A Whim of Fate [SP Campaign]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Re: A Whim of Fate [SP Campaign]

Post by Konrad2 »

Removing those 8 income from one side probably helped a lot.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Konrad2 wrote: January 6th, 2019, 10:11 pm Removing those 8 income from one side probably helped a lot.
It cannot compensate losing so much villages.
While people avoid recruitin lvl0 bandits? You missed two free units and a short dialogue story because of it.
Ruffians have imact attacks that are effective against bats. And you can recruit 2 ruffians instead of one mounted peasant! And they have 60% def in villages.
I know what I will do. I will remove blade defense bonus that mounted peasants have from higher level cavalry. They will have will all 0% as peasants or elvish riders do. So bats will attack them much more effectively.
This scenario is about controlling villages and using Karna's teleportation abilities, not just about upgrading Mounted Peasants.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I know what I will do. I will remove blade defense bonus that mounted peasants have from higher level cavalry. They will have will all 0% as peasants or elvish riders do. So bats will attack them much more effectively.
This scenario is about controlling villages and using Karna's teleportation abilities, not just about upgrading Mounted Peasants.
You already said that a few posts ago. xD

And I intentionally avoided recruiting ruffians because they have no ranged attack, so I can't use them without risking that the bats heal up. :/
Also, Mounted Peasants are lawful, so they can go for a counterattack while the bats deal less damage. That's very helpful.

Where would I get those free units? :(
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Konrad2 wrote: January 7th, 2019, 12:59 am Where would I get those free units? :(
There is an event that starts once you recruit first ruffian.
Konrad2 wrote: January 7th, 2019, 12:59 am And I intentionally avoided recruiting ruffians because they have no ranged attack, so I can't use them without risking that the bats heal up. :/
Ruffians need not attack, the need just to sit in the villages. Mages and Volgast attack effectively.

As for the third scenario, you passed it as I designed, so I am content with in.
At second scenario you was risky at the beginning, but after also it was as it should be.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I'm just convinced that you have to deplete the enemy numbers to survive and ruffians seem to be a bad idea for that. :/ I mean, my way works, so that's good for me. :D

EDIT:
Those two free units lack the 'loyal' marker.

EDIT 2:
In 'Berserkers Frenzy' my mages are on my recall list.
And all those loyal units lack a 'loyal' marker. :(
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Konrad2 wrote: January 7th, 2019, 12:22 pm In 'Berserkers Frenzy' my mages are on my recall list.
I fixed this issue in this and other scenarios.
The problem with disappearing leader was because it is seemingly mandatory in 1.14 to define canrecruit=yes and type of the leader even if the leader is inherited from previous scenarios by id (unlike in 1.12).
The problem with other disappearing units was because it is incorrect to define [unit] in the [size] part if it is a recalled unit.
Spent several hours looking for 1.14 related bugs. Also fixed other issues found except non-working lightning animations in cut-scenes.
I missed these bugs because was testing Chapter III only on 1.14 as I remembered. My bad :augh:

New version 1.0.0b uploaded to the server.

Please contine playing the campaign, Konrad2!
(just for info - if you lost autosave for the last turn of Winged forests you can get it from saving the end of the replay)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Did you maybe mixup the starting villages for side 2 and 3?
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Konrad2 wrote: January 7th, 2019, 8:38 pm Did you maybe mixup the starting villages for side 2 and 3?
Omg!
It is leaders who are mixupped!
Gryphons must be on the north-center, berserkers on the north-west corner.
How it was possible omg! Was always ok in 1.12. I will check.

At least it is not something fatal for the gameplay.

EDIT:

I've checked. In the scenario code I put [side] code for side=3 before code side=2.
In 1.12 it was ok and 1.14 mixed sides only because the code for side=3 is earlier. What a stupid 1.14 engine!!!
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Aldarisvet wrote: I've checked. In the scenario code I put [side] code for side=3 before code side=2.
In 1.12 it was ok and 1.14 mixed sides only because the code for side=3 is earlier. What a stupid 1.14 engine!!!
I don't think it's fair to call the engine stupid for expecting the user to create files that make sense. xD
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Konrad2 wrote: January 7th, 2019, 9:34 pm I don't think it's fair to call the engine stupid for expecting the user to create files that make sense. xD
From a view of programming I can declare sides in any order I wish. At least I think so. And it was working in 1.12.

