A Whim of Fate [SP Campaign]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: A Whim of Fate [SP Campaign]

Post by Aldarisvet »

sergey wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 9:11 am
Aldarisvet wrote: January 16th, 2019, 11:07 pm How do you see your recall list if you cannot recall them?
Not sure if you already found the answer. As I remeber, clicking alt+r (recall hotkey) is posible on any tile. Actual recall is possible only on a castle tiles of course. By clicking alt+r on a non-castle tile, you can view the whole recall list, no matter if your leader was restricted to recall some of the veterans.
Yes, you can also access a recall list from the top menu. As I guessed, Konrad2's concern was that a player could delete a hero from this recall list so this hero will not appear laterly? So the way to solve it is to store needed heroes and to kill ones that will not appear anymore.

Konrad2 wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 9:27 am Winged Forest
I'm not sure if 'more turns' could compensate for this. :/ As you could see I stopped them just before the bridge, so they didn't have far to go to overrun me. And stopping them there was only possible because of the time my woses and mages bought for me. Adding the flying skulls from the beginning makes this nonviable, as the skulls will demolish the woses (fire dmg) and demolish the mages (magic hit chance, no support from woses). :(
I'm afraid that I'll just be overrun, as recruiting elves wouldn't help either, as the magic hitchance voids their high dodge chance in forests.
Look, you recruited partly Elvish Scouts to send for villages, and partly woses. One Russian player put all gold to woses and was able to defend in the initial camp. While you made a lot of teleportations through the map with silver mages and orderly retreated (at least retreated with Gorandor to the southern camp). These are aspects of the scenario I made this scenario for, and that guy simply defendend a beginning front so enemy flying units even were not able to break up to open space (well, it is open for elves and flying units) with villages.

No, Woses was a trap! A deliberately made trap. This scenario is not about woses, I would say you needn't them. You are to use lvl0 shamans in the large open space surrounded by archers and fighters to stop poison. And woses are to slow. What for I gave elvish adepts to the player? Not only to slow up abaddons in the end. So I want that it would be impossible to hold the initial camp and Gorandor had to go south just after the first turn. My fault was that I put Nightmares into the game too late.

EDIT:

Version 1.0.1a uploaded into both 1.12 and 1.14 servers.
Changes:
1. Leading animations for Solaevin and Sertanis, added 'white leadership' description to Solaevin profiles in Chapter II.
2. Winged forests scenario is now harder as Nightmares appeares a turn earlier.
3. Fixed upkeep problem after heroes advacements (or at least I think I fixed) in all Chapter for all heroes.
4. Corrected some grammar mistakes.
5. Changed enemy leaders in Stacking Bones scenario to Abaddons (previous were too easy to kill).
6. Fixed a bug with Solaevin cannot heal at Chapter III.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
AncientGeneral

Post by AncientGeneral »

Hello Aldarisvet.
I will bother you here too. I started playing Winged forest as soon as I had seen your announcement here about new version. I have successfully defend initial camp as my leader didn't leave it (almost). Two gryphons are lost, it's a heavy strike and difficulties in two future battles. However, in my mind it's possible to save all three gryphons (my laziness didn't allow me to play again). The battle will just last a little longer. Elvish nobles aren't so useful in future, so I don't regret loss two of them.
In scenario Border Wasteland I killed leaders using captured units with berserk on ranged. Too easy way.

Just to remind: silver mage has 50% against fire.
Attachments
AWOF-Winged Forests izi katka2.gz
(90.14 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
Last edited by AncientGeneral on January 28th, 2019, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Stacking Bones
Why does side 3 have an income of 32 gold (opposed to the income of 2 gold by side 2 and 4 each)?
Also, the Master Lich demands upkeep from side 3. xD
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Konrad2 wrote: January 28th, 2019, 9:58 am Stacking Bones
Why does side 3 have an income of 32 gold (opposed to the income of 2 gold by side 2 and 4 each)?
That is deliberately as I remember (I should check what is set for other difficulties).
All the map intended to be overrun by flying skulls.
The main battle should be against them. Yes, there is a special strategy reserved by me to fight them.
Konrad2 wrote: January 28th, 2019, 9:58 am Also, the Master Lich demands upkeep from side 3. xD
I think I kill him after the dialog in the turn 2.

