone has a working reply of the last level, I would like to see it please)

picture of the bug, this is on wesnoth 1.14.11 (steam)
broken.png
Your right that its a bug related to weasnoth and not Genesis. It also happened to me during my play through (exact same version) and its appeared in other campaigns I've played as well.
Nemaara could fix the bug manually but it would involve rewriting a couple levels and slightly changing how they work in the progress. It's probably not worth doing it though since the bug will be fixed eventually by the game developers. Alternatively you could downgrade weanoth so the bug wont appear at all.
NEW username -> Imaginary
Blothren

Post by Blothren »

Hi Nemaraa
I just finished the Genesis Episode I and want to congratulate you for making it. I'm looking forward to Episode II!
I didn't have too many annoying bugs, and the ones I had were mentioned earlier, so I really liked the campaign. It was probably the best campaign I have ever played, although I didn't play too many campaigns yet.
Congratulations!
Zaklog

Stuck on Black Cauldron

Post by Zaklog »

I could use some help on the Black Cauldron scenario. I've found Aryel. I tried following the tunnels to where the key is supposed to be, and I can't find it in time. The closest I think I've gotten is a large room with a peninsula of land surrounded by lava, but I didn't trigger any plot elements when I entered there. Can someone please tell me where I'm supposed to go next?