Nevertheless, I fixed that bug. Also I made my classical max_moves=0 feature instead of "passive leaders AI" code that still was there. Also I fixed gryphon attacking in wrong destination in the beginning cut-scene (was attacking north instead of south),

Version 1.0.0ba uploaded into to both servers.

And about villages - I think they are ok. I think I mixed them deliberately. I do not remember actually :P

Thank you for showing me that bug.
Last edited by Aldarisvet on January 7th, 2019, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Konrad2 wrote: January 7th, 2019, 9:34 pm I don't think it's fair to call the engine stupid for expecting the user to create files that make sense. xD
;) true, however I agree with aldarisvet. It seems odd that the engine requires a certain order. In fact, it is a strange rule to be implementing.

It is somewhat disconcerting to think that code that works is being redefined to have to be written in a certain syntax. :whistle:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

A wild replay appears.
And take a look at my recall list in that auto save. Please fix it. xD
Attachments
AWOF-Invisible Green-Auto-Save1.gz
(43.92 KiB) Downloaded 475 times
AWOF-Berserkers Frenzy replay.gz
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Konrad2 wrote: January 7th, 2019, 10:01 pm A wild replay appears.
Was fun to watch a replay with mixed sides. The first and the last of this type it is.
Still you did that did everyone - went and killed north-center enemy leader.
And my idea was that river and hills prevents for cavalry and others to go there. The price must be too much. With time I made more river tiles and mountain tiles around that leader - and still it is not enough :shock:
The idea was to attack the enemy leader at the corner while defending against gryphons.

Another idea was to defend with healer mages in the castle. You missed an opportunity to get XP for healer mages, that will make playing next scenario much harder. However the only one Healer Mage you have alife is ready to advance, that is good.
Konrad2 wrote: January 7th, 2019, 10:01 pm And take a look at my recall list in that auto save. Please fix it. xD
Oh my bad! This is not because of 1.14 as I guess. Velendar should not has an ability to recall Tormir, Ladiletta and others...
I fixed it adding this code:

Code: Select all

[modify_unit]
			[filter]
			id=velendar2
			[/filter]
			[filter_recall]
		        race=drake
		        [/filter_recall]
		[/modify_unit]
Since there are no drakes in my campaign, Velendar will not be able to recall anyone anymore.
Version 1.0.0bb was uploaded on both servers.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

And my idea was that river and hills prevents for cavalry and others to go there. The price must be too much. With time I made more river tiles and mountain tiles around that leader - and still it is not enough :shock:
The idea was to attack the enemy leader at the corner while defending against gryphons.
Is it really such a bad thing that players figure out other ways to go about winning your scenarios? :/
Also, regarding defending using healers:
I doubt that this would work well (that's why I didn't do that.) The Gryphon Riders make sure you will be left with almost no villages pretty soon and defending vs berserkers is almost never a good idea. Doing so with mages (even Runesworded ones) is almost the same as throwing units away.
The problem with river fortifications is, you can't really leave and kill a unit before it attacks you. And that's something you have to to vs berserkers if you don't want to be chipped away at.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Konrad2 wrote: January 8th, 2019, 12:46 pm
Is it really such a bad thing that players figure out other ways to go about winning your scenarios? :/
Also, regarding defending using healers:
I doubt that this would work well (that's why I didn't do that.) The Gryphon Riders make sure you will be left with almost no villages pretty soon and defending vs berserkers is almost never a good idea. Doing so with mages (even Runesworded ones) is almost the same as throwing units away.
The problem with river fortifications is, you can't really leave and kill a unit before it attacks you. And that's something you have to to vs berserkers if you don't want to be chipped away at.
I want to force a player to think and create an unusual tactics, not an obvious one. If a player is able to win a scenario with some simple way it is my fault as a campaign creator. That because I need replays badly.

About particulary this scenario, you played wrong version of the scenario. So berserkers was not a real danger, they had problems crossing the river. Also instead of fighting gryphons where flying around taking villages, that because of wrong sides too I think. I played this scenario many times and was able to control most of villages using Karna. She is everywhere. Controlling villages is the main point in most scenarios of my campaign. This campaign is about using teleportation much.

I think that I will make gryphon leader harder to be reached, almost impossible without heavy losses. But I do not want terrain to look unnatural because of it. That was always a containing factor for me.

And healers really are something not neccessary to win this scenario. They are weak and almost useless. But you have a gold to spend. So your goal is to give them as much XP as possible. They can cope with defending castle villages with Solaevin help who provides leadership bonus over them.