AncientGeneral wrote: January 28th, 2019, 9:27 am Hello Aldarisvet.
I will bother you here too. I started playing Winged forest as soon as I had seen your announcement here about new version. I have successfully defend initial camp as my leader didn't leave it (almost). Two gryphons are lost, it's a heavy strike and difficulties in two future battles. However, in my mind it's possible to save all three gryphons (my laziness didn't allow me to play again). The battle will just last a little longer. Elvish nobles aren't so useful in future, so I don't regret loss two of them.
Just to remind: silver mage has 50% against fire.
Thank you for the replay.
Even despite the way you passed this scenario for now I am not going to make this scenario harder until I pass it myself with my own strategy.
AncientGeneral wrote: January 28th, 2019, 9:27 am In scenario Border Wasteland I killed leaders using captured units with berserk on ranged. Too easy way.
Of course you should prefer capturing deadeyes. They are slow but easely can kill any hero in the berserk mode. I had not not much feedback for the Chapter III so I can adjust scenarios to make them more challenging on Hard with time.
AncientGeneral

Post by AncientGeneral »

Aldarisvet wrote: January 28th, 2019, 10:12 am Of course you should prefer capturing deadeyes. They are slow but easely can kill any hero in the berserk mode. I had not not much feedback for the Chapter III so I can adjust scenarios to make them more challenging on Hard with time.
I mean that it's a little illogical: one unit could kill full hp enemy leader in one attack. I need 3-4 silver mages to kill the same leader without deadeye. Perhaps, the whole idea of berserk on range is illogical. It's possible to explain why berserk can be applied to melee (crazy unit attacked another one and nobody can decouple them because of extremly short distance), but I don't see way which berserk on ranged could be explained. Because of deadeyes my paladins and gryphons were useless (i didn't know that it was last scenario with paladins and gryphons). If you wonder I play it on easy difficulty.

I also had some comments for scenarios Stacking bones and Clouded land (easy too). You had seen both replays (partially). It was a great pain to move many units to frontline during one turn. In this two scenarios I had a lot unit and in Clouded land half of them didn't even reach enemies. All I can remember is endeless moving dozens of units.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

AncientGeneral wrote: January 29th, 2019, 2:45 pm I mean that it's a little illogical: one unit could kill full hp enemy leader in one attack. I need 3-4 silver mages to kill the same leader without deadeye. Perhaps, the whole idea of berserk on range is illogical.
Really it is useless to discuss an easy difficulty. For any scenario. What is easy must be easy to play. It is for unexperienced players.
I myself played on Hard only.
Deadeyes are quite dangerous. On hard Border Wasteland scenario is not easy at all. I am absolutely sure about it. It cannot be win without thinking.

And I see nothing bad that enemy leaders can be easely killed with deadeyes. To protect leaders I put deadeyes guardians around.
AncientGeneral

Post by AncientGeneral »

Astral duel on hard. Next scenario was failed.

How do you explain berserk on ranged?
Attachments
AWOF-Astral Duel.gz
(30.57 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

AncientGeneral wrote: January 30th, 2019, 3:58 pm Astral duel on hard. Next scenario was failed.

How do you explain berserk on ranged?
Well, I've just watched it.
Was not easy at all compared to easy difficulty, yes? And you got +4% luck.
The main AI's problem here that he do not know that he can use triange formation to prevent backstabbing his units. But at least he understand how to backstab.

And about the next scenario, what do you mean "it was failed"?
AncientGeneral

Post by AncientGeneral »

Aldarisvet wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 7:12 pm And about the next scenario, what do you mean "it was failed"?
I can't win it.

As before, I lead my main forces against skulls, and make attempt to quickly finish fish leader by mages and gryphons. Previous experience showed that shamans especially efficient against skulls, so my plan was to destroy skull's main forces by using only shamans with leadership support. Fish and skulls are classified as the most dangerous becouse of flying and high mobility. Unfortunally, fish leader can recruit a lot of fish and my mages and gryphons could be killed in single turn. Because of bad terrain I can't make solid frontline against skulls and my goblins are useless. Thus I can't deal with two dangerous opponents (skulls&fish) at the same time.

I have another plan - put all my forces against fish and then occupy bottom right corner. My mages are strong against skulls, beasts are slow and I hope I will have sufficient gold for shamans recruiting, so I will have good chances to retake whole map. However, thank to my laziness, I will not try to implement this plan.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

AncientGeneral wrote: February 3rd, 2019, 5:14 pm
Aldarisvet wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 7:12 pm And about the next scenario, what do you mean "it was failed"?
I can't win it.

