Campaign: The Wesfolk War (On the Green Isle)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eldaric

Campaign: The Wesfolk War (On the Green Isle)

Post by Eldaric »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post. Maybe someone has already made a campaign about this, but I couldn't find anything when I searched through this section of the forums. If I missed it, please let me know.

I'm working on making a campaign about the war on the Green Isle between the inhabitants of the Green Isle (such as Haldric's ancestors) and the Wesfolk who are fleeing a war in the distant West. As per the background in TRoW, this conflict is where the people of the Green Isle first discovered and developed magic. This could give it an interesting and unique feel compared to other "mysterious invasion" campaigns.

What do people think? Has this been done already? Am I on to something cool? Any general or specific advice?

I have several maps completed, and I'm going to code up a preliminary version of the game soon.

Thanks in advance!

PS: procedural questions: the rules say you can't plagiarize. Does that mean that portraits and custom units from other campaigns are off-limits for me to use? How about maps from other campaigns (considering that the Green Isle is fairly small, it would make sense to re-use a few of the maps from TRoW with edits). Is it against the rules to basically copy the code from another scenerio and edit it (a lot easier that writing entirely original code)?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Campaign: The Wesfolk War (On the Green Isle)

Post by zookeeper »

Eldaric wrote:PS: procedural questions: the rules say you can't plagiarize. Does that mean that portraits and custom units from other campaigns are off-limits for me to use? How about maps from other campaigns (considering that the Green Isle is fairly small, it would make sense to re-use a few of the maps from TRoW with edits). Is it against the rules to basically copy the code from another scenerio and edit it (a lot easier that writing entirely original code)?
Using portraits, units, maps, code and whatever from other campaigns is fine, as long as you don't try to pass them off as your own. Mainline campaigns you can plunder however you wish, but if you utilize major parts of some other UMC, it'd be polite to mention that somewhere (such as in the campaign credits, by dropping a note to the original author, etc).

Of course, you may want to avoid things such as taking a main character portrait and using it for a different character, not because it's forbidden but because it can be confusing and iffy.
Eldaric

Post by Eldaric »

zookeeper wrote:Using portraits, units, maps, code and whatever from other campaigns is fine, as long as you don't try to pass them off as your own. Mainline campaigns you can plunder however you wish, but if you utilize major parts of some other UMC, it'd be polite to mention that somewhere (such as in the campaign credits, by dropping a note to the original author, etc).
Ok sounds very reasonable. I'll be sure to credit even the mainline campaigns. I honestly hadn't thought of making credits yet, but that's something I'll have to do. I obviously would never try to pass something off as my own if it wasn't.
zookeeper wrote: Of course, you may want to avoid things such as taking a main character portrait and using it for a different character, not because it's forbidden but because it can be confusing and iffy.
That is an excellent point. At the same time, it's nice to be able to distinguish characters from stock units, so maybe I could use some more minor characters from mainline campaigns?

Here's one problem however: with humans there aren't many female stock units. There are female magi, and female thieves and bandits, but neither really work very well for my purposes due to the following:
- I intend to start the story with the Wesfolk arriving and initially beating back the people of The Green Isle with their dark magic and undead.
- Then, after some research, the people of The Green Isle develop magic, and start to turn the tide of the war.
Since there are some very cool female mage units and portraits, I'd like to be able to have at least one (preferably two or three) female characters who are with you from the beginning, and then become magi. However, thieves and bandits are on the wrong side of this conflict. I'm thinking of editing the colors of a thief (both unit and portrait), but would also love to use the warrior princess Lisar from HttT, because she's awesome, and actually looks a lot like the portrait for the level 3 Mage of Light in facial structure.

Anyway, my eventual intention is to get in touch with some of the great artists on the forum, and maybe solicit their help to design original portraits if they're so inclined (sounds like a lot of work for them honestly). But in the meantime, I'll have to use something so people can play and give feedback.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

If you're after more female units, I have a few on my computer that I've taken from various places. I can't remember where I got them from, maybe someone can identify the era and/or artist? All three of these have animation frames which I can post if you're interested.
Attachments
witch.png
witch.png (3.23 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
cunning-woman.png
cunning-woman.png (2.62 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
avatar.png (3.19 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Eldaric

Post by Eldaric »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:If you're after more female units, I have a few on my computer that I've taken from various places. I can't remember where I got them from, maybe someone can identify the era and/or artist? All three of these have animation frames which I can post if you're interested.
Those looks great! I'd love to get all of the images for them - could you upload a zip file? I'll definitely need to know who to credit as well.

