(W.I.P.) The Rod of Justice [1.12/1.14]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Espros

(W.I.P.) The Rod of Justice [1.12/1.14]

Post by Espros »

Background
This campaign is set after the Fall, approximately at/around 120 DE, with units from the Era of Chaos + the Default Era. Join Devanar - the son of an Aragwaith captain and a long-disappeared dark sorceress, Adria - a mysterious dark faerie with ties to an elementalist, and Mal Idyr - an ancient lich who once served the last true Emperor of Wesnoth, on a journey to recover the only known artifact that can save their nation. Along the way they'll discover their enemy, the near-unstoppable and newly-leading Demon Lord Erya, is just as desperate to acquire the same artifact.
TRoJNewScreenshot.PNG
TRoJNewScreenshot.PNG (417.57 KiB) Viewed 5982 times
Intermediate level, 26 scenarios, 5 of which are story-only.
Interesting Tidbits
- Era of Chaos units
- Diverse recruit list that grows as the campaign progresses
- Special boss battle scenarios
- Shoutouts to artifacts and figures in Wesnoth's history
- Lots of UMC music

Future Goals/Ideas
- Get around to commissioning some sprite + portrait art
- Continue fine-tuning the campaign

Dependencies
- (for 1.12) Era of Chaos
- (for 1.14) TRoJ Music Pack
Some Known Issues
Understating the issue, all four boss battles are too hard as of right now - I'm going to implement my first stab at reworking them + giving the player better guidance about how and when to attack within the next release.
In the event you want to be absolutely sure you don't miss anything, below is a list of all acquirable items and loyal units within the campaign - open at your own risk.
Spoiler:

Good luck, and have fun! Feedback is greatly appreciated - balancing, grammar typos, or just any general things you can think of/would like to say! Now available on 1.12 and 1.14! :)
Last edited by Espros on February 20th, 2021, 5:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
Raijer

Re: (W.I.P.) The Rod of Justice

Post by Raijer »

Works well so far, I like the story. Just a small problem: when levelling up, Adria loses her teleport and sylvan spark ability.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I like it very much too. Seems like a start to an epic adventure!
Just a small problem: when levelling up, Adria loses her teleport and sylvan spark ability.
Same goes for the ambush ability from that loyal trapper you get in the first scenario. Btw, he isn't recalled automatically in cscenario 2
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Espros

Post by Espros »

Raijer wrote:Works well so far, I like the story. Just a small problem: when levelling up, Adria loses her teleport and sylvan spark ability.
Paulomat4 wrote: Same goes for the ambush ability from that loyal trapper you get in the first scenario. Btw, he isn't recalled automatically in cscenario 2
Fixed! Made some changes to Arthyn and patched up the ability loss with him and Adria. Arthyn is also now recalled at the beginning of scenarios 2 & 4 like Mergubraesh. Will be released in the 0.0.2 update ^_^
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I finished scenario 1 right on the turn limit so I didn’t have enough gold to be of any use in the next scenario, it seems.

Scenario 2 has no turn limit per se (turn_limit=-1), but from the WML it looks like it does have an event that takes place on a specific turn later to end the scenario. Is there a specific reason why this wasn’t made the actual turn limit instead so players could manage their gold and recruits better?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Espros

Post by Espros »

Hmm, I've encountered that issue a few times and I've done a little experimenting, but ultimately what I'll do for scenario 1 is add 3-5 turns to each difficulty turn limit amount in the 0.0.2 release so the player has some breathing room and an actual chance at an early finish bonus. The imp reinforcements and the Lorekeeper's deadliness at night are definitely some intervening obstacles. I just scanned through my WML and realized I didn't really have defined minimum starting amounts in scenarios 2 & 4 so that'll be fixed as well. As for scenario two, I was a little iffy about that when I first made it. I kept going back and forth between my .cfg file and esr's Campaign How-To :lol: . I wanted there to be an air of mystery (Are the reinforcements coming back? Has Erya done away with the other 7 members of The Convocation?) but not an air of confusion leaving the player with an unspecific objective and 18+ shaxthals to fend off. On second thought, it's probably a better idea for me to actually make the turn limit 16 so the player has some semblance of how long they need to hold off the enemy. So to answer your question, it was for theatrics but can (and will in the next update) easily be replaced to make the scenario more strategically ergonomic.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

A minor thing, but maybe it's important from a marketing viewpoint:
After connecting to the campaign server, I get the following warning