As before, I lead my main forces against skulls, and make attempt to quickly finish fish leader by mages and gryphons. Previous experience showed that shamans especially efficient against skulls, so my plan was to destroy skull's main forces by using only shamans with leadership support. Fish and skulls are classified as the most dangerous becouse of flying and high mobility. Unfortunally, fish leader can recruit a lot of fish and my mages and gryphons could be killed in single turn. Because of bad terrain I can't make solid frontline against skulls and my goblins are useless. Thus I can't deal with two dangerous opponents (skulls&fish) at the same time.
You guessed about the right way to play but the quality of implementation (micromanagement) is important too. However I played the version when there were not Abaddons but lvl4 skulls, bones and piranhas leaders instead.. I think it is time for me to try Chapter III again myself.

Edit:
I was able to pass Winged forests in 46 turns with my retreat strategy (actually there is no other way than to retreat). For that I had to edit save file, because at the current moment time limit is 35. Scenario became radically harder than it was when Master with flying skulls was appearing only on the turn 5. Yet I was able to save all loyal units and even andvance some of them or gave them a lot of XP. I did use reloads of turns a lot but not for getting better chances, but for correcting mistakes. In fact statistics shows I got some unluck. In general I am very content with this scenario now. At least "only Woses" strategy will not let a player to hold the initial camp (however my original idea about active using of elvish adepts found no place in this scenario). I will put a time limit for all difficulties for this scenario to 50 with next update of the campaign.

Edit2:

After some consideration I found that still something must be done with this scenario because it became too hard and 46 turns are way too long. So I reduced beginning gold for the player by 100 and also reduced beginning gold of every AI by 100 (400 total). However the beginning pressure of AI is still very high and recucing 100 gold means that a player cannot recruit 10 more woses which really makes a difference. So the retreat is inevitable. I passed this version of the scenario for 26 turns and got no advancements this time. I will set a time limit to 30 turns and all changes will be uploaded with the next release.

I put a replay and a save file here so if someone has problems with this scenario, he can use them to conutinue.
Attachments
AWOF-Winged Forests replay-Final Version.gz
(78.19 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
AWOF-Winged Forests Turn 26-Final Version.gz
(96.94 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
AWOF-Winged Forests replay-Aldarisvet.gz
(129.22 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Here is the replay how I played Stacking Bones scenario and it shows how it should to be played as I designed. In general I totally defeated the enemy but after 23 turns it seems I failed to kill enemy leaders in 30 turns bacause Abaddons are really very hard to kill.
My decision to change enemy leaders to Abaddons in this scenario was a mistake. I will roll it back with the next release.
I wanted some logic in what type of units the enemy leaders should be. They were Abaddons in all scenarios except Staking Bones.
I think I made another attempt, I will put other type of leaders from Destroyers faction in Clouded Land and Border Wasteland scenarios.

EDIT:
Version 1.0.1b is on the server.
Old leaders back in Stacking bones. Also I replaced Abaddons with lvl4 Three-Handed in Border Wasteland scenario so they woudnt be easely berserker-lasered.
Attachments
AWOF-Stacking Bones Turn 23--.gz
(100.17 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
luisenrique

Post by luisenrique »

Hello,

I write you here about "Pocket collapse". The scenario sounds rather easy to solve, but it seems I have some bug that avoids me to pass this "labyrinth". When I follow the advice to teleport from ice to desert while having a castle, nothing happens. Any idea where comes the problem, please ? Many thanks in advance !
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

luisenrique wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 9:21 am Hello,

I write you here about "Pocket collapse". The scenario sounds rather easy to solve, but it seems I have some bug that avoids me to pass this "labyrinth". When I follow the advice to teleport from ice to desert while having a castle, nothing happens. Any idea where comes the problem, please ? Many thanks in advance !
Hi!
I think you missed something.
Here is the replay how to pass the first labyrinth. It is not so trivial to guess how to teleport the right way.
Attachments
AWOF-Pocket Collapse-unfinished replay.gz
(32.14 KiB) Downloaded 663 times
luisenrique

Post by luisenrique »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the file, it helped ! I did the right way, but really thought it was over after teleporting from ice to desert, why I thought there was some bug. I just did not realize a new village appeared on top right. I indeed missed to look on the corner. I am going on the scenario now.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

luisenrique wrote: February 23rd, 2019, 7:37 pm Hi,

Thanks a lot for the file, it helped ! I did the right way, but really thought it was over after teleporting from ice to desert, why I thought there was some bug. I just did not realize a new village appeared on top right. I indeed missed to look on the corner. I am going on the scenario now.
I would be happy if you provide me replays of how you pass the campaign. That will help me to improve the campaign. You can upload them right here, in your post.