I just edited the portrait and unit images of a thief and rouge female to make a new unit. What do people think? Not the greatest job, but it's as good as I can do on short time. I mean yeah, she still looks like a thief, but she's different, which can distinguish her from the bad guys. The idea is that I need some non-mage and non-bandit female units to start my story. Then these characters will eventually become magi halfway through the campaign.
Attachments
thief+female.png
thief+female.png (3.55 KiB) Viewed 3625 times
portiat-thief+female.png
portiat-thief+female.png (130.48 KiB) Viewed 3625 times
Eldaric

Post by Eldaric »

Here are some screenshots of the maps I have made. Any feedback? Basically, I'm trying to flesh out the rest of The Green Isle, while still keeping the locations integral to the story. I've included a map of The Green Isle from TRoW for reference. None of the below locations were shown in TRoW.

This is the original map of the Green Isle from TRoW. I'm using it here for reference.
the_green_isle_lables_original.png
1: This is how I imagine one of the bays on the western shore would look like. The Wesfolk originally landed on the western shore, so this could be the first scenario.
WestBay 30x20.png
2: This is how I imagine "Jevan's Haven" might have looked before it became the capital of the Wesfolk people. This could be the second scenario, where the protagonists discover that the Wesfolk are capable of dark magic and summoning undead.
North Bay 44x33.png
3: Here's how I imagine the mountains in the center would be. A high pass with meadows and small lakes between the mountains. I'm concerned this map might be too large, so I'll see how it plays when I test run it. I'm thinking perhaps that the protagonists follow a dark sorcerer into these mountains, and find him mining for magical gemstones. This could be the beginning of the discovery of magic, where they find that different stones have different properties.
High Pass 54x30.png
4: This is how I imagine the forest in the north to look. I'm thinking that after they've gone through the mountains and discovered the magical gem stones, they follow a second sorcerer into these northern woods, and find him attacking Woses for their magical wood. The protagonists discover that they can use the naturally fallen branches of Woses for wands and staffs without killing Woses directly.
NorthWood 42x30.png
Thoughts? I'm thinking after this, some time goes by, and you're able to recruit magi. TRoW gives several hints to battles that happened during the Wesfolk War (such as Lich Point and the Swamp of Esten) and I intend to depict these later.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I don't recall any campaign featuring the Wesfolk invasion. Seems like a a good choice of a period to explore in a campaign.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

An indirect prequel to TRoW? This sounds interesting... :D
If you need a play-tester for your UMC, feel free to send me a PM (since I don't have any good UMCs left to play). :mrgreen:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Eldaric

Post by Eldaric »

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'll try to put something together this coming week. I would love some play testers.
Eldaric

Post by Eldaric »

Update: Yes, it has been 6 years since I made these posts. I actually created the first 5 scenarios of this campaign back then and tested them, and then other things in life came up. Now, 6 years later, I'm back on the wagon of trying to pull off this new campaign. I will post more information shortly. Thankfully, I saved my old maps. Unfortunately, the old code I wrote is no longer compatible with the latest version of the game, so I am in the midst of updating code, writing story, and more maps.

No one else has made a Green Isle Wesfolk War prequel to The Rise of Wesnoth in the past 6 years since I first made this post? Going for it!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Eldaric wrote: July 28th, 2021, 3:56 pm Update: Yes, it has been 6 years since I made these posts. I actually created the first 5 scenarios of this campaign back then and tested them, and then other things in life came up. Now, 6 years later, I'm back on the wagon of trying to pull off this new campaign. I will post more information shortly. Thankfully, I saved my old maps. Unfortunately, the old code I wrote is no longer compatible with the latest version of the game, so I am in the midst of updating code, writing story, and more maps.

No one else has made a Green Isle Wesfolk War prequel to The Rise of Wesnoth in the past 6 years since I first made this post? Going for it!
During your 6 year hiatus, the maps for Green Isle and others were re-done, also, since I have no clue how many major version updates it's been since 2015, you may want to re-start the code from ground zero. I am told the map files have a new format or something.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Eldaric

Post by Eldaric »

I actually just replayed the first half of The Rise of Wesnoth to see if the maps have changed, and they've changed a bit, but not much. I will take those changes into account.

The maps for The South Guard have changed a TON. Why? In my opinion, that campaign had some of the nicest map designs ever! I'm glad I saved the package contents from the old version because those maps were great.

Yes, I am re-starting the code from ground zero. Only using the old code as reference to remember anything I did that is still worth doing in hindsight.
Ashmyr

Post by Ashmyr »

Any updates?
Novice campaign creator.
Developer of "Dwarvish Kingdom" for 1.14.x; intermediate Dwarvish campaign. Any and all constructive feedback, is greatly appreciated! If you have played it, please DM me :)
More campaigns to come soon :)