'The_Rod_of_Justice' has an icon which cannot be found: 'core/images/items/staff.png'

And there is no icon for it in the add-on list. I think using just "items/staff.png" will fix it.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Espros

Post by Espros »

doofus-01 wrote:A minor thing, but maybe it's important from a marketing viewpoint:
After connecting to the campaign server, I get the following warning

'The_Rod_of_Justice' has an icon which cannot be found: 'core/images/items/staff.png'

And there is no icon for it in the add-on list. I think using just "items/staff.png" will fix it.
I was wondering how detailed I needed the path to be but wasn't sure :doh: , thank you for clearing this up! I fixed that in the .pbl and there will be an icon in the 0.0.2 release.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hmm, your campaign sounds promising to me. I shall celebrate the end of my Wesbreak by playing your campaign. :D
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Espros

Post by Espros »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:Hmm, your campaign sounds promising to me. I shall celebrate the end of my Wesbreak by playing your campaign. :D
Haha, thank you very much ^_^ ! I hope you enjoy it! On that note, I'd like to announce that version 0.0.2 is now downloadable on the 1.12.2 add-on server!

Changes included below:
Spoiler:
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Good job! It is an interesting idea.
I liked the idea of everyone allying(all factions like saurians, undead, lawbreakers etc.)

One problem- The map of scenario 1 is WAY TOO LARGE!
Espros

Post by Espros »

gweddeoran wrote:Good job! It is an interesting idea.
I liked the idea of everyone allying(all factions like saurians, undead, lawbreakers etc.)

One problem- The map of scenario 1 is WAY TOO LARGE!
Thank you! I did my best to keep it somewhere in the scope of slightly original :lol: . Yes, that map is huge. Lots of unused space, come to think of it. In the next release I'll shrink down the dimensions and add a village or two to fix that. I've finished scenario 8, and I'm about 1/3 of the way through scenario 9 (most of the scenario is interactive and event driven with lots of story text, so I still have to finish two events for Mal Idyr and then one grand event that ends the scenario) so stay tuned (or whatever it is Wesnothians do in the lulls between great adventures ;) ).
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello, I've started playing this add-on/DLC on Mac OS Yosemite and Wesnoth 1.13.1 and the game basically crashes upon loading the second scenario.

The first level was pretty easy, and gave me an excellent opportunity to get a levelled healer unit, and a few level ones that are close to advancing. The story has a nice (but not unique) introduction. I look to forward to playing this campaign when the bug gets fixed. :)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Espros

Post by Espros »

After a long hiatus due to school and trying to juggle various other things, I've finally completed the next update of this campaign (I know it's been over a year, but I am determined to finish this massive story that I've started).

Changelog below! (There are now 11 playable scenarios)
Version 0.07
Spoiler:
Lord-Knightmare wrote:Hello, I've started playing this add-on/DLC on Mac OS Yosemite and Wesnoth 1.13.1 and the game basically crashes upon loading the second scenario.

The first level was pretty easy, and gave me an excellent opportunity to get a levelled healer unit, and a few level ones that are close to advancing. The story has a nice (but not unique) introduction. I look to forward to playing this campaign when the bug gets fixed. :)
I believe I've fixed that now- it was an error in the scenario that caused there to be no night/day schedule. Hopefully that shouldn't be a problem anymore.
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

I´m trying now this campaign and overall i must say that you have in here quite a promising start and story (currently on the "Silk Road" scenario). Overall i would say that there's two things that stand out in the campaign as, let's say, odd and that probably are not easy to be changed at this stage:

1-> Although the recruit list is huge, only half of it can be used efficiently. Units such as the thug, footpad and skeletons are too immobile to be used on the sands. The giant leech is a nice addition and 1/2 per scenario can be used, but more than that is too much of a sink in resources;

2-> Beginning with the first story scenario, there's a lot of information to be assimilated in a short amount of time. The combination of that scenario, along with the explanation of Idyr on the next one, makes for quite an exposition all of a sudden.

Playing currently on medium difficulty with BfW 1.12.6. Originally i went with hard, but the second scenario scared me and lowered the difficulty while replaying the campaign from start. Probably was not necessary.
Attachments
TRoJ-Breaking_Through_replay.gz
(72.16 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
TRoJ-All_Sides_Surrounded_replay.gz
(77.72 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
TRoJ-A_New_Enemy_replay.gz
(34.87 KiB) Downloaded 329 times