Forgiving and Unforgiving Hardcore Mod (a.k.a. permadeath)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dugi

Forgiving and Unforgiving Hardcore Mod (a.k.a. permadeath)

Post by Dugi »

Hey guys,

I've made an add-on that will transform all singleplayer content into a nightmare, turning even boring passages into challenge. When a unit dies, it stays dead, no matter what you do. Reloading will not bring it back. If you have a leader exposed, you will have to take really strong care to prevent him from accidentally dying, because that would make all previous save files unusable.

It also might help some chronic reloaders.

It does not affect player ally sides, because you can't prevent some AI mistakes. It does not penalise for having lost due to running out of turns in any way.

It comes in two flavours, Unforgiving Hardcore Mod and Forgiving Hardcore Mod. In the Forgiving one, you can bring the dead back by restarting the scenario. The Unforgiving one does not allow anything like that, no way to get that unit back, you can only load save files from times before the unit came to your game.

It's available on the add-ons server for version 1.12. If you want to get rid of it, uninstall it and restart the scenario (its effect remains in all mid-scenario saves).

Feedback is welcome here.
Last edited by Dugi on April 26th, 2015, 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taptap

Re: Unforgiving Hardcore Mod (a.k.a. permadeath)

Post by taptap »

Isn't this the normal gameplay?
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Dugi

Re: Unforgiving Hardcore Mod (a.k.a. permadeath)

Post by Dugi »

No. Let's say that you have a unit named Steve and he dies in turn 22. He was quite valuable, so you reload to turn 21, before he was dead. This thing causes him to stay dead even after loading the save file from turn 21, or from the previous scenario or anything. They will be like before, just without Steve. He dies once, he stays dead, no matter what you load.
Dugi

Forgiving Hardcore Mod

Post by Dugi »

I have added a variation of Unforgiving Hardcore Mod, called Forgiving Harcore Mod, where you can get the units back by restarting the scenario. This is mainly focused on chronic reloaders rather than people seeking heavy challenge. Enjoy.
HolyDiver

Re: Forgiving and Unforgiving Hardcore Mod (a.k.a. permadeat

Post by HolyDiver »

So, I've installed Unforgiving Mode. I haven't noticed any differences - after reloading dead units are alive again.
HolyDiver

Post by HolyDiver »

Okay Dugi, it seems that your mode works in regular campaigns but not in LOTI
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

I'd like to see the campaign master player who reloads/restarts the campaign when loosing a leader or loyal unit. Is that what the unforgiving mode is about ?! The people reporting in the feedback threads, playing at the highest difficulty, always allow scenario restarts.
Scenario restarts already take a ridiculous amount of time. Despite the balancing guideline being that a good player should be able to beat on the first attempt, which is of course garbage, as knowing the scenario is such a huge difference.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Anonymissimus wrote:I'd like to see the campaign master player who reloads/restarts the campaign when loosing a leader or loyal unit. Is that what the unforgiving mode is about ?! The people reporting in the feedback threads, playing at the highest difficulty, always allow scenario restarts.
Scenario restarts already take a ridiculous amount of time. Despite the balancing guideline being that a good player should be able to beat on the first attempt, which is of course garbage, as knowing the scenario is such a huge difference.
Mainline campaigns are designed in a way that restart from scenario 1 after a defeat is too painfull, and really is not expected players do it. However not all user made campaigns are designed that way, I know several players that have played in "unforgiven mode" World Conquest for years even before dugi developed this stuff.

As side note, I never realized why all mainline campaigns asumed this as core idea in its design. From 0 to 10, I would give them an 1 as average note to their replayability.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

HolyDiver wrote:So, I've installed Unforgiving Mode. I haven't noticed any differences - after reloading dead units are alive again.
HolyDiver wrote:Okay Dugi, it seems that your mode works in regular campaigns but not in LOTI
I didn't know that it doesn't work with it. I'll try to learn why.

@Anonymissimus
I did not follow any real purpose for creating it, writing it took me only like three hours. I just thought that it might be an interesting challenge for some people.
shishkin

Post by shishkin »

Great mod, thanks.
I found out that it works just fine when other mods (sp and mp) are turned off
blue_ocean

Post by blue_ocean »

I installed the Forgiving Hardcore Mod. I'm playing a recently installed Wesnoth 1.12.6 with no other add-ons/mods installed.

I tested that mod out by starting up Wesnoth then trying a newly created classic campaign (Heir to the Throne). Created various saves on Turn 1 and Turn 2. Was able to reload to both. Tried other campaigns with same result. The Forgiving Hardcore Mod doesn't appear to work. What can I do to fix it?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

@shishkin
Do you mean that it clashes with other mods?

@blue_ocean
It does not prevent you from reloading. It just removes units that had died from them.
Dugi wrote:Let's say that you have a unit named Steve and he dies in turn 22. He was quite valuable, so you reload to turn 21, before he was dead. This thing causes him to stay dead even after loading the save file from turn 21, or from the previous scenario or anything. They will be like before, just without Steve.